Old 07-17-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
The original Planet of the Apes.

The whole premise is, their spaceship has landed on an alien planet far from earth...and the big M Night Shyamalan reveal at the end with the Statue of Liberty...that they're STILL on Earth?

We saw feral humans, sentient chimps, gorillas, and orangutans, traditional horses, oxygen atmosphere, normal gravity and temperature, a dug-up human doll that says "mama".

I'm sure if he cared to check he'd find earth-native vegetation and salt water in the ocean.

How can anybody be surprised this is earth?

(Far in the future or parallel universe, but still earth!)

Yet it is an awesome concept and movie!
Fucking Charlton Heston mannnn....always gave 110%.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
The original Planet of the Apes.

The whole premise is, their spaceship has landed on an alien planet far from earth...and the big M Night Shyamalan reveal at the end with the Statue of Liberty...that they're STILL on Earth?

We saw feral humans, sentient chimps, gorillas, and orangutans, traditional horses, oxygen atmosphere, normal gravity and temperature, a dug-up human doll that says "mama".

I'm sure if he cared to check he'd find earth-native vegetation and salt water in the ocean.

Yet it is an awesome concept and movie!

I had all the same thoughts about the original movie when I first saw it -- and I was 12 at the time.

But I wrote it off when I learned that Rod Serling had written the original script. Serling could write a helluva script, but he frequently gave Science and Reality a pass, as he'd proven endless times in The Twilight Zone, where asteroids could have earth-normal gravity and atmospheres, or people could crash-land on an asteroid and have no idea where they were, or the like. The first Planet of the Apes film feels, despite all the rewrites done by others, like a very big, expensive, color episode of TZ.

(And there are other things about the film that annoy me, although those are the work of other writers, I think. The ape society doesn't feel like a society on the brink of disaster because of food shortage. The Ape City is too small to support the kind of society it claims to be doing. Certainly no city that small and starving ought to have a freakin' museum! Serling apparently wanted to depict a society with cities the size of modern cities.)

But I have to admit that the overall design of the Ape City and the music really do put this film in a class of its own. Despite the major stupidities, it's worth the watch.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Note also that the the constellations would have been recognizable as well (even if a bit distorted) (and if Heston ever saw the moon, it's game over man).
Old 07-17-2019, 03:16 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Different characters. Gov. LePetomane was played by Mel Brooks, and Hedley Lamarr was played by Harvey Korman (respectively).

Yes, I've watched this movie at least a few dozen times. Nearly 50, and still laugh myself silly at the campfire scene. I especially like how the fire flares in time with the sound effects.
All these years later I still love Blazing Saddles, have watched it dozens of times, and I can't believe that I never noticed this. Now I'll have to watch it again!
Old 07-17-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

I'm of the opinion that farts are not always inherently funny.

But sometimes, they can be, and that scene is one of the proofs.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
(And there are other things about the film that annoy me, although those are the work of other writers, I think. The ape society doesn't feel like a society on the brink of disaster because of food shortage. The Ape City is too small to support the kind of society it claims to be doing. Certainly no city that small and starving ought to have a freakin' museum! Serling apparently wanted to depict a society with cities the size of modern cities.)
Not sure I understand. Was the ape society supposed to be on the brink of disaster? As for the size of the Ape City, I assumed that what we saw was only part of a larger civilization.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy the Pig View Post
Not sure I understand. Was the ape society supposed to be on the brink of disaster? As for the size of the Ape City, I assumed that what we saw was only part of a larger civilization.
Yep. Pay attention to the debates in the Ape council. The human problem is becoming intolerable.

And while the intent may have been that the Ape society was much larger, the depiction in the film really didn't give tat impression. There certainly may have been a few more Ape communities, but then again, they're restricted by that Forbidden Zone. The film doesn't really give the feel of a big, worldwide Ape civilization -- it gives the feel of a largely desert world with few, possibly only one, ape cities.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Serling apparently wanted to depict a society with cities the size of modern cities.)
There was the Saturday morning cartoon Return To The Planet Of The Apes, which followed the original French novel in having the apes have an approximately 20th century level of industrial tech.

P.S. My fanwank is that the television series of Planet of the Apes followed the post-movie altered timeline, where humans weren't driven out into the desert to become mute savages, but they did become a discriminated minority reduced to serfdom.

Last edited by Lumpy; 07-18-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Titanic
Old 07-18-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTank View Post
My nom is Buckaroo Banzai: Across The 8th Dimension.
NOW we're talking. That's one I always want to watch, can't find readily, and for some reason can't bring myself to buy.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
There was the Saturday morning cartoon Return To The Planet Of The Apes, which followed the original French novel in having the apes have an approximately 20th century level of industrial tech.
The level of technology in the movie seemed a little slippery--the apes' material technology was roughly Eighteenth Century, but they had a more modern understanding of medicine, psychology, and archaeology, including the ability to perform a lobotomy. Oh, and they had a camera.

That's part of why I assumed, without much thinking about it, that there had to be more to ape society then what we were shown. Thinking about it too much is probably not a good idea.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Not quite the 70's, but this made me think of Where Eagles Dare from 1968, a terrific WWII action/thriller.
"...Broadsword calling Danny Boy...!"
Old 07-26-2019, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

I love the Ju-52 in winter camouflage.

Last edited by Icerigger; 07-26-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:53 AM

Buckaroo Banzai - fits the OP - I've never made it through the first 15 minutes

For me it's 'Hells Angels on Wheels' - cheesey biker flick that I've watched a number of times but God only knows why
Old 08-02-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Jesus Christ Superstar. I don't know if God knows why, but Norman Jewison sure does.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Overboard was on E! last night and I stopped to watch it through the end, even with the commercials. This is a movie that could well have been awful (and in fact the recent remake was awful) but it worked really well. (Similarly, Fright Night and Footloose both worked but the recent remakes were awful. Sadly I hear that Clueless is also to be remade. Instead of remaking a movie that worked, why not remake one that didn't?)
Old 08-02-2019, 09:57 AM

^ Yeah, like, "The Giant Gila Monster"?

(MST3K's send-up is a stone riot.)
Old 08-02-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ice Pirates
Hudson Hawk
Shock Treatment
Brain Smasher: A Love Story

If I invite you over for a movie marathon, you definitely will regret it.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:16 PM

I LOVE Hudson Hawk. I don't understand why it was so badly reviewed. Overboard is a hilarious romance where two awful people get what they deserve-- each other and a bunch of horrible kids.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:29 PM

I just watched WarGames for the first time in decades. Going into it I expected it to be dated, a product of the global politics and technology at the time it was filmed. Although it was a time capsule of the world of computers circa 1983, it was still a great story that has held up. Some parts work even better now. Like the self-taught machine learning that was a little science-fictiony at the time, which today is how Google's AlphaGo figured out how to beat the best human Go players.