Old 07-19-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

I will never understand the popularity of Blue Moon beer

Iíve very active on Instagram and so many friends are posting pictures of their summer. I keep seeing everyone with a ubiquitous bottle of Blue Moon.

Why? Is it just beer for people that donít like beer? Iíve had it once and it was horrid. Iíd rather drink a PBR and we donít want to talk about what happened the last time I drank PBR but it wasnít pretty.

Just donít get the appeal, itís not cheap, so thatís not why people buy it.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:08 PM

It's not a bad beer, per se. But I'll never order one. And I'd certainly never put fruit in any beer.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:16 PM

It used to be a small brewery. Now it is owned by MillerCoors, which is owned by MolsonCoors, the world's 7th largest brewing company.

Blue Moon is the #19 beer in the USA, ahead of Dos Equis and behind Yuengling.

So maybe your friends just like it and are showing their other friends that like it that they're drinking it too.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

I think it's kind of fun to get a Blue Moon draft with an orange slice, once in a while. If you don't like it, you don't have to have it.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Also, the quality of beer and beer flavor varies from region to region.

I first had blue moon beer in Oklahoma City a few years back, and it was good enough for me to buy some when I got home. Blue Moon beer in Boise ID is watered down piss.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

If I'm in the mood for that type of beer, I prefer a Hoegaarden -- while it's Belgian, it's nothing fancy, just a middle-of-the-road Belgian white ale. Blue Moon always tasted a bit "off" to me, but that may be because my introduction to that style was Hoegaarden, so that's my baseline. (Wow. Just checked the prices. A six pack of Blue Moon is $9.99 here? A sixer of Hooagarden is just a buck more, but it's 11.2 oz [330 mL] instead of 12 oz. Still, I'd rather pay the buck and have a little less beer, because it's much tastier to me.)
Old 07-19-2019, 07:12 PM

If I were visiting someone, and that was all that was in the refrigerator, I'd take one. I don't consider it horrible, but it's probably at the bottom of the barrel for wheat beers.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:19 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

If I'm going to drink a Belgian-style beer in the summer, it's going to be Duvel. Blue Moon is donkey-piss.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:08 PM

It’s a great summer beer especially if you squeeze the orange in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Years ago I worked at a restaurant, and a cook off-handedly mentioned that raw egg whites smelled like wet dog, and now I can't un-smell that. I thought those two things were the only things in the world that smelled that way, until I tried Blue Moon beer.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:19 PM
Chicago Savant

Some of us really don't like the bitter finish of hoppy beers, and often the only nonhoppy one available, especially on tap, is Blue Moon. Microbreweries especially seem to think that the more IBUs the better. Thank heavens for the increasing popularity of ciders for fall and winter, but on a hot summer evening I like a beer—even if all you macho manly men don't think it qualifies.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:21 AM

Smells and tastes like hand lotion. Hard pass.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-man View Post
If I were visiting someone, and that was all that was in the refrigerator, I'd take one. I don't consider it horrible, but it's probably at the bottom of the barrel for wheat beers.
A couple of years ago a few friends and I visited another friend for a mountain biking trip. Of course we brought plenty of beer, and our host had plenty of Blue Moon in the fridge. But when all we had left in the fridge was Blue Moon we considered ourselves out of beer and a beer run was in order. So yeah, I won't even drink one to be gracious.

Last edited by Dag Otto; 07-20-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Thank heavens for the increasing popularity of ciders for fall and winter, but on a hot summer evening I like a beeróeven if all you macho manly men don't think it qualifies.
I have no patience with beer machismo, but just liking bitters doesn't slot a person into that category, nor does disliking the beer you like. That's some high-grade silliness right there. Give me a Corona, a Dos Equis, even a Heineken, and I'll be fine.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:17 AM

Whatís not to understand? Itís popular because people like it. Including me.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:49 AM

I don't like it but I have had both a Blue Moon & a PBR within the last 2 years and while neither is to my taste, the PBR was really bad, like Miller bad. But people have wildly varying tastes so no surprise in a world where Coors Light is popular that Blue Moon is considered tasty to a lot of people.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:35 AM

Snobbery is the norm in the micro-brew crowd. There's the irrational belief that excellent beer can only come from obscure, back-alley breweries where it's brewed in small batches by bearded Millennials or Trappist monks.

Truth is, some micro-brews are nasty. And some beers that have large-scale distribution are surprisingly good. I would include Blue Moon in the latter category. If it were bottled in a 22 ounce bottle with a paper label of an obscure brewery located in the Yukon mountains, the micro-brew crowd would heap endless praise on it.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
Truth is, some micro-brews are nasty. And some beers that have large-scale distribution are surprisingly good.
I mostly agree, except that obviously any taste is a matter of taste. I'd say, "I think some micro-brews are nasty, and I find some large-scale-distribution beers surprisingly good."

New Belgium just opened a brewery in my town. I can't stand their stuff. Wicked Weed is based in my town, and their offerings lean heavy into the "double stuff Oreo Porter" category, which, gross. Blue Moon tastes like stale eggs to me.

But plenty of other beers of all categories are just lovely.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

I like it well enough. It's my go-to at BW3s with wings.

Years ago during the late 90s when it wasn't available here, a friend scored a keg and threw a party around Blue Moon. Then, he abruptly had to reschedule the party for a week later since whoever was bringing the keg from Colorado had a problem getting to Chicago on time.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:13 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post

Truth is, some micro-brews are nasty.
The phrase you are looking for is "most micro-brews are nasty." Sturgeon's Law is a harsh BJCP judge. Still doesn't change the fact that Blue Moon is donkey-piss.

Like LHoD, I can't stand New Belgium brewing products. People kept raving about Fat Tire, which to me tastes even worse than donkey-piss.

Last edited by silenus; 07-20-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:24 AM

"Why do people enjoy this thing that I don't enjoy? What's wrong with them!?"
Old 07-20-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post
"Why do people enjoy this thing that I don't enjoy? What's wrong with them!?"
Probably a good 10% of threads & posts on message boards and Facebook.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Probably a good 10% of threads & posts on message boards and Facebook.
Yeah, and I will never understand the popularity of those threads and posts!

Old 07-20-2019, 10:39 AM

I, and a lot of women I know, like Blue Moon. Is that it? Anything women prefer to what a man prefers is garbage?
Old 07-20-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I, and a lot of women I know, like Blue Moon. Is that it? Anything women prefer to what a man prefers is garbage?
Oh for fuck's sake.

Edit: you know what, that's not fair. It's true that I've been secretly monitoring your beer preferences as well as that of all the women you know. When I saw Sheila drinking Blue Moon and entered that on my spreadsheet, that put the "Women like it" value juuuust high enough that it triggered my "Declare I don't like it" algorithm.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 07-20-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:30 PM

I like it. Blue moon is tasty is light and summery tasting.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
If I'm in the mood for that type of beer, I prefer a Hoegaarden -- while it's Belgian, it's nothing fancy, just a middle-of-the-road Belgian white ale.
I like both Hoegaarden and Blue Moon. I like most beers. Exceptions are usually either quite extreme micro-brews* or watery mass market light beers. I like regular Bud, that's probably my single most common beer purchase. But I buy a variety of other stuff if I feel like it. Price has some impact, like I'm gradually working through a 24 pack of Blue Moon that was quite cheap at the Costco-affiliated liquor store, but it's not a huge impact.

I don't swear I could tell the difference blindfolded between fairly similar beers I think are a little different.

In general some people might be 'pretentious' in their beer and other consumer purchase choices, but some other people are definitely too worried about who else is 'pretentious'.

*I recently tried a micro-brew rye beer from a local store with big selection, a four pack, drank one bottle and threw out the other three. I wasn't even going to offer it to anyone else. But that's rare for me.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

I’m the OP and I find it extra funny that I’m getting ads for Blue Moon on Instagram today. I know it’s a summer Saturday and thus beer ads will dominate, I don’t think Instagram is tracking the SDMB, however.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:08 PM

I like Blue Moon. It and Killian's were my two go to beers in college and Coors use to combine the two of them in what they called a harvest moon that was also quite tasty. I haven't had one in several years but I wouldn't turn one down. I also love most New Belgium beers and Fat Tire was my first beer love though it was better before they started distributing with Coors.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Hell, I even like the occasional Leinenkugel sumer shandy. I’ve fathered children, I’ve cut down trees, and I’ve built things - as such I’m sufficiently confident in my masculinity that I don’t have to pose by pretending double IPAs and like bitter dregs are pleasurable to drink.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

I'm a homebrewer. Most American hops to my taste buds are described as "catty" or "skunked." Therefore, 90% of American micro-brews to me range from "I can drink it if it's really cold" to "nasty". American IPA's almost all fall into this category for me.

English flavoring hops, especially East Kent Goldings, I like. Tettnanger and Northern Brewer are also good. In fact, I'm growing EKG, N Brewer and Tettanger, and should be ready to make some fresh hop harvest ales in about a month. Since I brew my own, I've made some serious hop bomb ales with the hops I like, and I find them mighty tasty. But if you load up with Cascade or the new American varietals, it just tastes skunked to me.

Anyhoo, I find Blue Moon pretty mediocre but not offensive. I keep it stocked for my wife, and every once in a blue moon when I'm out of my preference I will have one. Hoegaarden is far superior to my palate. Not a big fan of Fat Tire either, and have never done a blind taste off between the two, but I'm guessing I would prefer Fat Tire.

Anchor Steam, which I first had in 1980, remains my benchmark microbrew (at least in the Fritz Maytag days, and microbrew might not be the right description). Not saying Anchor Steam is the best beer out there, but a beer won't get on my radar unless it can hold up against an Anchor Steam. YMMV.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
My gf likes a Blue Moon on occasion, I usually eat her orange. She likes wheat beers. I like really nasty NE style hazy IPAs, the bitterer the better. I also like sour beers that make you choke.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:09 AM

I like Blue Moon fine. But I like most beers.

I used to enjoy a nice IPA until the brewers started out hopping each other. Sheeesss. You think that's a hoppy beer, wait until you try THIS! It's so good you can't drink it!

Heh. Was at an airport bar with my Wife once and after a few beers, decided to try something different. Got an Angry Orchard. Thought it was a beer, not a cider. Didn't know anything about it (it was new at the time). Now that was a surprise, and not in a good way.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Hell, I even like the occasional Leinenkugel sumer shandy. I’ve fathered children, I’ve cut down trees, and I’ve built things - as such I’m sufficiently confident in my masculinity that I don’t have to pose by pretending double IPAs and like bitter dregs are pleasurable to drink.
I've never thought of IPAs and the such as "manly" beers. When I think "manly" beer, I think Old Style, Schlitz, Coors, you know, that rugged, American, blue-collar drink, not the namby pamby stuff hipsters quaff.

(I drink it all. My main quasi-daily drinker is either Old Style or whatever Polish lager is on sale [Zywiec, Okocim, Tyskie, Łomza, etc.] I don't find it all that difficult to find non-APAs and non-IPAs at stores and bars. They still do take up the majority of taps in most places, but I don't have trouble finding alternatives if I'm not in an APA/IPA mood. I feel we reached peak hops about five or six years ago, if not longer ago. Sours have been the trend the last three or four years, but they've gotten into the "sour wars" as well, so much so that I actually do find some sours undrinkable. I loved the style when all you could do is get three or four sours at the beer store, and they were all from Belgium. Some of them were funky sour and real over-the-top, but the American sours have gone way beyond something like a Hannsens Oude Gueuze--my sour of choice fifteen years ago -- or an elegant Cantillon.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-21-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:42 AM

IPAs, at least where they range into the race to the hops is similar to the ghost peppers and hotter macho stuff. But overall, most IPA drinkers are that oddish subset.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:57 PM

I'll drink it if somebody's buying. But that goes for pretty much any beer.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
IPAs, at least where they range into the race to the hops is similar to the ghost peppers and hotter macho stuff. But overall, most IPA drinkers are that oddish subset.
Yup. My favorite beer for a long time was a local IPA that was really floral. It was a great contrast to a really gooey slice of pizza. I'm not real pleased with the idea among brewers that their IPA is their place to show off exactly how bitter they can make something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
My gf likes a Blue Moon on occasion, I usually eat her orange. She likes wheat beers. I like really nasty NE style hazy IPAs, the bitterer the better. I also like sour beers that make you choke.
Wheat beers are a mixed bag IMO. Widmer's Hefeweizen was my gateway beer. It's not sold around here, but on the rare occasions I can get one it takes me straight back to my college days. Other American wheats I've had can be pretty tasty. Belgian wheats ain't my bag, though.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Yup. My favorite beer for a long time was a local IPA that was really floral. It was a great contrast to a really gooey slice of pizza. I'm not real pleased with the idea among brewers that their IPA is their place to show off exactly how bitter they can make something.
Oddly enough, what really got me seriously into beer was tasting my first Imperial IPA c. 2004 or 2005. I mean, I was into beer then, but my cousin ordered a bottle of Three Floyd's Dreadnaught just because it was the priciest beer at the bar. I thought he was nuts, but that first smell of the mix of citrus and floral hops was just intoxicating. I had no idea beer could be like this. Never has the smell of beer enticed me like that. And the flavor: boozy, but balanced, sweet and bitter and citrussy. It was just delicious. One of those turning point moments of culinary experiences and a moment I clearly remember to this day.

I've honestly never had a Dreadnaught as good as that first one--perhaps it was the originality of the experience that had a lot to do with it -- I simply had no reference point for that style of beer, and that first taste was like tasting the best beer ever made for me.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:34 PM

Now what surprises me, is I was just in a liquor store the Blue Moon was $9.99 for a six pack, more then many more premium beers. Same store had Bass & Smithwicks for $8.99.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:02 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I like it.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now what surprises me, is I was just in a liquor store the Blue Moon was $9.99 for a six pack, more then many more premium beers. Same store had Bass & Smithwicks for $8.99.
Yeah, $9.99 is pretty much standard craft beer pricing around here. That seems about two bucks too much for something like Blue Moon to me. But, hey, if that price point sells, who am I to say anything.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

My husband likes it, but he doesn't want the orange slice in it.

Last edited by Dolores Reborn; 07-22-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
It used to be a small brewery. Now it is owned by MillerCoors, which is owned by MolsonCoors, the world's 7th largest brewing company.
Technically, it was always owned by MillerCoors.

Blue Moon was created by a man named Keith Villa, a brewer at The Sandlot, a MillerCoors-owned brewhouse inside Coors Field that opened in 1995. Mr. Villa and the other three guys that work there create and produce mostly one-off beers for consumption in the stadium.

Around that time MillerCoors was looking to break into the craft beer sector, so they essentially "called up" one of these guys' beers to the big leagues; at the time the beer they chose was called "Bellyslide Belgian White," but they changed the name to Blue Moon and created the "Blue Moon Brewing Company" and never placed any MillerCoors branding on the bottles, cans, or packaging, creating the illusion that this was a small independent brewery. They went to all of that effort, but they were found out almost immediately.

Despite the fact that everybody knows, for some reason they still maintain the fake "we're a craft brewery" story.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:07 PM

Dale (OP), what is to understand? What a person likes in beers is a personal choice/preference.Does it confuse you that some people like the Grateful Dead and some people loath them? Or some people Like Chevrolet's but hate Fords?

There should be no confusion about personal likes and dislikes...If everybody like the same thing this would be a VERY fucking boring world.

Me...I run the gamut on beers with the exception of very sour sours. Give me a double Hop Loaded IPA any day...but I can also quaff down an Imperial Stout or blue moon too!
Old 07-23-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Technically, it was always owned by MillerCoors.

Blue Moon was created by a man named Keith Villa, a brewer at The Sandlot, a MillerCoors-owned brewhouse inside Coors Field that opened in 1995. Mr. Villa and the other three guys that work there create and produce mostly one-off beers for consumption in the stadium.

Around that time MillerCoors was looking to break into the craft beer sector, so they essentially "called up" one of these guys' beers to the big leagues; at the time the beer they chose was called "Bellyslide Belgian White," but they changed the name to Blue Moon and created the "Blue Moon Brewing Company" and never placed any MillerCoors branding on the bottles, cans, or packaging, creating the illusion that this was a small independent brewery. They went to all of that effort, but they were found out almost immediately.

Despite the fact that everybody knows, for some reason they still maintain the fake "we're a craft brewery" story.
You mention "MillerCoors" over & over, but you must know that there was no such company back in 1995 when Blue Moon was first brewed, right?
Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 AM

I think it's popular because witbear / wheat beer is fairly palatable to non-beer drinkers and beer drinkers alike. It often has more flavor and less aftertaste than a lager, and it's less bitter than IPAs. It's not going to put you on your ass like an imperial stout. I don't think it's necessarily that Blue Moon per se is a great beer, but when you put Blue Moon up against Budweiser, Coors, Miller, Tecate, and 9% IPA or Stout that's going to make it difficult to walk, much less safe to drive, Blue Moon wins.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
You mention "MillerCoors" over & over, but you must know that there was no such company back in 1995 when Blue Moon was first brewed, right?
I'm aware. But that's what the company is now. Whatever it was called, the point is, Blue Moon was never an independent craft brewery, they were always owned by one of the "big guys."
Old 07-23-2019, 08:16 AM

IMO, Blue Moon is kind of in the beer uncanny valley. What I mean by that is that it's noticeably more flavorful than most large-manufacturer light lagers, but it's still a large-manufacturer product. So it's kind of neither fish nor fowl, in the sense that it's a great product for one of the mega-brewers- flavorful, within the accepted style, etc...

But as far as the vast run of Belgian witbiers go, it's a mediocre at best rendition of the style. Take a Blue Moon and compare it with say... Hoegaarden, Celis White, Ommegang Wittel or Harpoon UFO, and the differences are obvious.

Personally I haven't figured out where it fits into my beer drinking world- if I'm wanting refreshing, I'll probably go for a different wit or a light lager of some kind. If I'm wanting flavorful, it's probably a pale ale/IPA or maybe a good Bohemian Pilsner.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:33 AM

I adore Blue Moon and I'll venture to say I've consumed more beer than most anyone on this board.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Yes.