Old 04-10-2018, 12:01 AM

Interesting reading over the names of the GOFUNDME site

Over 85 000 donations so far totaling 6.5 million, the majority being small businesses or individuals from Canada and smaller number from the USA. (but donations received from 60 countries)

Not very many large recognizable corporate names with the exceptions being:

Canadian Tire
Husky Energy
Chevrolet Canada
Pittsburgh Penguins
Calgary Flames
Toronto Maple Leafs
Bell Canada

Incredibly large numbers of small companies or organizations donating in the $500 - $1000 range

Way too numerous to mention

Very few, if any, religion organizations have donated money in their name. Of course, the individual members can donate on their own

Also on the list, A fair number of smaller Government agencies (ie Edmonton Airport authority)

No breweries (ie no Molsons, Labatts, or even any of smaller Brewers)

A few notable hockey players have donated - Cassie Campbell, Shawn Horcoff, Glenn Hall (yes that Glenn Hall)

But a LOT of the big name superstars or ex-superstars have not donated (or are donating without giving their name), ie no Gretzky, Lemiuex, Messier, Jagr, McDavid, Crosby. (Part of the curse of being famous in for what you do and what you do NOT do)

I will give Mario a pass since his Pittsburgh Penguins have donated heavily.

Not many politicians on the list (I give credit to Justin Trudeau for showing up but if he has donated, he is not publishing it)

Granted, it has only been a few days since the accident but if over 85 000 can find time to donate, so can others.

Very interesting to see who has donated and who has NOT.

Also, so far, any donations are NOT tax deductible but I expect that to change.

Also now that the donations have reached 6.5 million, will it level off from donation fatigue ?

Last edited by ssgenius; 04-10-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:37 AM

A bit of an edit

For Hockey players

I see that Wade Redden and Craig Simpson have donated

The NHL refs have donated.

For large corporations, NONE of the major 5 banks in Canada have donated in their name (obviously, their employees are free to do so on their own)

Very few news organizations (or newspapers) have donated (Although I think this has more to do with the newspaper industry hurting financially than anything else)
Old 04-10-2018, 12:52 AM

I think it's entirely possible and probable that individual hockey players have donated on their own anonymously.

They realize this isn't about them; it's about helping the families.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:33 AM

Surprisingly, there are not very many anonymous donors on the list.

However, I do agree that some players have probably donated anonymously.

What is more interesting is the lack of donations in some cases

Of the 31 NHL teams, only 5 have donated so far

Calgary
Toronto and the Toronto Alumni
Pittsburgh
Ottawa
Chicago

Plus the Oshawa Generals (Major Junior team) and the Sherwood Park Crusaders (Minor junior team) in terms of major donations

Of note, I only looked at the $500 level and above

No donations yet!!! (In terms of Canadian teams) from

Edmonton
Montreal
Vancouver
Winnipeg

None from the U.S. teams except for Pittsburgh and Chicago

That in a way is telling of the financial strength of the team in that a stronger team is more likely to donate than a weaker team.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgenius View Post
Its more interesting that somebody would come along and start pointing fingers because they think or feel that certain people didn't give the right charity.

I don't think this is how charity works.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:29 AM

I am well aware of what a charity is.

That was the original idea behind the "United Way" in that it would be a one stop place for charity instead of having a multitude of charities operating. However, their focus is on larger scale operations.

This "Go Fund Me" has taken an opposite approach in that it allows smaller individual projects for fund raising (It allows someone to crowd fund their way in college, or to the Olympics for example)

It also allows for a much more personal donation to be directed specifically.

Also interesting in that this hockey team bus disaster is now up to the 4 th highest fundraiser undertaken by them. (Note that there are other Go Fund Me fundraisers for this bus crash, this is just the one that has got all the attention)

It is also interesting to see some of the other fundraising projects there.

As I have mentioned, one is judged by what they do and also what they fail to do.

Sports teams (most notably football) try to hold cities hostage for their Super stadiums.

Hockey also follows this trend.

For example, the Edmonton Oilers have a new $500+ million dollar stadium and asked for tax breaks (which is a form of charity) to get it built. Yet, they have yet to donate (nor have any of their current players donated as of yet)

Also note the the highest donation so far (by Canadian Tire) is $50 000 which is a magnitude lower than the cost of their new stadium.

I find it interesting that these teams beg for these cathedral type of stadiums but fail to donate to a disaster like this.

However, it is only a few days after this so they still have time for it.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:42 AM

How much did you give?
Old 04-10-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
It doesn't show who has not donated. Donors have the option of not disclosing their names (except to the recipient), and obviously Gofundme has no idea who has given money through other means (if I was making a large donation to a cause, I'd be looking for a way to give that doesn't charge a percentage).

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 04-10-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
How much did you give?
$500 as I know some of their relatives
Old 04-10-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
It doesn't show who has not donated. Donors have the option of not disclosing their names (except to the recipient), and obviously Gofundme has no idea who has given money through other means (if I was making a large donation to a cause, I'd be looking for a way to give that doesn't charge a percentage).
Gofundme does NOT charge anything.

In November 2017, GoFundMe announced that it will no longer charge a 5% fee per donation for US, Canada, and UK individual campaigns, and instead rely upon tips left by donors to support the website.[7] The processing fee for online credit card payments will still apply to donations.[28]
Old 04-10-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
$500 as I know some of their relatives
Is that all? Doesn't seem much, especially considering you know some of their relatives. Probably a magnitude lower than some of your other expenses as well. Interesting.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

You also seem to be assuming that the only way to donate is by GoFundMe.

The Jets and the Blackhawks have both indicated that they would each donate $25,000 to the Broncos. They could easily have done that by sending the cheques directly to the team.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Gofundme does NOT charge anything.

In November 2017, GoFundMe announced that it will no longer charge a 5% fee per donation for US, Canada, and UK individual campaigns, and instead rely upon tips left by donors to support the website.[7] The processing fee for online credit card payments will still apply to donations.[28]
Bolding mine.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

National Team of Ukraine held a service and made a memorial outside the Canadian Embassy in Kiev. A heartfelt gesture.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

ssgenius, do you think everyone should donate to the Broncos?

There are millions of people in need - not just one hockey team however tragic their circumstances.

Perhaps some would-be donors, seeing how successful fund-raising for the Broncos has been, decided to spend their charity dollars on someone else in need who is largely obscure and unknown?

Perhaps some donors have sent money outside of GoFundMe?

I find your implication that individuals and organizations are at fault if they don't donate to that particular campaign or in your opinion, don't give enough, a bit disturbing. Charity is voluntary. Forced charity is a tax.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Bus Crash Of Junior Hockey Players in Saskatchewan - Fatalities Confirmed

Oh c'mon Boomstick, let him have his moment of faux moral superiority.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-10-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Missed the edit window; that post was supposed to have:

Old 04-10-2018, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Our front porch today.

Last edited by Cat Whisperer; 04-10-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

"The boys might need it … wherever they are."
Old 04-11-2018, 01:19 PM

I found out last night that one of my cousins is among the dead. My dad was born in St. Gregor, about 20 km east of Humbolt, and I have lots of family in the area. The only time I met the kid was at a reunion over a decade ago, he was only waist high at the time. I do remember his parents being awesome people, and I'm sad not just for their loss, but everyone's loss in this tragedy.

I want to thank Northern Piper for starting this thread and then keeping it up to date. Your last post makes water rise to my eyes every time I read it. Thank you.

My thoughts on those who are using this as an opportunity to shame others for their charitable donations or lack thereof can't be shared outside the pit. If you want to find them out, just post that shit one in this thread one more time, and I WILL pit you and let you know exactly what kind of garbage person I think you are in excruciating detail. Be forewarned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
There's a lone hockey stick out on my front porch tight now too. #PutYourStickOut
Old 04-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Tom Cochrane does a re-write of "Big League" in honour of the fatalities in the Humboldt crash. Must be dusty in here; got something in my eye.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Bruce MacKinnon of the Halifax Chronicle Herald does an editorial cartoon.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 PM

It must be dusty in here indeed. Thank you for sharing that.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
I found out last night that one of my cousins is among the dead. My dad was born in St. Gregor, about 20 km east of Humbolt, and I have lots of family in the area. The only time I met the kid was at a reunion over a decade ago, he was only waist high at the time. I do remember his parents being awesome people, and I'm sad not just for their loss, but everyone's loss in this tragedy.

I want to thank Northern Piper for starting this thread and then keeping it up to date. Your last post makes water rise to my eyes every time I read it. Thank you.

My thoughts on those who are using this as an opportunity to shame others for their charitable donations or lack thereof can't be shared outside the pit. If you want to find them out, just post that shit one in this thread one more time, and I WILL pit you and let you know exactly what kind of garbage person I think you are in excruciating detail. Be forewarned.

There's a lone hockey stick out on my front porch tight now too. #PutYourStickOut
Hugs to you and yours.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

{{{{{{{Crazy Canuck}}}}}}

Big internet hug!
Old 04-11-2018, 03:36 PM

Crazy Canuck, Iím sorry for your loss. I hope you can feel the hug Iím sending your way.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Another death. The young woman who was a trainer for the team has died.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rash-1.4615462
Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was at a local sports bar yesterday for the Jays game. (Cat, you can likely guess which one.) The owner had put a couple of sticks outside the door of the sports bar.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:44 PM

The Caps will be donating the proceeds of tonightís in-game 50-50 raffle to the Broncos. Not sure is this will be via Go Fund Me or direct.

But, even if they didnít, they do a lot of charity work - as I suspect all of the teams do - and I see no benefit in nitpicking who helps who. There is plenty of need and plenty of people helping where they can.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Stories about the boys are coming out: the quick and the dead, to use the phrase from the BCP.

Here's one about Ryan Straschnitzki, the fellow whose back was broken and likely won't walk again. Interview with him about the crash itself and the immediate aftermath.

There's also an embedded video of the Mayor of Humboldt speaking at the vigil last Saturday night. Very low-key, but emotions just bubbling beneath the surface.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...t-happy-alive/

I said in one earlier post that we would probably see this kid in the Paralympics. That's now his goal: "Paralysed from Saskatchewan bus crash, Ryan Straschnitzki plots return to ice."

https://globalnews.ca/news/4134310/p...sledge-hockey/

And Paralympians are volunteering to help:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ncos-1.4615381

http://calgarysun.com/news/provincia...-play-the-game

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-14-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

And here's a story from Uganda, of little Ugandan boys and girls sending messages of "Humboldt Strong".

Turns out that a number of hockey teams in Canada have formed a charity where teams and players pay for leg and foot surgeries for kids in Africa. They make the kids honourary team members and send them jerseys and support.

And the kids are now sending back messages of support.

"13 year old Ugandan sends love to Broncos, following life-changing surgery."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...love-1.4619712
Old 04-14-2018, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Funeral yesterday for the bus driver, Glen Doerksen, at his home town of Carrot River. Media were asked not to attend the service itself.

From outside the hall, they report that it was standing room only. Two Mounties in red serge attended. Many wore hockey jerseys. After the service, family exited carrying an urn and photo of Mr Doerksen and left.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4144231/s...ed-at-service/
Old 04-14-2018, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Some stories about the youngest one who died, Adam Herold, whose funeral was yesterday, the day after what would have been his 17th birthday.

He was a farm kid from the little town of Montmartre, near Regina. He loved snowmobiling, so on Thursday his family had a snowmobile and outdoor cook-out, inviting friends and family.

His father speaks about him in the article: " 'I lost my best friend': Family looks to celebrate birthday of youngest Humboldt crash victim."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada...ctim-1.3881704

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ncos-1.4615949

Article about funeral and people reminiscing:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ncos-1.4615949

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-14-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Photos of the outdoor birthday wake:

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...oungest-bronco
Old 04-14-2018, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks for these, Cat!
Old 04-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Article about Brody Hinz, the stats guy. His dad died when he was a kid and he had trouble in school, but Big Brothers helped and he'd just started to shine.

Active as a volunteer in the community.

He'd been accepted by University of Regina for the fall, with scholarships.

Humboldt Broncos' statistician Brody Hinz remembered for kindness, 'generous spirit'.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4136089/h...an-brody-hinz/
Old 04-14-2018, 07:25 PM

Northern Piper, thank you for all of the information and updates youíve been giving about this sad event. Youíve not only helped keep us informed, but youíve done it with a sense of compassion too.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I was held up today while out driving around for the funeral procession for Logan Boulet - it made me tear up once again. It was something to see - the funeral procession was holding up traffic in a 90 kph zone, but no one wanted to pass them and be disrespectful (and these are Lethbridge drivers, who with no exaggeration, are some of the worst drivers I've ever seen in my life). I don't know how this is affecting people in Eastern Canada, but here in the prairies, it feels like we've all lost a family member.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
The Caps will be donating the proceeds of tonight’s in-game 50-50 raffle to the Broncos. Not sure is this will be via Go Fund Me or direct.

That is really good of them. The townspeople at Humboldt and area have commented many times that they have been amazed at the outpouring of support from all over.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Apparently six different people have benefitted from Logan Boulet signing his organ donation card as soon as he turned 21.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

The town council in Bay Roberts, Newfoundland & Labrador, had a moment of remembrance for Parker Tobin, one of the dead players.

Tobin's dad grew up in Bay Roberts but moved west.

His uncle still lives there and said a few words on behalf of the family.

http://www.thetelegram.com/news/loca...family-201020/

Truly, this has touched Canadians across the country.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-14-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patx2 View Post
Northern Piper, thank you for all of the information and updates you’ve been giving about this sad event. You’ve not only helped keep us informed, but you’ve done it with a sense of compassion too.

You're welcome and thank you. I've not responded to similar comments up-thread, because it's not about me, but families and communities in grief. I appreciate it.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

I think a big hug of support is owed to Kevin Garinger of Humboldt, who has been a rock in all of this.

Garinger is the president of the Broncos, which is a community-owned team. It's essentially a volunteer position.

On Friday night, Garinger was in Edmonton, Alberta, visiting a family member who was in hospital there, when he got the call.

The next day, he was back in Humboldt, a 650 km trip. No idea if he flew to Saskatoon or drove all the way, but a long trip.

Then he started giving interviews for the team. Very low-key and focussed entirely on the casualties and their families, doing a fine balancing act between respecting their privacy while keeping the community informed.

While we were watching one interview, Mrs Piper said, "There's something more there than just grief for the team."

She was right. Late Saturday or early Sunday, word came out that Garinger and his family were billets for one of the boys from away. That is, they took a young teenage guy into their home and looked after him like a son, far from his own family, while he chased his dream.

Their billet was one of the ones killed in the crash.

Garinger must have known that was likely, pending the identification process, while he was doing all those interviews and work.

Then Garinger spoke at the vigil on Sunday night. It was very low-key. He spoke of the team, the coaches, the support from the community. Then he read the names of the dead, nearly losing it at times, but making it through, somehow, because it was his job to speak to the community about the people they had lost.

That done, Garinger had to go back to his day job on Monday: Director of Education for the public schools in Humboldt.

Schools were closed on Monday, while Garinger and others worked out what sort of grief-counselling and support the kids, and teachers, and staff would need, especially since some of the Broncos were young enough that they were going to school in Humboldt.

Schools re-opened Tuesday.

So in the space of one extended long weekend, he had to deal with the disaster that hit the team, provide support for the families and friends of the players, speak publicly at the vigil on behalf of the team and to the community, the province and the country, and help plan how to provide comfort and support in the schools, all the while grieving the loss of a player who lived with his own family.

Haven't seen much of him in the interviews since. I hope he's taking time for himself. He really must need it.

But my guess is, he's quietly going to as many of the funerals as he can.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-14-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

News article: "Sask. school divisions supporting students in coping with Humboldt Broncos tragedy."

Talks about the steps being taken, and mentions the letter from Garinger as Director of Education to the school division, outlining the steps they're taking.

Then says, with typical Saskatchewan under-statement: "Garinger is also president of the Humboldt Broncos."

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...roncos-tragedy

Last edited by Northern Piper; 04-14-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Everyone here still seems gutted and constantly on the brink of tears. I’m still seeing rock hard types, well up just listening to others converse about these events.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Three more funerals yesterday: the coach, Darcy Haugen, and the stats kid, Brody Hinz, both in Humboldt, and Logan Boulet in Lethbridge, as Cat mentioned:

A ‘hero,’ a ‘gift’ to the community and a devoted family man — three Humboldt Broncos remembered during Saturday funerals
Old 04-15-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

And players are being released from hospital:

Humboldt Broncos centre Brayden Camrud released from hospital

Quote:
Camrud, who has played for the Broncos for two seasons, was released Monday evening according to his grandmother, Glenda Camrud.

He had an MRI and a CT scan and was found to have suffered a concussion, bruises and cuts but is doing well and is ďlucky,Ē according to his grandmother.

She said he is recovering at his family home in Saskatoon and preparing to attend his teammatesí upcoming funerals.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

The service for Tyler Beiber, the play-by-play announcer for the Broncos, was also on Friday, in the same Humboldt rink where he called games; his friend and fellow-play-by-play caller, for the Hawks, reminisces about the last game play-off Beiber called, which went into triple overtime:

Humboldt Broncosí announcer Tyler Bieber laid to rest

And sports broadcasting personalities are coming up with a way to memorialise Bieber:

'A great way to honour him': Broadcasters offer to call games in memory of Humboldt Broncos play-by-play man Tyler Bieber

Quote:
When Les Lazaruk looked up at the broadcast booth at Elgar Petersen Arena during Tyler Bieberís funeral service, he thought of an idea to honour the memory of the Humboldt Broncos play-by-play announcer.

Lazaruk offered to call a Broncos game next season for free and he put out a call on Twitter for fellow broadcasters to do the same. It wasnít long before several prominent on-air personalities volunteered their services.

Sportsnetís Rob Faulds and TSNís Chris Cuthbert and Gord Miller all tweeted offers to participate in the initiative. Other broadcasters from a variety of leagues and sports also wanted to get involved and support the effort.

Lazaruk, the play-by-play voice of the Western Hockey Leagueís Saskatoon Blades, said with the Broncos set to play 58 games next season, heís hoping 57 other broadcasters can enter the booth for a game apiece.

He added the initial response to his initiative was overwhelming.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

An injured player attending the funerals, that's going to be traumatic for him.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Messed up the link here:

And players are being released from hospital:

Humboldt Broncos centre Brayden Camrud released from hospital

Quote:
Camrud, who has played for the Broncos for two seasons, was released Monday evening according to his grandmother, Glenda Camrud.

He had an MRI and a CT scan and was found to have suffered a concussion, bruises and cuts but is doing well and is ďlucky,Ē according to his grandmother.

She said he is recovering at his family home in Saskatoon and preparing to attend his teammatesí upcoming funerals.