Old 01-25-2019, 11:49 AM

Anyone play the Epic Card game?

Epic is like Magic the Gathering (almost literally, nearly every mechanic is a renamed Magic mechanic) except:

Spells either cost 1 or zero.
They are extremely powerful
You get the entire game in the box.

I bought it on a whim because it was $13 but I was wondering if anyone else played it.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:27 AM

So I finally had a chance to play this and I recommend it. It's fun. The cards are swingy and powerful and when you read them you think almost every one is broken but in practice the game is pretty well balanced. We played by drawing two 30 card random decks out of the 120 cards and I think that worked fine. Crafting a contracted deck would probably be broken.

If you are familiar with Magic the game is really easy to pick up since most of the card abilities are renamed Magic abilities but even without that it feels like it could be easy to grasp. If you are looking for a card combat game that doesn't break the bank I would suggest trying it.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:33 AM

I haven't played it, but wanted to keep an eye on this thread since I'm interested in it. I played a lot of MtG waaaaay back in the day, and tried to get back in to it but felt lost in the sea of cards. I thought this might scratch the itch and be something quick to play with my wife or 14 y/o.

Soooo...bump?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
I haven't played it, but wanted to keep an eye on this thread since I'm interested in it. I played a lot of MtG waaaaay back in the day, and tried to get back in to it but felt lost in the sea of cards. I thought this might scratch the itch and be something quick to play with my wife or 14 y/o.

Soooo...bump?
It looks like no one else is playing but I would recommend it. You can get the entire game for under $15 so even if it ends up being not your taste it wasn't a huge investment. If you liked Magic I would guess you would like this as well. The main downside is there are a lot of keyword mechanics so you may find yourself flipping through the rule book often as people play cards but it wasn't a huge problem.

There are multiple ways to play but the way we did it was just shuffle the entire set of cards and deal out two 30 card decks. It worked out well.

Last edited by Quimby; 02-06-2019 at 11:51 PM.