Old 02-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
It took me awhile to figure out how to make water with bleach, I think. Or maybe it was the computer chip. Looking at the Wiki, it seems pretty obvious what to do. Maybe my confusion was in an early access/beta version of the game? Or maybe I'm a goober. The problem definitely involved figuring out which kind of coral I needed to harvest.
It was definitely less clear early on, and "coral tube sample" versus "table coral" remained a bit confusing. I think there was also a time when bleach was the only route to making drinking water, compounding the problem. Once you could rely on bladderfish until you got a base and farm going, it became much easier. (Once my base was set up, fruit from my farms handled most hydration, though I also kept a locker full of water bottles for expeditions and convenience.)

I think I will write up the "shopping list" tooltip suggestion and send it to the devs. Maybe it will even get patched into the original game, if they decide to implement it.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:35 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I admit to not playing the game in a little while once I had to get into the underground tunnel. It was immensely difficult to do so and once in it I couldn't figure out where to go or what to do, and couldn't find any cool resources that made me want to stick around.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I admit to not playing the game in a little while once I had to get into the underground tunnel. It was immensely difficult to do so and once in it I couldn't figure out where to go or what to do, and couldn't find any cool resources that made me want to stick around.
SPOILER:
You mean the Lost River? The deep zone with the green-glowy brine "rivers" and falls? At that point, you should have had breadcrumbs from the alien data pointing toward more installations to look for in the deeps, where you might find a way to shut down the weapon and escape the planet. So, basically, you were looking for alien bases down there. (Although you would also need to find materials in the deep zones to craft upgrades to reach some of them.)
Old 02-11-2019, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

Minor Below Zero update: my mission to utterly break the game continues to progress. Currently stuck in a hole at the bottom of the sea with a rock. (But it wasn't a rock, it was a rock...lobster!)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Minor Below Zero update: my mission to utterly break the game continues to progress. Currently stuck in a hole at the bottom of the sea with a rock. (But it wasn't a rock, it was a rock...lobster!)
Have you gotten the crafting recipes for matching towels and baking potatoes?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
We’re you trying to get an ear lobe sample?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
We’re you trying to get an ear lobe sample?
Already sent that off, just before my motion in the ocean broke my air hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Have you gotten the crafting recipes for matching towels and baking potatoes?
No, but the sea Robin has definitely arrived.

What actually happened: I walked back into the water after visiting an island to do a story-advancing thing...and kept walking. The game didn't register that I was in the water, and going back on land and jumping in again didnt' fix it, so I just walked along the bottom for a bit. I fell into a steep-sided pit in a dark/hazy area, and couldn't climb back out (because the game expects you to be swimming there). A crustaceous critter called a "rock puncher", which looks kind of like a cross between a lobster and a mantis shrimp, was trapped in the pit with me.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:59 PM

I'm trying out Subzero as well and overall I think it's pretty good. Finding a lot of bugs, reporting them but sometimes I don't know if it's a bug or it's supposed to be that way. Like the 'beacon' from supply drops, the one with the parachute. It keeps disappearing once I get withing like 100m of it. Also a lot of barren areas. Can't tell if they're supposed to be barren or if it's just awaiting further updates. I did find a really awesome huge fish skeleton but sadly could do nothing with it.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSoft View Post
Like the 'beacon' from supply drops, the one with the parachute. It keeps disappearing once I get withing like 100m of it. Also a lot of barren areas. Can't tell if they're supposed to be barren or if it's just awaiting further updates. I did find a really awesome huge fish skeleton but sadly could do nothing with it.
I think the beacons are supposed to fade when you get close to the target (so they're not in your face when you're trying to do something), but they shouldn't fade that far out. I've also seen a beacon that's more like a waypoint--it points at a beach, but its label is for something that's way up on the island.

I think we can expect most of the barren areas to be filled with stuff as updates happen. The terrain gets built long before it gets populated with stuff. One of the things I broke led to some...unsanctioned explorations, and there's a lot of unfinished territory in the game.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
Yep, it's not that big an issue but when I went on Nexus mods and saw a mod that would make the blips size by distance, it was the first one I installed. Forget better visuals, forget more upgrades for the subs, that one.
Thank you! I installed this mod over the weekend, and it was exactly what I wanted. It made the blips smaller when they're far away, and puts a range value on them when you get close. Makes it much easier to decide which targets to track down first. It also gives you a handy toggle function, so you can stop foraging for your target material without having to go back & turn off the scanner room. I didn't notice any performance hit either, and I tested with some common targets (limestone, salt, quartz) to get plenty of blips. Highly recommended.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:50 PM

So I haven't had too much time to play, but should have a bunch today. Spoilering my situation...

SPOILER:
I have two bases, one right at the start and one 200 meters down just off the crash site. I have just completed my Cyclops and am preparing to explore the real depths.

I'm thinking the next place I should go is that containment facility I learned about after searching the big gun building. Supposedly I can learn more about this infection there, and I finally feel prepared for the journey.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:31 PM

Hot damn, the deep is SPOOKY! I found what I was looking for, but was missing a certain item required to enter... I will be building a base down there to harvest all the unique deepwater resources and to prepare a breach.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
Hot damn, the deep is SPOOKY! I found what I was looking for, but was missing a certain item required to enter... I will be building a base down there to harvest all the unique deepwater resources and to prepare a breach.
It's reasonably easy to make a little auxiliary base down there, at least if you site it near a good thermal source. I made a temporary one, but I found I never used it, so I deconstructed it to use the materials on my palatial digs above the jellyshroom caves. My Cyclops was entirely self-sufficient by that point; I had an on-board grow bed, chargers, and fabricators. With a thermal generator, I just had to park over a hot spot to recharge occasionally.

If you build a deep base as a harvesting hub, it's probably worthwhile to put a scanner room on it. (You can always deconstruct the scanner room and rebuild it anywhere you want.)
Old 02-15-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
If you build a deep base as a harvesting hub, it's probably worthwhile to put a scanner room on it. (You can always deconstruct the scanner room and rebuild it anywhere you want.)
I don't remember if this is mentioned elsewhere, but it's entirely possible to fit all of the materials for a scanner room, hatch, and generator in any of the craft - portable scanner room for all your harvesting needs.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
I don't remember if this is mentioned elsewhere, but it's entirely possible to fit all of the materials for a scanner room, hatch, and generator in any of the craft - portable scanner room for all your harvesting needs.
Yeah, I enjoyed having a tiny cabinet on my Cyclops, and emptying the cabinet into my backpack, and using the contents of my backpack to build two rooms, an entry hatch, a power source, and a computer.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
It's a good idea, although you might need an extra storage module on the Seamoth:

Scanner room = 11 components, plus 2 more optional spots for range and speed upgrades.

Hatch = 3 components

Thermal Plant = 8. (Or bioreactor/solar panel = 5, but require on-site sunlight or fuel collection.)

So, it takes a minimum of 19 components for a basic scanner room kit, and up to 24 for a deluxe model. The Prawn suit locker holds 24, but the Seamoth storage module only holds 16, so you'd need an extra module on the Seamoth to hold it all--or you could just keep a few pieces in your inventory. (I also like stashing emergency supplies in all my vehicles, so that makes space for this a little tighter for me.)
Old 02-15-2019, 05:04 PM

I built myself a little base at the very bottom of a deep sea trench, near the entrance to a massive cavern filled with fossils. And one not so fossilized giant.... and the little tiny entry I built my base over isn't the way I came in, so I figure I can use the cavern to get around, eventually.

Meanwhile, I was faced with a new challenge here -- I needed power, and with no sun and no thermal vents nearby, I decided to go with a bioreactor. The trench is filled with a unique type of kelp, and I'm going to farm it around my base in order to keep the bioreactor running. Once I've got a little facility up and running, I'll head back into the cavern, armed with the necessary key.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Meanwhile, I was faced with a new challenge here -- I needed power, and with no sun and no thermal vents nearby, I decided to go with a bioreactor. The trench is filled with a unique type of kelp, and I'm going to farm it around my base in order to keep the bioreactor running. Once I've got a little facility up and running, I'll head back into the cavern, armed with the necessary key.
I found reginalds to be a very efficient fuel for my bioreactor, but it takes some setup to make them work; it's probably not worth it for a small outpost.

My main base included a 10-story high alien containment unit full of reginalds, which provided a steady source of both high-value food and reactor fuel, supplemented by gardens full of lantern fruit and melons. Like I said upthread, I'm kind of prone to overpreparation.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:29 PM

Am I the only one who finished the game with just one base? I mean, yes, I played no-food/water, but I still never felt the need for more than a single room in the shallows by the pod.

But then, I hate base building in general.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Am I the only one who finished the game with just one base? I mean, yes, I played no-food/water, but I still never felt the need for more than a single room in the shallows by the pod.

But then, I hate base building in general.
I only had one actual, fixed base, and that was because I like base building. I like building big, efficient, nice bases with lots of amenities, so I tore down the one little outpost base I made for more resources to upgrade the nice base. Moonpools, workshop, storerooms, aquariums, conservatory, lab, office, bedroom (with knicknacks, houseplants, and custom art on the walls), outdoor garden for my pets to play in....
Old 02-16-2019, 05:12 PM

My last complete playthrough used just a very minimal base (corridor, hatch, and solar panel) just to put a ton of lockers in for storing things.

My last run has been all about building a monster base in the Dunes. We're talking room for matched pairs of Seamoths, Cyclops, and Prawns, eight spires surrounding a larger (3x3) central spire, separate tanks for each biome, observation decks everywhere, and massive underwater gardens. And a bed.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:06 PM

I've decided to more thoroughly move into my Cyclops. Now that it can get 900 meters down, I am confident in being able to reach most places where I need a base, and go with the PRAWN suit from there.

I'll be setting up scanners, fabricators, and limited storage in each biome to make resource gathering a breeze, as well as power cell chargers, but I have the feeling that I'll be using my Cyclops a lot more from now on.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

More Below Zero shenanigans:
1) There be whales here!
2) I met an old friend in a new place and triggered some dialog that I probably shouldn't have.
3) I was disappointed in my inability to sit on a lilypad.
4) There are no leviathans in the void...yet.
5) Beyond the void, the world repeats the playfield biomes, but not the terrain/contents.
6) If you swim 8 kilometers away, the game dumps you back in the area where you exit the intro.

Quote:
I've decided to more thoroughly move into my Cyclops. Now that it can get 900 meters down, I am confident in being able to reach most places where I need a base, and go with the PRAWN suit from there.
You can do literally everything from your Cyclops, once you have it set up properly. It does carry a risk, however, as the Cyclops can be destroyed. If you've got everything on board, losing it can be a huge setback, which is one reason I kept a well-stocked base back in a safe area. I was prepared to build and kit out a complete new Cyclops at any time before I ventured into the end-game area.