Old 07-09-2019, 07:41 PM

It could be a Mark Steffanhagen

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7wJp/fedex-office-arnold-palmer
Old 07-09-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
No, I remember very clearly, you named it "Suicide".
Whoosh!

(I still do that sometimes)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 07-09-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
My employer used to send us to conferences and we'd have a drink in the hotel lounge.
Did you have an onion tied to your belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I made this drink once where I put chocolate syrup into a glass of cold milk, and it made the milk taste like chocolate. What should I call it?
Why, you'd call it 'milk chocolate' of course!
Old 07-10-2019, 06:03 AM

Chocolate soy milk, kaluha, Tia Maria coffee liqueur, vodka, ice. Mmmmmmm.

In parts of the Caribbean sparkling water is the default with dinner. To request plain water you order your water "flat".
Old 07-10-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I assume people at home have mixed up all sorts of juices,teas, and sodas.

One of my favorites is Sprite & OJ. It's my family's version of Orange Crush with real juice.
I think there is a variant that is already popular. I stopped by my local McD’s a few days ago to grab a big $1 cup of water with ice. I was going to stop by the deli and buy a bottle of water and a cup of ice, then I remembered McD had the big $1 drinks and they have water as a selection in the soda tap.

Their soda taps are not extensive, maybe 8 flavors total. And only one of those flavors was non-standard. That flavor was a Sprite/Orange Fanta mix. So it must be popular.

Quote:
Oh, yes.....suicides. We made those all the time when I was a kid.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

"Your" invention was one of my faves as a kid.
Ah, children. Won't eat mac'n'cheese at a restaurant with their parents, because it looks slightly different than Kraft at home, but when given the slightest bit of freedom with their peer group, will happily drink the most disgusting combinations (see also, condiment mixing in the cafeteria)
Old 07-10-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
In parts of the Caribbean sparkling water is the default with dinner. To request plain water you order your water "flat".
Forgot to mention "still". To order uncarbonated drinking water "flat" and "still" are adjectives you can use.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Did you have an onion tied to your belt?
It was the style at the time.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I made this drink once where I put chocolate syrup into a glass of cold milk, and it made the milk taste like chocolate. What should I call it?
The Aristocrats?

I honestly thought this was a joke topic so I kept skipping it. My loss.

I once mixed rum with a can of Coke. I called it "Rum and carbonated water with soda syrup added in"
Old 07-10-2019, 09:23 AM

All jokes aside, I invented a drink with candy floating in it. Beer with Skittles is what I call it.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
The Aristocrats?

I honestly thought this was a joke topic so I kept skipping it. My loss.

I once mixed rum with a can of Coke. I called it "Rum and carbonated water with soda syrup added in"
I think "Rum and sparkling water with soda syrup added in" is a catchier name, but the "sparkling" term might throw some folks off.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
I'm baffled. What did you think it meant? I guess I could see someone thinking it meant there were suspended sparkly flakes like Goldschlager, but surely you've tasted something labeled sparkling at some point in your life, and sensed the similarity to carbonated beverages?
Well slap my ass and call me a hick, too, but I didn't know. I never drank anything labeled "sparkling" in my life. Why would I, when Coca Cola is available (and when I was younger, that Speedy milk and chocolate syrup concoction mentioned above. yum!)? "Sparkling" sounds like something with glitter in it, or a type of YA vampire. Sounds foo-foo. Something yuppies would drink.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Well slap my ass and call me a hick, too, but I didn't know. I never drank anything labeled "sparkling" in my life. Why would I, when Coca Cola is available (and when I was younger, that Speedy milk and chocolate syrup concoction mentioned above. yum!)? "Sparkling" sounds like something with glitter in it, or a type of YA vampire. Sounds foo-foo. Something yuppies would drink.
Do you walk through stores with blinders on? Sparkling water is everywhere these days (well, it's been around forever but it's way more popular now). Old brands like San Pellegrino and Perrier and "new" brands like La Croix and Bubly. I can't make it through the local supermarket without seeing huge end displays of these. And then there are the sparkling ciders that seem to come out for non-alcoholic events or for kids when adults will have champagne. Martinelli is the main brand I see around here.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:07 AM

The term "sparkling" is very common but I've only ever heard it applied to water and to wine. In the case of wine, at least all but the cheapest swill, the carbonation is the result of natural fermentation so it's different than other artificially carbonated beverages, though I think it's still mostly CO2.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Do you walk through stores with blinders on? Sparkling water is everywhere these days (well, it's been around forever but it's way more popular now). Old brands like San Pellegrino and Perrier and "new" brands like La Croix and Bubly. I can't make it through the local supermarket without seeing huge end displays of these. And then there are the sparkling ciders that seem to come out for non-alcoholic events or for kids when adults will have champagne. Martinelli is the main brand I see around here.
What's so hard to fathom? There are TONS of things in stores I never look at, from cookies to cat food to feminine hygiene products. I couldn't tell you a thing about the products in those aisles. It's a waste of brain power to even contemplate them.

And bottled water is just another something I ignore. I have an RO machine, I have no need to buy bottled water.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
What's so hard to fathom? There are TONS of things in stores I never look at, from cookies to cat food to feminine hygiene products. I couldn't tell you a thing about the products in those aisles. It's a waste of brain power to even contemplate them.

And bottled water is just another something I ignore. I have an RO machine, I have no need to buy bottled water.
Oooo, I want a Recreational Outrage machine too!
Old 07-10-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
It's only for non-yuppies. Looking at your username, it's doubtful you could buy one.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I tried this, but used sparkling water instead. I will call it Sparkoke Waterum.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:25 AM

The Canada Dry people have a new product that I just had to try; Ginger Ale/Lemonade.

Why Canada Dry? The lemonade is made no better by adding ginger ale and the ginger ale is made no better by adding lemonade.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Put about two fingers of cold milk in a glass. Add a good long squeeze of chocolate syrup (preferably U-Bet). Top it off with club soda/seltzer. That's an egg cream, which contains neither egg nor cream.

I love to make them at home. It tastes the way a chocolate ice cream soda tastes after you've eaten out the ice cream, and all that's left is fizzy, chocolate-y, creamy wonderfulness.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
They're a pain. They need constant recalibration. And you have to keep the software up to date, or your water starts to smell like teenage wankers in MAGA hats.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
I tried this, but used sparkling water instead. I will call it Sparkoke Waterum.
Rowling made a grievous error by not including this spell in Harry Potter.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
And then there are the sparkling ciders that seem to come out for non-alcoholic events or for kids when adults will have champagne. Martinelli is the main brand I see around here.
And the Welch's grape juice has been around forever.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 PM

I drink well water. Comes out of the tap very cold. If it sparkled I'd be concerned.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:13 PM

I've experimented with adding lemonade to beer. Now that's one I'm sure you've never heard of it.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I've experimented with adding lemonade to beer. Now that's one I'm sure you've never heard of it.
Beg your pardon?

https://www.brewbound.com/news/anheu...-lemonade-beer

Shandy deluxe there!

Last edited by wguy123; 07-10-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Beg your pardon?

https://www.brewbound.com/news/anheu...-lemonade-beer

Shandy deluxe there!
You've been whooshed but good.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:

But do you know what cat litter is, even if you don't have a cat, or do you think it's what happens when a cat throws garbage out the car window? Maybe there's an age factor, but some people (including me) are surprised that a person could have existed in US culture long enough to be an adult and not have encountered countless references to sparkling as an adjective modifying a beverage to indicate carbonation.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
You've been whooshed but good.
Yeah, I realized that about a millisecond after hitting submit. But I still had to post that pink abomination. Where is the puke emoji?
Old 07-10-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
It's not in that picture, but that's not a requirement of an Arnold Palmer (I've never had one served like that one--it's always been mixed).
I was genuinely surprised at that photo. I was served the non-mixed version once in a restaurant, but I attributed this to neglect or laziness on the part of the server. I immediately grabbed a spoon and mixed it.

The licensed version of the Arnold Palmer sold in grocery stores (with his picture on the container) is, obviously, mixed. That suggests to me that it's the correct way to serve it. What would be the point of drinking in in layers?
Old 07-10-2019, 03:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Canada Dry people have a new product that I just had to try; Ginger Ale/Lemonade.

Why Canada Dry? The lemonade is made no better by adding ginger ale and the ginger ale is made no better by adding lemonade.
I have never been more underwhelmed with a new soda than this one- you could serve it to me in a glass and tell me it was all lemonade or all ginger ale and I would just nod and drink it. There is absolutely no reason for this to exist- they don't go together, and as you said one is not improved by adding the other- its not like people have been secretly mixing these together like with the AP.

But the new only-at-KFC Peach and Honey flavored Sweet Lightning Mountain Dew- awesome!!

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-10-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
What would be the point of drinking in in layers?
Well, when drinking a black&tan, in which a light color beer is layered on top of a very dark beer, there is a pleasant, gradual mixing of the beers as it is quaffed. Has to do with fluid flow hydrodynamics and god loving his children.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
But the new only-at-KFC Peach and Honey flavored Sweet Lightning Mountain Dew- awesome!!
The stoner community is all abuzz over this new drink sensation.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The stoner community is all abuzz over this new drink sensation.
didn't know that, but that's me! I pray they start selling it in stores, but after years they still don't sell the Taco Bell MD Baja Blast anywhere else, so I'm not too hopeful.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-10-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I see there's a canned product on the market now that's seltzer water and alcohol. My AA buddies and I have begun referring to it as Alky Seltzer.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 07-10-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I see there's a canned product on the market now that's seltzer water and alcohol.
There's actually a number of them. White Claw. Harry's. Smirnoff. High Noon. And probably others.

I even discovered last week that they have alcoholic still waters, too!, when I accidentally bought one in a make-your-own-6-pack deal: Pura alcoholic still water.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-10-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Seriously, everyone knows about it.
Honest to God I didn't know what an Arnold Palmer was until about five years ago. Was a bit embarrassed to mistake it for some mixed drink like a Harvey Wallbanger or something.

So, hey you never know - this thread might have reached one lonely soul out in the wilds of Saskatchewan or something. Though considering even Starbucks is pushing iced tea-lemonades hard these days, probably only that one .
Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 PM

You can even get iced tea/lemonade k-cups.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:26 AM

While I've been ninja'd by Guinastasia, I'd like to put in the "beer + lemonade" idea too. I first had this in Germany, where they sold it in large bottles and called it a "Radler" which I take to mean "Biker."

I think ideally you mix one part hefeweizen beer to lemonade. Hefeweizen is a German beer that is cloudy, yeasty and already tastes a bit like lemonade, being mild and tangy. So it's really no stretch to mix the two together.

They also sell (watch out for possible mis-spelling here) "Schoferhofer" which mixes red grapefruit juice and some kind of bland, mild beer, probably hefe again. There is probably also some red dye in it. Anyway, I've seen Schoferhofer in many places, I think even the local Walgreens has it. Look in the beer aisle. It tastes like sweet fruit juice, and has a bit of alcohol (maybe 2-3%).

Last edited by Limmin; 07-11-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Milchocorup, of course!
Old 07-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I already trademarked it as "Beermonade".

Last edited by TimfromNapa; 07-11-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

It should be noted though, that "lemonade" in Britain, whence the shandy hails, it a sparkling beverage, closer to 7-Up than American lemonade. (And same with the German radler: sparkling lemonade is used.) I suppose with the beer already being fizzy, it doesn't matter all too much.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:03 PM

My sister once offered my grandfather a beer, she had 3 or 4 different ones in her fridge. She pointed to Lienie's shandy and bragged "This one tastes like lemonade!" Grandpa said "Oh, like a shandy? Well that's for kids."

Last edited by bobot; 07-11-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
All jokes aside, I invented a drink with candy floating in it. Beer with Skittles is what I call it.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post

May daughter once mixed soy sauce and milk, because she was convinced that's how chocolate milk is made. Protip: it is not.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
No.
Yes
Old 07-11-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Oh, dear.

I'm not looking forward to the waitress' response when I say, "Can you give me some Czarcasm?"

---------

Canada Dry has been selling Ginger Ale + Lemonade and Ginger Ale + Raspberry Juice in Japan since the 1990's (at least, since I encountered it in 1995 and nobody there thought it was unusual in any way). In fact it seemed quite popular. Only relatively recently do they seem to have brought that flavor to the USA.

IOW it's nothing new, just "new" to US.

---------

--G!

BJ: You're putting beer on your cornflakes?
Hawkeye: Yeah, but only because they aren't giving us Wheaties. I call it the Breakfast of Ex-Champions.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:21 AM

Homer:
Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau?

Apu:
Such a beer does not exist, sir. I think you must have dreamed it.

Homer:
Oh. Well, then just give me a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles
Old 07-12-2019, 11:20 AM

J.D.: I've taken your best qualities and my best qualities and I've combined them into something even better. Much the way that iced tea and lemonade were joined to become an "Arnold Palmer." Incidentally, has anyone ever done less to become famous? I mean, "Yay for me - I mixed two drinks together!"

Dr. Cox: Arnold Palmer is a golfer.

J.D.: I'm sure he has lots of hobbies, Perry. The man's a drink mogul.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken View Post
Homer:
Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau?

Apu:
Such a beer does not exist, sir. I think you must have dreamed it.

Homer:
Oh. Well, then just give me a six-pack and a couple of bags of Skittles
Spring is here
Ah, Spring is here
Life is Skittles and Life is Beer

Tom Lehrer, Poisoning Pigeons in the Park
Old 07-12-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
No.

May daughter once mixed soy sauce and milk, because she was convinced that's how chocolate milk is made. Protip: it is not.
No, that's how soy milk is made.