Old 04-07-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
The wreckage is on the NW corner of the junction, with the truck oriented N-S, cab pointing S. That seems consistent with the truck entering the junction headed westbound and being struck in the mid/rear by the bus traveling northbound. The truck gets turned 90 degrees to point south as momentum carries all the wreckage NW.

It's more difficult to envision how the truck could have been the northbound vehicle, based on the wreckage.

So it seems likely that for whatever reason the truck ran the stop sign, and was struck amidships by the front of the team bus. The trees on the SE corner meant that neither vehicle could see the other approaching the junction.
As I said earlier, and further confirmed by additional images, the front of the tractor-trailer seems almost completely undamaged, while the midsection of the trailer looks like it's been rammed and warped by a major impact, and the whole front part of the bus is non-existent. It's pretty clear that the truck didn't run into anything, and certainly appears as if the bus hit the trailer as you describe.

Whether the truck ran the stop sign or was just slow in moving out, and whether visibility was a factor, are hard to say with the limited information available, but the above appears to be the basics of what happened. For causes and fault we'll have to wait for the investigation. It doesn't appear the the truck driver has been charged with anything, but that may just be lack of evidence at this point.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Well, the truck clearly failed to yield right of way. There's absolutely no way the accident happens in the absence of that. There's basically no way to hit/get hit while crossing a highway when you have a stop sign that doesn't involve failure to yield right of way. That the truck driver hasn't been charged with anything is, I would presume, the result of the RCMP not having decided yet whether this is essentially a basic moving violation with tragic consequences vs. criminal negligence causing death.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
...Whether the truck ran the stop sign or was just slow in moving out...
I'm not too sure about the relative mass of the two vehicles when the truck had a fairly light payload, but it looks like the wreckage is more W than N of the junction. In the pics here, the cab of the truck lies on 335 westbound:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...n-bus-tragedy/

Presumably the bus was moving northbound at some speed (why would it not be with right of way on a dead straight road), so I don't think the position of the wreckage is consistent with the truck moving slowly, i.e. pulling away from a standing start. I think the truck must have carried some speed into the junction.

Last edited by Riemann; 04-07-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
News article: Saskatoon ER Doctor calls Humboldt Broncos crash triage "most tragic night of my career."

• Royal University Hospital got the alert for multiple serious injuries, called a Code Orange.

• injured started arriving at the hospital around 10 pm

• organised chaos - staff that didn't all know each other just organised themselves into teams of two doctors, two nurses, and two therapists, to handle each patient as they came in.

• hospital had to turn away medical staff who were coming back off-shift to help, because they had too many.

• parents were telling medical staff to defer giving them updates on their own sons until everyone had been taken care of.

• people in Saskatoon were volunteering to bring food to the hospital so the staff didn't need to worry about taking meal breaks.

• Saskatoon blood donor clinic has been turning away donors, because the clinic is jammed with donors; urging them to re-schedule their visits for next week.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4130047/h...y-room-doctor/
This tragedy sums up the canyon of difference between Canadian and American people perfectly.

I've worked with mass casualties before, and with triaging the patients and victims of those situations. I've never seen anything as selfless by the families as forgoing reports on their own child until everyone else is taken care of. The ones that I personally have witnessed seemed like every parent only gave a shit about their own kids.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

A tragedy indeed.

Communities and groups and others are pulling together to get faraway parents and friends to the scene--I understand WestJet will be flying a charter of Albertans from Calgary to Saskatoon.

Elsewhere, the world of sports is showing their concern. The Blackhawks and Jets both replaced players' names on their jerseys with the word "Broncos." There was a moment of silence before the Blue Jays game in Texas, and starting Jays pitcher Marcus Strohman wrote "Humboldt Broncos SK" on his cap.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
This tragedy sums up the canyon of difference between Canadian and American people perfectly...
It's certainly true that disasters bring out the best and worst in people, both in hospitals and in comments on messageboards. Do you have any view on how the hypothetical reaction of the British, Russians or Pakistanis might have measured up?

Last edited by Riemann; 04-08-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:51 AM

As an American, and an EMT who has spent time on scene at mass casualties, and also at hospitals in the aftermath of said events, I feel uniquely qualified to speak as to my experiences. They are vastly different than the links above.

I won't speak about British or Russian reactions, as they're immaterial to the thread.

If you wish to continue this hijack, open a Pit thread. Otherwise, perhaps you should just returned to the topic at hand, which is not me.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
As an American, and an EMT who has spent time on scene at mass casualties, and also at hospitals in the aftermath of said events, I feel uniquely qualified to speak as to my experiences. They are vastly different than the links above.

I won't speak about British or Russian reactions, as they're immaterial to the thread.

If you wish to continue this hijack, open a Pit thread. Otherwise, perhaps you should just returned to the topic at hand, which is not me.
The fact that the hypothetical reactions of other nations is immaterial was obviously my point.

Why on earth did you feel it was relevant or appropriate to make some sweeping generalization about how selfish you think Americans are when their children may be injured or dead?

It's not me you should be lecturing about hijacks and opening a Pit thread.

Last edited by Riemann; 04-08-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:10 AM

Well, Dad, if you're done with your lecture, I'm going to continue my existence and perusing.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

I noticed that the morning newscasts are no longer saying the truck t-boned the bus, they now saying that the two vehicles collided... which is probably a better way to report the accident before the investigation is done.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I wouldn't read so much into the parents deferring updates to the point that it's a general difference between Canadians and Americans.

Remember, these are hockey parents, whose kids are all on the same team. They will know the other boys, from years of being in the system and watching their sons play together on the same teams, or opposite teams, and now all living together and bonding in a small town in Saskatchewan, while all on the same team.

They'll know the other boys who were in the crash and are also being treated, and will want them to get good care too.

These aren't unrelated families whose relatives just happened to be on the same bus together, which is the typical situation after a bus accident.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:31 PM

It's a terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to all of those affected. So sad.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't read so much into the parents deferring updates to the point that it's a general difference between Canadians and Americans.

Remember, these are hockey parents, whose kids are all on the same team. They will know the other boys, from years of being in the system and watching their sons play together on the same teams, or opposite teams, and now all living together and bonding in a small town in Saskatchewan, while all on the same team.

They'll know the other boys who were in the crash and are also being treated, and will want them to get good care too.

These aren't unrelated families whose relatives just happened to be on the same bus together, which is the typical situation after a bus accident.
That's a very good point. And perhaps an additional factor is the prairie culture, which is a lot different than that in the busy population corridors of east-central Canada, especially in the big cities.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann View Post
I'm not too sure about the relative mass of the two vehicles when the truck had a fairly light payload, but it looks like the wreckage is more W than N of the junction. In the pics here, the cab of the truck lies on 335 westbound:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...n-bus-tragedy/
A tractor-trailer of that size could be heavier than a bus even if the trailer was empty. A big rig like that is probably coming in at about 25 tons tare weight; a bus would push 20 tons in really dressed up models. I know the bus LOOKS as big but it's a lot of empty space inside. Even a light load will easily add 5-10 tons to the truck's weight, and I am guessing low. The rig has five trailer axles, and it would absolutely not have that many axles unless it needed it. I'd guess the gross weight was 30-35 tons, easy.

Last edited by RickJay; 04-08-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

A player has been released from hospital! Broncos organization will give updates on status, but without names.

The Prime Minister and the Premier will attend the vigil tonight.

1st Humboldt Broncos team player released from hospital.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:10 PM

That’s a great piece of news that a player’s being released from the hospital. Besides the 14 or 15 that I read we’re in critical condition, has there been any report on the extent of any other injuries? I know the truck driver survived was he hurt at all? I read he had been questioned but I don’t know if he’s been hospitalized.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Bus Crash Of Junior Hockey Players in Saskatchewan - Fatalities Confirmed

No, he doesn't appear to have been injured. He was released after questioning and apparently referred to counselling for the trauma.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-08-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Vigil in the Humboldt Rink now starting. The PM, the Premier and Minister Goodale are present, but will not be speaking. Rink is full, so there are overflows in the curling rink and the school.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Mayor is speaking. He's obviously exhausted and strained but doing a good job.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

President of the Broncos is speaking. Reading out the names of the injured. Now starting the dead. He's having trouble getting through them.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Former FSIN Chief Lawrence Joseph praying in Cree. Encourages people to cry at any time without embarrassment; shortest verse in the Bible is "Jesus wept."
at the death of a friend.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Now the Bishop of the Catholic Ukrainian Eparchy of Saskatoon reading the 23 Psalm.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-08-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Now the Chaplin of the team is sharing his memories of coming on the crash on the way to the game, then "holding the hand of a lifeless body" in the hospital.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-08-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx2 View Post
That’s a great piece of news that a player’s being released from the hospital. Besides the 14 or 15 that I read we’re in critical condition, has there been any report on the extent of any other injuries? I know the truck driver survived was he hurt at all? I read he had been questioned but I don’t know if he’s been hospitalized.
I have heard that one "surviving" player was being evaluated for organ donation, and another appears to be paralyzed from the waist down, although it's unknown if this will be permanent.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

An angry yet hopeful
Pastor.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I've been reading the updates all day. Thank you, Northern Piper, for keeping us posted.

My prayers are with all of the families, and everyone involved in responding to the crash.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Aruba Quaye of the Living Grace Church about to lead the vigil in Amazing Grace, as a prayer seeking God's grace; reminiscing about Tyler Bieber, the lost play-by-play man.

Running the photos of all those lost young men.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-08-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Chris Chelios played for them. He was my friend in College at Wisconsin.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Now the Lutheran pastor leading the Prayers of the People. Almost lost it praying for the First Responders and the "horrors they saw."
Old 04-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Final prayer from the United Church minister.

The Anglican priest who's acting as Master of Ceremonies, Matteo Carboni (not a traditional Anglican name ) is closing with "What a Friend We Have in Jesus."
Old 04-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Closing shot of the bouquets around the centre ice circle with the Broncos logo.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Final blessing from the Roman Catholic Bishop of Saskatoon.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Father Carboni: "The service now is ended. Go now in peace."
Old 04-08-2018, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Little boy in Broncos jersey and cap in the crowd in tears. Camera moved away from him right away.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Forgot to mention: Father Carboni: "It is now 7.32. The game was supposed to start at 7.30. Please join me for a moment of silence." That was a kick in the gut.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Ian Hanamansingh of the CBC interviewed Sheldon Kennedy, former NHLer. Kennedy, Joe Sakic, and other survivors of the 1986 Swift Current Broncos bus crash were at Royal University Hospital today, meeting with some of the players. Kennedy said they talked with them how they felt about their crash, and how 32 years later, it still affects their life. Survivor's guilt was mentioned.

Don Cherry and Ron Maclean also were at the hospital today.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-08-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx2 View Post
Besides the 14 or 15 that I read we’re in critical condition, has there been any report on the extent of any other injuries?

It's fourteen injured, three in critical condition, but the Broncos and the hospital are not releasing any details, to respect the privacy of the patients.

Some of the family members have released some information. One family confirmed that their son will likely never walk again. He's already starting to ask about sledge hockey, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Para-Olympics someday.

Another family has said that their son is in a coma, with multiple internal injuries.

The boy from Lethbridge is being kept alive on life support pending organ donation.

A chaplain at the Royal University Hospital spoke in general terms that some of the players faced "life-changing injuries." That fits with the ER doc who said that some of them had worse injuries than what he saw in Syria. And one dad, one of the first on the scene, said he saw horrific injuries and couldn't believe his son was able to walk away from the accident, relatively unharmed.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Mrs Piper said it's gradually come out that there was a female physio therapist / trainer on the bus who's in critical condition.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Link to the article about the dad who was first on the scene: Father horror-struck by ‘devastating sight’ after son survives crash and calls for help

Quote:
It was about 5 p.m. Friday when Myles Shumlanski got a “hysterical” call from his son.

“The bus was in an accident,” his son, Humboldt Broncos player Nick Shumlanski, screamed into the phone.

Myles jumped into his vehicle and rushed to the crash site, about a quarter mile from his home on a Tisdale-area acreage. He and his wife Vivian were the first, and to his knowledge only, family members on the scene of the tragedy that struck his son’s hockey team that day.
Quote:
“People were getting blankets. You were taking your jackets. You were doing anything to cover these boys,” he said. “They were in snow and ice and it was very cold yesterday. They were in very bad shape.”

He said the helpers had to crawl under parts of the bus on their stomachs to reach some of the victims. As they did, he saw things that deeply disturbed him.

“It was so sad.”
Old 04-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

A new development: two of the players were misidentified. One was dead, one was alive in hospital. One family was told their son had died, another that their son was alive. Now that's flipped.

So much grief.

The misidentification likely speaks to the severity of the injuries to both the dead and the living.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ther-says-rcmp
Old 04-09-2018, 11:46 AM
SDSAB

A terrible, terrible day for Canada, and for everyone who loves it - thank you for keeping us updated.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

I could not watch the vigil. Hell, I couldn't watch the news reports of it.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I have heard that one "surviving" player was being evaluated for organ donation, and another appears to be paralyzed from the waist down, although it's unknown if this will be permanent.
Shit 😞.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
It's fourteen injured, three in critical condition, but the Broncos and the hospital are not releasing any details, to respect the privacy of the patients.

Some of the family members have released some information. One family confirmed that their son will likely never walk again. He's already starting to ask about sledge hockey, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Para-Olympics someday.

Another family has said that their son is in a coma, with multiple internal injuries.

The boy from Lethbridge is being kept alive on life support pending organ donation.

A chaplain at the Royal University Hospital spoke in general terms that some of the players faced "life-changing injuries." That fits with the ER doc who said that some of them had worse injuries than what he saw in Syria. And one dad, one of the first on the scene, said he saw horrific injuries and couldn't believe his son was able to walk away from the accident, relatively unharmed.
I’m sorry I asked and I don’t mean that sarcastically. Lives lost, lives forever changed.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

And a new bit of news. One of the first people to call 911 was following one of the vehicles. When the crash happened, her car was hit by debris but she managed to steer it to safety. Then she called 911.

Then she started to feel labour pains - she's 28 weeks pregnant.

The EMTs wanted to put her in an ambulance and get her to hospital, but she refused, because the boys were more badly injured and took priority.

Eventually she was taken to hospital and is doing okay - has been released.

http://thestarphoenix.com/business/p...e-labour-pains
Old 04-09-2018, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Different communities across the province are remembering the boys and sending messages of support to Humboldt.

In the little town of Montmartre, which lost the youngest Bronco, Adam Herold, just 16, they held a memorial at the rink last night.

A candlelight vigil, then they lit a series of gasoline soaked burlap bags on the blue line while a single piper played Amazing Grace. Video is embedded in this article:

http://leaderpost.com/news/saskatche...ows-of-support

( I assume the fire marshal stayed away. )

At Niagara Falls, both the US and Canadian Falls were illuminated last night on gold and green.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-09-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

The Queen and the Pope have both sent condolences.

https://www.royal.uk/message-queen-a...crash-canada-0

https://www.catholicregister.org/ite...roncos-tragedy
Old 04-09-2018, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Hockey Dad Rod Stewart pays tribute to the Broncos during his Calgary show. His son used to play for the Spokane Chiefs in the WHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Stewart
And my son, who plays hockey ... plays in this area, and has done all those journeys. It just brought it all home to me how quick life can end.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...t-tribute/amp/
Old 04-09-2018, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

The GoFundMe campaign is now at $6.3 million, the fifth largest campaign in the world, primarily funded by Canadians.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...e-in-the-world
Old 04-09-2018, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

The GoFundMe campaign for the Broncos players is now over $6.3 million, the fifth largest campaign in the world. Apparently primarily funded by Canadians, but donations coming in from all over.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...e-in-the-world