Old 09-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
no coach is fired after year 1 unless there is some major NCAA issue. Almost everyone gets 3 or 4 years. I know of a guy who was fired after 2 years but that is rare.
Agreed, but then again, not everyone gets paid the kind of money and enters a major sports town with as much fanfare as Chip Kelly. Plus, the whole idea of getting Kelly was that he would be better than Mora, who actually wasn't that bad, IMO.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
That'll teach the Big Ten not to schedule non-cupcakes. BYU was a decent team and caught Wisconsin flat. Rutgers had the guts to go out to Kansas State, who have had decent teams in recent years. Michigan loses to a good Notre Dame team on the road, Michigan State loses to a decent Arizona State on the road. PSU and OSU still undefeated.
These are probably the only two legit Big Team title contenders this year. Ohio State didn't look pretty against TCU, but it most definitely was an impressive victory. TCU is a solid team this year - very athletic and well-coached players. Ohio State just wore them out.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
That'll teach the Big Ten not to schedule non-cupcakes. BYU was a decent team and caught Wisconsin flat. Rutgers had the guts to go out to Kansas State, who have had decent teams in recent years. Michigan loses to a good Notre Dame team on the road, Michigan State loses to a decent Arizona State on the road. PSU and OSU still undefeated.
Rutgers played Kansas not Kansas State. Very big difference.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:46 AM

last year when they had that terrible FB coaching search the Tenn chancellor fired their AD after less than 1 year on the job. This year that chancellor herself was fired after only 1 year on the job. And the UT system president retires this year

So in 1 year the Tenn FB coach, AD, chancellor and president are all gone with the first 3 being fired. That's a lot of turnover at 1 school.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:46 PM

I enjoyed seeing LSU beat Auburn this weekend. I generally enjoy seeing any SEC team beat Auburn, even though I will grudgingly support Auburn vs any non-SEC team.
Bama crushing Ole Miss was delightful. My Facebook feed was filled with much moaning and gnashing of teeth. I posted nothing, but quietly chuckled at the Land-Guppies misfortunes.

This week, I'm a little nervous about Texas A&M. They damn near upset Clemson, and Bama could have a let down after just destroying Ole Miss. Mississippi State at Kentucky could be good, too.
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 09-17-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted Pasta View Post
Also I see that a Division III school I've never heard of, Guilford, was able to put up 61 points on FCS Davidson, thus limiting its margin of defeat to only 30.

edit: Bijou Drains has a promising future as a ninja.
So glad I saw that post - Guilford is my sisterís alma mater. Good school, but known more for social activism than football. Remember that kid who hid knives, bleach, and clay on airplanes 15 years ago, to point out holes in the TSAís security? He was a Guilford kid.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
I enjoyed seeing LSU beat Auburn this weekend. I generally enjoy seeing any SEC team beat Auburn, even though I will grudgingly support Auburn vs any non-SEC team.
Bama crushing Ole Miss was delightful. My Facebook feed was filled with much moaning and gnashing of teeth. I posted nothing, but quietly chuckled at the Land-Guppies misfortunes.

This week, I'm a little nervous about Texas A&M. They damn near upset Clemson, and Bama could have a let down after just destroying Ole Miss. Mississippi State at Kentucky could be good, too.
Alabama should take care of A&M.

I agree that Kentucky-Miss St could be interesting to watch.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:52 PM

Florida State is probably already shopping around for a new coach. God what a joke they've become. Lucky that, except for Clemson, the ACC is a cream puff conference this year.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Go 'Huskers!!!!
Historically, it looks bad losing to a Sun Belt team in Memorial Stadium, but Iím not going to be too worried by the loss. I've accepted itís going to be a bad year for Nebraska.

The rest of the Big Ten looks bad, so itís possible we could improve on 4-8 last year. We werenít blown out by Colorado and Troy, so I think an upset or two could happen, like Michigan State and UCLA in Rileyís first year (2015; our 5-7 team somehow made a bowl).

I believe in Scott Frost and heíll get us there. Not this year, and I hope most Husker fans are as patient and reasonable (HA!)

That said, I fully expect we'll be slaughtered at Michigan this coming weekend.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:23 PM

Is it just me, or is NCAA FBS a better product this year? I think we're going to have multiple title contenders from different conferences. As an S-E-C guy, I know I've talked trash about other conferences - especially the 'little 12' the 'little 10' - but in all honesty, I think those conferences are on the rise, especially at the top.

Actually, this is what the conferences want in order to compete with the SEC: 1 or 2 dominant programs in the conference that are heads and tails about the rest of the conference. With the Big 10, clearly, Ohio State and Penn State can compete with any team in the country. In the Big 12, Oklahoma is a really, really good team - they can compete with any team in the country. Too early to tell how real the elite teams in the PAC 12 are, but I always love PAC 12 football's fast pace. And it's obvious that Clemson's right back in the mix, even if the rest of the ACC are a bunch of cupcakes and pop tarts. Oh well, maybe they can convince UCF to join the conference.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:52 PM

I think the Alabama beat-down on Ole Miss should send a really, really strong message to the rest of NCAA football teams that they had better really, REALLY dial it up if they want to hang with the king of the hill. Alabama teams are always scary, but now, they also have a really decent quarterback.

I mean, I don't think the rest of the season we'll see Ole Miss play like they are some sort of back-water FCS team, yet that's exactly what 'Bama made them look like.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I think the Alabama beat-down on Ole Miss should send a really, really strong message to the rest of NCAA football teams that they had better really, REALLY dial it up if they want to hang with the king of the hill. Alabama teams are always scary, but now, they also have a really decent quarterback.
Bama is great again...until they get to that one game in the season where they really need a FG...and then they're fucked. Again. It is as if the Elder Gods have decreed that no decent kicker may live in Tuscaloosa.
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 09-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This week, I'm a little nervous about Texas A&M.
Hey, at least you will have pretty much every FSU fan hoping for a Tide blowout! Might be the only time we root for Satban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Florida State is probably already shopping around for a new coach. God what a joke they've become.
I think you're underestimating how much of a job Fuckbo did on his way out to destroy the program. He only signed 1 OL recruit in his last full year of recruiting, then quit recruiting while his agent was negotiating with the Aggies. We have two converted guards starting at tackle, since every tackle on the roster is injured.

It's gonna be a shitty year no doubt, but it isn't all Taggert's fault.

Roll Tide! Beat the fuck out of 'em, would you please?
Old 09-18-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Hey, at least you will have pretty much every FSU fan hoping for a Tide blowout! Might be the only time we root for Satban.

I think you're underestimating how much of a job Fuckbo did on his way out to destroy the program. He only signed 1 OL recruit in his last full year of recruiting, then quit recruiting while his agent was negotiating with the Aggies. We have two converted guards starting at tackle, since every tackle on the roster is injured.

It's gonna be a shitty year no doubt, but it isn't all Taggert's fault.

Roll Tide! Beat the fuck out of 'em, would you please?
Well Jimbo said he never intended to leave FSU; it just kinda happened. lol!

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sp...off/788953002/
Old 09-22-2018, 02:22 PM

Maybe Nebraska can drop down to FCS level . Getting blown out today by Michigan
Old 09-22-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Scott Frost would have been better off in Orlando.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:40 PM

Five ranked teams have lost to unranked teams so far today, and there are a couple of games in progress that could add to that total. Plus #5 Oklahoma needed OT to beat unranked Army.

Does anybody know what the record is for most unranked wins over ranked teams in a single weekend?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:36 PM

Clemson choose the freshman, not shockingly.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
ďWhile Iím disappointed we lost so badly, I believe in Scott Frost and will be patient. In the meantime, could the Big Ten start implementing the mercy rule and running clock?Ē

My canned response for the next few weeks. Just cut and paste after each loss.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:08 PM

one of the dumb things about college sports is the idea that you hire a coach who is "one of our own guys" . You should hire the best guy no matter where he played. Many teams hire an alum and then they are reluctant to fire the guy. Pro teams don't have those issues except in rare cases.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
Five ranked teams have lost to unranked teams so far today, and there are a couple of games in progress that could add to that total. Plus #5 Oklahoma needed OT to beat unranked Army.

Does anybody know what the record is for most unranked wins over ranked teams in a single weekend?
And let me just say, to my dear friends in Stillwater who are grieving OSU's loss to Texas Tech:

BWA HA HA HA HA HA!!
Old 09-24-2018, 04:18 PM

When UNC hired a new BB coach in 2000 they only talked to former Dean Smith players and hired a bad UNC alum coach who was fired 3 years later.

There was a guy who said it was a bad idea only to talk to former UNC players - who was that guy? Dean Smith himself, he said talk to lots of coaches and hire the best guy.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:38 PM

My UK Wildcats are ranked for the first time in...seemingly forever! Ranked 17th after a big come from behind win against Ole Miss!
Old 09-24-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
My UK Wildcats are ranked for the first time in...seemingly forever! Ranked 17th after a big come from behind win against Ole Miss!
Reportedly, this is the first time since early in the 1957 season that both Duke and Kentucky have been ranked, although back then I am pretty sure they only ranked 20 teams.

Also reportedly, in the 61 years since then, Duke and Kentucky have both been ranked in the same week's men's basketball poll 547 times.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
one of the dumb things about college sports is the idea that you hire a coach who is "one of our own guys" . You should hire the best guy no matter where he played. Many teams hire an alum and then they are reluctant to fire the guy. Pro teams don't have those issues except in rare cases.
It's not like Nebraska picked an alum coach out of the blue. Scott Frost was the unanimous coach of the year last year at unbeaten Central Florida.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post
It's not like Nebraska picked an alum coach out of the blue. Scott Frost was the unanimous coach of the year last year at unbeaten Central Florida.
Was he the best guy they could hire? A lot of guys do well at smaller schools and fail at Power 5 schools. Nebraska is still a big name so recruiting there is much easier than UCF so he should win in the long run. But guys with success at smaller schools failed at places like Notre Dame and Florida.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
and the former starter is transferring and he can play next year at his new school. Won't have a problem finding a new place.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I think Scott Frost is the real deal, but there are two things working against him:

1) Riley really, really screwed the program. Not intentionally, but he brought his emphasis on offense and just didn't recruit for shit.

2) In tandem with not having much talent, Scott Frost is also having problems adjusting to the level of competition in the Big 10. Whatever he thought he could bring with him to Lincoln is going to have to be rethought.

That's not entirely unusual. Great coaches sometimes have to reinvent themselves and go from being offensive coaches to defensive, and vice versa. Bill Belichick was a defensive guru but his evolution as a coach has enabled his Pats offenses to be some of the most explosive and effective in NFL history. Brian Billick was an offensive mastermind who became a more defensive-oriented coach in Baltimore. Coaches sometimes hit rough patches and evolve. I think the Huskers should give Frost time. I think he'll turn it around.

But now the Husker fans and alumni might for once realize how spoiled they were when they had Osborne, and maybe Bo Pelini wasn't quite that bad after all.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I think the Wildcats are going to be a team to be reckoned with this year. They're not the same ole Wildcats. Obviously, Stoops has an offensive pedigree but they seem to be playing some tough, physical defense as well.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:26 AM

Will Frost get 4 years to win at Nebraska? It may take that long. Maybe he gets only 3 in this day and age.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Will Frost get 4 years to win at Nebraska? It may take that long. Maybe he gets only 3 in this day and age.
I think Frost's trajectory - and window of opportunity - will be similar to Tom Herman at Texas. They'll forgive a bad start - even a terrible one - but he'll need to start showing signs that his magic can work. He could even miss a bowl game this year, as long as he can finish with some competitive games against the rest of the BIG. I mean, sure, if he goes winless, then that's obviously going to land him on the hot seat. But I don't think he'll go winless; I think he just needs to figure out how to evolve with what he's got in terms of talent and then he's got to recruit like a mother. Spending time in Florida should work to his advantage, but he needs to capitalize on that.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:23 PM

You mean spending time in Florida recruiting vs. Miami, FSU, UF, UCF, USF, etc. will help him? I agree.

But don't expect too many Florida players to go to Nebraska.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
You mean spending time in Florida recruiting vs. Miami, FSU, UF, UCF, USF, etc. will help him? I agree.

But don't expect too many Florida players to go to Nebraska.
If he could just get some Brock Lesnar heavyweight wrestler types from farm country and put them on the offensive and defensive lines, that would be a start. He could then build a recruiting network that could include the usual hot spots to get good skilled players from places like SoCal, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, South Florida, and Southwest Pennsylvania.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:32 PM

I've seen Kentucky play twice, and that's a bona fide tough team.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:07 PM

Fedora at UNC is almost a 100% lock to get fired in Nov. Not only does he lose but he gets blown out.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:04 PM

No commentary here after the Saturday games??? Nothing about lucky Clemson? Lucky Michigan? THE OSU scraping a win because, yah, lucky?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:48 PM

It feels kind of irrelevant, Alabama looks nigh-unstoppable; I see them being double-digit favorites in any playoff game. Tua Tagovailoa's from Hawaii, so that's fine with me. The local radio station broadcasts Bama games out here. I wonder how much is him; versus having 5-star recruits blocking for him and receiving for him, with 5-stars on defense getting him the ball back. Heck, I could probably QB that team ; )

Of more Hawaii interest: the Tagovailoa family mover to Alabama and his younger QB brother is lighting it up at their high school level.

My Cornhuskers, the less said the better. I'll recycle this: "While Iím disappointed we lost so badly, I believe in Scott Frost and will be patient. In the meantime, could the Big Ten start implementing the mercy rule and running clock for [Wisconsin]?"
Old 10-01-2018, 03:07 PM

Florida State, while still not exactly good, has shown definite improvement over the past 2 weeks.

This is a team that is buying in to Willie Taggart's vision.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Ahem. That was Mississippi State. More cowbell, less hotty toddy. Bulldogs and no land sharks.

This week, LSU-Florida is the game I'm most interested in. Mississippi State-Auburn should be a defensive battle.
Molon labe--Leonidas I

Last edited by Oakminster; 10-04-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
No commentary here after the Saturday games??? Nothing about lucky Clemson? Lucky Michigan? THE OSU scraping a win because, yah, lucky?
Well, it's been my experience that the stronger team often prevails at the end because the "unlucky" team simply runs out of gas.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Ahem. That was Mississippi State. More cowbell, less hotty toddy. Bulldogs and no land sharks.
Aren't they the same team?
Old 10-04-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Ole Miss and Mississippi State? No. "Ole Miss" is the University of Mississippi.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:

This week, LSU-Florida is the game I'm most interested in. Mississippi State-Auburn should be a defensive battle.
LSU should win, but LSU has been known to choke just when things seem to be coming together, and Florida is definitely good enough to make them taste defeat.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Florida State, while still not exactly good, has shown definite improvement over the past 2 weeks.

This is a team that is buying in to Willie Taggart's vision.
Florida has struggled to beat teams that they would have beaten by 6 touchdowns in the past.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post
It feels kind of irrelevant, Alabama looks nigh-unstoppable; I see them being double-digit favorites in any playoff game. Tua Tagovailoa's from Hawaii, so that's fine with me. The local radio station broadcasts Bama games out here. I wonder how much is him; versus having 5-star recruits blocking for him and receiving for him, with 5-stars on defense getting him the ball back. Heck, I could probably QB that team ; )

Of more Hawaii interest: the Tagovailoa family mover to Alabama and his younger QB brother is lighting it up at their high school level.

My Cornhuskers, the less said the better. I'll recycle this: "While Iím disappointed we lost so badly, I believe in Scott Frost and will be patient. In the meantime, could the Big Ten start implementing the mercy rule and running clock for [Wisconsin]?"
It's too bad Clemson's got major injuries because I think they'd be able to go toe-to-toe with Bama. UGA can hang with the Tide. Beyond that? Not many others.

I'll say this: I've ridiculed Big12 football for a while, but it's coming back. OU is legit, and Texas is getting there.

In other news, I just hope Scott Frost can win a game before he gets committed to an insane asylum.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
No. Ole Miss is aka The University of Mississippi, located in Oxford. Their current sidelines mascot is a bizarre looking "Land Shark", though the teams are still called the Rebels.

Mississippi State University is located in Starkville. They are the Bulldogs, and their fans ring cowbells at the stadium.

The two teams are both in the SEC West, and meet in an epic annual game known as The Egg Bowl.

Kentucky plays State every year,even though Kentucky is in the SEC East.
Molon labe--Leonidas I
Old 10-05-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Kentucky plays State every year,even though Kentucky is in the SEC East.
Each team from the SEC East has one team from the SEC West they play every here. Ole' Miss plays Vandy every year. By comparison, LSU and Florida, and Auburn and Georgia are paired, which hardly seems fair.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:36 PM

Florida will beat LSU this weekend.

I've seen it already.

The prophet speaks.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:30 PM

Florida St. Vs. Miami has degenerated into some kind of performance art late in the 4th.

Quite a show!
Old 10-06-2018, 09:14 PM

Heartbreaking loss for FSU.

I expected my Noles to lose this one, but I told myself I'd be satisfied if we at least continued to show the same level of improvement we have each week since the Syracuse game.

We did, and I'm pleased with the effort they showed.