Old 05-09-2017, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Here's one from the worldwide simultaneous pairs competition last night.

I held SAxxx HAKxxx DKx CAK. I decided to be bold and opened 2NT. Partner bid 3H - transfer to Spades - and having four card support and the Ace and useful doubletons, I jumped to 4S. Partner then used ordinary Blackwood to check for Aces and Kings, and we ended up in 7S. Partner held SKQJT9x Hx DATxx CJx. That got us a top at the club, but I rather suspect that better pairs will end up in 7NT.
Well done, but there's only 12 tricks in NT. so you were in the best spot.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

I must have remembered one of the hands incorrectly because 7NT was cold. Maybe partner had the Queen of Hearts.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:39 PM

For the flip side, I picked up (I think) my biggest hand ever in a casual game the other day:

S AKQxx H AKxx D AKx C A

Trouble was, I was so busy counting points that I mis-sorted one of my small spades as a club and (playing Acol) after 2C - 2D - 3NT (what else do I have?) there it stopped.

Partner put down: S x H Qx D JTxxx C Jxxxx.

Opening lead was a small diamond, Jack, RHO discards a Heart and I'm thanking my fool's luck for keeping us out of 6D...
Old 05-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here's one from the worldwide simultaneous pairs competition last night.

I held SAxxx HAKxxx DKx CAK. I decided to be bold and opened 2NT. Partner bid 3H - transfer to Spades - and having four card support and the Ace and useful doubletons, I jumped to 4S. Partner then used ordinary Blackwood to check for Aces and Kings, and we ended up in 7S. Partner held SKQJT9x Hx DATxx CJx. That got us a top at the club, but I rather suspect that better pairs will end up in 7NT.
7NT can only make on a very unlikely heart/diamond squeeze. Or some amazing luck in diamonds.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick View Post
For the flip side, I picked up (I think) my biggest hand ever in a casual game the other day:

S AKQxx H AKxx D AKx C A

Trouble was, I was so busy counting points that I mis-sorted one of my small spades as a club and (playing Acol) after 2C - 2D - 3NT (what else do I have?) there it stopped.

Partner put down: S x H Qx D JTxxx C Jxxxx.

Opening lead was a small diamond, Jack, RHO discards a Heart and I'm thanking my fool's luck for keeping us out of 6D...
Edited to remove:

Never mind

Last edited by OldGuy; 05-12-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:20 PM

Anyone play the robot rebate games on BBO? $1 to play, but $1.50 back for scoring 55% plus. The standard is pretty sharp it seems - best I've encountered on BBO.

Normal MP robot games you bid something sensible and make your contract, you'll be fine. Misplay a suit and slip an overtrick might get you an ave minus, but won't be fatal. It is on the rebate, though - some good players. Finding it excellent practice for cardplay.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Bad hand from tonight. We play pretty much SAYC. Sitting 4th seat East I hold:

♤: K
♡: AKQT3
♢: A6
♧: AKQ84

South opens 2♤.
Partner passes.
North raises to 3♤
I double.

East passes, partner bids 4 ♡. West passes.

What should I bid now?
Old 06-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Scissors View Post
Anyone play the robot rebate games on BBO? $1 to play, but $1.50 back for scoring 55% plus. The standard is pretty sharp it seems - best I've encountered on BBO.

Normal MP robot games you bid something sensible and make your contract, you'll be fine. Misplay a suit and slip an overtrick might get you an ave minus, but won't be fatal. It is on the rebate, though - some good players. Finding it excellent practice for cardplay.
I've not played the rebate games, although I regularly play robot tournaments - mostly free. I went to check out the rebates and noticed that the two free daily robot tournaments (MP and IMP) have just been reduced to 3 per week. There is also a weekly free instant tournament. You can play that and then check out Australian expert Pete Hollands who plays the same hands with commentary and posts to Youtube. His channel is here.

He normally plays Monday evening/Tuesday (depending on where you live).
Old 06-06-2017, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
East passes, partner bids 4 ♡. West passes.

What should I bid now?
Remember that you have forced a bid from your partner. However, you are extra strength. You have 25 HCP, LHO has 6-10, RHO has something, so that doesn't leave much for your partner. So just pass.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Remember that you have forced a bid from your partner. However, you are extra strength. You have 25 HCP, LHO has 6-10, RHO has something, so that doesn't leave much for your partner. So just pass.
If RHO is a point counter where 3S actually means something, then pard is marked with a broke hand and passing at MPs is prob wise.

3S could mean zero points and three small spades, though. Prob seems to be that the KD looks like the key card on this deal, and no way of asking for it without committing to 6. Not really arsed about the ace of spades as 7 doesn't seem realistic over the pre-empt. In light of that, I would prob just bid 6H direct. Pard will forgive my enthusiasm when it's wrong because it's not every day that you get dealt a shapely 25.

Thanks for that link Amarone, I'll check it out. Like to see how the experts bash the bots around.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:25 AM

The way I see it, you need either the As or the Kd to make 6, and if you have both you can make 7. So why not ask for Aces? In the event of the negative response, play safe and sign off in 5H (OK, it makes the same score as 4H+1 but you haven't really risked anything). If pard has As, you can ask for Kings - if negative, sign off in 6H (losing just a diamond), if positive then 7H should make (I suppose it could fail if one opponent has 4 clubs to the Jack and pard has 4 small clubs but this is so unlikely that it has to be a risk worth taking).

The other factor is if you pass, 4S might be a worthwhile sacrifice for South to make. Then you probably have to bid 5H anyway. Is 5S a good sacrifice? We don't know the vulnerability but assuming neither, they'd have to go 3 down (doubled - you'd obviously double for penalties) before it's worse than you making 5H. I'd say your points are good for at least 4 tricks, but whether you would get them 3 down depends on how much cross-ruffing they can do.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Another problem with 6H is that partner could have four small hearts and opposing trumps could be split 4-0 (especially with the weak 2 opening) in which case entries to partner's hand for the trump finesse become critical. And then there's the possibility that it's the 2S opener that has the 4 hearts (and what about a club void on top?).

I'm currently taking lessons from a player who plays for Scotland and one of the things he mentioned early on is that in a pairs competition you shouldn't bother trying for the 100% score (though that's nice) but aim for the 60% score. In pairs, 4H +1 or +2 is - on average - a better score than 6H possibly -1.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
The way I see it, you need either the As or the Kd to make 6, and if you have both you can make 7. So why not ask for Aces? In the event of the negative response, play safe and sign off in 5H (OK, it makes the same score as 4H+1 but you haven't really risked anything). If pard has As, you can ask for Kings - if negative, sign off in 6H (losing just a diamond), if positive then 7H should make (I suppose it could fail if one opponent has 4 clubs to the Jack and pard has 4 small clubs but this is so unlikely that it has to be a risk worth taking).
Slam with KD no AS is prob as good as slam with AS and no KD. We've a small chance of the AS and an even chance of the KD, ISTM.
So I don't think you should ask for aces IF you're prepared to stop in 5H after a negative response. It's either 4 or 6, with the ace-ask catering for 7 if your luck is in.

Opps pre-empting style is important for weighing up the possibility of the AS, of course. Seasoned pairs are quite particular on what they will open wrt vulnerability and position.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

If partner has the Ace of Spades, theoretically we can discard our losing diamond on that ace. 6H has significant dangers - trump split, club ruff, Diamond King, Spade Ace. I can just imagine bidding 6H and getting a Lightner double from the 2S bidder hoping for a club ruff and then it's a 50-50 chance as to whether a club or a diamond is led. A perfect storm will see you three off - club ruff, spade to Spade Ace held by RHO, another club ruff, then Diamond King (or another promoted Diamond).
Old 06-06-2017, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

This could make slam opposite the right zero-point hand: xxx xxxxx xxx xx. However, it would be no play opposite xx xxxx xxxx xxx, which is probably more likely. Slam will have play opposite any hand with 5 hearts and no more than 6 minor suit cards. It will require all the clubs to come in if partner has 6 minors. If partner has 5 hearts and JC, it is huge. Obviously KD makes it a lock.

I have sympathy for just bidding 6H, but I will bid 4S and see if partner can come up with a 5D bid.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyone play the robot rebate games on BBO? $1 to play, but $1.50 back for scoring 55% plus.
What time of day do you play? I looked three times between 9 and 11pm Eastern time and there were never enough players registered to run the game - typically only one.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarone View Post
What time of day do you play? I looked three times between 9 and 11pm Eastern time and there were never enough players registered to run the game - typically only one.
I normally play in the UK evening - there's always players about although sometimes it will only be 4 or 5.
I see BBO are promoting it on their front page where the most successful rebate players each half month get the princely sum of ten dollars. Some players absolutely crushing it with 40+ rebates.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This could make slam opposite the right zero-point hand: xxx xxxxx xxx xx. However, it would be no play opposite xx xxxx xxxx xxx, which is probably more likely. Slam will have play opposite any hand with 5 hearts and no more than 6 minor suit cards. It will require all the clubs to come in if partner has 6 minors. If partner has 5 hearts and JC, it is huge. Obviously KD makes it a lock.

I have sympathy for just bidding 6H, but I will bid 4S and see if partner can come up with a 5D bid.

I like this. As it is, I optimistically just bid 6 hearts.

Partner had 0 high card points and 4 Hearts. Amazingly enough, North underled his spade Ace on trick 1, and the King on the board held! But alas that was the last break for partner. South held all 4 Hearts. The clubs split poorly. We lost a trump, and a diamond.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Slam with KD no AS is prob as good as slam with AS and no KD. We've a small chance of the AS and an even chance of the KD, ISTM.
So I don't think you should ask for aces IF you're prepared to stop in 5H after a negative response. It's either 4 or 6, with the ace-ask catering for 7 if your luck is in.
I agree with the first part of the above, but my theory was that 5H is pretty much as safe as 4H (apparently not, as it turned out) so asking for Aces gives you a safe chance to explore the slam without the need to go on if the answer is negative. I suppose the fact that 4H turned out to be the best contract is what scuppers this plan. Seems that was as a result of a couple of unlucky breaks, though.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
I agree with the first part of the above, but my theory was that 5H is pretty much as safe as 4H (apparently not, as it turned out) so asking for Aces gives you a safe chance to explore the slam without the need to go on if the answer is negative. I suppose the fact that 4H turned out to be the best contract is what scuppers this plan. Seems that was as a result of a couple of unlucky breaks, though.
I agree with you that you'd think the 5 level would be OK here on most deals. Easy to fall in love with strong hands, though

I think as a rule, though, that having a nibble at slam based on unlikely holdings is not sound bridge, certainly at matchpoints. So saying 'I'm only bidding slam if pard has the AS' when he probably doesn't, isn't worth the risk of going up to the 5 level. Too costly in the long run.

Ty Biotop for posting the rest of the hand.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes, if partner has 5 hearts and no points there are only two ways to NOT make six: an exact mirror distribution or a 4-0 club break.

I would ask for aces (why not?) and then bid 6 or 7 appropriately. If partner has only 4 hearts there might be some drama, but there will always be some kind of play for it.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

First you should ask about styles of of the 2S opener. Some are serious about not opening such bids without 2 of the top three honors. If your opponents are like this, opener must have AQ of spades. This makes slam much less likely.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
First you should ask about styles of of the 2S opener. Some are serious about not opening such bids without 2 of the top three honors. If your opponents are like this, opener must have AQ of spades. This makes slam much less likely.
I think it very unlikely that partner has AS yet there are still many hands where slam is good. See my previous post for examples.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Would you find the killing opening lead?

From a Friday sectional match point game:

I sit East. None vulnerable. West deals.

The bidding:

W: 1♢
N: double
E: (me) 1♡
S: 1♤
W: Pass
N: 2♤

E: I wanted to bid 4♡. I really did. But I didn't push it. I bid only 3♡.

All pass. The opening lead came and 4♡ made 10 tricks for me easily. I was kicking myself for cowardice, but after checking the round afterwards I saw only 1 pair bid the 4♡. AND THEY WENT DOWN 1!

So here's the puzzle. I don't know whether the other team got pushed to 4 Hearts or not. Maybe East just took the gamble. Maybe North bid 3♤ after the East's bid of 3♡. But whatever. That's not the point. 4 ♡ was reached. And here is the South hand against 4♡ in the East:

♤: QJ54
♡: 9
♢: K8
♧: J65432

Can you find the killing opening lead?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The bidding:
W: 1♢
N: double
E: (me) 1♡
S: 1♤
W: Pass
N: 2♤

South Hand Can you find the killing opening lead?
The obvious lead to me seems to be Q♤, hoping K♤ is in dummy and A in your partner's hand. But it's unlikely that's the answer as that lead seems so obviously right without knowing there's a "killing lead." It seems unlikely partner is short in ♧ given his double so one of opponents probably is, so I don't see a lot of hope there, and it's hard to imagine the 9♡ helps at all. So I'd guess it's K♢, then 8♢ to partner's A followed by a rough and a later setting trick.

I doubt I'd make it.

Last edited by OldGuy; 06-12-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:17 AM
Charter Member

The surprising thing to me is that the South involved against the only actual heart game contract found the correct lead. Kudos to them! The bidding up until East's bid of either 3 hearts or 4 hearts seems fairly standard.

This South was not the only one, by the way, to start out with the killer lead. One other team held East to only the 3 heart contract with no overtrick. But the South that leads right against the game gets top score for his/her team. Lead wrong and it is a bottom.

I'll let a few other people guess before revealing the correct answer and the full deal.

Last edited by Biotop; 06-12-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:06 AM

Not much to add to OldGuy's analysis. I suspect at the table I would have led Qs. But I once read in a bridge book that if you treat every hand like a 'puzzle' such as this, you might find the (surprising) correct play. So on that basis, I might go along the lines of given partner has supported spades, it's very likely one of the opposition has a shortage and we only make one or two tricks in spades (which we will probably make anyway). I can't see any value in the clubs (even if partner's clubs are strong) and leading a trump will probably be safe but unlikely to trouble declarer too much, I would have thought. Whereas if partner has Axx in diamonds, leading the K followed by the 8 (which partner wins with his A, then leads another diamond back for a ruff) could give us three quick tricks, then partner has the setting trick in either clubs or spades.

The one thing that would lead me away from this conclusion is that in the bidding system I play, partner's double indicates he is short in diamonds with the other suits about even and enough points to open. So it would be unlikely for him to hold 3 or more diamonds. However, I assume from OldGuy's comments that that isn't the case here.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Was North's initial double for take-out or showing strength? Because I'm wondering why South didn't show that six-card club suit. On a take-out double North should be showing 4 Spades and 4 or 5 clubs, which means NS have 10+ between them. Plus NS have shortages in the opponents' suits. So I'd be bidding 4C on that hand.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Was North's initial double for take-out or showing strength? Because I'm wondering why South didn't show that six-card club suit. On a take-out double North should be showing 4 Spades and 4 or 5 clubs, which means NS have 10+ between them. Plus NS have shortages in the opponents' suits. So I'd be bidding 4C on that hand.
I don't agree with this. Finding a major suit fit is top priority. I would double with a 4-4-3-2 distribution and expect partner to bid a 4-card major before a 5 or 6 card club suit. 4C has to play two tricks better than spades to be worth playing in. 3S making outscores 4C making. If partner does bid 2C, that will usually be at least a 5-2 fit, which is fine. Occasionally it will be a 4-2 fit, but the risk is worth it because of the opportunity to find a major fit.

On the lead, like others I would lead QS at the table but suspect KD is right when presented as a problem.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't agree with this. Finding a major suit fit is top priority. I would double with a 4-4-3-2 distribution
On a balanced hand I'd be bidding 1NT with sufficient points or passing otherwise. But then I'd be taking the double as a take-out double and expecting partner to have at least 4 clubs (but maybe 3). It looks like the opponents have a double fit in Hearts and Diamonds.

With your style of bidding, I think South should double, this time showing Spades and Clubs and leaving the choice to partner and it would not surprise me if NS could make 3NT if North has stoppers in Diamonds and Hearts.

As for the 4C bid, I am bidding to the level of the presumed fit. I am assuming you have 4 clubs and with 6 of my own, can bid at the 4 level.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

I suppose the bidding could have gone differently. But I think the key is that West showed no support for hearts.

Here's the full deal:
SPOILER:

West:

♤: AT76
♡: J8
♢: AJ9654
♧: Q

++++

North:

♤: K983
♡: AKQ
♢: QT32
♧: 98

++++

East:

♤: 2
♡: T765432
♢: 7
♧: AKT7

++++

South:

++++

As you can see, the lead of the 9 of hearts defeats the game contract in East. North follows with a second round of hearts, and East cannot ruff a club loser. When I declared I got a club lead and making 10 tricks was easy. Take the club queen, cash the spade Ace, ruff a spade, then ruff a club. The opps get only the top 3 trumps.

Of course it is possible that one or both of the unfortunate Easts misplayed the hand. I don't know for sure they suffered the heart lead and continuation. But I would think the card play for declarer is mostly very easy once the cards come down. After any other opening lead but the 9 of hearts, 10 tricks for East are cold.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Yes, on that North hand, I'm bidding 1NT, not doubling. It's the least lie.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
On a balanced hand I'd be bidding 1NT with sufficient points or passing otherwise.
Passing is dangerous in the modern world where LHO may jack up the bidding with a preemptive 3D bid. You are in danger of missing your major suit fit. Also, you might have enough points for 1NT but no diamond stop, so you would want to double to avoid getting shut out of the auction.
Quote:
But then I'd be taking the double as a take-out double and expecting partner to have at least 4 clubs (but maybe 3). It looks like the opponents have a double fit in Hearts and Diamonds.

With your style of bidding, I think South should double, this time showing Spades and Clubs and leaving the choice to partner
If you mean a double of the 1H bid, most people play that as penalties. However, if you play double as responsive, it is a reasonable bid on this hand and would tend to suggest longer clubs than spades.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As you can see, the lead of the 9 of hearts defeats the game contract in East.
Edgar Kaplan once said "there is a special place in hell reserved for partners who lead singleton trumps."
Old 06-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Edgar Kaplan once said "there is a special place in hell reserved for partners who lead singleton trumps."
It's a standard lead against a suit contract, especially one which you suspect will be made on a cross-ruff.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's a standard lead against a suit contract, especially one which you suspect will be made on a cross-ruff.
There are certainly situations where a trump lead is called for, and Karen Walker describes them well here. However, read to the bottom where you will come across
Quote:
A few warnings: When in doubt, avoid leading a trump if you hold:

A singleton trump.
Unless there is specifically a good reason, singleton trump leads are generally not advised, and are certainly not standard. More examples:

Australian expert Ron Klinger:
Quote:
Do not lead a singleton trump (partner may have three or four, and your lead may destroy a potential trick or two in partnerís hand
Or here:
Quote:
When none of the above conditions are present, seriously consider NOT leading a trump, especially with a singleton which often costs partner a trump trick.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Here are two hands from this week where I got it wrong in the bidding. I was partnering with one of the best players in the club. We play together just a few times a year, and our bidding is SA with a few conventions. Matchpoints scoring.

Hand 1: Sitting East, none vulnerable. West dealer. My hand:

♤: AQ987
♡: QJT976
♢: T

The bidding:

W: P
N: 1NT (15 to 17)
E (me): 2♡ ( Brozel, showing hearts and spades - alerted)
S: 2 NT (this came after a request to explain the alert and then a long pause)
N: P
E:?

What would you bid?

◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊

Hand 2: Sitting East. N/S vul. South dealer. I receive this:

♤: AK
♡: VOID
♢: AJ96432
♧: T765

The bidding:

S: P
W: 1♡
E (me): 2♢
W: 6♢!
E: ?

What would you bid?

Last edited by Biotop; 06-24-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:31 AM

I'll take a shot at this:

Hand 1 - My read of South's 2NT is that he has Heart strength (with a shortage in Hearts he could double, so maybe something like a 3-4-3-3 9-count). So you have a minority of the points and no Heart fit. Pass. 2NT may well be making, but 3S* is unlikely to be a good save.

Hand 2 - Even if he has a 22-count, partner can't be sure you have DA. And he's prepared to play 6D without it, so the choice is between 7D and 7NT. You have SA to cover his Spade void (if he had Spade and Diamond losers, he would have asked for aces), but he may well be relying on your trumps to ruff his Hearts good, so 7NT is too risky. Possible hand for partner is S - H AKxxxxx D KQxxx C A

What happened at the table?
Old 06-24-2017, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here are two hands from this week where I got it wrong in the bidding. I was partnering with one of the best players in the club. We play together just a few times a year, and our bidding is SA with a few conventions. Matchpoints scoring.

Hand 1: Sitting East, none vulnerable. West dealer. My hand:

♤: AQ987
♡: QJT976
♢: T

The bidding:

N: 1NT (15 to 17)
E (me): 2♡ ( Brozel, showing hearts and spades - alerted)
S: 2 NT (this came after a request to explain the alert and then a long pause)
E:?

What would you bid?
3H. It could make with very little from partner and at worst will not go far down.

Quote:
Hand 2: Sitting East. N/S vul. South dealer. I receive this:

♤: AK
♢: AJ96432
♧: T765

The bidding:

W: 1♡
E (me): 2♢
W: 6♢!
E: ?

What would you bid?
8D. Partner has bid 6 missing two aces, so I can add two tricks. More seriously, it is likely that partner is void in spades but even so, I think I have enough to bid 7D. Partner could have solid hearts, in which case 7NT will make, but they might need ruffing good. Making any grand slam in a club game will be good, even if there is a higher-scoring slam making.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Making any grand slam in a club game will be good, even if there is a higher-scoring slam making.
Quoting myself. This is a lesson that was reinforced painfully yesterday. x AKJx AKQTxxx A. Three passes to me. I am strong enough to open 2C but it can be tough to find a 4-4 heart fit after the bidding starts 2C - 2D - 3D. Holding a singleton spade, there is little danger of 1D being passed out, so that is what I opened. Bingo - partner responded 1H. Now 4NT (RKCB) - 5C (1 or 4) - 5D (have you QH?) - 5S (yes, and KS). I bid 7NT. Partner had a singleton diamond and they broke 4-1. 7H is cold. 7H would have scored 92% 7NT scored 8% (we were the only ones in it). So I threw away 84% trying to gain another 8% 7NT needs to be 92% or better to be worth bidding, not the 73% it was.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Huh? 7NT always scores more than 7H. Unless you went one off.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Huh? 7NT always scores more than 7H. Unless you went one off.
I did. That was the implication of my saying that diamonds broke 4-1. Playing in hearts, you ruff the diamonds good.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

I've been taking lessons from someone who played for Scotland recently. One of the things he said is that in pairs you should be happy with a 60% contract. Going for a top - 100% - risks getting a bottom and if you look at the results tables you'll see that the winning pairs are usually in the 60%-70% range.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been taking lessons from someone who played for Scotland recently. One of the things he said is that in pairs you should be happy with a 60% contract. Going for a top - 100% - risks getting a bottom and if you look at the results tables you'll see that the winning pairs are usually in the 60%-70% range.
Exactly. That's why I was dumb to bid 7NT. In a club game any grand is likely to score you more than 70% In the unlikely event I was playing in the Cavendish pairs, then I would expect pretty much every pair to get to a grand, and bidding 7NT now becomes a worthwhile shot. In our club game, if I had bid 7H on this hand, we would have won.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll take a shot at this:

Hand 1 - My read of South's 2NT is that he has Heart strength (with a shortage in Hearts he could double, so maybe something like a 3-4-3-3 9-count). So you have a minority of the points and no Heart fit. Pass. 2NT may well be making, but 3S* is unlikely to be a good save.

Hand 2 - Even if he has a 22-count, partner can't be sure you have DA. And he's prepared to play 6D without it, so the choice is between 7D and 7NT. You have SA to cover his Spade void (if he had Spade and Diamond losers, he would have asked for aces), but he may well be relying on your trumps to ruff his Hearts good, so 7NT is too risky. Possible hand for partner is S - H AKxxxxx D KQxxx C A

What happened at the table?

Hand 1: I fell in love with my hand. I figured I had both majors, with my AQ of spades sitting over the King. I also liked my intermediary 987 of spades. My hearts were not bad either, missing the top two, but nothing else. So I bid 3 hearts, thinking partner might correct to 3 spades. Partner, and everyone else passed.

South:

♤: T6543
♡: A53
♢: K2
♧: JT4

West (partner)
♤: 2
♢: QJ7653
♧: K97652

North:
♤: KJ
♡: K842
♢: A984
♧: A83

I kept it somehow to only down 1, but most Norths were held to 6 or 7 tricks total in No trump.

I should have passed.

Hand 2:

I stewed a bit and passed.Wrong. merrick has analyzed it correctly.

Partner had:

♤: VOID
♡: AQ643
♢: KQT8
♧: AKJ2

7 diamonds is cold. I should have figured on partner's spade void. Some teams found the grand. I did not.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:15 AM

Trying not to be too rude about your partner, but if he's going to jump to 6D on hands like that, I can understand your hesitation. Sure, he can see 12 tricks if you have either AD or KH, but the 6D bid is telling you that AD is the only card he cares about.
On another day you'd raise to 7D on S KQx H Jx D AJxxx C xxx and it would not end well.
Given that opponents were silent, surely it would have been better to take a few rounds to find out more about the hand?
Old 06-25-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Trying not to be too rude about your partner, but if he's going to jump to 6D on hands like that, I can understand your hesitation. Sure, he can see 12 tricks if you have either AD or KH, but the 6D bid is telling you that AD is the only card he cares about.
On another day you'd raise to 7D on S KQx H Jx D AJxxx C xxx and it would not end well.
Given that opponents were silent, surely it would have been better to take a few rounds to find out more about the hand?
I agree slam exploration could probably do no harm and might have made it clearer. If In this particular case my hand was strong enough to go on to 7 after the bidding sequence that occurred I think.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree slam exploration could probably do no harm and might have made it clearer. If In this particular case my hand was strong enough to go on to 7 after the bidding sequence that occurred I think.
Yes. Partner is showing (but doesn't have) a one loser hand: Amarone's analysis in post 189 is spot on.

And the other hand is partner's fault too. Having one card in the majors... what a bad partner!
Old 06-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Here's a hand I got badly wrong. I held S- HAKQxxx DAKQxx CAx. I opened 2C and over partner's 2D response bid 4H, which partner passed. Partner held no points but had HTxxxxx and 7H was cold, being able to ruff my losing club in dummy.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here's a hand I got badly wrong. I held S- HAKQxxx DAKQxx CAx. I opened 2C and over partner's 2D response bid 4H, which partner passed. Partner held no points but had HTxxxxx and 7H was cold, being able to ruff my losing club in dummy.
There doesn't seem to be any rush to jump to game. If you are playing traditional Acol, 2H is forcing to game, so I would start with that, planning to bid diamonds twice if I don't get support in order to show the two-suiter. I suspect you will never get to 7H, but 6H looks achievable. If you bid 2H and partner raises, slam now looks good opposite zero points, just needing diamonds to come in or be able to ruff them good in dummy.