Old 07-16-2019, 06:13 PM

Scott Lynch, author of Gentlemen Bastards series

He has written three novels:

The Lies of Locke Lamore (2006)
Red Seas Under Red Skies (2007)
The Republic of Thieves (2013)

It is rumored that he has completed the 4th book in the series: The Thorn of Emberlain, but it is still being edited.

His Wikipedia page claims that there are three more books forthcoming.

Is he just trying to become the new George RR Martin? Or does he not really like to write?

I have enjoyed the series to date. I find the characters amusing and his world building pretty interesting.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
He has written three novels:

The Lies of Locke Lamore (2006)
Red Seas Under Red Skies (2007)
The Republic of Thieves (2013)

It is rumored that he has completed the 4th book in the series: The Thorn of Emberlain, but it is still being edited.

His Wikipedia page claims that there are three more books forthcoming.

Is he just trying to become the new George RR Martin? Or does he not really like to write?

I have enjoyed the series to date. I find the characters amusing and his world building pretty interesting.
With a thread title like that, I thought you were going to say he was dead.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:30 PM

Oh, please- Wah, wah, wah. "George R R Martin takes too long with his books" "Scott Lynch is a few years overdue". Sure. What a bunch of whiny babies.
You don't know what waiting means until you've been a Patrick Rothfuss fan!
Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 PM

In this very forum, someone claimed he was "struggling with depression".
Old 07-16-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
Oh, please- Wah, wah, wah. "George R R Martin takes too long with his books" "Scott Lynch is a few years overdue". Sure. What a bunch of whiny babies.
Of course the real genius of Patrick Rothfuss is that if you complain he hasn’t finished the third book, he points to the fact that he’s spending all his time on his Worldbuilders charity. Never has procrastination been sublimated for such a greater good.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:16 PM

*feels absolutely spoiled rotten, fandomwise*
Old 07-16-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
Years ago before he was published, he used to post on RPG.net and also a few times sporadically since being published. As I recall, there was not only "struggling with depression" but also a later bad breakup that maybe influenced how he wrote Sabetha later. Although I see that wiki mentions he's subsequently married, so hopefully that's all good.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

I adored the first book, and really liked the second. The third book felt like he was working out some unresolved feelings toward his ex. I know authors use the emotions they know to lend power to their writing, but in this case it really didn't work for me.

I hope he's happier now and is able to write an awesome fourth book, because the first two were great.

Rothfuss? Sigh. Fun writing completely ruined by the worst Mary Sue protagonist ever written. Like, when you write about how many times your protagonist can make a Goddess of Lust come, maybe you've gone a bit overboard.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:49 AM

The good news is that he's writing a fairly non-structured series, he's not shooting for some grand narrative arc a la GRRM that causes all sorts of problems.

I was impressed with his second one in terms of how he was prepared to change tack with it, it's not a special book like the Lies but showed a lot of substance as a writer IMHO. Third one went off a cliff so I hope the fourth will be a return to form - could easily be, it's not like Winds of Winter where there's just no possible way it can be good.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
See, that's why I've become a Brandon Sanderson fan in recent years. I mean, I love the man's writing, but I love his work ethic even more.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
See, that's why I've become a Brandon Sanderson fan in recent years. I mean, I love the man's writing, but I love his work ethic even more.
Hell yeah. Let me give you another instance: Terry Pratchett. The best artists just work through creative slumps until they're demolished.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:22 AM

I used to say the same about Jim Butcher, but he's dropped the ball these last few years.

Last edited by Alessan; 07-18-2019 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Rothfuss? Sigh. Fun writing completely ruined by the worst Mary Sue protagonist ever written. Like, when you write about how many times your protagonist can make a Goddess of Lust come, maybe you've gone a bit overboard.

Wouldn't a Goddess of Lust come pretty easily? Now if you were talking about seducing the Goddess of Chastity I'd be impressed, but making a Goddess of Lust come doesn't exactly sound like much of an achievement.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:16 AM

The main problem with Rothfuss is that he's written two books of a three-book trilogy, and I'm still waiting for the story to start.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I used to say the same about Jim Butcher, but he's dropped the ball these last few years.
As of June 17th he is just working on the wrap up chapter for Peace Talks. The main novel is done. Being used to GRRM, Patrick Rothfuss, and Scott Lynch, I can give Jim Butcher some slack.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I'm still waiting for Melanie Rawn 's third book in the her Exiles trilogy. It's only been what? 21 years?
Old 07-18-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I'm still waiting for Melanie Rawn 's third book in the her Exiles trilogy. It's only been what? 21 years?
Ladies and Gentlemen - I give you David Gerrold. The last book in the Chtorr series came out in the 1993. I'm all in favor of the author not publishing it until he thinks he's got it right, but I must admit some slight impatience.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Wouldn't a Goddess of Lust come pretty easily? Now if you were talking about seducing the Goddess of Chastity I'd be impressed, but making a Goddess of Lust come doesn't exactly sound like much of an achievement.
It's been awhile since I read it, but IIRC, she kept going on about what an amazing lover he was and fell madly in love with him due to his mad sex skillz, despite his having very little/no bedroom experience previously.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:39 AM

If you can't deal with writers taking their time, wait until a series is complete or the author is safely dead.

It's not like "writes a book every year come hell or high water" is a perfect solution. I've given up on more than one series that just went off the rails because the author didn't have to worry about the true fans stopping reading just because a super natural sex orgy took up one third of a book with no real overarching plot.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen - I give you David Gerrold. The last book in the Chtorr series came out in the 1993. I'm all in favor of the author not publishing it until he thinks he's got it right, but I must admit some slight impatience.
That just beats out Clive Barker. I want my damn Third Book of The Art, damn it.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
It's been awhile since I read it, but IIRC, she kept going on about what an amazing lover he was and fell madly in love with him due to his mad sex skillz, despite his having very little/no bedroom experience previously.
Was that it? I recall something about how she was preparing to fuck him to death (or perhaps simply kill him) for intruding onto her turf, but he impresses her with his burgeoning yet powerful proto-wizard skills of seeing into the true nature of things and commanding the elements. Subsequently, she takes him under her wing and he ends up spending a lot of time with her.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:41 AM

I can see how if you are cranking out "thrillers" some might expect a book each year. Yet I don't see people bitching about not enough Thomas Pynchon. OTOH, if you know how to write then 5, let alone 10, years ought to be enough to write a novel. Trilogies and such should be more or less planned out from the beginning, lest the author decide in the middle that he or she be unenthusiastic about the whole thing.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:58 AM

Now, Bernard Cornwell, that's an author with work ethic, you can rest assured you'll have a new Uthred book in your hands every single year.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
With a thread title like that, I thought you were going to say he was dead.
Yeah, I had a momentary reaction of "Oh no—what about him?" when I saw the thread title.

Quote:
And I also thought, "Yeah, speaking of people who really need to write the next book in their fantasy series..."

Not quite as egregious, but Jasper Fforde also has several series that I'm waiting for the next book in.

Quote:
I adored the first book, and really liked the second. The third book felt like he was working out some unresolved feelings toward his ex. I know authors use the emotions they know to lend power to their writing, but in this case it really didn't work for me.

I hope he's happier now and is able to write an awesome fourth book, because the first two were great.
Yeah, pretty much this.

The first book is standalone enough that I'm tempted to advise people to read just that one and stop there, at least until the rest of the series appears.

Quote:
Although, work ethic doesn't necessarily mean that series get finished quickly. Doesn't he kind of jump around from series to series?

No one can fault Stephen King's level of productivity, but it took him awhile to get the Dark Tower finished.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I, for one, am starting to suspect that Harlan Ellison is never going to release The Last Dangerous Visions.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hell yeah. Let me give you another instance: Terry Pratchett. The best artists just work through creative slumps until they're demolished.
Harry Turtledove is another example of an author who sticks to a schedule and publishes the books he promised.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He works hard, but unfortunately for me, I feel like his Stormlight Archive masterwork is his least interesting series.

He's going to dedicate himself to a big "thick book epic" series I don't want. I prefer Mistborn series books by a mile.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
To be fair, it's very heavily implied that he's an unreliable narrator.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

I think that's what I settled on at some point, that he was really this useless little dweeb making all that shit up. It amused me, but wasn't really satisfying.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Was that it? I recall something about how she was preparing to fuck him to death (or perhaps simply kill him) for intruding onto her turf, but he impresses her with his burgeoning yet powerful proto-wizard skills of seeing into the true nature of things and commanding the elements. Subsequently, she takes him under her wing and he ends up spending a lot of time with her.
This is pretty close to how I remember it.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Damn, that was eight years ago. *sob*

So, just ftr, Steven Erickson is an author who writes books that can fell a wildebeest and he does it in a thoroughly brisk fashion. You can expect a few thousand words from him every year or two. For those who like that sort of thing.

Also, the entire Malazan Book of the Fallen is available as one Kindle book, for $80, which is a deal but also sort of terrifying. Worth it though.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
she actually made a second? which she swore shed never do......
Old 07-19-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merneith View Post
Damn, that was eight years ago. *sob*

So, just ftr, Steven Erickson is an author who writes books that can fell a wildebeest and he does it in a thoroughly brisk fashion. You can expect a few thousand words from him every year or two. For those who like that sort of thing.

Also, the entire Malazan Book of the Fallen is available as one Kindle book, for $80, which is a deal but also sort of terrifying. Worth it though.
Erikson is an absolute animal with the pen, a big reason why Malazan was (borderline) coherent over ten books [some might disagree with that, but it never unravelled].
There was a character in Neil Stephenson's reamde who was a parody of an Erikson fantasy word machine that was a close-ish anagram, I wondered if he was taking the piss a little bit with it.
From wiki - Devin "Skeletor" Skraelin, an absurdly prolific pulp fantasy author under long-term contract to fill in narrative details of T'Rain.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
He had a long Twitter feed about it (I can't link to it, because I gave up Twitter) in which he talked about the breakup of his marriage and how his success overwhelmed him to the point of panic and depression. I too, and eagerly awaiting Thorne of Emberlain. Go Locke Lamora!
Old 07-19-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
if you complain he hasn’t finished the third book
My complaint is that I read the first two.