Old 07-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Share your favorite hilarious rock'n'roll anecdote

I've been listening to records, going to concerts and reading about music almost my whole conscientious life and heard of or witnessed a lot real Spinal Tap moments. I saw a hair band's lead guitarist's hair catching fire while accompanying his singer shouting "Fire" by spitting fuel onto a torch, saw Bob Forrester of Thelonious Monster climbing a 20 meter PA tower while completely drugged out of his mind at the 1993 Pink Pop festival and similar things. But the favorite episode I've heard of was when Keith Moon once more had a mix of horse tranquilizers and brandy (his usual diet) before the concert at the Cow Palace in 1973, but this time really passed out for good, in spite of every effort by the road crew to revive him (with more drugs and a shower). Pete Townshend asked the audience if a drummer was present, and Scott Halpin, a 19 year old guy who hadn't touched the drums in a year, took Moon's sticks and completed the show to everybody's satisfaction. And yeah, he got a tour jacket for his efforts which got stolen the same night. I love the story.

What's yours? Can be something famous, or your own experience as a spectator or performer. Of course I mean "rock'n'roll" loosely, can be about any music or concert.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

There was a Grammy show where cutting to a satellite hookup of a live show was THE latest in cool technology. Much touted in the lead up to the show. Diana Ross was a presenter, and high af, too! She intros the cut to, Stevie Wonder performing live, his nominated song. But that new tech was glitching, no audio, no image. So here’s Diana, on national tv repeating, “Stevie! Can you see me?”

Sudden cut to commercial, and when they return to the show, they’ve fixed the glitch, but first....a much sobered looking Diana Ross, clearly embarassed and endlessly apologizing to Stevie and the world!

It was pretty hilarious to watch unfold, I don’t even remember if he won or not!
Old 07-09-2019, 04:55 PM

Well, I saw Pete Townshend whack Abbie Hoffman in the head, with his guitar, at Woodstock. Best work Townshend has ever done, in my opinion.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
There was a Grammy show where cutting to a satellite hookup of a live show was THE latest in cool technology. Much touted in the lead up to the show. Diana Ross was a presenter, and high af, too! She intros the cut to, Stevie Wonder performing live, his nominated song. But that new tech was glitching, no audio, no image. So here’s Diana, on national tv repeating, “Stevie! Can you see me?”

Sudden cut to commercial, and when they return to the show, they’ve fixed the glitch, but first....a much sobered looking Diana Ross, clearly embarassed and endlessly apologizing to Stevie and the world!

It was pretty hilarious to watch unfold, I don’t even remember if he won or not!
Ouch !

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 07-09-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:35 PM

One night Keith Richards took Jagger out for some carousing--and by the time they stumbled back to their hotel at five in the morning, the singer was absolutely plastered. He called up to Watts, fast asleep in his own room, and started shouting into the phone. "Izzat my drummer, then? Where's my fucking drummer?"

What happened next is one of the most remarkable moments in Stones history. The mild-mannered Watts, always the quiet one in the group, crawled out of bed. He shaved, put on a crisp white shirt and impeccably tailored suit, knotted his tie and slipped on some shoes. Then he calmly walked downstairs, opened the door, grabbed Jagger--and cold-cocked him right in the kisser. "Don't ever call me your drummer again," Watts sneered. "You're my fucking singer."
Old 07-09-2019, 05:45 PM

I know the person in this story, so I'm gonna call him Chuck.

Chuck was a sound guy. Back in the '70s he worked at Bearsville; I'm sure some of you know what that is. Anyway, he told me about a time back in about 1976 or 1977 when he was in NYC for a show. He was doing monitors for one of the acts, so he was backstage right or left, just offstage. At some point, he sees a crazed-looking skinny lady in a plain white t-shirt run onto the stage from the other side, grab a mic and start wailing into it. Nobody else makes a move, so Chuck leaps into action! He rushes out on stage, grabs her by the waist and bodily hauls her off stage, yelling for Security. They rush over, he lets go of her, pushing the lady towards the security guys. They ignore her, grab him and start hustling him off-stage! He's incredulous, starts hollering, making a ruckus, etc. They got him all the way to the door before the band's manager gets over there (the act is now performing without a monitor engineer). Eventually it got sorted out, and now Chuck recognizes Patti Smith every time he sees her.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-09-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I know the person in this story, so I'm gonna call him Chuck.

Chuck was a sound guy. Back in the '70s he worked at Bearsville; I'm sure some of you know what that is. Anyway, he told me about a time back in about 1976 or 1977 when he was in NYC for a show. He was doing monitors for one of the acts, so he was backstage right or left, just offstage. At some point, he sees a crazed-looking skinny lady in a plain white t-shirt run onto the stage from the other side, grab a mic and start wailing into it. Nobody else makes a move, so Chuck leaps into action! He rushes out on stage, grabs her by the waist and bodily hauls her off stage, yelling for Security. They rush over, he lets go of her, pushing the lady towards the security guys. They ignore her, grab him and start hustling him off-stage! He's incredulous, starts hollering, making a ruckus, etc. They got him all the way to the door before the band's manager gets over there (the act is now performing without a monitor engineer). Eventually it got sorted out, and now Chuck recognizes Patti Smith every time he sees her.
That's a great story! Do you remember what the main act was she joined on stage? Or was it the Patti Smith Group ?
Old 07-09-2019, 05:56 PM

Prolly Todd. Chuck worked for him for 6 or 8 years IIRC.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Prolly Todd. Chuck worked for him for 6 or 8 years IIRC.
You mean Rundgren? I didn't know she had connections to him.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:26 PM

Al Stewart, mid seventies. Some college friends and I went to see him at a club in Chicago. After the show he invited a woman in our party back to his hotel. Flustered, she replied “I’m not a groupie!” He said, “I’m not a group.” She said she had midterms, so couldn’t.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:18 PM

I always liked the story of Jerry Lee Lewis lighting his piano on fire to show up Chuck Berry back in the day. Don't know if its really true or not, sadly. How do you follow a burning piano?

https://www.liveabout.com/jerry-lee-...-stage-2523388
Old 07-09-2019, 07:21 PM

It's been a long time since I've read the book, so cut me some slack here. In Rock Scully's "Living With The Dead" a story is recounted that cracks me right the fuck up. Some of the fellas in the band, can't remember exactly who, are driving along in a car, in the mountains, with a suckable nitrous tank in the backseat. There was a crash, and IIRC the car ended up upside down. The cops showed up, but not before the nitrous tank let go, frosting the entire inside surface of all the windows. The cop wanted to know what happened, and was told that "we must have hit a patch of ice."
Old 07-09-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
You mean Rundgren? I didn't know she had connections to him.
All over the place! One of her poems was included on an insert in his album A Wizard/A True Star, and he produced her album Wave. They are old friends. She was a big booster of his music early on when she was a rock critic.

Last edited by gaffa; 07-09-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quttaus View Post
I always liked the story of Jerry Lee Lewis lighting his piano on fire to show up Chuck Berry back in the day. Don't know if its really true or not, sadly. How do you follow a burning piano?

https://www.liveabout.com/jerry-lee-...-stage-2523388
Supposedly the Stones insisted on being the final act on the TAMI Show. This annoyed James Brown who proceeded to go out there and give the performance of his life, pulling out all the stops. He came off stage and said to Mick Jagger "Follow THAT, Motherfucker!"

https://youtu.be/WMqM4lZGiK0
Old 07-09-2019, 09:35 PM

I read the story about "Chuck," so here's mine about Chuck Berry:

Chuck Berry normally toured by himself and used (cheap or free) local musicians to back him up in the 70s. One of my friends played in a local band in Boston and they were drafted to be Berry's band for a local performance. (Think "My Ding-A-Ling.") When Berry showed up just a short time before the show, they naturally asked him, "What songs are we going to play?"

Berry's answer: "Chuck Berry songs."
Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Nikki Sixx and Tommy Lee from Motley Crue had a bet going on how long they each could go without showering before groupies refused to have sex with them.

Apparently after going for weeks w/o showering, one groupie was performing oral sex on Nikki Sixx and vomited all over his stomach. She had spaghetti for dinner, so it was called 'the spaghetti incident'
Old 07-09-2019, 09:44 PM

A group of friends of mine went to see Steve Marriott in a small club in IL back in the early 80's. These guys were real rock fans and loved his Humble Pie work. They told me that before the show, Marriott was walking around and my buddies invited him over to their table. He came over and apparently was very nice and partook of the pitcher of beer in the middle of the table. What they didn't tell Steve was they had dumped a couple of Quaaludes into the pitcher. After a few drinks he meandered backstage to prepare for the show. Half hour later, Marriott is introduced and proceeds to be play the opening number. My buddies told me he was struggling hard to maintain playing, singing, performing, walking...you name it. After the first song he collapsed and was taken off the stage and after a few minutes it was announced that Mr. Marriott was feeling poorly and the show was cancelled! That always cracked me up that my friends paid good money to see one of their heroes live in a club only to sabotage their own show! I guess they were more battle hardened than Steve Marriott.

PS. They did say that they saw him either the next night or a few nights later at another show. He recognized them but did accept their invitation a second time. And put on a great show.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare4roach View Post
A group of friends of mine went to see Steve Marriott in a small club in IL back in the early 80's. These guys were real rock fans and loved his Humble Pie work. They told me that before the show, Marriott was walking around and my buddies invited him over to their table. He came over and apparently was very nice and partook of the pitcher of beer in the middle of the table. What they didn't tell Steve was they had dumped a couple of Quaaludes into the pitcher. After a few drinks he meandered backstage to prepare for the show. Half hour later, Marriott is introduced and proceeds to be play the opening number. My buddies told me he was struggling hard to maintain playing, singing, performing, walking...you name it. After the first song he collapsed and was taken off the stage and after a few minutes it was announced that Mr. Marriott was feeling poorly and the show was cancelled! That always cracked me up that my friends paid good money to see one of their heroes live in a club only to sabotage their own show! I guess they were more battle hardened than Steve Marriott.

PS. They did say that they saw him either the next night or a few nights later at another show. He recognized them but did accept their invitation a second time. And put on a great show.
Your friends dosed someone with a Karen Ann Quinlan cocktail? Marriott is lucky he's still alive, and they're lucky they're not in prison. Maybe they should be.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:12 PM

Steve Marriott died in 1991...
Old 07-11-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal_cleaner View Post
Al Stewart, mid seventies. Some college friends and I went to see him at a club in Chicago. After the show he invited a woman in our party back to his hotel. Flustered, she replied “I’m not a groupie!” He said, “I’m not a group.” She said she had midterms, so couldn’t.
I wouldn't sleep with a guy in his mid seventies either!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Well, I saw Pete Townshend whack Abbie Hoffman in the head, with his guitar, at Woodstock. Best work Townshend has ever done, in my opinion.
Really? I'd thought that was made up by Abbie.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:19 PM

The only one that comes to mind at the moment is watching a “live” performance on TV by Stevie Nicks. It was after FM’s heyday and I think it was sort of a comeback tour for her. She was doing a bit during a song in which she was going to release a live white dove. With a grand gesture she releases the dove but it doesn’t fly away. It remains firmly attached to her hand. She shakes her hand a little and...no dice, bird ain’t going anywhere. She might have had a little fun with the situation but no, she looked blitzed out of her mind and totally perplexed. This was along time ago and I don’t recall what happened after that but I remember being highly amused.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:33 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I remember reading an interview with Paul Stanley of KISS in Hit Parader or some similar 80s head-banger magazine* where the topic came up of the band's preference for (IIRC) Marshall amps and criticism of same for a lack of high-frequency response. Paul's reply was, as I recall, "We're not writin' jingles here, you know."

Not quite rock & roll, but I saw B.B. King perform here in Charlotte 15 or so years ago, and after about 2 verses of his first song, someone brought him out a chair, and he finished the song sitting down. When he was done, he did the "glad to be here, thanks for coming out" bit, then said, "Now I know what y'all are all thinking. 'B.B. done got too old and fat to stand up while he sings.'" And after a beat, he said, "And you right." Everybody in the place laughed.

* I was 13, gimme a break.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 07-11-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:04 PM

This one’s pretty well known: the Beatles might never have happened (an exaggeration, but who knows?), if producer George Martin didn’t have a particular sense of humor. Just after the lads auditioned for EMI, Martin give them sone helpful critiques, then generously asked them if there were something they didn’t like (about their performance).

“I don’t like your tie,” said a very young George Harrison.

Silence. The future of the world hung in the balance.

Then Martin laughed. It was all good fun from then on.

(To be fair, Harrison might have been aware that Martin produced offbeat comedy albums...but still, an amusing little story).
Old 07-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Rochester once had the Dome Arena. It was round. It was underused. Some genius had the idea of holding rock concerts there.

Anyone, with two seconds thought, could have figured out what happens to sound in a round arena. I did. I wandered around until I found a spot in back where the bouncing sound waves cohered into something similar to music. While I was back there, Steve Stills stopped his band and shouted, "This place has the worst fucking acoustics of any place I've ever played."

The crowd cheered.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

I worked security for a lot of concerts when I was in college in the 70's. One that stood out was a gig by 38 Special. I was back stage before the concert, and as the band was preparing to take the stage, front man Donnie Van Zant realized his guitar was locked in a storage room, and the person with the key was nowhere to be found. I grabbed a butter knife from the buffet table, and was able to jimmy the lock and open the door. The band was happy and the show went on.

OK, maybe not hilarious, but I did get to be the hero.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

My favorite anecdote is that 40 years after I reviewed a concert by Todd Rundgren and Utopia, (I got backstage, but never got a chance to actually interview him) Todd Rundgren was a guest lecturer in my future daughter-in-law's class.

Last edited by Kent Clark; 07-11-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:56 PM

Way back in the early 1990s I lived in Tallahassee, Florida. I worked gigs at the Civic Center regularly; we had rock concerts, LOTS of country shows and we were a regular stop for off-Broadway tours.

One day I show up for load-in and ask who the act is; I'm told it's that new "hat" guy Garth Brooks. Oh, okay, I say. I had heard of him and even prolly played some his stuff when I worked at the country radio station, but I'm not a country music fan so my knowledge was very limited.

A typical load-in back then would be 40-60 people working from 8am until prolly 4pm or so, then we'd drop down to show crew until the load-out. That was a lot of people to get together midweek in Tallahassee back then, so there was a larger pool of people than just 60 to be sure the calls would be filled. That meant that you worked with different people all the time, even tho the core group was mostly the same.

Well, on this gig there were a bunch of new people. I do lighting, so I go off with the lighting folks. We start lining up the truss (it was all pre-loaded truss with PAR cans back then, pretty much), running the cables, etc. One of the new guys has come with us to do lighting. He's maybe late 20s, early 30s, kinda husky. He's got on a pair of sweatpants, a fanny pack (it was thing back then; don't judge), a t-shirt and a baseball hat. I introduce myself: "Hey man, I'm Bo." "Hey; Garth. Nice to meet you."

Now, this is Tallahassee. I have friends named Garth. And Bubba. And Winston. So it's just "right on; nice to meet you" and work continues. This guy is right there with us, and he seems to know what he's doing: cool.

At lunch, I notice that he sits with the touring guys, which was unusual. Locals don't really do that, at least not often. And I hadn't really seen him buddying up with the Lighting Director or anyone all morning; he was right alongside me working. /shrug. Whatever.

After lunch, the rig is flashed and flown. The upstage truss flies first and one of us gets ready to climb the rope ladder to focus. Usually I did that, but for some reason today it was someone else's gig, so I was off stage left just watching things happen. As the downstage truss goes up, the lighting director is on stage calling the upstage truss focus. He finishes just as the downstage truss reaches trim and walks over to us and says "alright Garth; I'm ready for you" and this new guy walks over to the cable pick (where the lighting cables come from the truss to the ground where the dimmer racks are) and climbs hand-over-hand up the cable pick, 40 feet, and focuses all the lights.

As he's climbing I turn to the LD and I ask "waitaminnit… is that Garth Brooks?" The LD chuckles and says "yep."

"What the fuck? Why is he focusing his own lights? And building the rig? I worked all day with him!"
The LD moves to start calling focus and tells me "he does this every show; he likes doing it."
"Every show? Seriously?"
"Yeah; he likes doing it. He thinks it's fun."
"Well, it is, sure, but what the fuck? How long has he been doing this?"
"As long as we've been doing these big shows; before this we only played little clubs."

They had met at a Holiday Inn in Tulsa, IIRC, in the early '80s and had hit it off and been working together ever since.

The next time I saw them the LD remembered me but Garth didn't work with us. I asked him why and he said his insurance company had gotten wind of what he was doing and had shut it down. But I'll always remember the feeling I had when I realized I had just spent the day working with the main attraction. I don't care much one way or the other about his music, except that I'm glad other people like it a lot. And I wouldn't care that much except for the fact that I know first hand that Garth Brooks totally fucking rocks. Absolutely one of the coolest "major stars" I've ever interacted with, and my career is approaching it's 40th year.

ETA: Okay, not exactly "hilarious" but hey, waddaya want for free?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-11-2019 at 06:00 PM. Reason: were
Old 07-11-2019, 05:59 PM

Not hilarious, but it amuses me.

The Stones were recording Exile. The time of day they began rehearsing was, initially, early evening. But the boys kept sleeping in longer and longer and the start time gradually became later and later because, you know, they're rock n rollers.

So, midnight...later in the week, 2am...etc.

It finally dawned on them that they were starting their workday at 8:00am.

In other words, working regular hours.

mmm
Old 07-11-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedin View Post
Steve Marriott died in 1991...
I didn't know. In fact, I didn't know (still don't know) who he is/was.

I'll revise my post to say "he's lucky he survived the night," rather than "he's lucky he's still alive."

My point still stands.

Dosing someone with a combination of 'ludes and alcohol?

Yeah, that's hilarious.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
Really? I'd thought that was made up by Abbie.
There is beaucoup substantiation on the interwebs. Granted, in those days, I "saw" a lot of things that maybe I didn't really see... but I did see that one!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

That's a great story about Garth Brooks.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

One of my favorites was an early interview with Them Crooked Vultures (JPJ, Dave Grohl and Josh Homme)
The interviewer asked them if there's been a lot of 'sex, drugs and rock and roll', but Josh heard 'six' instead of 'sex' and said 'six drugs? there's been more than that'.

The mention of Garth reminds me of another one. I *think* it was Garth, but it doesn't really matter. So he's playing a concert. He's near the edge of the stage, where the floor is a grate type thing instead of wood. He looks down at sees a woman just screaming. He's feeding off her energy and how much she's enjoying it. After a few seconds he realizes she's not screaming because she likes him so much, he standing on one of her boobs and pushing it into the grate. She was screaming in pain.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:23 AM

Another not really hilarious story...

In the mid 90s I was delivering pizza for a living. One night, towards closing, I got an 8-pie delivery to the event center where Soundgarden was headlining that night. I was aware that there was a band named Soundgarden, but I wasn't into them.

I arrived at the event center and followed some guy backstage to whatever room they wanted the pizza. Carrying three pizza bags, I basically couldn't see in front of me, so I was just blindly following the guy. We went around a corner, and suddenly someone else grabbed my arm. I looked over, and it was a rather large security person. So then I peeked around the front of my load. Some guy had been in the middle of signing the back of a young woman's shirt, right in front of me, and both of them were staring at me with a "WTF?!" look. Apparently, I came quite close to running them down.

So I finished the delivery and left, thinking that guy I almost ran over must have been in one of the bands that played that night. When I got back to the restaurant, I told the story to a coworker, who asked me to describe the person I almost mowed down. "Sounds like Chris Cornell," he said. Later he brought in an album or magazine or something with the band's picture to show me, and I was able to confirm it was him.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:05 AM

I saw Deep Purple at Merriweather Post Pavilion on their Perfect Strangers tour. During the climax of the show, they played Smoke on the Water. You would think that such an easy song, played by pros, would be impossible to mess up but no.

At one point, a giant oversized beach ball, knocked around by the crowd, came flying on stage and nailed the bass player such that he almost fell over and he flubbed the main riff. Granted, it was only one time out of 800 or so repetitions. I doubt many of the headbanging crowd even noticed.

I remember thinking "did that really just happen?"

Last edited by by-tor; 07-12-2019 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:08 AM

Story told before.

The lyrics of Amaral's Mis Amigos include this bit:
Carlos me contó
Que a su hermana, Isabel
La echaron del trabajo sin saber por qué
No le dieron ni las gracias porque estaba sin contrato
Aquella misma tarde fuimos a celebrarlo
Ya no tendrás que soportar
Al imbécil de tu jefe ni un minuto más

Carlos told me
that his sister Isabel
was fired who knows why
they didn't even say thank you, after all she had no contract (=she worked under the table)
that same afternoon we went out to celebrate
you will not have to put up
with that asshole boss a single minute more

My brother's boss (majority shareholder in a family-owned business) took extended medical leave. She was replaced by another cousin: like every single one of the other cousins, this guy viewed any administrative work as "a fucking waste", apparently believing that people pay you and get paid miraculously (the Holy Ghost is actually the Holy Accountant, or maybe the Holy Treasurer). In his fourth day at this job he told my brother "if you weren't the worker's rep I'd fire you", to which bro replied "if that's the only reason you have for not firing me, I can send the official letter leaving that position today and you can fire me tomorrow." "OK. Do it." So bro did and Idiot Cousin did. This being Spain and Bro actually having a contract the firing wasn't inmediate: 30 days' notice.

So: Monday, new boss. Thursday, letter. Friday, fired. Saturday, concert by Amaral which got underway after some geographical confusion (the public laughed but was OK with it, we're used to people not knowing where we are). When they sang Mis Amigos, over 1/3 of the arena turned to point at my brother and cheer for him; he stood up, saluted, bowed, did victory signs... the lights guy was quick enough on the take to point a couple of beams in his direction. We knew bro was well-known in the area but that was an interesting moment

Last edited by Nava; 07-12-2019 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:27 AM

A story told by David Lee Roth, which I saw on one of those "Behind the Music"-type shows …

Roth was partying hard one night, and woke up the next morning in his bed, covered in scratches and bits of branches and leaves. He called one of the roadies (I think) and said "I feel terrible. What did I do last night?"

The roadie says, "Don't you remember? You got wasted and bet everyone you could fly. You jumped out the hotel window." (Fortunately, they were on the first or second floor.)

Roth says, "What?! Why didn't you stop me?"

The roadie says, "Stop you? Hell, I bet everyone $100 you could do it!"
Old 07-12-2019, 07:52 AM

Back when I worked for LiveNation in the late 00s The Eagles came through town, in 2008 I think. Before the show I went out onto 6th Street outside Verizon Center and saw Timothy Schmidt leaning up against the wall outside of a restaurant. He was just standing there, watching people walk by. I might be speculating here but he seemed to be waiting for someone to run up and go, "Hey! You're that guy!" but nobody did. He stood out there for almost an hour, and absolutely nobody recognized him. I sort of felt sorry for him.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Well of course nobody is gonna pay attention to Timothy Schmidt; they're all looking for Timothy B. Schmidt.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I know someone who claims to have been in a bar when an unknown singer told a very well known singer/songwriter that he had just written a recorded a song that would be perfect for him. The well known guy said "Buy me a beer and I'll listen to it." The unknown guy did so.

It's an old adage that you know it's a good song if the first time you hear it you're singing b y the last chorus. Well, the whole bar joined in on the last chorus. The songwriter turns to the singer and asks all excited "What you think?" Mr. Famous says "Buy me another beer and I'll record it."

The unknown singer was Steve Goodman, the famous guy was Arlo Guthrie, and the song was City of New Orleans.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:58 AM

I used to know a bartender who told stories about going backstage and onto the tour bus with David Allan Coe. She was pretty wild, but I always thought her stories were exaggerated. Then one night he was performing somewhere local and he called her, asking if she wanted to get together.

She asked me and another friend to come along. We went to Kings, a 24 hour place, and ordered pie and coffee. About 15 minutes later , in walks David Allan Coe. We sat and chatted for an hour or so.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Back during summers in college a friend of mine worked as a bouncer at The Bayou in Washington DC. Occasionally he'd ask me to join him if they needed more guys or if he thought I'd like the band. Big fun.

On night in 88, I think, I was in the bar before doors opened just milling around waiting for my assignment - door, crowd, upstairs, whatever - and I got tapped on the shoulder. It was one of The Ramones - Johnny, I think - who said, "Can I have a quarter? I want to play [some video game I don't recall]." I gave him a quarter, he thanked me and left.

Not hilarious. But man, was he kinda slurry. But I couldn't really tell if that was drugs or just sort of where he was on a normal day.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Not a hilarious story, actually very sad, but still a rock and roll anecdote.
Back in the early 2000s, I was in my backyard talking to my neighbor when we saw smoke and flames coming from the street behind ours. He called 911 and we stood at the back of our property and watched the fire department try valiantly and fail to save a house as it burned to the ground. Luckily no one was home at the time. When we finally went inside my neighbor said "I hope his gold records are ok". Which made me go "Wait, who's house did we just watch burn down?".
Turns out it was Felix Cavaliere, singer/keyboardist for the 60s group The Rascals. I lived in that house for 10 years after that and he never rebuilt, the lot just remained vacant. I did find out later that his band memorabilia was all kept in the basement and survived, including the gold records.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:29 PM

It's another country music rather than rock'n'roll story, concerning Waylon Jennings and Billy Joe Shaver. At this point, in 1973, Jennings was fast becoming one of the biggest names in outlaw country, and Shaver was an unknown songwriter trying to sell his songs. At a drunken party earlier in the year, Jennings had promised Shaver he'd record his songs, and taken a demo tape of them. Jennings then promptly forgot about this, and ignored Shaver's attempts to get in touch.

Getting increasingly frustrated, Shaver eventually shows up at the studio where Waylon is about to start recording his new album, and threatens to beat the crap of of Jennings if he doesn't listen to his songs immediately. Waylon was furious, but also slightly impressed, and also not feeling particulatly threatened due to the gang of Hell's Angels hanging out in the studio with him. So he tells Shaver he can play one song, and if it's the best damn song he's ever heard the bikers won't remove him from the studio with perhaps more force than strictly necessary.

To cut a long story short, the album Waylon Jennings then recorded, Honky Tonk Heroes, contained 11 Billy Joe Shaver songs (and one by another writer, at the record company's insistence), and is generally considered one of the greatest country albums of all time, and a high point of the careers of both men.

Link to a longer version of the story, with more details and some links.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:43 PM

saw a cop chasing a kid at a concert , don't know why he was chased. Another kid took the night stick off the cop and threw it and it landed right near me. No way was I picking it up but somebody picked up the night stick and ran off , don't know what happened to him.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

When I took my brother to his first concert (Genesis @ Winterland...Wind & Wuthering tour), my mother expressed concern about my brother being exposed to drunk and rowdy concert goers.

Trying to reassure her, I said that Genesis were probably the least drunk and rowdy fans I could think of. My brother nodded in agreement.

Within minutes of the band taking the stage, the people sitting behind us shook up bottle of champagne, opened it...and about half the bottle sprayed out and soaked my brother's back. He gave me a WTF!? look and we both burst out laughing.

Last edited by blondebear; 07-12-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:54 PM

Back in high school (80-82 area) the local rock station was broadcasting a live George Thorogood & The Destroyers concert - My dad was 'old school' country (vintage Cash, Robbins, Hee Haw) as well as pretty much "Rock and Roll is the devils music".

So, I was listening to this concert in my room - I stepped out to get something to drink, my dad stepped in (to go thru to the garage) at just the right moment to hear

What the Hell are you doing out there?

Being uttered from the speakers - he turned around and walked back into the kitchen looking just a little shaken.

(it seems that at that moment - some drunk dufus decided to try and climb a speaker tower).
Old 07-12-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
I didn't know. In fact, I didn't know (still don't know) who he is/was.

I'll revise my post to say "he's lucky he survived the night," rather than "he's lucky he's still alive."
My point still stands.
Dosing someone with a combination of 'ludes and alcohol?

Yeah, that's hilarious.
You do realize that my friends were drinking from the pitcher and lude's too, right? It wasn't like they were purposely trying to screw with Steve Marriott...they just offered up what they were drinking to be friendly. Nothing nefarious here.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare4roach View Post
You do realize that my friends were drinking from the pitcher and lude's too, right? It wasn't like they were purposely trying to screw with Steve Marriott...they just offered up what they were drinking to be friendly. Nothing nefarious here.
I would say that giving someone a potentially lethal drink without telling them is absolutely "nefarious," even if the giver himself is enjoying the drink. It's certainly not "hilarious."
Old 07-12-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
I would say that giving someone a potentially lethal drink without telling them is absolutely "nefarious," even if the giver himself is enjoying the drink. It's certainly not "hilarious."
Not only did they jeopardize Marriott's health, but they ruined the evening for everyone who paid to see him play. Sorry, but the "ha ha I'll take whatever" hippie days are long since over...

Last edited by jaycat; 07-12-2019 at 09:21 PM.