Old 07-13-2019, 07:37 AM

This generation's cartoon.

Every generation has their own cartoon.

Boomers: Looney Tunes.

Gen Xers: Simpsons.

Millennials: Spongebob.

What is the cartoon for Zoomers? Maybe Adventure Time?
Old 07-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Then who had Ren & Stimpy?
Old 07-13-2019, 08:40 AM

Looks like it might still be Spongebob?

But I suspect that the audience is too fragmented and the options too many for any one series to be iconic. Very important ones would probably include (derived independently of that list) Steven Universe, My Little Pony, and Rick and Morty.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:45 AM

Rick and Morty? Archer?
Old 07-13-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Rick and Morty? Archer?
IMHO, those two shows are clearly targeted at Gen-Xers.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:09 AM

Some of us older boomers go back even farther to Betty Boop, B&W Popeye and even cartoons with no speaking, just music (I seem to recall mice were involved in most of these)
Old 07-13-2019, 12:06 PM

For my students, it's Rick and Morty, followed by Spongebob.

I have two students (18 year olds) with Spongebob tattoos.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuthead View Post
Some of us older boomers go back even farther to Betty Boop, B&W Popeye and even cartoons with no speaking, just music (I seem to recall mice were involved in most of these)
Yeah, but most of those old timey cartoons were made eons before I was even born. So would those be "boomer" cartoons? If I try to remember cartoon shows that were closer to my age at the time I watched them, I think of Crusader Rabbit or Tom Terrific or Mighty Mouse. I was probably closer to my teens, but Rocky and Bullwinkle was pretty iconic for my peers and I.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:10 PM

Aren't Boomers now Zoomers?
Old 07-13-2019, 05:44 PM

I hear Paw Patrol is all the rage.

For young adults I'd say it's Yu-Gi-Oh! They've been marinaded, battered and deep fried in it. It was licensed real cheap so it became ubiquitous for almost two decades.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:18 PM

The Millenial cartoon is probably South Park or Pokemon, no?

Spongebob always struck me as a Generation Z thing. It started just after those two, but it seems like it was mostly watched by people born in the 2000s?
Old 07-13-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Nitpick: The first Looney Tunes cartoons were produced in 1930. They were as much the Greatest Generation's property as the Boomers.

The cartoons Boomers could plausibly claim ownership of are the limited animation Hanna Barbera TV shows like Flintstones, Jetsons, etc.

I guess that's more proof we Boomers ruined everything.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
Gen Xers: Simpsons.
Pfft. Yeah. "Groovy".
Old 07-13-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Nitpick: The first Looney Tunes cartoons were produced in 1930. They were as much the Greatest Generation's property as the Boomers.

The cartoons Boomers could plausibly claim ownership of are the limited animation Hanna Barbera TV shows like Flintstones, Jetsons, etc.

To be fair, while we Gen-Xers like to claim cool shows like the Simpsons, what we actually grew up on was 30-minute toy commercials like Transformers and G.I. Joe.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:27 AM

Yeah, when the Simpsons came out, the oldest Gen X were in their mid-20s, and the youngest were about to hit our teens.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
To be fair, while we Gen-Xers like to claim cool shows like the Simpsons, what we actually grew up on was 30-minute toy commercials like Transformers and G.I. Joe.
I've seen one sociologist who split Gen-X into 2 waves, "Atari Wave" and "Nintendo Wave". Speaking as an Atari Wave Gen-Xer, I was already in college by the time the toy commercial shows were on. Instead, I grew up on the dregs of Filmation and Hanna-Barbera's death throes, the shit Boomerang won't touch despite having the rights. Crap like "Hong Kong Phooey" and all the kids-and-a-talking-critter-in-a-vehicle-solving-mysteries shows that just duplicated the Scooby-Doo formula - Funky Phantom "let's make an real ghost part of the team" - Jabberjaw "talking shark instead of talking dog" - Speed Buggy - "ah fuck it, can't think of an animal, just make the car talk and call it a day" and all the animated spinoffs of current prime time hits ("The Brady Kids", "New Adventures of Gilligans Island", "Emergency +4").
It's amazing anyone my age likes animation, especially as Disney Feature Animation was at its absolute nadir in the 1970s.

Based on my kids (born in 1999 and 2002) and their classmates, I'd say the big shows in the 00s were Pokemon, Spongebob, Ben 10, and the various Butch Hartman
"screaming morons = funny" shows on Nick. For the current decade, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, and Regular Show. And although it bombed in its original run in 2003, around 2010-2012, reruns of "Invader Zim" started developing a cult following with the middle school and older set.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:48 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuthead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
Yeah, but most of those old timey cartoons were made eons before I was even born. So would those be "boomer" cartoons? If I try to remember cartoon shows that were closer to my age at the time I watched them, I think of Crusader Rabbit or Tom Terrific or Mighty Mouse. I was probably closer to my teens, but Rocky and Bullwinkle was pretty iconic for my peers and I.
I'm old enough to remember the first cartoons actually made for TV, like Crusader Rabbit, Tom Terrific, and Col. Bleep. Those even more ancient cartoons were made as shorts for movies, in the 1920s and 1930s but there was such need for content for kids in the 1950s that they played Farmer Gray and others incessantly on Saturday mornings, so they became as much ours as they were our parents'.

The next iteration was all the Jay Ward productions, such as Rocky and Bullwinkle, Dudley Dooright, and George of the Jungle.

Last edited by Colibri; 07-14-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:25 AM

Are we talking what cartoons they like watching as kids? My 7yo is all about My Little Pony:FiM and Teen Titans Go.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:03 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:

The other shows I mentioned were earlier, but had even more limited animation, mostly just stills with narration. Hanna Barbera''s TV cartoons started in 1957 with Ruff and Ready followed by Huckleberry Hound, Pixie and Dixie, and Yogi Bear. (A nitpick: The Flintstones and The Jetsons weren't kids shows, but were shown in prime time for adults.) But all the Jay Ward shows are of about the same vintage, and were much better.

Last edited by Colibri; 07-14-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
I've seen one sociologist who split Gen-X into 2 waves, "Atari Wave" and "Nintendo Wave".
You're thinking of Neil Howe and William Strauss.

I'm an Xer, and I would consider The Simpsons the defining cartoon of my generation, but, yes, when we watched everyday cartoons, it was more like Transformers or He-Man for me in my younger days. Once I got to high school, it was Simpsons the rest of the way through (I was a freshman when the Simpsons debuted, though I remember the Tracy Ullman shorts, as well.) That cartoon became "water cooler" talk at school the way none of the other did.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:38 PM

For my 18-year old grandson, there is only one cartoon: Clone Wars.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Young boomers were watching in the early 50s. Anything coming then is boomer. The peak looney tunes were then. Courageous cat came out in 1960.

There is a big difference when "your" cartoon was on tv as opposed to the cinema.

The half hour hanna barbera prime time shows are prime boomer. But Jay Ward is the patron saint of boomer cartoons.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:10 PM

I grew up on Dick Tales, Gummi Bears, Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck and during the summer whatever was on Nickleodeon while I built with Legos. Watched a lot of Nick at Night also so things like Donna Reed and My Three Sons.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
I've seen one sociologist who split Gen-X into 2 waves, "Atari Wave" and "Nintendo Wave". Speaking as an Atari Wave Gen-Xer, I was already in college by the time the toy commercial shows were on. Instead, I grew up on the dregs of Filmation and Hanna-Barbera's death throes, the shit Boomerang won't touch despite having the rights. Crap like "Hong Kong Phooey" and all the kids-and-a-talking-critter-in-a-vehicle-solving-mysteries shows that just duplicated the Scooby-Doo formula - Funky Phantom "let's make an real ghost part of the team" - Jabberjaw "talking shark instead of talking dog" - Speed Buggy - "ah fuck it, can't think of an animal, just make the car talk and call it a day" and all the animated spinoffs of current prime time hits ("The Brady Kids", "New Adventures of Gilligans Island", "Emergency +4").
It's amazing anyone my age likes animation, especially as Disney Feature Animation was at its absolute nadir in the 1970s.
All of this is true, although I also grew up on reruns of earlier generations' cartoons (Disney, Looney Tunes, Jay Ward, etc.).

If "my generation's cartoon" has to be something that was currently in production while I was a kid, Scooby Doo may be as good a candidate as any,
Old 07-15-2019, 04:05 PM

i was born in 1980... too young to be a real Gen Xer, too old to be a real millennial.

We had a lot of cartoons that we could claim as "ours": Beavis & Butthead, Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Animaniacs. What a time to be alive.

Edit: HOW DID I FORGET DUCKTALES!!!?!?!?111/!?1!?!?!?!!!
Edit again: AND TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES !!!!!???!?!?

Last edited by Clawdio; 07-15-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
I feel like South Park is more Xer. It was aimed at an older audience, and, sure, I was in college when it hit, but it definitely has an Xer vibe to me, and feels more like a Gen X cartoon than a Millennial cartoon. My brother was very tail end of Gen X (what some call Xennials) and that was high school stuff for him. I think it qualifies as X.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post

Spongebob always struck me as a Generation Z thing. It started just after those two, but it seems like it was mostly watched by people born in the 2000s?
Yeah, Spongebob started in 1999, when the oldest Millennials were about 18-19. I'm near the older end, but I've never even watched a whole episode. Except for the stoner college kids, Spongebob was tail end of Millennial, start of Z.

I saw a ton of South Park though, and slightly younger friends, near the middle of the Millennial age range, were into Pokemon.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post
i was born in 1980... too young to be a real Gen Xer, too old to be a real millennial.
I was born the same year. I like to call myself the World's Oldest Millennial.

I kind of feel like The Simpsons is just as much ours as it is the Gen Xers'. I was in the fourth grade when the show debuted (Which means Bart should be at least my age by now. If we call Bart's debut the start of the Tracy Ulman shorts he should be even older). I remember almost all the boys in my class wanted to be Bart Simpson for Halloween that year. And "Don't have a cow" tshirts were all the rage among my peers.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 07-15-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM

Nt 10 yr old was talking (unprompted) before he went to bed last night. His classics:

Minecraft
Fortnight

I don't think he's going to have a classic cartoon like Sponge Bob or Batfink.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:17 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I was born in '79 and I feel bad trying to choose just one cartoon. I agree with those who are saying we had the best Saturday morning cartooon-a-mercials. We had the best after-school cartoons (Ducktales, Animaniacs, Tailspin). And of course we had prime-time cartoons (Simpsons, Beavis & Butthead, Southpark, Ren & Stimpy).

Fuck I mean, our whole lives are cartoons. After that we've had more prime-time cartoons (Futurama, Bob's Burgers), Adult Swim (Venture Bros, Johnny Bravo, ATHF), and I watch a lot of kids cartoons now! (Adventure Time, Stephen Universe, Star Wars Rebels, NEW Ducktales)

Don't forget how Gen X and above is anime-obsessed.

And of course now we've (they've) all got kids so we're watching their cartoons and showing them our cartoons and rebooting our cartoons. And it's awesome.

I guess, thinking of all of it, the cartoon that still abides is The Simpsons.

Or, The Gummi Bears
Old 07-17-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
I grew up on Dick Tales, Gummi Bears, Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck
Chippendales? Dick Tales? What kind of cartoons were you watching?

(FTR, I also grew up on the Disney Afternoon shows, and was born in the same year as you)

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 07-17-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:54 PM

dont forget batman the animated series is still the greatest warner bros.non-looney tunes/merrie melodies cartoon ever made I mean so much so that its still everyone's version of batman 20 years later

but in the 2000's afternoons it was pokemon or power rangers both which are still going 20 years later Disney couldn't beat either of them ..... i think power rangers is or almost is the longest continuing kid show ever
Old 07-18-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I grew up on Dick Tales, Gummi Bears, Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck and during the summer whatever was on Nickleodeon while I built with Legos. Watched a lot of Nick at Night also so things like Donna Reed and My Three Sons.
Stop stealing my life!
(I never saw anything but the credits for Gummi Bears as it aired during my dinner home from school.)

No single cartoon could really encapsulate the absolute ubiquity of 80s toy commercial shows. Ducktales did stand above all others for me, personally (and ironically didn't have an associated toy line).

Bookend those with Saturday morning Snorks, He-Man, GI Joe etc. And some Tiny Toons and Animaniacs.

Between Atari/Commodore 64/Nintendo, Legos, plastic models, playing outside, and TV, it's no wonder I never did homework.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You had a crush on Gadget.
Fess up.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
You had a crush on Gadget.
Fess up.
Wait, the was an option NOT to?
Old 07-22-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I feel like South Park is more Xer. It was aimed at an older audience, and, sure, I was in college when it hit, but it definitely has an Xer vibe to me, and feels more like a Gen X cartoon than a Millennial cartoon. My brother was very tail end of Gen X (what some call Xennials) and that was high school stuff for him. I think it qualifies as X.
I'm a Millennial and South Park was very popular among my cohort from its first season. Gen-Xers were mostly out of college when the first season was released while Millenials went through high school, college, and the beginning of their careers in South Park's prime years. Yeah, you could argue that the tail end of Gen X is the right age for it, but pretty much all Millenials fit, age wise.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:16 AM

As a person who regularly interacts with Young People, I am consistently surprised at the lasting popularity of whatever the current Dragonball iterations are.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post

We had a lot of cartoons that we could claim as "ours": Beavis & Butthead, Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Animaniacs. What a time to be alive.

Edit: HOW DID I FORGET DUCKTALES!!!?!?!?111/!?1!?!?!?!!!
Edit again: AND TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES !!!!!???!?!?
Don't forget Doug. I woke up early to watch the three original Nicktoons on their debut broadcast. I wasn't wild about the Rugrats, too babyish for nine year old me, but Doug and Ren & Stimpy were right up my alley.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
What is the cartoon for Zoomers? Maybe Adventure Time?
I love Adventure Time (though I'm an Xennial, I guess). However, I'd guess that for Zoomers, Stephen Universe may have eclipsed that one. But SpongeBob was still going strong.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:32 AM

Based on my child's viewing habits, it appears to be DanTDM videos on YouTube (and others of that ilk).
Old 07-23-2019, 06:30 AM

Probably Zoomers will only know about anime.