Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM

I absolutely loved it. It was sufficiently its own story that it felt newish and I've fallen in love with this bit, although it turns out a 10 hour loop is too much. I did enjoy it for 25 minutes though, and then starting missing it two minutes after turning it off.

YouTube link in spoiler tags just for extra caution since it's from the last episode:
Old 07-11-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Yeah, but, lets assume that was true in-universe (and that it is necessary to dress in full Russian military attire in Indiana deep underground). Why were they there?
I assumed they had a spy in the U.S. gov't that told them about the facility doing research into psychic powers and dimensional travel and they didn't want to have a psychic/dimensional weapon gap with the U.S.

The Russian technician ("Smirnoff") specifically mentioned that they couldn't break through the dimensional barrier in Russia, but in Hawkins the barrier was particularly thin. Remember his demonstration with the straw poking through a napkin?
Old 07-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

We started watching a couple nights ago... ep 1 and 2 the first night, 3 and 4 last night. My wife said two a night is enough otherwise she won't be able to get to sleep.

At one point during episode 4 we both blurted out at the same time "Doesn't anybody dry off after they take a shower?" Earlier in the episode it was Hooper, later it was Billy. They both started getting dressed while they were still soaking wet. WTH?

The little girl coming to the ice cream store every day asking for samples was simultaneously annoying and hilarious. "You can't spell 'America' without 'Erica'."
Old 07-12-2019, 09:40 AM

So much for no spoilers.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:08 AM

It's kind of pointless to put everything in spoiler tags in a thread like this. Much easier to just give a warning in the OP that there will be open spoilers throughout the thread. Those who haven't watched the season yet aren't likely to come into the thread anyways.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
It's kind of pointless to put everything in spoiler tags in a thread like this. Much easier to just give a warning in the OP that there will be open spoilers throughout the thread. Those who haven't watched the season yet aren't likely to come into the thread anyways.

Agreed. But that’s not what the OP requested.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
I'm told that there are a lot of spoilers in this thread. But the report just pointed to the OP, and I have no idea what is or is not a spoiler. If there are any spoilers, please report the specific posts that are the problem, and describe what needs to be edited. Oh, and stop posting spoilers, too, I guess.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:57 PM

I created the OP stating spoiler-free open for discussion and that I shouldnít just make the rule. Having opened this fairly quickly after it came out I figured that there should be some reasonable period for people to read spoiler-free reviews. I have concluded to 8/1 is too far and am taking it upon myself to unilaterally change the guideline.

OPEN SPOILERS AHEAD

Be so advised.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
I created the OP stating spoiler-free open for discussion and that I shouldn’t just make the rule. Having opened this fairly quickly after it came out I figured that there should be some reasonable period for people to read spoiler-free reviews. I have concluded to 8/1 is too far and am taking it upon myself to unilaterally change the guideline.

OPEN SPOILERS AHEAD

Be so advised.

You may want to include the spoiler warning in your title in case someone misses this post.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
You may want to include the spoiler warning in your title in case someone misses this post.
Request made.

I do think that the best approach for these dropped seasons is some arbitrary period of spoiler-free so those who ave not yet binged can get some reviews, but keeping that period short enough that it isn't too annoying to others. Agree that until 8/1 is too long. One week would be I think too short.

Accepting my premise that there should be some time period, what time period seems right?
Old 07-12-2019, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Accepting my premise that there should be some time period, what time period seems right?
July 18 is two weeks. Good?
Old 07-12-2019, 11:01 PM

Now. NOW is good! If you haven't watched it, and don't want spoilers, then don't open a thread about it. Ferchrissakes why is that so difficult?
Old 07-12-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Request made.

I do think that the best approach for these dropped seasons is some arbitrary period of spoiler-free so those who ave not yet binged can get some reviews, but keeping that period short enough that it isn't too annoying to others. Agree that until 8/1 is too long. One week would be I think too short.

A couple of weeks seems right to me, a time frame which we are still in. Maybe more people just need to learn how to use spoiler tags; it’s not that
SPOILER:
hard.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:36 AM

Another message board I frequent has a method for movies that works pretty well. There will be an 'anticipation' thread for discussion before the release of the movie and spoiler-free discussion after the release. A second thread is opened when the movie comes out and that thread has open spoilers from the get-go (and the title indicates as such).

Seems like that would be the best way to do it, and the safest way for 'virgins' to remain unspoiled.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, we often have that with movies, too, but it's not systematic. Usually someone who's interested just creates the anticipation thread, and whoever happens to see it first creates the "seen it" thread.

But in the meanwhile, it looks like this should satisfy the consensus in this thread?
Old 07-13-2019, 03:30 PM

I think the “American” comment is a red herring re: Hopper. It’s Brenner in the Russian prison. Hopper, however is alive, but in the Upside Down. He squeezed through the opening just before the explosion.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
I think the ďAmericanĒ comment is a red herring re: Hopper. Itís Brenner in the Russian prison. Hopper, however is alive, but in the Upside Down. He squeezed through the opening just before the explosion.
I also had the idea that they might have an Expedition to the Upside Down trip next year. I hope Barb stays dead, though; having her survive for several years just to please a few fans seems kind of like a cop out.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:15 PM

Too many scenes with the savior coming from just off screen in the nick of time. The Russians having a gigantic underground base in the US isn't believable. Plot wasn't different enough from previous seasons.

I like the performances and the nostalgia, but I was pretty bored through a lot of this. I'll probably skip next season unless it gets rave reviews.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:32 AM

Wow, I am utterly shocked to read so many people here thought this season was good. It was easily the worst of the 3! The first season was so great and it’s been going steadily downhill.

Did I miss some piece of expository dialogue or were the Evil Russians wanting to open the gate just because they were Evil Russians and had to do something Evil? Not one throwaway line to explain what their purpose was? Just fucking dumb. The scenes of the kids were fun, but everything to do with the Evil Russians were some of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen.

Oh and any time a major character is killed and you don’t actually see their death, they’re not actually dead.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:54 PM

So depicting the U.S. government as evil in Season 1 is A-OK, but depicting the Soviet government as evil in Season 3 is stupid?
Old 07-14-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
So depicting the U.S. government as evil in Season 1 is A-OK, but depicting the Soviet government as evil in Season 3 is stupid?

It’s stupid, because how would they have gotten all that equipment in there to make the superlab thousands of feet under the mall without being detected? This was more elaborate than Gus Fring’s lab on Breaking Bad.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
Itís stupid, because how would they have gotten all that equipment in there to make the superlab thousands of feet under the mall without being detected? This was more elaborate than Gus Fringís lab on Breaking Bad.
Under the cover of building the Starcourt Mall obviously (using 1980s Spielbergian logic)
Old 07-14-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
The villains in S1 were given a motive. I don’t mind Russians as the villains as long as their purpose is more than simply being “Evil Russians for no reason.”

And agreed. Them being able to build a huge underground complex with miles of tunnels with no one knowing was stupid.

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 07-14-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Did I miss some piece of expository dialogue or were the Evil Russians wanting to open the gate just because they were Evil Russians and had to do something Evil? Not one throwaway line to explain what their purpose was? Just fucking dumb.
As I said above, it was obvious to me that they were doing the research in order to keep up with the U.S. and they had a stated reason why it had to be in Hawkins. So that part didn't bother me.

Quote:
The scenes of the kids were fun, but everything to do with the Evil Russians were some of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen.
I think it's a legitimate criticism to say that some parts of the season were goofier than previous seasons. I find the goofiness appealing (I couldn't get past the first two humourless episodes of the German show "Dark"), and I don't have a problem with the notion that a world inspired by '80s novels like "It" and "Firestarter" can also be inspired by cheesy '80s action movies like "Invasion U.S.A." and "Cloak and Dagger".

But I can certainly see how some people might think that Season 1 level of goofiness is the most they can stand. I read one review that said that the Terminator-style Russian spy was the worst part of the whole series. I thought that was the best part, but it was a bit silly.

Last edited by hogarth; 07-14-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:57 PM

Yeah, the Terminator guy was the worst part of the whole thing. A homage is one thing, a straight copy, down to an actor who even looks like Arnold, is again a sign of lazy writing.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:13 PM

I’ve never been a fan of any of those 80s Cold War Russia spy action movies, which I’m sure also is why I really disliked this season. Not my thing at all. I guess if you like those, this would be more to your taste. I loved the first season of Stranger Things because it could have been straight out a Stephen King novel.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:41 AM

Russians building and running that huge lab in the center of the continental US was very stupid, agreed, but possibly even stupider was that they were wearing Russian uniforms.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:52 AM

It's all a question of taste of course, but I have trouble accepting "kids saving the world while bumbling adults miss all the cues" as a less goofy trope than "evil Russians" and/or "villains build large base in secret".
Old 07-15-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Iíve never been a fan of any of those 80s Cold War Russia spy action movies, which Iím sure also is why I really disliked this season. Not my thing at all. I guess if you like those, this would be more to your taste. I loved the first season of Stranger Things because it could have been straight out a Stephen King novel.
But of course a main schtick of the show that it sends up, mocks, and honors, popular media culture of the time in which the show was set. Hell, 1985 even had Rocky IV with the Soviet Ivan Drago as the bad guy ... it is a movie meme of the time that couldn't not throw in the mix. Day of the Dead, the zombie movie that is the biggest influence for the season, was Romero's parody of Cold War militarism. His earlier Dawn of the Dead (1978) had been set in a mall, making fun of consumerism, but and they went there too.

Having fun with the stupid of the time is part of the point!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Russians building and running that huge lab in the center of the continental US was very stupid, agreed, but possibly even stupider was that they were wearing Russian uniforms.
What should have they worn instead?
Old 07-15-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
What should have they worn instead?
Generic mercenary gear. On a covert op a thousand behind enemy lines, the last thing you want to do is give away the presence of Russians at all. One lost (damaged?) uniform and you risk exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
It's all a question of taste of course, but I have trouble accepting "kids saving the world while bumbling adults miss all the cues" as a less goofy trope than "evil Russians" and/or "villains build large base in secret".
I have no complaint about a large secret base, but not one that's the better part of 1000 miles inside enemy territory. It's the equivalent of a large American underground base just outside Moscow in the 80s.

I don't love the "kids save the world from bumbling adults" trope, but I can look past it if the rest of the story feels authentic. In Super 8, for example, I didn't mind the trope. But as soon as you add in a dopey cartoon / comic book element, I start to zone out. For clarity, I don't consider the supernatural stuff in the show "dopey." I mean a giant secret Russian lab in the friggin American midwest in the 1980s? Where's Boris and Natasha?

Now I'm imagining poor Philip and Elizabeth from the Americans trying to Gus Fring that lab into existence.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:38 PM

Russians building a secret facility under a mall in some podunk town is part of the nostalgia. No more out of place than the Terminator guy or the Alien blood.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Now I'm imagining poor Philip and Elizabeth from the Americans trying to Gus Fring that lab into existence.
Philip: "They want us to build a huge underground lab beneath a mall in Indiana? This is nuts! We have to refuse."

Elizabeth: "Maybe if I have sex with the Mayor..."
Old 07-15-2019, 05:18 PM

I don't think it was as good as Season 1 but much better than Season 2. One plothole I noticed: What was the Terminator doing at the Hawkins Lab? The Russians weren't doing anything there. If Hopper had never been attacked, he wouldn't have made the connection to the mayor, and wouldn't have figured everything out.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:50 PM

Did seasons 1 and 2 have as many direct 90s pop culture references as season 3? I can't remember.

I mean, they can do whatever they want, but I just hope this doesn't portend we'll be seeing, like, Justin Bieber or Entourage references in season 4.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
Did seasons 1 and 2 have as many direct 90s pop culture references as season 3? I can't remember.
What 90's references?
Old 07-15-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
What 90's references?
The Steve and Robbin truth serum scene borrows heavily from the truth serum scene in True Lies from 1994.

Robbin getting the blueprints to Starcourt and saying "it is fascinating what 20 bucks will get you at the county recorder's office" is almost verbatim a line said by Carl in Sneakers from 1992 when he obtains the blueprints to the Playtronics building.

I've seen people mention other 90s references, but most of those are tenuous connections at best, in my opinion. These two are the ones that stood out to me, anyway.

Last edited by zbuzz; 07-15-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:41 AM

I'd say both of those are pretty tenuous, too.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I'd say both of those are pretty tenuous, too.
Seen a lot of movies where someone gets blueprints for a building they have to sneak through and says the line "it is fascinating what 20 bucks will get you at the county recorder's office" have you?
Old 07-16-2019, 03:32 AM

Dude, you're the only person in the world who remembers Sneakers.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:41 AM

Well, me and the Duffer brothers, anyway.

eta
Or Kate Trefry who wrote the episode.

Last edited by zbuzz; 07-16-2019 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:54 AM

That makes it more of an Easter egg than a reference.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:42 PM

Quick question: Who is Max living with now?

My blog sucks.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Quick question: Who is Max living with now?
I assume her mom & step-dad?
Old 07-16-2019, 02:27 PM

I Her dad, maybe? I am remembering a scene where her dad humiliates Billy.. I think I could be confusing this scene with a scene from a movie-- American Beauty? It's terrible when your memory starts to go.

My blog sucks.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I Her dad, maybe? I am remembering a scene where her dad humiliates Billy.. I think I could be confusing this scene with a scene from a movie-- American Beauty? It's terrible when your memory starts to go.
Billy's Dad is her step-Dad and he absolutely bullies Billy the Bully.
Max's Mom is Billy's step-Mom.
Billy's Mom is never seen except in Billy's memory.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:57 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Just finished watching S3. I liked it, thought it was better than S2.

One thing thing that stood out for me: I don't think I've ever seen a series where so many people (and things) in fight scenes get thrown up against walls.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:32 PM

Also just finished and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd rank them best to worst as S1, S3, and S2.

Putting this in a spoiler box even though it says open spoilers just to be polite.

SPOILER:
One question one something I didn't quite understand - They stated that last time 11 closed the portal but a piece of the MindFlayer was left here. As a result, you have the MindFlayer in our world slowly gathering strength via rats then people. Therefore the group realized they had to both close the portal -and- kill the MindFlayer that was here. Yet in the finale it seemed to me all they did was close the portal and when that happened the MindFlayer just sorta... died as a result? I guess I expected the kids would have also killed it somehow but that didn't seem to be the case.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
Also just finished and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd rank them best to worst as S1, S3, and S2.

Putting this in a spoiler box even though it says open spoilers just to be polite.

SPOILER:
One question one something I didn't quite understand - They stated that last time 11 closed the portal but a piece of the MindFlayer was left here. As a result, you have the MindFlayer in our world slowly gathering strength via rats then people. Therefore the group realized they had to both close the portal -and- kill the MindFlayer that was here. Yet in the finale it seemed to me all they did was close the portal and when that happened the MindFlayer just sorta... died as a result? I guess I expected the kids would have also killed it somehow but that didn't seem to be the case.
SPOILER:
I think that was just their first working theory. Later on, it became clear that the Russian's opening the door enabled the Mind Flayer to exert some kind of influence on stuff on this side, which it gradually built up into the meat puppet effigy of itself. With the door closed, that influence ceased.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post

SPOILER:
The new gate wasn't open, it was "opening." So the Mind Flayer was basically able to get a signal to the piece of it on our side, without being able to actually come through itself.