Old 01-23-2019, 11:11 AM

Mass illness/poisoning affecting entire team before game

Say every single Rams player comes down with mysterious poisoning that leaves them bedridden before the Super Bowl against the Patriots (foul play is suspected.) Would the NFL postpone the Super Bowl (which would cause an enormous logistics kerfuffle) or just award the forfeit victory to New England?

If it were just Goff or Gurley ill, then no doubt the game would proceed, but what if half or the entire Rams roster? And does it make a difference if it's foul play vs. natural foodborne illness or something natural?
Old 01-23-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Why wouldn't they just substitute another team? Probably the team the Rams beat to get to the final, assuming it's a knock-out.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Why wouldn't they just substitute another team? Probably the team the Rams beat to get to the final, assuming it's a knock-out.
Not sure if you are in jest, but the Rams earned the right to play in the Super Bowl by winning their conference championship. It wouldn't make any sense to have the Saints play in it.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:29 AM

Forfeiture is a loss.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
And does it make a difference if it's foul play vs. natural foodborne illness or something natural?
If it's foul play the league commissioner can invoke special powers and reschedule.

Rule 17, Section 2, Article 1
Quote:
The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.
If needed, the game could be rescheduled, or forfeited by the team that poisoned the other team. If the foul play was by a 3rd party, the game could be rescheduled. Note that rescheduling a Super Bowl would be complete mess and cost a fortune, but it could be done. I don't think any of that would happen if it were natural food poisoning.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:03 AM

This is interesting in that moments before the Copa Liberatores final in Buenos Aires between Boca Juniors and River Plate was called when fans threw bottles at the Boca bus on their way to the stadium, several Boca players suffered injuries and the match was eventually re-scheduled in Spain.

About 13 years ago Tottenham was involved in just this same situation: GOOGLE "Tottenham food poisoning" of the story!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2019, 03:04 AM

Mass illness/poisoning affecting entire team before game

Xx

Last edited by russian heel; 01-29-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:20 AM

It has long been rumoured that the South Africans slipped the Kiwi players something before their 1995 Rugby WC Final.
Its all but confirmed that Diego Maradons'a Argentina handed the Brazilian GK a spiked drink in a break during their 1990 WC R16 game.

In the OP senario, the opposing team would no doubt get some scrutiny. I know little about American Football, but didn't the Patriots get caught messing with the ball pressure a few years ago?
Old 01-29-2019, 04:51 AM

Velocity, you're basically verbalizing my wishes for the Pats team last Super Bowl to help us Eagles out. (Fortunately, we didn't need it. ) You're also being paranoid, if you're a Rams person.

I've wished for the flu, crabs, rashes, maybe a dose of flea powder like in a Brady Bunch episode, for many teams that play against my faves.

Maybe a spell that makes everyone on the Pats fall down on every one of their third downs. I'll settle for that. Nothing major or career ending for anyone, just for one silly game. Hey, they'd all have laughs in the NFL Nursing Center for Retired Players in a few years. Collinsworth would never stop talking about that during shuffleboard.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
In the OP senario, the opposing team would no doubt get some scrutiny. I know little about American Football, but didn't the Patriots get caught messing with the ball pressure a few years ago?
They were accused of it, but the science shows that the change in ball pressure confirmed to normal environmental factors and didn’t require any shenanigans on the part of New England.

Plus even what they were accused of wouldn’t affect the opposing players, it was tampering with equipment. It’s like a bowler in cricket putting lip balm on the ball or just scuffing it up.

Last edited by Atamasama; 01-29-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:11 AM

If 80% of one of the Super Bowl teams showed up in the ER the morning of the game, spewing from both ends and obviously unable to play, I'm utterly certain the NFL would wind up rescheduling the game. Yes, it would be an complete mess, but not nearly the mess of calling a forfeit because they couldn't field a team. Note that there has never been a forfeit in the entire history of the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
They were accused of it, but the science shows that the change in ball pressure confirmed to normal environmental factors and didnít require any shenanigans on the part of New England.

Plus even what they were accused of wouldnít affect the opposing players, it was tampering with equipment. Itís like a bowler in cricket putting lip balm on the ball or just scuffing it up.
Putting the science aside (and please, please don't restart that debate here), the NFL ruled it was "more probable than not" that the balls had been tampered with, fined the Patriots $1,000,000 and 2 draft picks, and suspended QB Tom Brady for 4 games.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Putting the science aside (and please, please don't restart that debate here), the NFL ruled it was "more probable than not" that the balls had been tampered with, fined the Patriots $1,000,000 and 2 draft picks, and suspended QB Tom Brady for 4 games.
And then decided not to implement any procedures to test the air pressure in the balls going forward.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

We now know the actual answer is: run the dress rehearsal.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I think New England would refuse the forfeiture and ask for a reschedule because
1. It would be hella good PR and
2. No one wants a "*" after their name in the annals of history.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
If 80% of one of the Super Bowl teams showed up in the ER the morning of the game, spewing from both ends and obviously unable to play, I'm utterly certain the NFL would wind up rescheduling the game. Yes, it would be an complete mess, but not nearly the mess of calling a forfeit because they couldn't field a team. Note that there has never been a forfeit in the entire history of the NFL.
Agreed. And although it's unprecedented in the NFL, rescheduling a championship game due to "acts of God" has certainly happened in other sports (1989 World Series).
Old 01-30-2019, 03:02 AM

What prompted my thread was reading about how the Giants were in Indianapolis for SB46 against the Patriots, but ordered pizza nonetheless from their favorite pizzeria in New York City. The Giants had the pizzeria box up the pizza, fly it to Indianapolis, and then ate it.

I couldn't help but wonder about potential food poisoning, since that pizza must have been at room temperature for 4-5 hours or more while traveling. And presumably every Giant that consumed it would have come down with it (had it gone foul.)

Last edited by Velocity; 01-30-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
(had it gone foul.)
Personal foul: roughing the intestines.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I couldn't help but wonder about potential food poisoning, since that pizza must have been at room temperature for 4-5 hours or more while traveling. And presumably every Giant that consumed it would have come down with it (had it gone foul.)
4-5 hours? Pfffff. My brother in law keeps leftover pizza sitting on the counter for days until he gets around to finishing it.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Closest thing was in the deciding game of the 1919 Stanley Cup, where both teams came down with the Spanish Flu. When one of the players died, it was decided not to reschedule and a winner wasn't declared.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:03 PM

The entire country affected

Similar to the above, the 2019 Serie del Caribe will be moved from Venezuela to Panama, due to political turmoil (info here). If there won't be a 6 team series, then there will be a 5 team series without Venezuela.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Agreed. And although it's unprecedented in the NFL, rescheduling a championship game due to "acts of God" has certainly happened in other sports (1989 World Series).
There was also a rescheduling in the NHL, although not for such dramatic reasons: During the Stanley Cup finals in 1988 -- there was a power outage at Boston Garden during Game 4.

(I don't know if it counts as a reschedule though, since they just moved it to the date when Game might have been)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 01-30-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
I remember when the 2014 Superbowl was set for the remodeled Giants open-air stadium in New Jersey hoping for a massive blizzard that day. It was stupid scheduling in my opinion. The NFL deserved to have all the problems that could easily have arisen.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:58 PM

In 1997, Premier league club Middlesborough called off their game against Blackburn due to 23 out of their 40 man squad being too ill to play. They had 17 players available, but the nature of those squads were such that those 17 players were not really PL quality by any measure.

The problem was, teams cannot call off their games without permission from the Premier league. Middlesborough were fined and deducted 3 points. They ended the season in the relegation spots, only 2 points from safety. Had they fielded a team of kids and got a hammering they would still have been better off come the end of the season.

Tottenham Hotspur faced a similar situation in 2006, they only needed to match a rivals result to ensure a rare qualification for the champions league , but the night before 10+ first team players came down with food poisoning. They asked the league about a postponement but were told no, played the game despite visibly being off the pace, dropped points and lost their opportunity to compete in the champions league.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Quote:
Not sure if you are in jest, but the Rams earned the right to play in the Super Bowl by winning their conference championship. It wouldn't make any sense to have the Saints play in it.
I'm not sure if Quartz is aware of the controversy surrounding the NFC Championship game, but I think it's ironic that this is the example used, given that many people believe the Rams did not earn that right due to the blown call at the end of that game
Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
There was also a rescheduling in the NHL, although not for such dramatic reasons: During the Stanley Cup finals in 1988 -- there was a power outage at Boston Garden during Game 4.
That was after a number of stoppages to try to clear the fog from the ice by having players skate around. The day was unusually warm, the inside temperature in the building was up to 80 degrees, and the old Garden was not air-conditioned. Since the score was tied, nobody felt guilty about cancelling it entirely.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
In 1997, Premier league club Middlesborough called off their game against Blackburn due to 23 out of their 40 man squad being too ill to play. They had 17 players available, but the nature of those squads were such that those 17 players were not really PL quality by any measure.

The problem was, teams cannot call off their games without permission from the Premier league. Middlesborough were fined and deducted 3 points. They ended the season in the relegation spots, only 2 points from safety. Had they fielded a team of kids and got a hammering they would still have been better off come the end of the season.
This is true if they ended up losing the rearranged game with Blackburn, anyway. If they beat Blackburn, they would have had the same points but a better goal difference. Either way, they were still getting relegated unless they found another couple of points from somewhere else (or if the league had agreed to the postponement in advance and not docked them points).
Old 01-31-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
I remember when the 2014 Superbowl was set for the remodeled Giants open-air stadium in New Jersey hoping for a massive blizzard that day. It was stupid scheduling in my opinion. The NFL deserved to have all the problems that could easily have arisen.
they had a plan to move the game to a later date if there was a snowstorm. In fact there was snow the next day but not a lot.

also the stadium was fairly new, it was not an upgrade of the old giants stadium.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 01-31-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
they had a plan to move the game to a later date if there was a snowstorm.
Even that would have caused all kinds of problems at least for the fans with the tickets. I still say scheduling the Super Bowl for an outside stadium in NJ in February is taking
a huge risk and a stupid decision.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Even that would have caused all kinds of problems at least for the fans with the tickets. I still say scheduling the Super Bowl for an outside stadium in NJ in February is taking
a huge risk and a stupid decision.
Football can be played in the snow just fine. I see nothing wrong with a snowy Superbowl.