Old 12-13-2018, 03:43 PM

After losing three of four, the Raps rebound with back-to-back road wins against the hot Clippers and Golden State. The latter game had Curry go 2 for 8 and Thompson 0 for 5, which was on obvious help, but winning by 20 - convincing enough. It must be nice for Draymond to have apparent immunity from calls - including absolutely flagrantly as fuck fouling Wright, and then two minutes later sending Vallincuinas out of the game for whacking his thumb, again without a call, among other let-offs.
Coach Nurse, after the game, immediately went to Iowa for his mom's funeral - kinda heavy, near the end of the game, seeing him on the bench, looking down, wiping his eyes.

ETA: NN was the last of 11 kids!

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 12-13-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:25 PM

Toronto is 7-1 without Leonard in the line-up, which I hope bodes well for the play-offs. (He rested against GS last night) (And, to be fair to Oakland, Iguodala didn't play)
Actually - those were just 3-point stats, in my previous post: Curry went 3 for 12 and Thompson - don't know. Lowry picked up his 100th double-double and didn't suck. Too bad they're meeting only twice this season - doesn't sound as good when saying they did a series sweep. Heh - first time TO won there since 2004, and went 4-0 in California this season for the first time in franchise history.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:35 PM

Damn - missed edit wiindow, so apologies for multi-posting.

Just found out Vallicuinas will undergo surgery on a dislocated thumb and out for four weeks.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Toronto is 7-1 without Leonard in the line-up, which I hope bodes well for the play-offs. (He rested against GS last night) (And, to be fair to Oakland, Iguodala didn't play)
Actually - those were just 3-point stats, in my previous post: Curry went 3 for 12 and Thompson - don't know. Lowry picked up his 100th double-double and didn't suck. Too bad they're meeting only twice this season - doesn't sound as good when saying they did a series sweep. Heh - first time TO won there since 2004, and went 4-0 in California this season for the first time in franchise history.
The Blazers meet Toronto tomorrow, so the Raptors can rest the entire team and just send in one or two players. After a brilliant start against Houston, the Blazers just fell asleep in the second half and let the Rockets walk away from them. I think they're now 9th place in the west, with their bench going from excellent to utter shite in the last half dozen games.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Charter Jays Fan

I don't think I'd ascribe much significance to the Leonard-free record; it's a small data set. The victory in Oakland was impressive as hell, but it's one game.

The Raptors absolutely can win the championship. I am not saying they will, and if offered an even money bet on a Raptors-Warriors finals I will put my money on the Warriors, but this is, honestly, the first Raptors team in franchise history that has a measurable chance of winning it all.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I don't think I'd ascribe much significance to the Leonard-free record; it's a small data set.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on its significance, then: if that record was reversed, I feel that would be also significant, but negatively so. Eight games obviously isn't a season, yeah I get that, however it's certainly substantial enough to give a pretty convincing (and reassuring!) indication of how the Raps are managing without him, so far. I think it's crucial to start to get an idea if the Raps can win without him, to show how much depth they have. I would not downplay that in the least.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on its significance, then: if that record was reversed, I feel that would be also significant, but negatively so. Eight games obviously isn't a season, yeah I get that, however it's certainly substantial enough to give a pretty convincing (and reassuring!) indication of how the Raps are managing without him, so far. I think it's crucial to start to get an idea if the Raps can win without him, to show how much depth they have. I would not downplay that in the least.
8 are not enough, of course! Let's give them a full season try.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
I don't think there's any doubt Toronto is the deepest team in the league. I'm merely saying I would not go as far as some have in saying they're a BETTER team without Leonard.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I don't think there's any doubt Toronto is the deepest team in the league.
A case can be made that Boston has as much depth. They have 6 players scoring in double figures to the Raptors 5 (Denny Green just missing the cut at 9.6 per, w FVV close behind at 9.3), and they have 8 players averaging 20 minutes a game to Toronto's 7 (Valenciunas at 18.8). That said, this Raptor team is playing the best basketball in the league right now, and they are very fun to watch. I look forward to rooting for them in June against the Dubs.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:42 PM

Good close Raptors/Blazers game the other night, and kudos to the latter for edging out a hot team that just came off wins over the Clips and GS.
TO's looking at another tough one on the road against the Nuggets today.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good close Raptors/Blazers game the other night, and kudos to the latter for edging out a hot team that just came off wins over the Clips and GS.
TO's looking at another tough one on the road against the Nuggets today.
I really thought they were going to blow it in the last three minutes, after leading for the entire game. The Blazers' bench showed the energy and drive that they showed early in the season, scoring 50 points. Even Littlecurry hit some nice long bombs.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:52 PM

My Pacers have won their last seven games in a row, including wins over the Bucks and 76ers. The rest of the month looks like cupcakes for the most part-- home games against Cleveland, Washington, and Atlanta, and road games against Brooklyn and Atlanta. We also have a road game vs. Toronto and a home game against Detroit, but really, if we beat the teams we should be beating, we could have sole possession of first place in the Central Division by the end of the year, and maybe even the #1 rank in the Eastern Conference. (Not that I'm saying we're actually better than Toronto, Milwaukee, or Philadelphia.)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:14 AM

I heard some folks making lofty predictions about the Pacers before the season. I didn't think much of them, but they've got a pretty solid collection of guards. If Myles Turner can figure out how to be a basketball player, they can be a force with him and Sabonis down low.

The Nuggets beat Toronto without Kyle Lowry. Lowry apparently has a bruised thigh, right after he seemed to have corrected a stretch of just abysmal shooting.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
I heard some folks making lofty predictions about the Pacers before the season. I didn't think much of them, but they've got a pretty solid collection of guards. If Myles Turner can figure out how to be a basketball player, they can be a force with him and Sabonis down low.

The Nuggets beat Toronto without Kyle Lowry. Lowry apparently has a bruised thigh, right after he seemed to have corrected a stretch of just abysmal shooting.
Hell, even the Blazers beat Toronto without Lowry. More recently, their bench took out the Clippers and the Grizz fairly handily. Memphis pretty much stymied Lillard and McCollum, but didn't seem to have an answer for the Blazers bench's ball movement.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

After a couple of dismal performances against the Jazz, Portland took on the Warriors last night. It was a great game, with outstanding play on both sides, other than the Warriors poor performance at the free-throw line. The one-point overtime Blazer win was right down to the wire, with KD clanging one off the rim with five seconds left and the resulting ball scramble going in Portland's favor. But the best part of the game was, with .2 seconds left in regular time, when Curry tried to inbound an alley-oop for the win. The ball arced high towards the basket. . .and swished. Had to be a first, and both teams laughed about it. The guy can't seem to miss from 3-point land, even when it's not intentional.

Last edited by Chefguy; 12-28-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:32 AM

With no end in sight with Kyle Lowry's absence, (and following one of their most depressing losses this season, in San Antonio), a not-in-top-form Toronto go into league-leading Milwaukee tonight and finish off with a 123-115 win with a career-high 30-point game from Pascal Siakam, 25 points from Serge Ibaka and 21 points from Fred VanVleet, the latter going 5 of 8 from 3, and was particularly strong in the forth. Antentokuonmpo of course ends up with the usual ho hum 43 points and 18 rebounds.
With four 20+ point Raptors tonight - would be nice to maintain that balance, especially in the spring.
Great turnaround Ibaka has made from last season. Tonight third quarter he did a definitive block on the always-fluky number 34 guy and then came downcourt to swish a downtown'er. I told SI to sleep with one eye open, but Antemtokuonmpo never rejected him back.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 01-06-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:49 PM

The most ridiculous stat ever uttered at the Straight Dope messageboard:

In scoring 43 points last night, Klay Thompson didn't make one visit to the free throw line, and made only four dribbles to make those 43 points.

Yes, that's right.

Catch. Shoot.

A whole shitload of times.

Woulda made a bonkers highlight montage.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Portland has rebounded into 4th place in the west. How they are able to beat the Rockets fairly handily, but barely squeak by the Knicks is a mystery to me. So far, this is the best season first half for them since the 14-15 season. They're moving the ball much better, playing less hero-ball, and defending really well. Nurkic is killing it, with double-doubles being his norm, rather than the exception, and was even high scorer a couple of times. WTF? And Seth Curry has gone from being a lame duck to being double-teamed every time he's on the court.

I don't think they'll make it past the first round, but stranger things have happened. Charlotte tonight, then Denver (shudder).
Old 01-13-2019, 07:31 AM

Pacers are third in the Eastern Conference, behind only Toronto and Milwaukee, and ahead of both Boston and Philadelphia. We completed a 3-2 road trip with an ESPN prime-time win against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden.

We're beating the teams we should beat, but having a bit of a hard time against the elite teams in the NBA.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Portland swatted the Hornets, leading by as many as 35 at one point. They had 16 blocked shots in the game, which was one short of the franchise record, and Nurkic came close to his first triple double. He'll have his hands full with his old teammate Jokic in tonight's game, however.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:56 AM

Before the season Bill Simmons said that betting the over on Bucks wins was the lock of all locks. The over/under was 46.5. They are now 30-12. So yeah, that was a good pick. I'm surprised how good they are, and it's not all Giannis. It's mostly Giannis but also Middleton and Bledsoe. They are a solid team.

Even more surprising is the Denver Nuggets have the best record in the West at this moment. Hope to see that at the end of the season, too.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Da fuck is Shumpert's (SAC) problem? In this latest game with the Blazers, the guy was hyper, running his mouth and getting aggressive with the Blazers' bench and coach Stotts. He drew a technical for bumping up against Stotts, then after the game tried to go into the Blazers' locker room after Nurkic. Security stopped him. Apparently he was pissed about a hard screen during the game. I'm assuming the league will slap him with a fine for all that, but the guy seems to be jacked up on something.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:21 PM

Another crazy stat - in the last two games, Harden's gotten 115 points. Not ONE basket was assisted on. Is that his way of saying: screw you guys? Not good enough? Heh - I wonder about that if they still lost to the Nets last night with his 58-point showing.
Boston put in one of their best games last night beating Toronto.
Pffffffft - Irving, after the game, gives a disingenuous, rambling presser, part of it regretting chewing out his younger players a couple nights previously. Yeah - like he woulda gone there if they'd lost.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:40 PM

Huh - could this be Pop's final year?

When asked today if he'd coach the Spurs next year, he said he's not sure.

Turns 70 in a couple weeks.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:27 AM

Anthony Davis has indicated through his agent that he will not sign an extension in New Orleans and wants to be traded. This is news that could reasonably swing the NBA title this season and the shape of the league for a decade. Any bets on where he ends up?
Old 01-31-2019, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

LOL, the Kicks just gave Porzingis to Dallas for a grab bag of journeymen and shit.

From the Woj:

Quote:
New York has agreed with Dallas on trade that includes Kristaps Porzingis, Courtney Lee, Tim Hardaway Jr., for Wesley Matthews, Dennis Smith Jr. and DeAndre Jordan, league sources tell ESPN. Players and agents are being notified of particulars. Deal may include more draft assets.

Last edited by JohnT; 01-31-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:54 PM

On the bright side, we will finally have an NBA Finals this year that does not involve LeBron. First time in 9 years.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
LOL, the Kicks just gave Porzingis to Dallas for a grab bag of journeymen and shit.

From the Woj:
That makes zero sense. You could get better offers from at least 20 teams.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:17 AM

Maybe, but he's 7'3" and recovering from a torn ACL. If the Knicks weren't going to pay him a max deal I can understand the trade. I have no idea how much more they could have got from another team given Porzingis's injury history. Some people think the Knicks have inside information on KD coming over.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Portland's been suffering a plague of knee injuries lately, but the bench has really stepped up their game. Layman and Leonard in particular have been dogging other teams, and helped blow out Utah the other night, even with Nurkic on the bench. Hey, if Anthony Davis is looking for a home. . .
Old 02-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Mid-season trades are underway. Portland just traded Baldwin IV and Nick Stauskas (and a couple of 2nd round draft picks) to Cleveland for Rodney Hood. I wonder why Cleveland is getting rid of him?
Old 02-04-2019, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Maybe they had a peek under the hood and didn't like what they saw....
Old 02-07-2019, 07:22 PM

Mirotic going to the Bucks struck me as the juiciest of the seven deals from yesterday.

I would really fear Milwaukee now.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:52 PM

Another classic Lakers-Celtics game! Boston’s obviously a better team, but LeBron was highly motivated for the comeback 1-point win — his lucky bouncing the ball to a teammate as he fell out of bounds, then former Celtic Rajon Rondo getting off that last-second shot...
Old 02-07-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Mirotic going to the Bucks struck me as the juiciest of the seven deals from yesterday.

I would really fear Milwaukee now.
Yes. The Balkan Brothers will be tough for anyone to guard.
But Marc Gasol to Toronto keeps the Raptors right up around the top of the surprisingly strong East.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:37 AM

Thank you Orlando for taking pus boy Markelle Fultz off the Sixers hands. One of the biggest waste of a #1 pick in league history. Thank you for taking this distraction and salary off our hands, and good luck finding a way to motivate this sissy into wanting to be an NBA player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Yes. The Balkan Brothers will be tough for anyone to guard.
But Marc Gasol to Toronto keeps the Raptors right up around the top of the surprisingly strong East.
Too bad he's 34, though, and not the defender he used to be, but at least better than Vallancuinas in that dept.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Thank you Orlando for taking pus boy Markelle Fultz off the Sixers hands. One of the biggest waste of a #1 pick in league history. Thank you for taking this distraction and salary off our hands, and good luck finding a way to motivate this sissy into wanting to be an NBA player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
On paper, that starting five - yikes - Ebiid, Harris, Butler, Simmons and Reddick. Scary. Almost all of them are quite shot-happy, though, which raises questions how well they'll gel.
Heard Butler's already bending a nose or two out of shape in the locker room.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:44 AM

I'm surprised Anthony Davis didn't end up on the Lakers. Sounds like it was the Pelicans who were hesitant to pull the trigger on a deal. Too bad, because they are probably in a lose-lose spot now with AD.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

So who had the Nets for 6th in the East before the season?

They're a fun team to watch - D'Angelo Russell seems to be putting it all together; Jarrett Allan looks to be the next great defensive big man in the league; Spencer Dinwiddie was amazing before he got hurt and now they're about to get Caris LeVert back, who was having a breakout start of the season before he got hurt. And even Joe Harris looks like a league average shooting guard, which I never would have guessed two years ago.

I'm not a big NBA fan, but the Nets are my team. To be honest, I'd almost given up on them after the frustration of all the traded draft picks in the last several years. Never thought they'd be this good this year.

And that they are 19 games above the Knicks in the standings is an added bonus...
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
So who had the Nets for 6th in the East before the season?

They're a fun team to watch - D'Angelo Russell seems to be putting it all together; Jarrett Allan looks to be the next great defensive big man in the league; Spencer Dinwiddie was amazing before he got hurt and now they're about to get Caris LeVert back, who was having a breakout start of the season before he got hurt. And even Joe Harris looks like a league average shooting guard, which I never would have guessed two years ago.

I'm not a big NBA fan, but the Nets are my team. To be honest, I'd almost given up on them after the frustration of all the traded draft picks in the last several years. Never thought they'd be this good this year.

And that they are 19 games above the Knicks in the standings is an added bonus...
You got a hell of a defender from Portland in Ed Davis. Quiet, but ferocious under the basket. You also got Allen Crabbe, who was always a sparkplug off the bench.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:00 PM

Not that beating the Lakers is a metric, but the Sixers are going to be interesting to watch the last half of the season...
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Whooo-eeee! GS got their asses handed to them by the Blazers last night. In a wild 4th qarter, Steve Kerr got ejected for having a huge hissy fit. Draymond Green got his usual technical foul for being a major crybaby. At one point, late in the fourth quarter, the Blazers had five free throws in a row due to both a foul and technical foul calls, then buried a three on the ensuing possession. The eight point turnaround threw GS into a tailspin. Rookie Zach Collins really got under the skin of both Green and Klay Thompson. Collins is a tough defender and takes no shit. The only bright spot for a team full of whiners was the usual cool professionalism of Kevin Durant, who was laughing while pushing Kerr towards the locker room.
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

Looks like Orlando decided they kinda like this whole winning thing and they are going to stick to it for a while. Probably long enough to completely crush any shot at a decent pick this year without actually making the playoffs.

Last edited by DigitalC; Yesterday at 08:52 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM

Pascal Siakam has really taken off this season and got a career high 44 points last night against a somewhat ailing Washington (with ten boards and three blocks).
Cool the Raptors acquired Jeremy Lin, who should be a good fit as a third centre, and will especially come in handy as Fred Van Vleet is out with thumb surgery for a month (fuckin THANKS DRAYMOND "Draymond Rule" GREEN FOR THAT).
Mr. Gasol is looking not bad out there - he just has to learn the team's messed-up pre-game free-form intro high-fivin.
Old Today, 01:49 AM

Quote:
After coming out of the gates absolutely gangbusters at the beginning of the season, Kyle Lowry is having the worst slump of his career - for the first time since 2013, he didn't register a point last game, and in the last five games he's averaged five points per game and shooting 19% from both beyond and inside the arc.
This should turn around, of course, but still weird. And he's still second in the NBA in assists and leads in charges drawn. Van Vleet views it as Lowry taking a back seat, "deferring a little bit...probably sacrificing for the greater of the team." Meanwhile Leonard doesn't think KL's being aggressive enough.
Have you figured out yet there is more than one KL on your team?
Old Today, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Have you figured out yet there is more than one KL on your team?
Um, possibly. (Since it's possible I already acknowledged the other KL in that same post.)

Quote:
Meanwhile Leonard doesn't think KL's being aggressive enough.

Huh - wouldn't that be niftier-than-all get-out if Nick Nurse took coach of the year. I wonder if any team has claimed a coach of the year two years in a row. Very much doubt it but too lazy to check.