Old 01-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Subnautica

Anyone playing? The official full release of this long time early access game starts tomorrow, though you can play the game with the current engine now, if you own it. I think the only things missing are the end game content that will be patched in tomorrow.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 01-22-2018, 02:16 PM

I'm waiting for the full release tomorrow before I jump back in the water. I've held off for...nine months now to see the end of the story, because I want the full effect, rather than just puttering around the Shallows or running from all the leviathans.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:38 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
I'm waiting for the full release tomorrow before I jump back in the water. I've held off for...nine months now to see the end of the story, because I want the full effect, rather than just puttering around the Shallows or running from all the leviathans.
My understanding (and this is backed up in my own playthrough so far) is that everything is in the game with this build except the final content (basically, I think you can't build the rocket to escape at this point). That's why I started playing again...the game is essentially done at this point. Though I can see wanting to wait until tomorrow since you've waited 9 months. However, I can assure you that there is a ton more in the game even now than just puttering around the shallows and dodging leviathans.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:03 PM

Any tips on progressing quickly? At some point, I had a lot of low utility materiel and not much of an idea of what to do for my equipment, exploration and habitats to really pick up.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:13 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
Any tips on progressing quickly? At some point, I had a lot of low utility materiel and not much of an idea of what to do for my equipment, exploration and habitats to really pick up.
Myself, I built a small base near the close thermal vent and went for the Seamoth early on. That's the biggest quick start from my perspective. Then get exploring for blueprints and datasets. I focused on the high capacity tanks and rebreather. Personally, I haven't found it much use but a lot of folks swear by the scanner and HUD chip. One thing I had a lot of trouble in my current game was that locations changed for parts, especially for the Cyclops, which I had a hard time finding all the pieces (only just did actually last night).

I'd also make an early trek to the floating island to explore the abandoned base and get your farm going as well as some good blueprints for building out your habitat. Having the farm going in your base makes things a hell of a lot easier, plus it will set you up for making your Cyclops the mobile base it should be.

I have to admit, I'm totally enjoying the game (again). I had finished all you could play about a year ago and had basically refrained from playing again until final release. I was going to do what Chisquirrel mentioned and not touch it until the official release, but I read some stuff on the latest release and it looks like everything is in except the final end game stuff.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:14 PM

I got this a while ago but shelved it because they were still adding content and I didn't think I'd really be into playing through it twice. Really looking forward to going through it now that it's done.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I last played it in June, and made it to the underwater volcano zone. It's gorgeous and fun, but some of the stuff felt too clunky: piloting the Cyclops through the underground channels wasn't so much fun as it was frustrating. I'm hoping that's a little bit easier now.

Never did get a great farm going, so maybe that'll be a mission for me for the new game.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

I tried to start playing it, even starting fresh to get the complete experience. (Though I still have my save with my kick-ass base and crazy stunts like scanning the sea dragon leviathan.) Unfortunately, the one change I can attest to in the release version is that, unlike the last build I played, it triggers the nasty crash bug that plagues games on my laptop. I'm not going to be able to play it until I get a new PC, which will be very soon now.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the heads-up; I just bought it. It sounds like something I'd really enjoy.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I've held off for...nine months now to see the end of the story, because I want the full effect, rather than just puttering around the Shallows or running from all the leviathans.
Does this game have a concrete structure to it, or is it more like you do your own thing and incidentally discover story stuff along the way?
Old 01-24-2018, 03:02 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Does this game have a concrete structure to it, or is it more like you do your own thing and incidentally discover story stuff along the way?
Well, trying to avoid spoilers, you could play it as a total sandbox, but there is a pretty tight storyline involved with how and why you were stranded on the ocean world. It's actually a pretty interesting story, and if you really want to dig in you can read a lot of the stuff you find in the database as you explore the world...or you can just follow the bones of the story by sort of following the breadcrumbs.

Myself, I play it a lot like I play a Fallout game...I basically explore and do my own thing but occasionally I'll follow the story. This game has gotten really good about throwing down that trail of breadcrumbs that leads you to more interesting things to explore.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:08 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Duplicate

Last edited by XT; 01-24-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Myself, I play it a lot like I play a Fallout game...I basically explore and do my own thing but occasionally I'll follow the story.
I think I play Fallout in the inverse way - I follow the story but occasionally get distracted and wander off to do my own thing. Do you think Subnautica has a strong enough story component for that playstyle?
Old 01-24-2018, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think I play Fallout in the inverse way - I follow the story but occasionally get distracted and wander off to do my own thing. Do you think Subnautica has a strong enough story component for that playstyle?
Comparing these two really brings something home for me. They have a lot of similarities, and a lot of differences, but only one difference matters to me.

Subnautica's color palette is all blues and greens, with brilliant flashes of yellows and reds, and sub-notes of other colors.

Fallout is brown, brown, brown, plus more brown, and some gray thrown in to liven things up.

I love playing Subnautica. Fallout makes me want to drink myself to sleep.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:36 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
You can totally stick to the story and story-driven action, though unlike with Fallout you will have to do quite a bit on your own regardless. You will, for instance, have to establish a base because many of the mid and late game things you have to do depend on building at least one base for yourself, and you'll need certain things to explore the deeper depths. How you go about building your base and what you decide to put in it is largely up to you, but you have to have one with a few things in it at a minimum (a vehicle upgrade station with moonpool and item modification station, for instance). But they have done a great job of bringing in a really interesting and compelling story, IMHO, and one that takes you from place to place as you follow what happened to your ship initially and what's going on.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:41 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Comparing these two really brings something home for me. They have a lot of similarities, and a lot of differences, but only one difference matters to me.

Subnautica's color palette is all blues and greens, with brilliant flashes of yellows and reds, and sub-notes of other colors.

Fallout is brown, brown, brown, plus more brown, and some gray thrown in to liven things up.

I love playing Subnautica. Fallout makes me want to drink myself to sleep.
Yeah, aside from how fun the game is, it's a beautiful world that's really hard to describe to someone who hasn't played it. There are a lot of similar aspects to the Fallout games, but as you say there are some really big differences. Unlike most games in this genre, water isn't an afterthought but it's the primary medium you are adventuring in, so obviously one key difference is oxygen and having enough to stay alive. It's hard to describe to someone what it's like being deep inside a piece of wreckage hundreds of meters down and starting to panic because you aren't sure how to get back out...all the while your oxygen timer is ticking down slowly but inexorably, and suddenly you get a warning...30 seconds of oxygen left...

Old 01-24-2018, 05:22 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

If anyone is interested, here is the (new) trailer for the game.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:04 PM

Well, I started it back up after watching about 20 minutes of the shitshow of a "launch". There were more cringe moments in that 20 minutes than in a full hour of Jacked Up segments - topped off by a host chugging an entire glass of wine right on camera.

As for the game, it's as beautiful as ever. I'm making a point to avoid any wikis/walkthroughs/"cheating" for resources, maps, creatures, wrecks, fragments, etc. The scenery is still terrifyingly beautiful. I noticed the bottom of the moon getting blurry, so I wandered there when the sun came up, and SURPRISE! Granted, I know most of the story up to going deep, and there's very few baddies that I haven't seen, but there's still plenty of tension to make you nervous. Throw in a "Low Oxygen" warning that you weren't expecting shortly after the music changes, and you can get a little jumpy. It's definitely very open-ended - you can pretty much ignore the story entirely (not that there's any side quests or anything to get distracted with, the main plot is pretty much the only story, with one exception). There's several square kilometers of area to explore, with multiple levels and basebuilding.

It's been a joyous journey so far, and I'm excited to see how the story and changes play out.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:41 PM

I take that back. Shit shit shit shit shit wtf was that?
Old 01-25-2018, 04:48 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
I take that back. Shit shit shit shit shit wtf was that?
Reaper got your tongue?

Old 01-28-2018, 03:37 AM

Nah, I have a good idea where they tend to roam, plus I keep my head on a swivel. Besides that, they can't corner for crap and give up pretty quickly. The one roaming around the mountain island was more tenacious than I remember, which made for a clencher when I turned to make sure I was safely away.

I got a visit from some ghosty thing. Freaked me out.

In other news Aquarius I, my first Seamoth, was bashed to death by sand sharks. That sucker had a full MK3 depth compensator and everything.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:31 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
In other news Aquarius I, my first Seamoth, was bashed to death by sand sharks. That sucker had a full MK3 depth compensator and everything.
Do you also have the perimeter defense system?
Old 01-28-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Do you also have the perimeter defense system?
Aquarius I did not. I hadn't gotten deep enough to grab the necessary materials yet.

Aquarius II (Murderer of Sharks) has one, and it's getting one heck of a workout. The only things that don't get made dead are the jellyfish Martians and leviathans.

Speaking of, those ghost leviathans are kinda creepy. Even more so when you accidentally wander into the void.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:44 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

I think I'm fairly close to the end of the game, but for the life of me, I can't find the blueprints for the hatching enzymes. I must be missing something. Other than that, it's been a pretty fun playthrough and I'm having a blast.

Supposedly a group of modders is working on a multi-player version, so it will be interesting to see how that comes out. The game devs are also supposedly working on the first paid DLC for the game as well.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:54 PM

I just checked out the disease research facility, and now I have to go deeper. I remember the way down (kind of), but I don't have any vehicle that can dive past 900 meters. I have MOST of what I need to build another tier of the Cyclops depth module, but I can't remember where I found the other three nickel ores I've used so far in this game, so it's treasure hunting time!

I loaded up Titan I (all vehicles get iteration values - it's not a question of IF they 'splode, but when) with everything I needed to build a scanner room, multipurpose room, bioreactor, hatch, and a couple foundations, and I'm heading down. No luck so far in the grand reef or the jellyshroom caves, so I think I'm going to wander over to the koosh zone and look around. Also, silent running suuuuuuuuuucks down power cells like nobody's business - left Titan I sitting nearby while I ran into the DRF with Aquarius II. Came back to a power level less than a tenth of what I left with - and no little power suckers stuck to the side. Finally sorted it out with some experimentation.

I've enjoyed the game more than ever on this playthrough, mostly because I don't know where everything is. Sure, I have some good ideas, but without any wiki help, I can't be sure. I'm definitely loving it again.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:23 AM

I played this game a ton a while back, but nothing is where it was before. It just took me a good half hour to find the two diamonds I needed for the laser cutter. Though in the process I found a bunch of other good materials I can't do anything with yet.

And just now a reefback with two tiger plants on it somehow wedged itself directly under my moon room. Now any time I try to go in or out that way not only do I get shot up, but my base takes damage and starts filling with water.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:32 PM

I might have to relocate my base. If I can sneak my seamoth past the reefback, it will usually be gone by the time I get back. However, it’ll show up again in 20 minutes or so.

Go home, Reefback, you’re drunk!
Old 01-31-2018, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

I've had my eye on this one for a while.

Does this game feature cool sea creatures?

Exactly how stressful is it?
Old 01-31-2018, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I should clarify. Is this a constant battle for survival in hostile terrain, or more exploration at your own pace? It's clear there are some tense moments, but are they central to the game, or only occasional?
Old 01-31-2018, 02:05 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
I should clarify. Is this a constant battle for survival in hostile terrain, or more exploration at your own pace? It's clear there are some tense moments, but are they central to the game, or only occasional?
It's more exploration at your pace. There are large parts of the ocean where it's just peaceful, or where there might be some predator but they aren't that dangerous. Even the really big stuff you can get away from usual, though that's where the really tense moments come from (not always...there was this one time I was exploring a dark cave without a light and crab thingies were terrifying me). And, in fact, there isn't any way to really fight, so if you are looking for a combat game this definitely isn't it. You get a knife, which can help drive some stuff away, and later you get a gravity gun that can either pull stuff towards you and throw it or pushes them away. Oh, and late game you get an underwater exosuit which can punch and has a drill that can be useful. But it's not a fighting game. It's a survival game (mainly early on when you have to find food and water, and of course, not run out of oxygen while diving and die) with exploration.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:07 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel
Does this game feature cool sea creatures?
Yeah, there are a ton of really cool (IMHO) sea creatures. Here is the Subnautic fauna page from their Wiki if you want to take a look.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT
It's more exploration at your pace.
Quote:
Yeah, there are a ton of really cool (IMHO) sea creatures. Here is the Subnautic fauna page from their Wiki if you want to take a look.
Oh, I am so in.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:35 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
Oh, I am so in.
Well, let us know what you think if you decide to play. And feel free to ask questions or for help if needs be, though there are tons of videos on the game out there for help as well. The real fun though, IMHO, is just exploring around and seeing the sights.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:30 PM

I've been very addicted to this game for a little over a week now... but I'm stuck on finding magnetite.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:33 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I've been very addicted to this game for a little over a week now... but I'm stuck on finding magnetite.
I'll spoiler the anser:

SPOILER:
Have you been into the mushroom cavern with the old base wreck? IIRC, there is some there. Also, at the start of the lost river area, there is a bunch. And on the island with the alien gun installation, I think there is some in the underwater volcanos.

It is a seriously addictive game. And the end game is pretty cool from what I understand, though I still haven't managed to find the formula for the hatching enzyme. From what I can tell, I think my game is bugged as I should have it, so I may need to reload and start a new game. I never uninstalled the original game and I've just let it do updates for the past year or so, and I guess that can cause some issues with some people.

Last edited by XT; 01-31-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:15 PM

I've pretty much reached the point the game was at when I left, thought I had never dove this far at the time. I have some more crafting stuff to do (MUST GO DEEPER), and some updating to do - new power cells, and more of them, plus some upgrades for Titan I. Then we'll wander on down and play dodge the leviathans some more.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
It is a seriously addictive game. And the end game is pretty cool from what I understand, though I still haven't managed to find the formula for the hatching enzyme. From what I can tell, I think my game is bugged as I should have it, so I may need to reload and start a new game. I never uninstalled the original game and I've just let it do updates for the past year or so, and I guess that can cause some issues with some people.
Since I just got the formula, I'll spoiler when I received it:

SPOILER:

Has the sea emperor cleared the aquarium arch yet? After scanning the incubator, she gave a speech about setting her children free, blah blah blah, then shortly thereafter blew all the sand away from the arch. After putting yet another ion cube in the portal, she made another speech and I received the formula.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Since I just got the formula, I'll spoiler when I received it:

SPOILER:

Has the sea emperor cleared the aquarium arch yet? After scanning the incubator, she gave a speech about setting her children free, blah blah blah, then shortly thereafter blew all the sand away from the arch. After putting yet another ion cube in the portal, she made another speech and I received the formula.
Yup, all that...but she never triggers the sand part and just keeps swimming around. I'm pretty sure my game is bugged as I said. I haven't nuked it to start over yet, but I probably will this weekend.

That said, this is still an awesome game and I want to emphasize that this bug is probably my own fault. I should have blown the game out and reloaded when they went to their full production version, and I didn't do that.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I'll spoiler the anser:

SPOILER:
XT's hints on where to find magnetite
I found the first, and ventured in with a default Seamoth. Drove it down to its crush depth, then swam the rest of the way. Finally managed to find some- boy, they're hard to see down there. Now that I've got three scanner upgrades installed, I'm able to start farming the various wrecks around the area- I just wish there was an easy way to tag a wreck as "empty" once I've cleared it out.

Last edited by Lightnin'; 02-01-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post
I found the first, and ventured in with a default Seamoth. Drove it down to its crush depth, then swam the rest of the way. Finally managed to find some- boy, they're hard to see down there. Now that I've got three scanner upgrades installed, I'm able to start farming the various wrecks around the area- I just wish there was an easy way to tag a wreck as "empty" once I've cleared it out.
Use beacons. They're wonderful for EVERYTHING. Find a cave down to the grand reef or jellyshroom cave? Well, drop a beacon for the next time. See a wreck on walkabout but don't have time to explore because you're low on food? Beacon, of course! Found a biome that's crawling with reapers? BEACON!
Old 02-03-2018, 12:18 AM

I finished the storyline, and it hits every single point I could love about the game. I reloaded to right before the launch and decided to build a massive naval yard in the middle of the dunes. Titan I is loaded with Amphitrite I and roughly 50 lockers of different minerals. Right now, I'm strip-mining areas of relevant material - quartz, titanium, and lithium, working from the grand reef over towards the crash zone. After that, the plan is to skim along the surface to avoid reapers before dropping straight down in a "safe" area to build up a base. If pictures are posted, I managed to complete it. If not...well, a reaper got me.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:39 PM

Just finished the game yesterday. Fantastic! Loved the exploration and the sense of progression. That is, you start dying on a liferaft and by the end are piloting a huge submarine.

One little problem I ran into at the end:
SPOILER:
I freed the baby Sea Emperors and knew I'd have to get the enzyme from them. But I didn't follow them through the gate because I had to grab the Cyclops.

The mother said they'd be swimming in the shallows, but they weren't there. Eventually I looked up what happened and they're scattered around the area, but honestly still hard to find. Eventually I found one with help from a post, and followed it around for a while, but still no enzyme.

I finally found it when I searched for the gate exit. It was still hard to spot, and had to go back a second time, but there were little bubbles of enzyme floating nearby that cured me. I guess the babies dropped it when they went through.

They probably could have made that part a tiny bit more straightforward--made the juveniles drop additional enzyme (like they're supposed to), or something along those lines.
A minor complaint is that the food+water thing gets a little annoying late game. It's part of the charm early on, but after a while it's like ugh, I have to go fishing again. The stillsuit fixes this partly, as does the water filter, but I think it would be nice to have a nutrient block processor that harvests automatically.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
A minor complaint is that the food+water thing gets a little annoying late game. It's part of the charm early on, but after a while it's like ugh, I have to go fishing again. The stillsuit fixes this partly, as does the water filter, but I think it would be nice to have a nutrient block processor that harvests automatically.
Doesn't freedom mode do away with food and water requirements? There's creative mode too if someone wants to get to exploring quickly.
http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Modes

Does the map or elements within the map change from one session to the next or is it always the same?
Old 02-04-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Doesn't freedom mode do away with food and water requirements? There's creative mode too if someone wants to get to exploring quickly.
http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Modes

Does the map or elements within the map change from one session to the next or is it always the same?
The terrain/flora/fauna are the same in every mode. Mineral deposits, however, are randomized for every game.

As for the food/water fun - try farming for it. Grab some plants (especially off the islands) and you can farm them, eating some for nourishment and replanting the rest. Marblemelons, chinese potatoes, and bulbo trees are all great for this. A single grow bed provides for all your needs, and fits in the Cyclops.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:43 PM

Hmm--didn't realize you could stuff a grow bed in the Cyclops. Still, that's a bit annoying since you still have to carry food on "dungeon" runs, and the farmed crops are big and not very nourishing.

I liked the way Empyrion handled this. As you farmed a greater variety of crops, you could cook them into a variety of long-lasting and high-calorie foods. You didn't have to do this, but it was an encouragement to build a nice farm setup. Subnautica's crafting system for food is pretty limited.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Doesn't freedom mode do away with food and water requirements?
Yeah, and I started a second savegame in that mode. But I think the survival aspect is a worthwhile aspect in the early game, just that after a while it turns into a chore. I'd still recommend playing in survival mode for the first game, but think they could do some fine tuning there.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:36 PM

When this goes on a sale ill pick it up danTDM has been playing this off and on for a week streaming it live ........

Just a q tho does the ship that says its going to rescue you ever show up or does it just send those FNAF style messages the whole game ?
Old 02-04-2018, 07:41 PM

Wouldn't want to say too much as it would be a spoiler, but you do ultimately make it off the planet, and there is a resolution to the rescue ship broadcasts.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Yeah, and I started a second savegame in that mode. But I think the survival aspect is a worthwhile aspect in the early game, just that after a while it turns into a chore. I'd still recommend playing in survival mode for the first game, but think they could do some fine tuning there.
There's a console command (available on the wiki) that you can use to change the game mode. I guess my dungeon dives don't last too long, as I generally have time to head back, given I usually take Titan I along for the ride for easy recharge/repair/storage.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:38 PM

It certainly helps once you get the Cyclops. That took a while for me, though upon playing a second game I've been more ambitious about finding blueprints, and it's sped everything up by quite a bit. Will probably get it within 6 hours instead of the 30ish that it took the first time.

I never died from lack of food+water, it's just that they cut short some exploration that would have been otherwise relaxing. The once time it almost caused a problem was for the one timed "mission", and I ended up having to head home, stock up, and then back just in the nick of time. Probably should have prepared better; oh well.