Old 07-14-2019, 02:35 PM

007 will be played by a Black actress

Bond will be played by actress Lashana Lynch and there will be a passing of the baton to the actress in Bond 25.

Phoebe Waller Bridge was hired to write the script for James Bond and was tasked with revamping Bond to make it more relevant.

https://www.nme.com/news/film/captai...ond-25-2528591

Quote:
And it's all thanks to Phoebe Waller Bridge.

There are reports that Captain Marvel star Lashana Lynch will be “introduced as 007” in the upcoming James Bond film.

According to reports in The Daily Mail, Lynch will be introduced close to the start of the film as 007 by M in a history-making moment which would make Lynch the first female character to play the iconic spy.

The source added that later, Daniel Craig’s Bond is set to be brought “out of retirement” to thwart a “global crisis” although it’s not yet certain what Lynch’s role will be after this.

The move is reportedly down to the intervention of Fleabag creator, Phoebe Waller Bridge, who was invited to liven up the script for the upcoming film which is still known only as Bond 25.
Thoughts?
Old 07-14-2019, 02:42 PM

007 will be played by a black actress, not James Bond. James retired at the end of Spectre, so the code was given to someone else. We've seen other double 0's before.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:45 PM

It was gonna happen eventually.

The PC police would never rest until it they changed the iconic character of James Bond.

The sensible thing to do is create a character equal to Bond. There are many agents employed as intelligence officers in the Secret Intelligence Service. Why have we only been introduced to one agent?

We of course no longer live in a sane world. I won't waste my time or money watching a PC Bond.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-14-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post

The PC police would never rest until it they changed James Bond.

The sensible thing to do is create a character equal to.Bond. There are many agents employed as intelligence officers in the Secret Intelligence Service.

We of course no longer live in a sane world.
Read the post above you.

You said the exact same thing about Doctor Who.

Welcome to the actual world.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I won't waste my time or money watching a PC Bond.
Oh no. What a loss.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Why have we only been introduced to one agent?
By one you mean dozens right? I'm assuming you don't actually watch the movies ot begin with. Go back to not buying Nikes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/00_Agent#List_of_00s
Old 07-14-2019, 02:58 PM

Daniel Craig, who has played as James Bond in the previous Bond movies, will be playing as James Bond in this movie. While the movie is still in development, on its Wikipedia page, Daniel Craig is listed first among the cast, so presumably James Bond is still the star/hero of the movie, coming out of retirement to do a "final" job or something similar.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:58 PM

I'm not the only one that will be switching off.

Doctor Who's ratings have dropped to an all time low since it was restarted in 2005.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ow-bbc-1172109

The Bond movie franchise better tread carefully.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I won't waste my time or money watching a PC Bond.
Now I'm imagining John "I'm a PC" Hodgman as Bond.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:08 PM

Get woke. Go broke. Because Star Wars and Ghostbusters did so well...

If the producers are going to pander to current whims, they could have at least picked an attractive actress. The new Moneypenny was a great start.

The most important question though is: Are the Chinese going to want to go this movie?

Think if they hook up magnets to Cubby Broccoli's corpse that we could help solve any local energy shortage?
Old 07-14-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:

I think this is a ridiculous argument. It is still a James Bond movie. James Bond retired in the previous movie, so it makes logical sense that MI6 would fill the vacant 007 slot with a new agent. There's no reason why in 2019 this could not be a woman, or a person of color. You're basically arguing that a supporting character in a Bond movie cannot be a black woman, a milestone that was passed back in 1973 with Live and Let Die (or maybe earlier).
Old 07-14-2019, 03:10 PM

No problem with a Black, female Bond/007, but...from what I saw of her in Captain Marvel, I don't know that I would have chosen her. I liked her fine in that, but I can think of, oh, at least two other actresses I'd pick ahead of her just in the MCU

Last edited by MrDibble; 07-14-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Doctor Who's ratings have dropped to an all time low since it was restarted in 2005.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ow-bbc-1172109

That was for the Christmas special, not the ratings for Jodie Whittaker’s season overall, and the special aired New Years Day while all the others were on Christmas. Of course it’s rating would be lower!

The ratings have actually being higher than previous.
Quote:
The BBC drama is averaging 1.6 million viewers per episode (through the first eight episodes of the current season), which is a 20 percent rise over the last Doc (1.3 million viewers) when counting a week’s worth of delayed viewing data from Nielsen.

These numbers also put Whittaker’s first season ahead of that of previous Doctors Matt Smith, David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston.
But ok. Icky women bad. You no watch.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:12 PM

This has been reported as a female James Bond.

I could care less who plays 007. If that's just a generic title for a job. Maybe the next one can be a 12 year old, female, Japanese apprentice Sumo Wrestler. The great grand daughter of Odd Job. That should check all the appropriate boxes.

Note the heading
James Bond to Be Black & Female as Bond 25 Passes 007 to Lashana Lynch?

https://movieweb.com/james-bond-25-f...lashana-lynch/

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-14-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:15 PM

This thread is a nice concise way to out people for those of us that don't pay super close attention to posters' histories.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Now I'm imagining John "I'm a PC" Hodgman as Bond.

Just as long as he finally takes out that asshole Mac.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:36 PM

So its a female 00agent who will take over when Craig inevitably dies (and feel free to have him just retire and fake his death, writers) and will be in the next three movies (or none if this tanks)

Guys....I'm the first to bitch about obnoxious shit like 2016 Ghostbusters clutching their pearls over Ghostbusters 3....or the godawful hamfisted shit of the latest Dr. Who.

But there's nothing to see here. There's nothing wrong with giving her a shot at taking over the franchise. Though Im sure they'll have Craig act like a dinosaur just to prop her up. That's lazyass shit writing. Don't raise all boats, lower the ocean.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:39 PM

I'll admit that I'm surprised. They were reticent for him to even not be white, it had seemed.

I do feel like Bond should be a male character just given that the character (as it has come to be in film) is intended to be a chauvinist pig.

For Doctor Who, it doesn't matter too much. There's nothing about lady bits to prevent you from being an all-knowing goof and it was stupid of them to hold off from considering the option. Chauvinist pig is harder as a lady and anything that they put into its place is liable to backfire. Hopefully, they cast the part because she blew them away with her interpretation more than because they decided to tick off some boxes.

For me the problem with Bond films is that they're all basically cartoon episodes. If they serious up the presentation then I'll go. Male or female lead, I couldn't care less. Just, like I said, I'm not sure in this specific case that it really makes sense. I don't know that I believe that the world has truly given up on chauvinist pigs as a loveable, likeable thing, nor that they want those characteristics gone in their 007.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-14-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Did you notice the ? at the end of that click bait headline?
Or read the article?

Quote:
Lashana Lynch will be introduced by M to Bond in Bond 25 as the new 007. To be clear, Lynch is not Jane Bond, and Bond is still Bond - he's just no longer going to be Agent 007.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Plot for Bond 25 - my speculation. SPOILERED!
SPOILER:
S.P.E.C.T.R.E. henchmen in boats affix mines to oil tankers in some unnamed Middle Eastern gulf, as part of a false flag operation in order to try and provoke a war.

In the MI6 HQ, M calls Miss Moneypenny and asks her to send 007 through to his office. To the audience's surprise, 007 turns out not to be a late middle-aged white man, but instead a young black woman!

M tells the new 007 that she has to pay a visit to James Bond, as only he know something or other that is crucial to the plot. So 007 goes off to some Caribbean island to find a bearded James Bond, who is sipping cocktails, surfing, and listening to reggae music, possibly in some hippy commune. Whatever it is, it's not what you'd expect James Bond to be doing - he's retired, goddamit!

007 tries to persuade James Bond to help with whatever's needed in the plot to make him come out of retirement. Possibly they have sex - sorry, I haven't seen any of the recent Bond films, so I don't know whether he still does this.

Now, I can see two possible plot paths:

a) James Bond and 007 go and do a mission together.

b) James Bond refuses, saying he's retired, so 007 has to do the mission alone.

Spoiler alert:
SPOILER:
007 dies.

This spurs Bond into action and he vows to avenge her death. In a meeting with M, he accepts the 007 title again. He then meets with Q, who gives him some gadgets.

Bond goes on a final mission and defeats S.P.E.C.T.R.E., killing Blofeld in such a way that there's a possibility he didn't die and can return again.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Tan View Post
Did you notice the ? at the end of that click bait headline?
Or read the article?
He never reads more than clickbait headlines. Then he posts as if the sky is falling. Then when nothing happens he slowly backpedals and pretends he never had a problem in the first place.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

According to the IMDb, Lynch will play someone called Naomi.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Uh, we don't have to spoiler-box wild speculation. My absolutely unspoiled total speculation would be:

She is 007 and either is killed quickly or kidnapped and held. Despite his retirement, there is a reason they need James Bond specifically(like "we need the best"). I know they disavow you if you get killed(right?), but there must be some huge reason they need this 007 back.

Or, she is dead and James Bond MUST finish her mission.

It's no huge shock for 007 to pass to someone else. Perhaps at the end of this, James Bond will be 007 again and it can move on to another actor in the next movie.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:57 PM

So this is a Craig movie with him as Bond. Period.

After this?

Do they reboot again? Have 007 be someone other than Bond and stay in current universe? Could be Lynch or she can be killed off and another person becomes 007 (but not Bond).

Or just retire the franchise after a good long run but as something that has run its course and time?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This has been reported as a female James Bond.

I could care less who plays 007. If that's just a generic title for a job. Maybe the next one can be a 12 year old, female, Japanese apprentice Sumo Wrestler. The great grand daughter of Odd Job. That should check all the appropriate boxes.

Note the heading

Why are you always incapable of understanding the most basic of things even after they have been explained to you in simple terms?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
The sensible thing to do is created a character equal to Bond. There are many agents employed as intelligence officers in the Secret Intelligence Service. Why have we only been introduced to one agent?
Uh, I think that's what they're doing. James Bond is retired, so another agent is taking his place and #.

Either way, if it bothers you that much, don't go see the movie.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Why are you always incapable of understanding the most basic of things even after they have been explained to you in simple terms?
I completely understand the situation. A different person is 007. Something goes wrong and Bond comes out of retirement to finish the assignment.

The press is fixated on the gender change and that's what I responded too. Headlines matter.

Going forward I have no interest in watching a new character permanently fill the role as 007. YMMV and that's fine.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-14-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:

The PC police would never rest until it they changed the iconic character of James Bond.

The sensible thing to do is create a character equal to Bond. There are many agents employed as intelligence officers in the Secret Intelligence Service. Why have we only been introduced to one agent?

We of course no longer live in a sane world. I won't waste my time or money watching a PC Bond.
Are these PC police the same monsters who tried to tell you that complimenting a 12-year-old girl on her tits was bad?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:24 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
but I can think of, oh, at least two other actresses I'd pick ahead of her just in the MCU
Neither are from the UK.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Neither are from the UK.
They're not from Wakanda, either, but they did a pretty good job faking it.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I could care less who plays 007. If that's just a generic title for a job.
Quote:
I completely understand the situation. A different person is 007.
LOL.

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 07-14-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Neither are from the UK.
Pierce Brosnan, George Lazenby. Your point?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Headlines matter.
Sure. But by your reasoning, if I started a thread entitled "aceplace57 is an aardvark", rather than trying to understand the true state of affairs and focusing any criticism on the inaccuracy of my claim, the important thing to do would be to express outrage at how the moderators could possibly allow an aardvark to post on SDMB.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:52 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
how the moderators could possibly allow an aardvark to post on SDMB.
I would allow it (and it might be an improvement in some cases), but the claws might make it difficult to use the shift key.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
Pierce Brosnan, George Lazenby. Your point?
Just looked her up thinking she was American for a hot second.

Now THAT would be something to be outraged about.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
A Step Too Far.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I would allow it (and it might be an improvement in some cases), but the claws might make it difficult to use the shift key.

Coincidentally, an aardwolf just started posting.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
This thread is a nice concise way to out people for those of us that don't pay super close attention to posters' histories.
Isn't it though. Although these folks have been making their positions clear for quite a while now.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:27 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
The most important question though is: Are the Chinese going to want to go this movie?
The movie audiences whose attendance made action-film stars out of Michelle Yeoh, Ziyi Zhang, and Li Bingbing? Nah, they'll never watch it.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:40 PM

I wish they would of went through with the hallie berry as "jinx" spinoff series after die another day ......
Old 07-14-2019, 07:41 PM

I have no problem with this. In this day and age it's foolish to think 007 can only be a white male. And I like the idea that the 00 designation can be handed down to other agents.

Now if they were trying to set the movie back during the Cold War, it really wouldn't make sense. To all the snowflakes who find this the worst thing to ever happen, just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,
I should really just relax."
Old 07-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Just looked her up thinking she was American for a hot second.

I thought Lynch was American until I read this thread. She did a really good job with the accent in Captain Marvel.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

OK, this thread needs some attention. First of all, aceplace57, if you're so disinterested in the topic that you're not willing to read beyond one headline, even when the information you're missing was already posted in the thread before you, then you don't need to be spreading your disinterest. Do not return to this thread.

Second, to everyone else, if you have any issues with aceplace57, especially issues that stem from any thread other than this one, you need to take it to the Pit. Further discussion of aceplace57 is likewise out of line in this thread.

Violation of either of these directives will result in a Warning.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Just as long as they don't make her a mermaid.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:00 PM

My apologies, I didn't mean to derail the thread.

James Bond films are a part of my childhood and my adult life. I care deeply about them.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-14-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
My apologies, I didn't mean to derail the thread.

James Bond films are a part of my childhood and my adult life. I care deeply about them.
But this could be awesome, if done right. She won't be Bond, but she could still be a great character in great movies. It's okay to pass the torch, and it's okay if the torch sometimes passes to a black woman.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Liam View Post
...Thoughts?
Meh.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
But this could be awesome, if done right. She won't be Bond, but she could still be a great character in great movies. It's okay to pass the torch, and it's okay if the torch sometimes passes to a black woman.
Maybe so. Let's see how it goes.

I've seen every Bond premier in a theater since Live and Let Die. I saw the earlier ones on TV.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
The movie audiences whose attendance made action-film stars out of Michelle Yeoh, Ziyi Zhang, and Li Bingbing? Nah, they'll never watch it.
Are they black? I'm familiar with the first two---Yeoh was the best part of Tomorrow Never Dies---would have to look up Ms. Bingbing.

How did Black Panther do financially in East Asia? Have Chinese audiences previously been open to watching a black female action lead. I genuinely don't know.

Or are we in the post-'caring about whether a proposed project tests well' stage of reeducation?
Old 07-14-2019, 08:41 PM

I was hoping for a Mexican James Bond