Old 10-28-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Let's see now, MSU beat Purdue, Purdue beat OSU, so it stands to reason that MSU will beat OSU.
Given the way these things work, one expects it's very likely that OSU will beat MSU, and that way, no one can establish a true pecking order.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Let's see now, MSU beat Purdue, Purdue beat OSU, so it stands to reason that MSU will beat OSU. 9-3 in an injury-riddled year looks awfully good.
Ahem. MSU is Mississippi State University--(still not Ole Miss!). You must be referring to some Non-SEC school with the same initials. Possibly Michigan State, which doesn't even play in the SEC, and therefore is inevitably inferior and unworthy of first claim to the initials MSU. I could, I suppose, accept calling them "The Non-SEC and Therefore Lesser MSU", but that's as far as I'm willing to go.
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I

Last edited by Oakminster; 10-29-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Ahem. MSU is Mississippi State University--(still not Ole Miss!). You must be referring to some Non-SEC school with the same initials. Possibly Michigan State, which doesn't even play in the SEC, and therefore is inevitably inferior and unworthy of first claim to the initials MSU. I could, I suppose, accept calling them "The Non-SEC and Therefore Lesser MSU", but that's as far as I'm willing to go.
Michigan State (1855) was established first, so Mississippi (1878) is just a pretender to the initialism throne.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:07 PM

Maryland fired their coach today after he was taken off suspension yesterday he was not winning much anyway , if he was doing well he probably would have survived

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 10-31-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:48 PM

Even with 2 losses, LSU might still be in the CFP discussion if they can keep it close against Alabama. They'd need some help, though.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
First claim? Wonder how www.msu.edu got claimed by Sparty. Michigan State's enrollment of 49,317. That southern pretender has an enrollment of 20,161. Even if you add in the University of Mississippi's meager 19,431 it still falls well short of Michigan State. Bigger, older, and a member of the AAU.

I'll say one thing about the southern MSU, at least it doesn't go by the irritating and incorrect moniker of "Ole Miss". Come on guys, "Ole" is what you say at a bullfight. The proper abbreviation for "old" would be "Ol'"

All in good fun, though. One can get a good education and compete at high athletic levels in both conferences along with many other schools.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Don’t get me started on USC....
Old 10-31-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
Don’t get me started on USC....
Oh, you mean the main university here in my home state??
Old 11-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Oh, you mean the main university here in my home state??
Yes, that’s the one!
Old 11-03-2018, 10:26 PM

I'm watching the Alabama-LSU game. I knew LSU was overrated, but they're a good team. Alabama is a great team. This might be the best Alabama team I've ever seen. Great QB (at college level anyway). Power running game. Speed at the WR position. Strong TE play. Great O-line. On defense, they can put pressure on the QB and they defend the pass better than they have in a while. I think Georgia and Clemson are the only teams left with a prayer against Bama. The Tide's first opponent in the CFP is going to get murdered.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:42 PM

I'm an LSU guy, and I fucking hate Alabama...but I gotta admit, they're the best. This is the best Alabama team I've ever seen. Maybe Clemson has a chance to beat Alabama. But I can't see anyone being able to hang with Bama for 4 quarters. If they stay healthy, they will dominate the rest of college football.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:10 AM

I think 'Bama made a clear statement tonight that they are the best team. The only team throwing up numbers that would make you think they could hang with them is Clemson. Watchout for Michigan, however, making a move on the outside.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
I think 'Bama made a clear statement tonight that they are the best team. The only team throwing up numbers that would make you think they could hang with them is Clemson. Watchout for Michigan, however, making a move on the outside.
Clemson is the only team that has any chance against Alabama. Michigan looks good now, but they'd get absolutely slaughtered by Alabama. The good news is that they might get their chance in the first round of the CFB.

I'll say this: UGA is better than Notre Dame, which plays cupcake, sissy, flag football teams.

Seriously, the final four of CFP is this:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia
4. Michigan / Notre Dame? (Doesn't matter, b/c they're both dead meat)
Old 11-04-2018, 01:11 AM

Summary this week:
Virginia (25) lost to Pittsburg 23-13.
Texas A&M (20) lost to Auburn.
Iowa (16) lost to Purdue close, 0:08 sec remaining FG. 38-36
Utah (15) rolled by Arizona State 38-20.
Florida (11) beaten by last place Missouri 38-17.
5 top 25 beaten by unranked this week.

Kentucky (9) loss to Georgia (6) - still a good showing for Kentucky, need a few more (I hate this word) elite folks each side of the ball - coaching is in place.

Penn State (14) exposed by Michigan (5) 42-7.

Texas (17) downed by West Virginia (13) in a terrific game 42-41. Last seconds 0:09 touchdown and 2-pt conversion.

Fresno State (23) big over UNLV.
NC State (21) over Florida St.
Boston College (22) over Virginia Tech.
Clemson (2) whacked Louisville.
Ohio State (10) not impressive over Nebraska 36-31.
Syracuse (19) over Wake Forest.
Iowa State (24) no problem over Kansas.
UCF (12) over Temple on Thursday.
ND (4) over Northwestern
Oklahoma (7) over Texas Tech in a shootout 51-46
Mississippi State (18) easy over Louisiana Tech.
Washington State (8) over Cal. Cal throws late interception on goal-to-goal play. Wash. St. marches the other way for the touchdown.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post

...Notre Dame, which plays cupcake, sissy, flag football teams.
I am no ND lover, but this is stupid. SEC fans are insufferable.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

FSU looked absolutely awful again. It’s not just getting beaten, but this is the most undisciplined football team I’ve ever seen. Endless penalties and cheap shots. Taggert needs to go, now!
Old 11-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
FSU looked absolutely awful again. It’s not just getting beaten, but this is the most undisciplined football team I’ve ever seen. Endless penalties and cheap shots. Taggert needs to go, now!
And turn FSU into Tennessee? Seriously, any coach needs a couple of years AT LEAST before you can judge him and Fuckbo Fisher deliberately sabotaged the program on his way out the door. We need to give Taggert time to get his program in place.

However, he does need to replace almost all* of his coordinators and position coaches during the off-season.

It's a little hard to figure out the problems on defense since the biggest problem is that they are on the field CONSTANTLY. That'll kill any team. Ask LSU.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Clemson is the only team that has any chance against Alabama. Michigan looks good now, but they'd get absolutely slaughtered by Alabama. The good news is that they might get their chance in the first round of the CFB.

I'll say this: UGA is better than Notre Dame, which plays cupcake, sissy, flag football teams.

Seriously, the final four of CFP is this:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia
4. Michigan / Notre Dame? (Doesn't matter, b/c they're both dead meat)
Not possible. Georgia and 'Bama meet in the SEC Championship, so Georgia's gonna have two losses. Probably replaced by Notre Dame. I forsee 'Bama v. ND and Clemson v. Michigan in the semi-finals, and 'Bama v. Clemson in the Final.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:00 PM

That was a weird damn game for Michigan. I'm as big as any Michigan fan there is and watched every minute of that game, and still am having trouble seeing how it adds up. They just didn't look that good. D was awesome, but the Offense never really seemed to get a rhythm, and looked like it tripped over itself as much as succeeded at anything. I just can't quite sort out how the set of plays I saw end as a 42-7 win over the 15th ranked team.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm an LSU guy, and I fucking hate Alabama...but I gotta admit, they're the best.
My niece sent me this:

Q: What do LSU and sandcastles have in common?

A: They both look good until the Tide rolls in.

My brother married into a Bama family so we've all adopted them as our college football team, but I really hope they run into a team that matches up with them. I'm a Patriots fan and the two teams seem to have a lot in common these days, although frankly Alabama has the better dynasty right now. I don't think either is particular good for football in general.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Not possible. Georgia and 'Bama meet in the SEC Championship, so Georgia's gonna have two losses. Probably replaced by Notre Dame. I forsee 'Bama v. ND and Clemson v. Michigan in the semi-finals, and 'Bama v. Clemson in the Final.
Let's have a best 2 of 3 between Bama and Clemson. Just cut the crap and get it over with.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
That was a weird damn game for Michigan. I'm as big as any Michigan fan there is and watched every minute of that game, and still am having trouble seeing how it adds up. They just didn't look that good. D was awesome, but the Offense never really seemed to get a rhythm, and looked like it tripped over itself as much as succeeded at anything. I just can't quite sort out how the set of plays I saw end as a 42-7 win over the 15th ranked team.
I agree, Penn State looked bad more than Michigan looked good. I'm not taking cheap shots at Michigan, and it's way past time for the Wolverines to make the best rivalry in all of sports great again. I'm hoping Big Blue can really start competing on a perennial basis. There's no question Michigan's good. I just don't know if they're quite as good as the game against Penn St indicated.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
I am no ND lover, but this is stupid. SEC fans are insufferable.
If ND plays Alabama, it'll be 2012/13 except worse.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
If ND plays Alabama, it'll be 2012/13 except worse.
Irrelevant to what was stupid about your post.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Irrelevant to what was stupid about your post.
Nope.

Notre Dame looks good by puffing themselves up against weaklings. They'd better hope someone beats them and spares them the embarrassment of losing to the SEC on national TV.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not possible. Georgia and 'Bama meet in the SEC Championship, so Georgia's gonna have two losses.
Impossible for them to be ranked #1 and #3. But it IS possible for them both to be in the final four if UGA wins a close contest in the SEC Champ game. Then you have a one-loss UGA and Bama just like last year. Probably need to have Michigan and/or ND crap the bed somewhere in between too.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Nope.

Notre Dame looks good by puffing themselves up against weaklings. They'd better hope someone beats them and spares them the embarrassment of losing to the SEC on national TV.
QED
Old 11-04-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
Impossible for them to be ranked #1 and #3. But it IS possible for them both to be in the final four if UGA wins a close contest in the SEC Champ game. Then you have a one-loss UGA and Bama just like last year. Probably need to have Michigan and/or ND crap the bed somewhere in between too.
nm.

Can't believe you think Georgia can actually beat 'Bama. Not happening.

Last edited by DSYoungEsq; 11-04-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
nm.

Maybe I should have emphasized the IF part. Always a chance Tua gets hurt in the Auburn game or someone catfishes a linebacker.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:23 AM

If ND finishes undefeated and Michigan wins out, it seems nearly impossible to rank Michigan ahead of ND, seeing as how the Irish won head to head.

ND's strength of schedule is not what it usually is. Some teams they've played looked really good until the Irish blew them away (Stanford, VaTech). Others remaining on the schedule aren't living up to their traditional success (FSU, USC). But, their win over Michigan is probably the best win among top 5 teams at the moment.

All that said, I don't think they can hang with 'Bama. I'd like to see ND win out and get Clemson in the first round, because I do think they can play a respectable game against them. I actually think ND is not so dissimilar from LSU. They have a decent, but not great QB and a somewhat inconsistent run game.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:36 AM

Well, I can only say that I'm in awe of Alabama. To go into that seething caldron known as LSU's home field and shut them out 29-0 is far more than just impressive.

Sure, Georgia has a great team and, sure, anything can happen in a single game but, even if Alabama should lose, there is no doubt in my mind that they are perhaps the most talented and best coached team I've ever seen in the college ranks.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:26 AM

I don't know if the Tide are the best college football team I've ever seen, but they seem to be right up there. This Tide team is probably "the total package" compared to its previous championship teams. Tua is probably the most accurate and sharpest passer I've seen from an Alabama QB (and oh BYW, Jalen Hurts is their backup and they're capable of winning a title with him coming off the bench, even if he's not nearly as good at passing down-field). The Tide have athletic receivers who are very hard to cover for an entire game. They have a great running game, as good as any they had with Ingraham and Lacey. But they're crushing it on the lines. The only thing that can stop Bama is injuries. A few key injuries and maybe a game against Georgia or Clemson could suddenly become more interesting, but other than that, I don't see how this team loses, and the opposition will struggle to keep the point margin respectable.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
Oklahoma (7) over Texas Tech in a shootout 51-46.
Great game, Texas Tech kept it close but couldn't quite seal the deal. TTU opened strong by scoring two TDs off two (!) interceptions on OU's first two possessions. But, just before the half, Tech's starting QB, Alan Bowman, took a hit that reaggravated the partially collapsed lung he'd suffered in the West Virginia game earlier this season. Hope he can come back, but take it easy, man, your health isn't worth it.

A local place that puts up funny marquee signs had one this weekend that said, "TEXANS SAY Y'ALL BECAUSE THEY CAN'T STAND OU".
Old 11-05-2018, 01:05 PM

After Nebraska's 0-6 start, things are starting to come together with Scott Frost. We went to #10 Ohio State and lost 36-31. The Buckeyes have won the last two games vs NU 62-3 and 56-14 and never punted in either game.

It didn’t really feel like “OMG, our 2-6 team almost beat the #10 team in the nation on the road!”

It felt like “Oh man, if we can stop these stupid penalties and turnovers, we should be winning this game” Special teams had a rough day, too.

Am I already getting spoiled?
Old 11-05-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
nm.

Depends on Tua getting/staying healthy. That knee injury could get worse on any play. Also depends on Hurts being ready as the back up. Their third stringer doesn't look ready for prime time in the national spotlight to me. If he has to go...Bama would be beatable.
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I

Last edited by Oakminster; 11-05-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post
After Nebraska's 0-6 start, things are starting to come together with Scott Frost. We went to #10 Ohio State and lost 36-31. The Buckeyes have won the last two games vs NU 62-3 and 56-14 and never punted in either game.

It didn’t really feel like “OMG, our 2-6 team almost beat the #10 team in the nation on the road!”

It felt like “Oh man, if we can stop these stupid penalties and turnovers, we should be winning this game” Special teams had a rough day, too.

Am I already getting spoiled?
I figured Frost would turn it around, and I agree: the loss to OSU was actually an indication of progress by Nebraska. The Huskers will probably be a 7 or 8-win team next year. The big question, and the real reason they hired Frost, is whether they can become a 10- or 11-win team and compete for Big 10 titles.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I figured Frost would turn it around, and I agree: the loss to OSU was actually an indication of progress by Nebraska. The Huskers will probably be a 7 or 8-win team next year. The big question, and the real reason they hired Frost, is whether they can become a 10- or 11-win team and compete for Big 10 titles.
It sure feels nice to complain about the little things in a 5-point loss than give up after a 40-point loss.

We certainly have the resources to make it happen (our trophy room has a waterfall and locker room has a swimming pool!). Football's changed a lot since our heydays, but with the right coach (check!) and recruiting (soon), I feel definite optimism. He's got an expensive 7-year contract, so we're in it for the long haul.

Will we be the next Alabama, like we were in the 90s? Oh, to dream. But I think its reasonable to be Wisconsin or old-rival Oklahoma: 10-11 win seasons, occasional conference titles and New Years bowl games.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubZilla View Post
It sure feels nice to complain about the little things in a 5-point loss than give up after a 40-point loss.

We certainly have the resources to make it happen (our trophy room has a waterfall and locker room has a swimming pool!). Football's changed a lot since our heydays, but with the right coach (check!) and recruiting (soon), I feel definite optimism. He's got an expensive 7-year contract, so we're in it for the long haul.

Will we be the next Alabama, like we were in the 90s? Oh, to dream. But I think its reasonable to be Wisconsin or old-rival Oklahoma: 10-11 win seasons, occasional conference titles and New Years bowl games.
I think Scott Frost is the real deal. That's why I didn't want you guys to panic and start talking about running him off mid-season. I don't care if that guy goes 0-11; Frost is a real coach. Don't just look at the wins; look that the losses. He's competing. He's creating a culture of competition at each position. That's the hallmark of a great coach. As good and as underrated as I thought Bo Pelini was, the one knock against him was that I didn't always believe that he was really and truly a teacher. He's a drill sergeant. And while drill sergeants will get you some wins because you've got some talented guys who come in and play hard because they fear getting benched, I don't think they take you to the next level. Bo Pelini is like Ed Orgeron. He'll recruit like a mother, but he won't make okay players good, and he won't make good players great. What they come in as is what they leave as. Scott Frost is different. I'd say he's Nick Saban, but he's kinder and gentler, more like Bill Walsh. But don't let that kindness fool you: that guy demands excellence and wants to win more than any guy on that field. You've got a great coach. Don't even think of getting rid of this guy. I can't guarantee Nebraska will win national championships, but I think you're gonna be competing for Big10 titles and you might at least compete for a national title once in a while. The days of Nebraska being an easy win...are over.

Last edited by asahi; 11-05-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:21 PM

I don't get the love for Clemson. Their schedule has precisely two teams that are currently ranked in the top 25. Feast on cupcakes and you get fat. I'm hoping BC upsets them this week and knocks them out of the top 4.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I don't get the love for Clemson. Their schedule has precisely two teams that are currently ranked in the top 25. Feast on cupcakes and you get fat. I'm hoping BC upsets them this week and knocks them out of the top 4.
Actually, their strength of schedule is not that different compared to Alabama's, surprisingly. I was reading about that in the Forde Yard Dash earlier today. Also, their offensive and defensive numbers are not far off 'Bama's. If anyone can handle 'Bama, it'll be Clemson.

I am NOT looking forward to the USC v Clemson game this year. Musgrave's 'Cocks are no where near Swinney's Tigers in ability or execution. Gonna be a real slaughter, I have a feeling.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Mmmm nope. Clemson is for real, and their QB is scary good.

They have just rattled off three (3) statement wins in a row.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
If ND finishes undefeated and Michigan wins out, it seems nearly impossible to rank Michigan ahead of ND, seeing as how the Irish won head to head.

But, their win over Michigan is probably the best win among top 5 teams at the moment.

All that said, I don't think they can hang with 'Bama.
Keep in mind also that ND's win against Michigan was on the road, too.

I kind of put Alabama's win at LSU a little above that, but it's a close call.

I remember the last time Notre Dame played Alabama in the college football playoffs. They were vaporized. I honestly wished that they had called the game at halftime and not make them come out on the field for yet more punishment. It was gruesome.

Last edited by Jasmine; 11-06-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Keep in mind also that ND's win against Michigan was on the road, too.

I kind of put Alabama's win at LSU a little above that, but it's a close call.

I remember the last time Notre Dame played Alabama in the college football playoffs. They were vaporized. I honestly wished that they had called the game at halftime and not make them come out on the field for yet more punishment. It was gruesome.
ND beat Michigan at ND.

Yeah, that BCS title game was over midway through the 1st quarter. Bama scored a quick TD on their opening drive. Then ND's 2nd or 3rd offensive play was a deep pass to TE Tyler Eifert, broken up, could have maybe been called PI but wasn't. 3 and out. ND was penalized 15 yards on the punt for catch interference even though the returner was not touched. You just knew those couple early breaks going Bama's way meant doom for the Irish, because it was ND that needed to catch breaks to stay in the game.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:45 PM

Maybe the refs can declare a TKO for football games.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe the refs can declare a TKO for football games.
At any point, if both teams agree, the time remaining can be shortened. Note, however, that a "running clock" cannot be used, unlike with the high school "mercy rule."
Old 11-10-2018, 07:36 PM

Baylor's QB ejected during 4th quarter drive:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...anlike-ejected

This is a ridiculous rule. How does an entire team get an unsportsmanlike penalty? If a player is on the bench staying out of the brawl, then how does he get a penalty?
Old 11-10-2018, 09:19 PM

Is there any indication that the QB for Baylor stayed on the bench and out of the brawl?

It's designed to encourage teams not to empty their benches. High school football has even more draconian rules about this.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Baylor's QB ejected during 4th quarter drive:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...anlike-ejected

This is a ridiculous rule. How does an entire team get an unsportsmanlike penalty? If a player is on the bench staying out of the brawl, then how does he get a penalty?
Eh, if the second unsportsmanlike was the brawl, I could understand it. But he had to know everyone was already on thin ice. Maybe don't run your mouth to an official? It's not like these penalties happen in a vacuum.

That said, I'm an ISU fan that couldn't watch the game, so I don't know exactly how everything transpired and will thus reserve judgement in case he said something innocuous about the ref's mother.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Eh, if the second unsportsmanlike was the brawl, I could understand it. But he had to know everyone was already on thin ice. Maybe don't run your mouth to an official? It's not like these penalties happen in a vacuum.

That said, I'm an ISU fan that couldn't watch the game, so I don't know exactly how everything transpired and will thus reserve judgement in case he said something innocuous about the ref's mother.
Missed edit window: Watched the replay of what started the entire thing - Butler's trying to get up after Lynch pulled him down, only to have Lynch wraps both of his calves up and hold him. Then Hand blasts Butler from the blind side. That's the kind of shit that ends knees. No defense either for Roberts throwing a punch AROUND an official attempting to separate him from an ISU player. Nothing I've seen shows Brewer involved, but I'd hope a few other guys got to watch the game from the locker room after that bullshit.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Is there any indication that the QB for Baylor stayed on the bench and out of the brawl?

It's designed to encourage teams not to empty their benches. High school football has even more draconian rules about this.
No. He wasn't on the bench, but nothing shows that he was involved in the brawl. Is he supposed to sprint to the locker room? He could have been trying to play peacemaker but still get tagged with the penalty. If a teammate is taking a beatdown, then it is your duty as a teammate to go help. Should this be the rule in life? I see a guy beating on an old lady, but I should stay out of it until the proper authorities show up, stop the beating, and the courts mete out the proper penalty?

This "everyone gets a penalty" is something that happens in 2nd grade when the teacher gets frustrated and nobody gets recess. The officials should determine the instigator(s) and assess a penalty for him/them, and also anyone who acts to continue the brawl. To eject a starting QB on a crucial drive under this rule is a gamechanger and, IMHO, ridiculous.

Yes, he shouldn't have said whatever in the hell he said to the official, but that is what a 15 yard penalty is for.

As the article said, it could happen in reverse. A guy gets a taunting penalty in the first quarter, and when a brawl happens in the 4th quarter, he could be sitting on the bench by the Gatorade cooler and get ejected.

I'm not even a Baylor fan, but I thought that was ridiculous.