Old 07-19-2019, 03:40 AM

Cats Trailer out

Linky

Looks interesting. Might be a bit more Uncanny Valley than fur leotards are, for some people's taste.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:32 AM

I don't know who that Francesca Hayward girl is, but damn, she's making me rethink some fetishes...
Old 07-19-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
I don't know who that Francesca Hayward girl is
She's a principal with the Royal Ballet.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:58 AM

Apparently the trailer is generating memes about the terrifyingly uncanny-valleyness of it all:
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/07/19/mov...www.cnn.com%2F
Old 07-19-2019, 08:24 AM

I thought it was creepy at first but after watching it a few times, I'm over the initial "bwhaaaaa?" and am starting to think it looks good. As long as the actors who lack in the singing / dancing dept are given roles where they can bring their natural talents and the song and dance is left to the pros in that area, it could be very promising.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

It's perfectly fine. There are many issues with Cats as a musical -- a weak score and even weaker plot -- but how the hell could anyone one do any better? Part of the musical's success was in the costumes and choreography. If you had people dressing up in costumes these days it would look like a high school performance on the screen and everyone whining about it now would be whining even louder.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
It's perfectly fine.
I think it looks weird, but different strokes.
Quote:
If you had people dressing up in costumes these days it would look like a high school performance on the screen and everyone whining about it now would be whining even louder.
Well, maybe it didn't need to be done at all. I don't think anyone is "whining", more of an "lol nope". I'm sure someone out there is pearl clutching that they ruined their favorite musical but most people are just laughing and/or cringing.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Yeah, I really enjoy the Cats musical, it was the first Broadway show I ever saw, and I'm not one of those theater snobs who look down on it because it's popular. It's a fun piece of entertainment with some great songs.

My problem with the trailer is that the cat people just look fucking weird! There is something off about them, I don't know what it is. They look like naked humans with no genitals (but they do have human breasts) with tails that come out of their assholes.

They remind me of this.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:32 AM

I don't get the kerfuffle. (OK, I do really because you'll always find some vocal knob-heads to whinge about anything). It's Cats!, a musical about anthropomorphic cats. It is what the stage show was, what the hell are people expecting? Are they annoyed that there is singing in it as well?

It would be like complaining that "Saving Private Ryan" had too many soldiers in it.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:34 AM

I'll go see that
Old 07-19-2019, 10:38 AM

I have not seen the play but the actors look like pictures I've seen from the play. Maybe the people freaked out have not seen the play like me.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:42 AM

They don't look any more disturbing than "furries".

I saw the Broadway show, enjoyed it for what it was, and I look forward to the movie.
-IQ
Old 07-19-2019, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

My thoughts about a year ago when I saw Cats musical for the first time.

So, yes, this is an insane looking movie and it is kind of an insane musical. I did not like it.

I'm guessing half its audience will love it, the other half will be barfing in the theater.

Last edited by Mahaloth; 07-19-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:51 AM

"I loved the Cats trailer. It was better than Cats"
Old 07-19-2019, 10:55 AM

"I liked the trailer and don't understand the fuss." <---- (I have created a poll option for you)

Maybe they'll add a plot? It looks interesting, in any case. I might finally see Cats.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

It started out good but you do not belt out Memories at the top of your lungs.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:32 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
It's perfectly fine. There are many issues with Cats as a musical -- a weak score and even weaker plot -- but how the hell could anyone one do any better?
Maybe by not doing it at all?
Old 07-19-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
but how the hell could anyone one do any better?
This ↓ - real cats with human faces superimposed on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
They remind me of this.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:54 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Linky

Looks interesting. Might be a bit more Uncanny Valley than fur leotards are, for some people's taste.
It didn't look more "uncanny valley" to me than the average superhero movie. The faces look more more like the actors than say the Hulk or Thanos.

Singing, dancing cats are going to look weird no matter what you do.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They remind me of this.
Or Hermione when she uses polyjuice potion.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

The Funniest Tweets about the Cats Movie Trailer
Old 07-19-2019, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

I think it looks good. I hope this time it has a plot, a new script, and better songs.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
It started out good but you do not belt out Memories at the top of your lungs.
Elaine Page has pretty much ruined all other versions of “Memories” for me.

I had a “Whaaa....?” moment when I read that Taylor Swift had been cast as Bombalurina. She really doesn’t have the sultry sensuality the role requires. Nor the voice, in my opinion - there’s a YouTube channel that plays pop singers with all the backing music and Autotune stripped out, so that all you hear is the vocal feed. Taylor’s is kinda weak and reedy. (Ariana Grande, on the other hand, can belt it out.) I’d see Swift more as Jemima or maybe Rumpleteazer. Of course, until I just saw the trailer, I thought the film was merely another production of the musical; I didn’t realize it was a different story altogether. (Guessing from the trailer it’s a love story between Victoria and Mistofflees?)
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Old 07-19-2019, 05:05 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Actually, the intro is the best part of that:

Quote:
Making fun of Cats is the easiest thing in the world but it’s also truly impossible. Nobody can make fun of Cats because Cats is utterly impervious to everything. Never has humanity made something that’s so thoroughly unconcerned with whether anybody in the world actually asked for it or not. That confidence is so charming, so commanding, that it somehow made Cats one of the hugest musicals ever. Cats doesn’t care if we like it or not, and that’s why so many people love it.
Sort of like cats themselves.

Last edited by Colibri; 07-19-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I think it looks good. I hope this time it has a plot, a new script, and better songs.
Plot? New songs? Sounds like a recipe for messing with success.

And I'm still waiting for my Waste Land feature-film adaptation...
Old 07-19-2019, 06:33 PM

Musical feature, I mean:

♬ April is the cruellest month ♫
Old 07-19-2019, 07:02 PM

I guess this was predictable : one of the main stars is black but in the movie her fur is white, some twitter people are mad about that.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...111333065.html
Old 07-19-2019, 07:31 PM

Remember syncro-vox? This is syncro-face.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Opens against Star Wars: Episode IX.

Bold move, Cats. Bold move.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:47 AM

The stage version worked because it was only people dressed in a rough way to suggest cats, and you had to use your imagination.

The film version doesn't work because they tried too hard with CGI to make the actors look more like cats. They fell between the two stools of imagination and realism. It is a case of uncanny valley. It just looks wrong.

Also the cats look too small in proportion to the scenery. Have the designers never seen a cat in the house and compared the size of a cat to the size of the furniture?

I don't think anyone is ever going to improve on Elaine Paige singing Memories.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
The stage version worked because it was only people dressed in a rough way to suggest cats, and you had to use your imagination.
You do realize that your link is to the previous 1998 movie and not to the stage version, although to be fair they did stay fairly true to the stage version.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is ever going to improve on Elaine Paige singing Memories.
Elaine Page is great but I will always be team Betty Buckley, who is singing live, as opposed to Page who presumably had the option for multiple takes in the movie version you linked.

As for the new trailer, the CGI is a total fail. Unless they are all supposed to be sphinx cats, no real cats have fur that short. Adding a couple of inches would have helped greatly. The casting for this was great and judging from my own cats, the scale seems about right to me. I had high hopes but this looks like a total fail. It looks like to create a story, they are beefing up the role of Victoria/white cat and are going to tell the story from her perspective. Since this was a purely dancing role in the original, having her speak is definitely a change. That trailer does NOT make me want to see this, so a total fail on that account.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
You do realize that your link is to the previous 1998 movie and not to the stage version, although to be fair they did stay fairly true to the stage version.
It was basically the stage version filmed as a movie.

Sorry, but the Betty Buckley version of Memories leaves me cold.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:47 AM

Watching it again, I think what is really creeping me out is the faces. In prior versions, they made up the faces to look like cats using makeup to change the contours of their lips and cheeks to create the illusion of cat faces example. Here the faces are entirely human except for the absence of human ears and the addition of cat ears.

And we will have to agree to disagree on who sang Memory best. Can we agree that the trailer is hella weird, though?

Last edited by psychobunny; 07-20-2019 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Watching it again, I think what is really creeping me out is the faces. In prior versions, they made up the faces to look like cats using makeup to change the contours of their lips and cheeks to create the illusion of cat faces example. Here the faces are entirely human except for the absence of human ears and the addition of cat ears.

And we will have to agree to disagree on who sang Memory best. Can we agree that the trailer is hella weird, though?
I agree that the faces are the problem. Or a large part of it, anyway.

Looking again at the Betty Buckley video, it's clear that she's not a cat person. She does that pawing motion, but anyone who has a cat knows that they only do that when they are happy, not when they are unhappy. She also doesn't move like a cat. You may say that's beside the point, it's the singing that matters - but the singing also doesn't have the emotion and intensity that Elaine Paige puts into it.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:31 AM

Is this trailer supposed to get people who have never seen the play on stage before excited about this? Because it doesn't. I have no idea of who any of the characters are or what the plot is. This is a trailer and not a teaser, right?
Old 07-20-2019, 07:42 AM

I think the issue is that they're layering too many things together, poorly. They're taking footage that may be of a live set or CGI location, putting CGI and/or very limber people into it via greenscreen, then putting the faces of famous people on them.

If you're very very careful, you might get those to all blend together correctly but the human eye is very good at sensing when something is amiss even if the brain can be poor at figuring out exactly what is so 'uncanny valley' about the image. If you have a celebrity's face just 1% off rotation from the body that you're putting it on, it looks wrong. In a still photo, it might not matter, but in motion you'll clearly get the sense that there's something not quite right about it all. And it can be, similarly, messed up by differences in lighting, differences in the zoom level of the camera (or view frustum), difference in image crispness and focus, etc.

You get that sort of layering issue when you put the face on the body and when you put the body into a background, if it wasn't rendered as part of the same CGI scene.

In addition to layering, there's also (I'm pretty sure) some CGI bodies in there and that gives you the same sort of thing as when you're watching a superhero movie and suddenly the action sequence starts and all of the character's joints and bones seem to take on a slightly rubbery flexibility and you know that you're in CGI land.

Even if you get the face perfectly aligned and all the lighting and everything else, gluing a photographic and obviously real face onto a rubber, CGI body also adds uncanny valley.

All that said, the effect wasn't so extreme as to put me off. I think they would have done better to have gone full-practical or full-Avatar, but I don't have the feeling like the sort of person who likes Cats is the sort of person who cares too much that he's watching a film that looks like a bad photomanipulation romance novel cover in motion so, practically speaking, I guess it doesn't matter too much.

For me, the reason not to go, is that Cats just isn't very good. :P
Old 07-20-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueInfinity View Post
Is this trailer supposed to get people who have never seen the play on stage before excited about this? Because it doesn't. I have no idea of who any of the characters are or what the plot is. This is a trailer and not a teaser, right?
The musical is a bunch of people roller skating around singing knock-off 70s songs. The trailer represents the show perfectly, in terms of giving you an idea of who the characters are and what the plot is and, I should note, I don't say that to mock the show. I didn't care for it but even someone who does will tell you that it's just people dancing and singing in cat outfits. Any minimal plot there might be is ancillary and immediately forgotten after leaving the theater.

But if you enjoyed the trailer despite it all being meaningless, you'll probably love the movie. It is almost certainly, literally, just more of that.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 07-20-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Okay. You can hate Andrew Lloyd Webber, his shows and his music all you want. But you cannot argue with success.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I don't have the feeling like the sort of person who likes Cats is the sort of person who cares too much that he's watching a film that looks like a bad photomanipulation romance novel cover in motion so, practically speaking, I guess it doesn't matter too much.
Well, you're wrong about that. The people objecting most to the trailer are the people who know and love the show.

Maybe you don't get what it's about, but that's no reason to sneer.

To enjoy it you have to:
a) know cats
b) read T.S. Eliot's poems.
Eliot was a highly renowned serious poet, but he wrote these light and whimsical poems for his godchildren, about cats with different characters.

Anybody who lived with cats will recognise and nod knowingly at
The Rum Tum Tugger is a terrible bore:
When you let him in, then he wants to be out;
He's always on the wrong side of every door,
And as soon as he's at home, then he'd like to get about.
Every cat person knows what's meant by Macavity the Mystery Cat never being around after a crime has been committed.

Andrew Lloyd Webber simply set the poems to music, dancing and staging was added, with some flimsy excuse for a plot to tie it together, and that's that. The plot is not the point.

FAQ about Cats
Old 07-20-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
The musical is a bunch of people roller skating around singing knock-off 70s songs.
Are you confusing Cats with Starlight Express? No one roller skates in Cats. And the songs don’t sound like “70s knock-offs” either.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Okay. You can hate Andrew Lloyd Webber, his shows and his music all you want. But you cannot argue with success.
I like The Phantom.

Given how different they are, I'm actually quite impressed. He had clearly different goals and approaches to both shows and made things that are very good renditions within those spaces.

The Cats space doesn't appeal to me, but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize that it's a solid version of what it is.

If the same person had written both Twilight and Fight Club, I'd be willing to call them a genius. But I'd only read one of the two.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Elaine Page is great but I will always be team Betty Buckley, who is singing live, as opposed to Page who presumably had the option for multiple takes in the movie version you linked.

As for the new trailer, the CGI is a total fail. Unless they are all supposed to be sphinx cats, no real cats have fur that short. Adding a couple of inches would have helped greatly. The casting for this was great and judging from my own cats, the scale seems about right to me. I had high hopes but this looks like a total fail. It looks like to create a story, they are beefing up the role of Victoria/white cat and are going to tell the story from her perspective. Since this was a purely dancing role in the original, having her speak is definitely a change. That trailer does NOT make me want to see this, so a total fail on that account.
Elaine Paige was the original Grizabella when Cats opened in London; she reprised the role for the 1998 movie. Betty Buckley can sing “Memories”, but it belongs to Dame Elaine.
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Old 07-20-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Are you confusing Cats with Starlight Express? No one roller skates in Cats. And the songs don’t sound like “70s knock-offs” either.
Hm. I've definitely seen the musical. And I definitely haven't seen Starlight.

If it's a false memory, I don't know where it came from since it doesn't look like there are any other roller skating musicals.

I feel like, when I watched it, it was a small venue (maybe a traveling production or a local production?) Possibly they did something weird?

But I do feel safe on the 70s description:

https://youtu.be/ywFbpDjpZno
Old 07-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Elaine Paige was the original Grizabella when Cats opened in London; she reprised the role for the 1998 movie. Betty Buckley can sing “Memories”, but it belongs to Dame Elaine.
The title of the song is MEMORY. A Streisand bio I read referred to Elaine Paige's cover of the song hitting the British charts.

Get your facts right, dammit.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:33 AM

How small or big are the cats in the trailer supposed to be? (I see comments above about inconsistent dimensions but couldn't really tell from the clips.) A real cat standing on two legs should be able to reach up and grab the doorknob or thereabouts.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
(I see comments above about inconsistent dimensions but couldn't really tell from the clips.)
You can tell the problem with size from the trailer. It struck me immediately the first time I saw it.

See the pics on this tweet.

There are other shots where a cat on a bed looks out of proportion, and a cat's head is smaller than a light bulb.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:09 PM

I know almost nothing about Cats but from the race kerfuffle I know the white cat in the screen shots is supposed to be a kitten, not full grown.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
I know almost nothing about Cats but from the race kerfuffle I know the white cat in the screen shots is supposed to be a kitten, not full grown.
I misremember where I came across it (may have been in the DVD extras for the 1998 adaptation), but I do recall that Victoria was very young — just a bit older than a kitten — and that she was attending her first Jellicle Ball.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
But in the trailer she's the same size as all the other cats.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:27 PM

Even Furries Think The "Cats" Trailer Looks Bad