Old 11-11-2015, 06:44 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpronounceable View Post
You playing on PC? Because, yeah, there should be a lock and bobby pin.

Because that sounds kind of like the "invisible avatar" bug - sometimes the game glitches and doesn't animate the character. Sometimes fixable by entering a conversation, sometimes fixable by a quicksave/quickload.
I am playing on PC. I'll try the quicksave and reload next time. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:46 PM

I hope I haven't just been lucky, but I've gotten my hands on a relative abundance of fusion cores. Outside the water treatment plant, I found one "in-world" as well as four in an ammo box (so possibly randomized). I just got to Diamond City, and one of the vendors had four in stock. So it's looking like they're not a totally finite resource. I'll have to be more liberal with my use of power armor; in hindsight, I probably should have taken it to the Corvega assembly plant.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:50 PM

How is melee combat? Does it have any weight to it? Is there any sort of back and forth to it? Or are you basically running around punching like you have a gun that just happens to only have a range of 3 feet?

Is the dialogue as simplified/dumbed down/"cinematic" as it looks?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
But I'm kind of bothered about how it makes it basically impossible to define what the hell it was my character was before the bombs fell. I can't already take any career-defining perks.
The male character is a military veteran, and the female character too, I think? You killed Commie scum for America! (Or Americanada). Explains away a lot of the "50s-style housewife removes a guy's eyeballs with a tire iron 15 minutes after leaving shelter."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I know I'm a lousy cheater, but I often saved before hacking or lockpicking. In Fallout 3, I was locked out for a period if I saved before hacking a computer(and failed).

Did they do this or can I return to my cheating ways and save & hack away?
You can do the same where if you fail 3x, just quit and go back and you'll have 4 again, with the words resetting. Same where you can hunt for duds and replenish by finding paired parentheses and brackets. Note the perks as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
How is melee combat? Does it have any weight to it? Is there any sort of back and forth to it? Or are you basically running around punching like you have a gun that just happens to only have a range of 3 feet?
There are perks which make it better (e.g. resist damage when sprinting, increase melee VATS range). Sadly you can't target specific areas, which at least makes sense for some types.
Guns can also bash.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinthalis View Post
You can harvest any plants you place in your settlements for the components to make adhesive. They grow back every so often, and there are at least two farms where you can pick up plants. Just hold on to them until you get back to your settlement, then plant them.
Thanks for the tip, only just started to properly build up Sanctuary.

Incidentally I decided to go ahead with my collect all bobbleheads ASAP plan, this vid is the best guide on it I've found (all the others seem to say 'it's at such-and-such on a table', without telling you where such-and-such is). At too early a level though you'll get pasted in some of the locations, I'd recommend level 10+ minimum.

Also I've only just realised that your rad count takes down your maximum HP, herp derp. Was wondering where radiation sickness went.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Here's another supposed list of names, I suppose better sourced. I roll my eyes a bit at some of the names they picked given that they didn't even include Sue:

http://hastebin.com/raw/eziriberin
Old 11-11-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Here's another supposed list of names, I suppose better sourced. I roll my eyes a bit at some of the names they picked given that they didn't even include Sue:

http://hastebin.com/raw/eziriberin
Markiepoo?
Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 PM

Where is Bort?
Old 11-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

So, no matter what I do I can't see what is going on for lock picking. And now it seems that the resolution has changed, on its own. And now I can't seem to get an ideal look for the game.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
The male character is a military veteran, and the female character too, I think? You killed Commie scum for America! (Or Americanada). Explains away a lot of the "50s-style housewife removes a guy's eyeballs with a tire iron 15 minutes after leaving shelter."
I think it was mentioned offhandedly that the wife has a law degree. That may be because I gave her a lot of intelligence, though. I'm operating under the assumption the the army had a family day where family members had the chance to try out power armor, justifying why she knows how to operate the things without further training like the Lone Wanderer and Courier needed.

I'm enjoying it a fair bit so far. It's Skyrim with guns, but there's nothing wrong with that and it's what I'm in the mood for. The shooting gameplay isn't great, but it's a definite step up from previous Bethesda titles. I wouldn't play the game just for the shooting, but it's fun enough to keep me entertained.

When I heard about the base building system, I had assumed it was just going to be a glorified, upgradeable, prefab homebase. Like, pay 1000 caps and this building appears, 2000 and that one appears, etc. What's actually there is surprisingly compelling. I know that it's mostly just cosmetic, but I really enjoying cleaning up my homebase area and plopping down the buildings. I'm particularly surprised at how robust the wiring options are. Bethesda games have always suffered from the feeling of having nothing to do with your loot once you accumulate it, and this is a pretty clever money sink. I can definitely see myself getting a wee bit obsessed building a huge settlement.

In short, it's flawed but good.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I know I'm a lousy cheater, but I often saved before hacking or lockpicking. In Fallout 3, I was locked out for a period if I saved before hacking a computer(and failed).

Did they do this or can I return to my cheating ways and save & hack away?
No reason to "cheat" since bobby pins are super plentiful (if you're careful you don't need to break that many anyway), and for hacking terminals you do get locked out after 4 wrong guesses but only for 10 seconds. Takes longer than that to re-load the game anyway.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:42 AM

I watched a stream and it looked like the dialogue system allows no choices at all, at least in what I saw. You get four slightly different pieces of dialogue on the way to the same end.

"Hi there. Would you like to be my friend and help me rescue my sister?"
A) Sarcastic B) Sure C) What's a sister? D) No way
Select D
"Fuck your sister. I want her to die."
"Well, great, thanks for the help. She's in that building over there being held hostage. Thank you for offering your help. Bring her back here when you save her."
Old 11-12-2015, 07:07 AM

I'm not far enough in to have an idea of what impacts decisions make, but since I'm playing a more-or-less goodhearted guy this time around (he's a prewar family man, after all), I haven't been bothered by the apparent lack of meaningful "fuck off" options yet.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:49 AM

I'm thinking of getting this. Should I get it for the Xbox One and use controller or my PC (it can run it on ultra everything) with kb/m?
Old 11-12-2015, 09:13 AM

I noticed someone mention stuttering. One thing I have seen mentioned a lot if that running the game in borderless window mode can help with this. You choose this in the options in the launcher - but remember to reset your resolution as it has a tendency to change it.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
I'm thinking of getting this. Should I get it for the Xbox One and use controller or my PC (it can run it on ultra everything) with kb/m?
How much do you value the sofa/big screen? As those are the only advantages of the Xbox One version. Also, it has been found to have some terrible frame dropping on only the Xbox One.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPZXkdD1RwQ

Apparently using an SSD helps and it may be patched to help, but it is definitely worth thinking about.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:34 AM

Given the choice between the Xbox and a PC, I'd go with the PC.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Why would you even consider the xbone?
Old 11-12-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Not sure why you'd even consider the console version at this point, especially the xbone version with it's 0 FPS for seconds at a time issues.

If "comfy couch" experience is important to you (and you don't already have a something liek a small form factor PC or HTPC hooked up to your TV), I'd recommend investing on a $40 Steam link, specially if you've already got a powerhouse PC somewhere in your house.

You can use a gamepad on the PC version too if you want.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 11-12-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:43 AM

Currently ordering a used CPU for my 5 year-old mobo so I can meet the minimum requirements.....
Old 11-12-2015, 09:45 AM

Anyone have any tips for stealth? So far it's only gotten me into trouble. IT lets me (sometimes) bypass a few enemies, but I inevitably get caught as anytime I have to take someone out it alerts the entire area to my presence. So instead of fighting a few enemies, moving in deeper into a base, then fighting a few more, rinse/repeat, I find myself in the center of the hornet's nests with enemies at all sides.

Is there no way to take out people silently?

Last edited by Kinthalis; 11-12-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Currently ordering a used CPU for my 5 year-old mobo so I can meet the minimum requirements.....
Agh, I have an i7 3770k that I was about to put on ebay I cold have sold you cheap, also an i7 920!

Gotta get rid of these things.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:48 AM

I've been able to use a scoped (unsilenced) rifle to stealthily take out opponents. So long as you're careful about positioning, the enemies will only stay on alert for a little while before they calm down again. It lets me take out the outlying guards before I move into strongholds.

Haven't found anything that works in indoor settings, though. I never really play stealth characters in these games.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Agh, I have an i7 3770k that I was about to put on ebay I cold have sold you cheap, also an i7 920!

Gotta get rid of these things.
'Preciate it, but it's an AMD system It can juuuust handle the minimum CPU.

Now to find a GPU that I's can be sure is compatible.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:41 AM

I'm using a scoped revolver to take out enemies from a distance, then back off until I go back into hidden. What pisses me off are the mole rats randomly popping out of the ground, it completely negates the two ranks of stealth that I took.

Power armor on the other hand is pretty ridiculous. I cleared out some factory filled with raiders by running up to them and bashing their heads in, and I haven't taken any melee perks.

I just got my first legendary weapon. A BoS vertibird vs legendary raider vs supermutants vs deathclaw...I just stayed crouched on the edge of the battle and cleaned up the loot afterward, it was glorious!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I'm now a few hours in. So far, the game's been running fine on Ultra settings, despite the processor that is my main weakness.

Goddamned, but this Vault Dweller (I haven't heard what the nickname is going to be this time) is bad ass from the minute you step out of the vault. Not only am I pretty good in a fight, I'm apparently already an expert machinist and I already know how to use power armor.

I left the power armor, and the second set I found, back at the Red Rocket. I haven't found something that makes it really necessary yet, except for that first encounter where it was introduced.

I do hate that the dialogue system has been dumbed down. I take the opportunity to be sarcastic when I can, since it doesn't prevent me from being a good guy.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:17 AM

Played about 19 hours of this game over the last two and a half days. (Currently level 12, just doing the "help this other settlement" quests.)

Recommended mods:

1) Improve the dog companion's AI. I typically play a stealth/sniper. One of my favorite tactics is to draw bad guys over mines I have tossed around. Sometimes (but not all of the time) the dog will charge past me once I draw agro. He doesn't set off the mines, but now I have to either wait until he's knocked out, or back him up. Also, with him charging in there, the bad guys won't de-aggro, and eventually somehow gain the knowledge of where I am, even though there is no LOS to me. I get so frustrated sometimes, that I just give him the "stay" command in some out of the way spot. (However, he has saved my bacon a lot too.)

In the movement/pathing arena, sometimes he is underfoot (like blocking a doorway), other times (especially on roads) he is a hundred yards behind me. No consistency.

TLDR: The dog seems to require a little bit more micromanaging than I like to have to do.

2) I have discovered that you can "tag" ingredients in your workbench. This places a marker on junk out in the world (on the PC version, it looks like a magnifying glass) that you will want to pick up. But I have found no reliable way to "clear all tags". For example, I might forget what recipe needed fiberglass, and now I can't figure out how to turn that tag off.

----------------

I found an Iron Dog Collar and Light Dog Armor that I can get my dog to wear/equip. (Yes, it changes his appearance! ) However, it actually offers no protection, according to the inventory screen. When I went to the armor crafting bench, it did not show up as a moddable piece of gear. I have no armor crafting perks yet. Other stuff that requires perks do indeed still show up greyed out in the list, but not the doggie stuff.

Can I improve this doggie armor if I spend the perks in armor crafting?

Is there more dog armor out there to find, that actually has protective benefits?

Last edited by mlees; 11-12-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:47 PM

There definitely is dog armor. Don't know how to get it though, saw it in a stream.

Yeah, there REALLY needs to be a dog whistle, or something. He keeps haring off and vanishing, which isn't particularly useful. If they haven't patched it in by the time the toolkit is released, maybe I'll actually publish a mod for it.

As for stealth - it looks like they finally fixed the "one-shot-kill = silence" flaw. In F3, it was possible to sneak up on 2 enemies having a conversation, blow off one of their heads, and the other guy wouldn't realize anything had happened. Haven't found a silenced weapon yet to try that out.

Can't wait for somebody to mod in equipment sets. It takes a long time to switch between my "conversation clothes" (total of +5 to CHA) and my "do everything else" armor.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:58 PM

I just read something about melee weapons being useful in stealth. Maybe you can kill silently with them?

Gonna try tonight.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:01 PM

Now I have an image of someone with a running chainsaw sneaking up behind an unawares victim.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Lock picking is a game breaking bug for me. I've tried several things including modifying the ini files. Nothing works.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:03 PM

I'd forgotten about that. If you get up on somebody unawares, you do a little one-shot kill melee animation. I've also had it work in situations where they turn and see me just at the last second. It's pretty satisfying.

It works with my 1-strength guy, so it's definitely not based on your prowess with weapons.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 11-12-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Didn't actually mean "one-shit kill," though that would be a cool perk.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
To update:

Still didn't work. Got to launch screen, then nothing. Don't have the patience to jump through all those hoops again, so fuck it.
That's a shame. I downloaded the GOTY edition and fired it up to have it crash after the intro cinematic. After the changes to the .ini file needed for multi-core operation, everything seems okay.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Lock picking is a game breaking bug for me. I've tried several things including modifying the ini files. Nothing works.
Try contacting Bethesda directly about that - I know they've already patched one bug that was screwing up terminal & pip-boy displays for some people.

But, if you don't want to wait, you can open up the console & type unlock

edit: and to get companions to wear something: If you press T (if you're on the PC) on items while trading them, it tells the companion to equip them.

Last edited by Unpronounceable; 11-12-2015 at 02:17 PM. Reason: new info
Old 11-12-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe obvious, but did you try verifying the game files? Very rarely something goes awry when downloading or when decrypting if you preorder.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 11-12-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
But, if you don't want to wait, you can open up the console & type unlock
At least in New Vegas, using the console would disable getting achievements in that gameplay. If you quit to desktop and restarted, it would be okay as long as you didn't do it again without restarting.
Quote:
edit: and to get companions to wear something: If you press T (if you're on the PC) on items while trading them, it tells the companion to equip them.
Cool! I always hated that people would autoequip in Bethesda games, even if it was an easy way to murder people consequence free in Oblivion.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Yeah, but he could always get the trophies on a later playthrough, after it gets patched, if he even cares about them. The other downside is that he wouldn't get the xp from lockpicking.

The equipping hotkey turned up in a discussion about how to ID settlers who are assigned jobs. Simply keep an assortment of hats around - farmers get one kind, traders another, caravaneers a third type, etc. That way you don't accidentally unassign a workstation, since the settlers don't tell you they're already assigned.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:11 PM

Question:

I know that Dogmeat can't die, but what about the other companions? When Cogsworth gets killed, he just lays there. I can't figure out how to use a stimpack on him. If I hang around for a while will he get up?

I've just reloaded the game each time because what will I do without my chipper robot deathbutler?
Old 11-12-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Goddamned, but this Vault Dweller (I haven't heard what the nickname is going to be this time) is bad ass from the minute you step out of the vault. Not only am I pretty good in a fight, I'm apparently already an expert machinist and I already know how to use power armor.
The Sole Survivor.
Quote:
Looking at the Steam forums it seems to be a common bug for 5:4 monitors, there's a few .ini modifications suggested, I don't know which ones you've tried, there's this mod solution at the Nexus or changing you resolution like so;
Quote:
For those with 5:4 screens that run at 1280x1024 resolution. To fix this simply open Fallout4Prefs.ini (located in C:\Users\[name]\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\), then scroll down to the following and change them to the below:
bMaximizeWindow=0
bBorderless=0
bFull Screen=0
iSize H=950
iSize W=1270

Next go to the second Fallout4Prefs.ini located at wherever you installed steam then open steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Fallout4 and make the same changes as previously.
(source)
Old 11-12-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Question:

I know that Dogmeat can't die, but what about the other companions? When Cogsworth gets killed, he just lays there. I can't figure out how to use a stimpack on him. If I hang around for a while will he get up?

I've just reloaded the game each time because what will I do without my chipper robot deathbutler?
The Fallout Wikia says that he's essential, so unkillable. Eventually (some indeterminate time after combat ends) he's supposed to get up by himself.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Why would you even consider the xbone?
Because PC releases haven't been as solid these last few months. I wouldn't want to end up in an Arkham situation.

But I haven't heard any complaints, which is good.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:27 PM

You really don't want this one for the xbox - while the framerate is worse on both consoles, the xbox stutters quite frequently, even dropping to 0 fps on occasion.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe obvious, but did you try verifying the game files? Very rarely something goes awry when downloading or when decrypting if you preorder.
There was one single file that needed to be downloaded but that wasn't the issue.

Thank you Mr. Kobayashi but those changes did not solve the problem either.

I have done some twiddling but can't seem to have my candy and eat it too. In 16x9, no matter what I do, I can't get the lock picking to work, but I can get a full screen image. In 16x10, I can see the lock and the bobby pin, but I can't get a full screen image. Maybe one of the things I've seen solves this particular problem but at this point I don't remember.

Last edited by Ike Witt; 11-12-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Oh and as a topper, I can't even open things using the console.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:01 PM

Well, definitely keep an eye on the official forums, you're apparently not the only one with the problem. It seems to be tied to specific monitor resolutions.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Oh and as a topper, I can't even open things using the console.
Clicking the door and typing "unlock" doesn't work? Or it won't come up at all? In some games you have to add -console to the shortcut link, although IIRC I was able to pull it up in this game.

You can also use "tcl" to clip through, but this only works if its in the same zone.

It sounds like you know what you're doing and comfortable tinkering, so this is probably a stupid question that you already checked, but: did you update your video card drivers? Or if you are up to date, roll them back to an older version?
Old 11-12-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Because PC releases haven't been as solid these last few months. I wouldn't want to end up in an Arkham situation.

But I haven't heard any complaints, which is good.
Uhm, you mean the ONE game? The game that has the EXACT same issue as Fallout 4 has on PS4 and Xbone, and yet plenty of console gamers are still enjoying?

That's the thing with "bad" PC ports. Even the bad ones are still BETTER than the console versions of the game.

Check out PS4's lovely Fallout 4 frame rate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul1E...ature=youtu.be

Actually that's a lot worse than I ever experienced on Batman Arkham Knight even before the patch.

Last edited by Kinthalis; 11-12-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
It seems to be tied to specific monitor resolutions.
It is a resolution issue. When I changed my monitor from 1280 x 1024 to 1280 x 800 it solved all issues with the game.

I can now see the lock and bobby pin along with a full screen image. It just borks everything else I do but I don't mind changing the resolution every once in a while. Still, I'll be happy when there is a proper fix.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
It is a resolution issue. When I changed my monitor from 1280 x 1024 to 1280 x 800 it solved all issues with the game.

I can now see the lock and bobby pin along with a full screen image. It just borks everything else I do but I don't mind changing the resolution every once in a while. Still, I'll be happy when there is a proper fix.
Are you using a CRT monitor? Pretty sure those are illegal now
Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 PM

Well, there's some instructions on Nexus that are supposed to fix the issue.