Old 07-17-2019, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintly Loser View Post
Authors:

George R.R. Martin (I think he attains Dan Brown-like levels of unreadability)
He has genius, but it's hidden by the fact they he has obtained godlike status so they dont edit him anymore. So there's too much crap. Robert Jordan, S. M. Stirling and Steven King all have/had that same problem.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post

As for music, maybe Beyonce?She's always kind of gotten on my nerves and actively makes me not want to see the new Lion King.
Yes, she can sing- yes, she is lovely- but she seems so fake and totally fabricated. Which, of course, she is, so.....
Old 07-17-2019, 10:29 PM

Oh, here's one: American candy bars. Chocolate. Peanuts. Chocolate AND peanuts. Forever and ever, AMEN. some might be mixed up with cookies, wafers, pretzels, nougat (?)..., but it all boils down to Chocolate + Peanuts. SO BORING.....I think there is or is going to be a worldwide shortage of chocolate so they are bulking it up with fillers.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
Ooo-er - so nobody has said this, but.........

I can't stand rap music.

Now, there was a time, way back in the '80s, when rap was new, original, fresh and exciting. I thought, at the time, that The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill was a modern wonder of the world, and pointed the way forwards to a new golden age of music. And then - what happened? There doesn't seem to have been any progress in decades.

j
I loved Old school rap, Sugarhill gang, Frankie Smith, and yes, Will Smith. Modern stuff? Too much violence, misogyny, and drugs.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauplius View Post
Breaking Bad - totally overrated
I know, but we're alone in this, it seems.....
Old 07-17-2019, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Breaking Bad, already mentioned
Seinfeld: it was ok, but not great, better than most sitcoms, but that's not saying much.
It had moments, but the characters were so unlikable.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

For those of you who dont like the Dead- did you ever attend a Dead Concert? It's all the difference in the world. Now, i am not a super fan, not a Deadhead, I have like two CDs and a tie that Jerry supposedly sent me (more likely his manager), but in concert they were something else.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
It had moments, but the characters were so unlikable.
The movie "Whiplash" was highly recommended, but I lasted about 15 minutes for this exact reason.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:56 PM

Jim Carrey, Will Ferrell, and Amy Poehler are not funny, and the last two are downright creepy.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:07 AM

Quote:
I never liked Andy Kaufman. Him standing there, mouthing the words to Mighty Mouse' is perhaps the least funny and most stupid thing I have ever seen.
I thought it was hilarious. It’s genius was conceptual much like Jasper Johns’ White Flag was. Not so much a beautiful painting to look at but conceptually brilliant. But I respect your opinion.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:07 AM

I realized a few years ago that, apart from The Beatles, Bowie and Elton John, I don't like most of the "legendary musicians" from the 60s.

Dylan is really the worst offender in my view : awful voice, shitty, pseudo-deep but actually pathetically mundane lyrics, contrived rhymes, compteletly nondescript songswriting. I just don't understand the veneration he gets and must admit I find it embarassing. Is there a word for "overrated to the absurd" ?

Next come The Rolling Stones. If they'd been a solid local, or even "national" act in the 1960s, fine. But megastars for almost 6 decades? That doesn't make sense. If their whole catalog disappeared suddenly, there's not a single song that I'd miss. Not. One.

Hendrix. I tried to like his music and there's no doubt that he was a great guitarist. Too bad that his songs are unmemorable.
Clapton. Never really cared for his stuff.
The Who. Just not that good.
The Doors. Not awful but a solid meh. And as far as Morrison's "poetry" is concerned, see Dylan, Bob.
Et d’où ma vie s’égoutte au moindre mouvement

Last edited by Les Espaces Du Sommeil; 07-18-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
The Dead were a concert group. They have two decent hit songs, but if you never saw them in concert, it is understandable you'd think "meh".

I never liked Andy Kaufman. Him standing there, mouthing the words to Mighty Mouse' is perhaps the least funny and most stupid thing I have ever seen. Nor was he funny on Taxi, except maybe in very small doses.
Taking a thought from an earlier post by Scumpup, I like the idea of Andy Kaufman. Andy Kaufman in practice, not so much.

Exact same thing.

j
Old 07-18-2019, 04:34 AM

Stevie Wonder, king of soulless soul and easy listening R&B.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:48 AM

Pretty much any computer game that's called "realistic". A boring palette doesn't make something "realistic".

The Walking Dead. Breaking Bad. When Middlebro starts waxing poetic about them, I'm very happy that years of dealing with corporate shite have left me with at least the beginning of a poker face. I think he's finally realized that minutes of deep silence followed by a very flat "u-hu" do not equal an expression of admiration for his favorite shows. I don't know what his current fixation happens to be, but I expect I'll find out in the next few weeks and it will be something I find as much of a heartburn-inducer as those other two.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
The movie "Whiplash" was highly recommended, but I lasted about 15 minutes for this exact reason.
I mentioned this film upthread and yes, you are absolutely right. I don't criticise you for bailing, life is too short after all, but I stuck with it because I was willing the film to go in the direction that it ultimately did. Without giving too much away the ending is not a feel-good one and I felt nicely vindicated.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Espaces Du Sommeil View Post
I realized a few years ago that, apart from The Beatles, Bowie and Elton John, I don't like most of the "legendary musicians" from the 60s.

Dylan is really the worst offender in my view : awful voice, shitty, pseudo-deep but actually pathetically mundane lyrics, contrived rhymes, compteletly nondescript songswriting. I just don't understand the veneration he gets and must admit I find it embarassing. Is there a word for "overrated to the absurd" ?

Next come The Rolling Stones. If they'd been a solid local, or even "national" act in the 1960s, fine. But megastars for almost 6 decades? That doesn't make sense. If their whole catalog disappeared suddenly, there's not a single song that I'd miss. Not. One.

Hendrix. I tried to like his music and there's no doubt that he was a great guitarist. Too bad that his songs are unmemorable.
Clapton. Never really cared for his stuff.
The Who. Just not that good.
The Doors. Not awful but a solid meh. And as far as Morrison's "poetry" is concerned, see Dylan, Bob.
I think this is a near-perfect post for this thread. I disagree with you on all counts, sir! Sacrilege to the sixth power! IOW, well played!
Old 07-18-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

The freeform jazz thing I can't get into at all.

My neighbor is a jazz bassist, lovely guy, and I saw his band play a Christmas concert. They get done warming up and he goes to the microphone "That was XYZ from artist ABC" I'm thinking, not only did nothing anyone play go with anything anyone else was playing, this mess was apparently important enough in Jazz circles to be recorded and learned by other musicians.

Then they played the Christmas tune from Charlie Brown, and it was magical. I mean a real treat for the ears, a sweet little song from a cartoon, played with soul and heart and TALENT that elevated it immensely. So, here we have very talented musicians, and I couldn't even tell their first song was a song.

Last edited by Cheesesteak; 07-18-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:55 AM

George R. R. Martin. It's like Thomas Hardy got reincarnated and started writing fantasy.

Tolkien. Protip: don't admit this at a science fiction convention. Tolkien fans don't take it well and start hyperventilating. Then they back away like you have the plague.

Tom Hanks. I find him grating.

The Rolling Stones.

Seinfeld. Jail was too good for them.

Mafia movies.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I don't like Bob Dylan.
Are you me? I can't stand listening to him for more than a couple of songs.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
For those of you who dont like the Dead- did you ever attend a Dead Concert? It's all the difference in the world. .
I don't think it would help. I don't use drugs anymore.

-God
Old 07-18-2019, 10:45 AM

Fawlty Towers.

After all the original bits done in MPFC, to see Cleese do old school, unoriginal, predictable "humor"* was a major let down.

* And it was racist and sexist even by late 70s standards. (Which is when I watched it.)
Old 07-18-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Espaces Du Sommeil View Post
Dylan is really the worst offender in my view : awful voice, shitty, pseudo-deep but actually pathetically mundane lyrics, contrived rhymes, compteletly nondescript songswriting. I just don't understand the veneration he gets and must admit I find it embarassing.
Do modern music lyrics get any better than, “the pump won’t work ‘cause the vandal stole the handle”? I don’t see how they could!

Agree, Dylan sucks
Old 07-18-2019, 10:59 AM

I really couldn't care less about the Rolling Stones or Prince.

The only thing I ever got of out Game of Thrones is to learn that I'm not as good at telling white people apart as I thought I was.

Online gaming: not into it, at least publicly open games. If I wanted to be called a fag and told to go fuck my mother by anonymous virgins every ten seconds, I'll just go post on Yahoo or YouTube comments.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:35 AM

I really wanted to like Doctor Who. I'm big on both British programming and science fiction. What's not to like?

But the show just doesn't do it for me. It seems like a lot of in-jokes and claptrap.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Seconding Andy Kauffman. Comedy at the expense of the audience is not comedy.

Expanding a bit further, the entire genre of comedy wherein the Straight Man doesn't realize he's the butt of the joke makes me physically uncomfortable. Borat, Impractical Jokers, the whole thing just makes me cringe to the point of discomfort.

My worst fear is unknowingly winding up as the joke in someone else's bit.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:08 PM

Country music. Any of it.

"Oh, I can understand not enjoying modern country music, but surely you must appreciate the classics like Patsy Cline and Hank Williams, right?"

No. I hate them too. All of it.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
Expanding a bit further, the entire genre of comedy wherein the Straight Man doesn't realize he's the butt of the joke makes me physically uncomfortable. Borat, Impractical Jokers, the whole thing just makes me cringe to the point of discomfort.
Agreed. Pranks are the lowest form of comedy, in my opinion. Putting someone into an artificially uncomfortable situation and watching as they react as pretty much any normal human being would react when put into that situation.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:17 PM

Godfather. I and II and III.

And I'm not a guy who could easily fall asleep.

Martin Scorsese.

What's so special about him? Seriously?

The Rolling Stones.

I don't get when people ask "The Beatles or The Stones"? How could one even compare the musical Leonardo Da Vinci of 20th century with below par rock band with samey guitar licks?
Old 07-18-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Anybody think it's a sacrilege to dislike the Eagles or Journey? Seriously??
Get outta my Cab!

I'm getting serious Waldorf and Stadler or Walter vibes off a lot of these posts. I'm not sure if a lot of these dislikes aren't due to overexposure, though. Every other song on the radio two months ago was Queen. I don't mind Queen but , Jeez! Enough already! Now it's Elton John.

So, my Meh list goes thus:
Beyonce- Vastly overrated since she left Destiny's Child.
Cronuts-Stupid.
Tim Hortons- As a Canadian I'm supposed to think T-Hos are a national treasure. Twenty years ago they were good. In trying to be all things to everyone, they now suck hard!
Grateful Dead- I don't get it.
Nike Shoes- Suck. And have always sucked.

Get offa my lawn.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Japanese animation/comic books.

*runs for very life*
Word. Both of my sons are into Japanese anime (the older one into Dragonball Z, the younger currently int something called "Jojo.) Honestly, I tried, but I just cannot get into that stuff.

(although there was this series called (I think) Megaforce X or somesuch, that seems to be a satire on Robotech, that I thought was enjoyable. And I used to love the "JPop America Funtime" sketchs on SNL, which my older son hated - probably because they were so on-point)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
"Seinfeld" - not funny and the eponymous character whines too much.
I really wanted to like Seinfeld, because I had seen his stand-up and enjoyed it very much. Only all the characters (including Jerry) were so unlikable I couldn't get through the first season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
Game of Thrones. I just don't get it.
Yep. Same. The missus loved it, but I just could not get into it. Of course, she would say the same about a lot of stuff I like to watch. What are ya gonna do...
Old 07-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
For those of you who dont like the Dead- did you ever attend a Dead Concert? It's all the difference in the world. Now, i am not a super fan, not a Deadhead, I have like two CDs and a tie that Jerry supposedly sent me (more likely his manager), but in concert they were something else.
The Dead did a show in NYC during the ‘80s that was reviewed by the Village Voice...which has been too Cool for School to say anything nice about the Dead after 1971.

The reviewer said “by the time they were halfway through the first set I was ready to take them home with me.”
Old 07-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Fawlty Towers.

After all the original bits done in MPFC, to see Cleese do old school, unoriginal, predictable "humor"* was a major let down.

* And it was racist and sexist even by late 70s standards. (Which is when I watched it.)
Yeah, not his best.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Especially when they are being nice, patient and helpful to the "joker".
Old 07-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I'm not sure if a lot of these dislikes aren't due to overexposure, though. Every other song on the radio two months ago was Queen. I don't mind Queen but , Jeez! Enough already! Now it's Elton John.
This is why I stopped listening to classic rock stations about five years ago. Even music that I really like, they'd play into the ground. Who's Next used to be one of my favorite albums, but even after having not heard any songs from it in the past 5 years, another decade without hearing any if its songs would be awesome.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
Do modern music lyrics get any better than, “the pump won’t work ‘cause the vandal stole the handle”? I don’t see how they could!

Agree, Dylan sucks
Now the senator came down here, showing ev’ryone his gun
Handing out free tickets to the wedding of his son
An’ me, I nearly got busted, and wouldn’t it be my luck
To get caught without a ticket, and be discovered beneath a truck

Maybe not the perfect lyrics for Trump's July 4 shindig, but close enough. And Dylan wrote them back in the mid 1960s.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
How so? Did they play songs from bands that didn't suck?
Old 07-18-2019, 03:35 PM

I tip my hat to you.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:38 PM

I also thought Wii was just a massive bore. I would rather do those things, rather than simulate them.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Seconding Andy Kauffman. Comedy at the expense of the audience is not comedy.

My worst fear is unknowingly winding up as the joke in someone else's bit.
Related (or maybe the same thing): "insult comics."

Don Rickles was a jackass. So is anyone like him. There is nothing funny about this style of "comedy." If you have no talent for being funny, and insulting others is all you can come up with, then maybe you should consider a different career.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Also don't get the appeal of Alyson Hannigan.
I can't say that her acting is anything special but as the host of "Fool Us", she seems like a normal enough person.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I don't think it would help. I don't use drugs anymore.

But do you use them any less?
Old 07-18-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
But do you use them any less?
Heh! I can just picture Lewis Carroll and Mitch Hedberg in the Great Beyond, sharing a toke and enjoying each other's banter.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:16 PM

South Park. I never have seen the humor in it. Even less humorous is quoting decades-old catchphrases from it. Even if I didn't already dislike the show, that alone would sour me on it.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
South Park. I never have seen the humor in it. Even less humorous is quoting decades-old catchphrases from it. Even if I didn't already dislike the show, that alone would sour me on it.
Agreed.

No one has any comment on my contribution -- Nina Simone?
She sure is a sacred cow among the hipsters in my family. Maybe they're unrepresentative of larger society.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:35 PM

Vertigo (1958)

This is a movie that is stuck in neutral and never goes anywhere for me.

I don't buy the plot about Madeleine and Judy and James Stewart and curing his vertigo and blah, blah everything else.

Of course, I'm wrong because it always is on the top 100 or 50 or whatever movies of all time and is one of "Hitchcock's greatest films!".

This ain't no Rear Window by a mile.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Agreed.

She sure is a sacred cow among the hipsters in my family. Maybe they're unrepresentative of larger society.
I know the name, but I'm going: author? Singer/songwriter? I have no idea what she even does, why she's someone whose name I'm vaguely aware of.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you don't like a band's music that you can hear on the radio or on a CD, why in the world would you bother going to one of their concerts?
Old 07-18-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I primarily know of her from Point of No Return.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I know the name, but I'm going: author? Singer/songwriter? I have no idea what she even does, why she's someone whose name I'm vaguely aware of.
Soul/blues/jazz singer from the 60s-70s, including some racially woke stuff (a la Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On" or Billoe Holiday's "Strange Fruit.")

But just a terrible, terrible voice and style, IMHO. Makes me cringe. (And I love me some Tom Waits, etc. etc.).
Old 07-18-2019, 05:47 PM

Major league baseball.

I STILL see "W" flags flying outside people's houses, and people actually pulled their children out of school to see the Cubs' trophy from winning the World Series.