Old 07-18-2019, 02:56 PM

What should I know before going to see “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” on Broadway?

I’ll be going to see the 2-part play next Wednesday (both parts on the same day) with my kids. I’ve watched a couple of the movies, but really don’t remember much at all. If necessary, I can probably squeeze in two of the movies this weekend, but certainly not all of them. My kids have seen them all, and read the books. so they are all set.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
I’ll be going to see the 2-part play next Wednesday (both parts on the same day) with my kids. I’ve watched a couple of the movies, but really don’t remember much at all. If necessary, I can probably squeeze in two of the movies this weekend, but certainly not all of them. My kids have seen them all, and read the books. so they are all set.
"Goblet of Fire" is the key movie to see, I think, since (as I recall) "Cursed Child" plays off events in that movie most of all. If you have time to see a second movie, "Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2" is the other one to see.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
"Goblet of Fire" is the key movie to see, I think, since (as I recall) "Cursed Child" plays off events in that movie most of all. If you have time to see a second movie, "Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2" is the other one to see.
Thanks! Will watch them both this weekend. Will need something to do since it’s going to be 100 degrees F here.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Will watch them both this weekend. Will need something to do since it’s going to be 100 degrees F here.
Let us know how you like the show (I just read the plays).
Old 07-19-2019, 07:51 AM

You could also watch HP3, Prisoner of Azkaban, since it establishes how time travel works in the HPverse (poorly), and it's also the best movie of the series. But it's not really necessary, as long as you know that the HPverse has time travel.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Let us know how you like the show (I just read the plays).
Will do!
Old 07-20-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
You could also watch HP3, Prisoner of Azkaban, since it establishes how time travel works in the HPverse (poorly), and it's also the best movie of the series. But it's not really necessary, as long as you know that the HPverse has time travel.
Plus the time travel works differently in A Cursed Child, without the same limitations. (I assume it's some very special Time Turner.) So it might be confusing learning the rules and then finding out they don't apply.

Last edited by BigT; 07-20-2019 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:43 AM

I don’t have a way of watching Deathly Hollows Pt.2 (not on Netflix and only part 1 is available on my provider), so will have to just watch Goblet of Fire.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Superwife and I have seen this twice now, both times at the Wednesday double feature. We loved it.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the first scene of the play is the last scene of Deathly Hallows. The plot summaries on Wikipedia might be helpful:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2

Get there early - admissions queue up as early as an hour before curtain. You'll have the opportunity to get pictures in front of each of the house banners as the line progresses.

Take time to enjoy the theater. It was basically gutted and redecorated for Cursed Child, and in some ways, the theater, halls, steps, and lobbies are set pieces for the play. Even the fire stairs from the top balcony are unique. Here are some pictures from the Lyric's website

Make plans for dinner in advance. The break between shows is something like three hours, which seems like a lot of time until you're wandering the sidewalks looking for a place that can seat you.

The programs that the ushers hand you upon entrance have brief summaries of each of the books, and of key characters. A quick scan will help.

If you ask the ushers when you get seated before the show, they'll be happy to take pictures of your children with the stage in the background as long as it's not immediately before curtain. Extra credit if they're wearing costumes or memorabilia.

The inventory in the lobby gift shops is different for part 1 and part 2. Kind of like how tie-in merchandise is different for each of the movies. If I remember, part 1 merchandise was is a little lighter spirited, and part 2 was darker.

And here's some information from the show's website to whet your appetite:
About the Show.

Have a great time!
Old 07-22-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNelson View Post
Superwife and I have seen this twice now, both times at the Wednesday double feature. We loved it.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the first scene of the play is the last scene of Deathly Hallows. The plot summaries on Wikipedia might be helpful:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2

Get there early - admissions queue up as early as an hour before curtain. You'll have the opportunity to get pictures in front of each of the house banners as the line progresses.

Take time to enjoy the theater. It was basically gutted and redecorated for Cursed Child, and in some ways, the theater, halls, steps, and lobbies are set pieces for the play. Even the fire stairs from the top balcony are unique. Here are some pictures from the Lyric's website

Make plans for dinner in advance. The break between shows is something like three hours, which seems like a lot of time until you're wandering the sidewalks looking for a place that can seat you.

The programs that the ushers hand you upon entrance have brief summaries of each of the books, and of key characters. A quick scan will help.

If you ask the ushers when you get seated before the show, they'll be happy to take pictures of your children with the stage in the background as long as it's not immediately before curtain. Extra credit if they're wearing costumes or memorabilia.

The inventory in the lobby gift shops is different for part 1 and part 2. Kind of like how tie-in merchandise is different for each of the movies. If I remember, part 1 merchandise was is a little lighter spirited, and part 2 was darker.

And here's some information from the show's website to whet your appetite:
About the Show.

Have a great time!
Thank you for the great advice! Much appreciated.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:10 PM

"What should I know before going to see “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” on Broadway?"

Cynical joke #1: where the exits are

Cynical joke #2: how much booze fits in a flask, length of play, and closest liquor store during intermission
Old 07-24-2019, 10:51 PM

I really enjoyed the play. I read the Wikipedia summaries, but just once, so still felt a bit lost walking in. However, the Playbill gave a great recap, which really helped. Although I’m not a huge fan of time travel in fiction, the play had a compelling storyline that kept me interested. I did miss some of the “inside” humor though. The subtle and not over-the-top magic and other visual tricks were unique and memorable. My kids and I are still curious about they got the wavy view to work for the ongoing transition scenes. I’d never seen that before. Overall, I’d say it was definitely in my top 5 plays of all time. Hamilton is still definitely #1, but this one just might be #2. And since Hamilton was all in song, and the last one I’d seen, the lack of songs was a nice change of pace. For some reason, I assumed this would be a musical.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
My kids and I are still curious about they got the wavy view to work for the ongoing transition scenes. I’d never seen that before.
That transition effect for when they use the Time-Turner was perhaps the best theatrical special effect I have ever seen. The way it’s done is actually very simple but it’s amazingly effective.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
That transition effect for when they use the Time-Turner was perhaps the best theatrical special effect I have ever seen. The way it’s done is actually very simple but it’s amazingly effective.
What do they do? Any video of it or something similar?
Old 07-25-2019, 01:48 PM

That if you are familiar with the albums of Imogene Heap, you're going to hear a LOT of recycled melodies.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
What do they do? Any video of it or something similar?
A good explanation can be found here. They have videos of similar effects.

Basically,
SPOILER:
They have a projection of the clock, walls & columns on top of the actual clock, walls & columns, that is identical to the actual set, so when the effect happens, the projected image ripples and flexes and since you did not even know there was a projection there, it looks like the actual set is rippling. It's brilliantly done.