Old 07-11-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Technically, Ariel was modelled after Alyssa Milano.
Actually, it was Sherri Stoner who served as the live-action model for the character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XA5aJDLuw0
Old 07-11-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
The idea that Halle Bailey was the most qualified candidate seems to strike so many (white) people as crazy. To me, as a black woman, this skepticism is quite discomfiting.
And also IMO not at all convincing. It's ignoring the elephant in the room, namely the obvious fact that any actress playing Ariel has got to be an absolutely kick-ass singer.

It's one thing for live-action Belle or Cinderella to be an inexperienced or undistinguished vocalist, because the character isn't noted for singing. But Ariel is supposed to have the most beautiful singing voice in the whole undersea world, isn't she? Certainly a huge chunk of the plot hinges on how wonderful and memorable her voice is.

Add to that the fact that Ariel is supposed to be only 16, and you realize that the combination of characteristics---(1) having exceptional singing talent and beautiful voice; (2) looking no older than a teenager; (3) physically resembling cartoon Ariel---rules out a lot of potential choices. I would not be at all surprised to learn that Halle Bailey was absolutely the best fit for the part, completely irrespective of any diversity considerations.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
I would not be at all surprised to learn that Halle Bailey was absolutely the best fit for the part, completely irrespective of any diversity considerations.
Same here. With Lin-Manuel Miranda being part of this thing’s creative team, think about the missed opportunity not to use “race-bending” to optimize the talent pool.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I have the same problem with people the same race as me (or pretty close*.) For instance, in Stranger Things I sometimes confuse the skinny white kid who got sent to the Upside Down with the skinny white kid who found Eleven. Also camera guy and used-to-be-a-jerk guy.
The first one isn't just you. I spend a lot of my viewing time trying to find specific phrases to distinguish between Will and Mike, so I can tell apart the two skinny white boys with kind of long dark brown hair.

But camera boy has bad hair and used-to-be-a-jerk guy has good hair. I have a lot harder time telling apart the older teenage white boys with good hair.

I'm definitely below average in telling people apart by faces. The things I tend to look at are skin color, hair color, and hair style. If two people are similar in all three categories, it's a helluva thing to tell them apart, and I have to come up with specific phrases ("this brown-haired white boy student has a slightly longer nose than that brown-haired white boy student; this short-haired black boy student has bigger ears than that short-haired black boy student").

I suspect that if I grew up in a population where everyone shared hair color, and where hair styles didn't vary so much, I would've zeroed in on different characteristics most likely.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
Again, the issue for me is changing the look of an iconic (for 30 years, anyway) Disney character. I would be making the same point if the live-action version was going to change Ariel's fish tail / scales from pale green to pink or purple, or changing her hair from red to yellow.

I'm approaching this from a character / brand perspective, not racial. Disney has spent millions upon millions of dollars for three decades promoting the Ariel character / brand based on a rigidly defined set of physical characteristics. Changing those characteristics now for no good reason (or at least no reason of which I'm aware) seems counterproductive to me.
You realize we have no idea what the final look of the character is going to be, right? Maybe Disney creates a brand new look for Ariel so that skin color is the least of the changes. Or maybe Disney's design makes it really clear that the only difference is skin color, but the rest of the character is clearly the same Ariel.

And if you can't figure out with the marketing upside is for changing the race of a beloved character, you're not thinking very hard.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Relevant to the conversation
Old 07-12-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
Actually, it was Sherri Stoner who served as the live-action model for the character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XA5aJDLuw0
Alyssa Milano was indeed an inspiration for Keane' character design, particularly the face. Stoner was the live action reference model. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
The first one isn't just you. I spend a lot of my viewing time trying to find specific phrases to distinguish between Will and Mike, so I can tell apart the two skinny white boys with kind of long dark brown hair.

But camera boy has bad hair and used-to-be-a-jerk guy has good hair. I have a lot harder time telling apart the older teenage white boys with good hair.

I'm definitely below average in telling people apart by faces. The things I tend to look at are skin color, hair color, and hair style. If two people are similar in all three categories, it's a helluva thing to tell them apart, and I have to come up with specific phrases ("this brown-haired white boy student has a slightly longer nose than that brown-haired white boy student; this short-haired black boy student has bigger ears than that short-haired black boy student").

I suspect that if I grew up in a population where everyone shared hair color, and where hair styles didn't vary so much, I would've zeroed in on different characteristics most likely.
My worse case of mixing up white guys was the 1998 film The Thin Red Line, when only at the very end of the movie did I realize that Jim Caviezel and Adrian Brody were two completely different actors playing two completely different characters. Of course, the uniforms and crew cuts didn't help.