Old 12-11-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Why, so he did. I wonder why I think of him as a first baseman more than I think of Baines (or Hal McRae) as an outfielder? Perhaps because those two held DH-position records for a decent period of time, so I associate the position with them more than with Big Hurt.
I think of Thomas as a first baseman, too. When he was at the height of his powers (winning two MVPs, all five of his All Star appearances) he was primarily a first baseman. But the next dozen years after that he was primarily a DH.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
Why, so he did. I wonder why I think of him as a first baseman more than I think of Baines (or Hal McRae) as an outfielder?
Well, Frank was certainly a very... memorable first baseman. Not in a good way, but it sure stood out.

I think it fair to say that Frank Thomas is in the running with Dave Kingman and Greg Luzinski for the most games played at DH while standing in the field.

Aside from Big Hurt, Baines and, this year, probably Edgar, the DH-est Hall of Famer I can think of is Paul Molitor. Molitor played fewer than half his games at DH - more than forty percent - but far more than at any one other position, and moving to DH is the reason he's in the Hall of Fame. Molitor was perpetually hurt when he played the field; after becoming a DH most of the time, he instantly became healthy and played almost all his team's games for ten years. It was in that stretch he amassed at least half his career value and the numbers to get to the Hall, had his monster 1993 season with the World Series ring and WS MVP award, got to 3000 hits, and so on.

Last edited by RickJay; 12-11-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I guess it's as simple as the 2,866 hits. It must have been the metric used by these voters because nothing else makes sense. He is 46th all-time. Among the Top 50, all are in the Hall, except:

Ineligible

Pete Rose
They'll let him in posthumously.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:28 PM

Andrew McCutchen gets a 3 year deal with Philly for $50m.

Jays pay Troy Tulowitzki 38m to go away.

Ivan Nova traded from the Pirates to the White Sox, Pirates are expected to receive a young pitcher & international slot money.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

That seems like a lot to pay for Cutch.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
That seems like a lot to pay for Cutch.
I think so. It also seems like it might be setting something else in motion. Maybe trading a young OF as part of the deal for an Ace.

Last edited by What Exit?; 12-11-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:02 AM

Baltimore has named former Cubs bench coach/1B coach Brandon Hyde as their new manager.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:32 AM

Does Philly signing McCutchen mean anything for their chances to get Harper?

The Reds and Dodgers are discussing a trade that could involve Homer Bailey and Yasiel Puig. Two guys their respective teams are ready to be rid of.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:33 AM
Charter Jays Fan

It was inevitable this would come. Given his health history the odds he'd be on the team for the remainder of his contract were never good.

Many, many Blue Jay fans today are engaged in public demonstrations of their ignorance of the concept of a sunk cost.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Does Philly signing McCutchen mean anything for their chances to get Harper?
ESPN says that McCutchen's deal sets Philly up for either Harper or Machado.

Last edited by Superdude; 12-12-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:55 PM

Reports are coming in from many sources that Yanks are close to signing Happ for 2 years with a 3rd year that locks in based on innings pitched for the first 2 years.

Hopefully it is announced tomorrow with more details.

Meanwhile Lance Lynn to Texas for 3 years and $30m total.

Morton is close to signing with Tampa, I'm a little surprised. I'm seeing 2 yrs for $30m.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I know he's got some health issues, but I'd much rather have had Charlie Morton than Happ. At least it's only for 2/3 years.
And I guess this means we're not trading for Kluber/Thor/Grienke...
Old 12-13-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
I know he's got some health issues, but I'd much rather have had Charlie Morton than Happ. At least it's only for 2/3 years.
And I guess this means we're not trading for Kluber/Thor/Grienke...
(my bolding & color)

Look deeper into Morton and Happ. Check their splits at Yankee Stadium & Fenway and against the AL East in general. Happ is a better bet and generally pitches more often.

Happ was probably the best free agent fit for the Yanks.

Cashman did not rule out a trade for an Ace, though sub Bumgarner for Greinke. I've seen no mention of Grienke to the Yanks and he seems like a poor fit with a bad contract.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:04 AM

Dodgers sign Joe Kelly for 3 years at $25M. They definitely do need to improve their bullpen. I'm a little surprised the Red Sox didn't at least match that and make him the new closer. Craig Kimbrel apparently thinks he's worth $100M. I would disagree with him.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Dodgers sign Joe Kelly for 3 years at $25M. They definitely do need to improve their bullpen. I'm a little surprised the Red Sox didn't at least match that and make him the new closer.
I don't know, I would be worried as the Red Sox using Joe Kelly as my closer. In 21 games and 40 innings he has a 4.95 ERA vs. the Yanks and he has never been a closer.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I don't know, I would be worried as the Red Sox using Joe Kelly as my closer. In 21 games and 40 innings he has a 4.95 ERA vs. the Yanks and he has never been a closer.
I hear tell that the Red Sox face other teams besides the Yankees (and vice versa). It's true though that Kelly, while very effective on occasion is not exactly a shut-down closer type.

In other reliever news, the Mets decided it would be a good idea to bring back Jeurys Familia for three years and $30 million. With Diaz on the staff, Familia will probably be loading the bases in the 8th inning or earlier in his new role.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I hear tell that the Red Sox face other teams besides the Yankees (and vice versa). It's true though that Kelly, while very effective on occasion is not exactly a shut-down closer type.
But they are each others biggest foe and if they end up in a tight pennant race, it would suck if your closer is the reason you don't win the division.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
But they are each others biggest foe and if they end up in a tight pennant race, it would suck if your closer is the reason you don't win the division.
According to this logic, the Yankees should dump Aroldis Chapman as closer in favor of Zach Britton (Chapman had a mediocre record against Boston in 2018, allowing opposing hitters a .281 average, while Britton held them to .067). Never mind that Chapman had his first All-Star season since 2015, converted 32 of 34 save chances and led major league relievers in strikeout ratio (16.31 per 9 innings).

GMs tend to pick players based on how they can help the team overall, rather than catering to fans' obsession with a perceived chief rival.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 12-13-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dodgers sign Joe Kelly for 3 years at $25M. They definitely do need to improve their bullpen.
And maybe he wanted to go home to Cali.
Quote:
I'm a little surprised the Red Sox didn't at least match that and make him the new closer.
I'm not. They've seen for years how inconsistent he is. That said, they do need another arm or two out of the pen. That was a weak spot all of last year, and it's now weaker. That had a lot to do with using starters in relief in October.
Quote:
Craig Kimbrel apparently thinks he's worth $100M. I would disagree with him.
Gotta start the negotiations somewhere. Can't hurt to ask.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
According to this logic, the Yankees should dump Aroldis Chapman as closer in favor of Zach Britton (Chapman had a mediocre record against Boston in 2018, allowing opposing hitters a .281 average, while Britton held them to .067). Never mind that Chapman had his first All-Star season since 2015, converted 32 of 34 save chances and led major league relievers in strikeout ratio (16.31 per 9 innings).

GMs tend to pick players based on how they can help the team overall, rather than catering to fans' obsession with a perceived chief rival.
Or we can go back to the fact that Kelly has shown little sign that he is a closer and it is just some fans' pet idea. His ERA is pretty high for someone you want to close games on a team with nearly the highest payroll, don't you think?
Old 12-13-2018, 01:19 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Three-team trade sends Edwin Ancurna—Encanoci—Arcanac—er, Encarnacion to the Mariners and Carlos Santana back to the Indians.

(With apologies to Gary Thorne)
Old 12-13-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
His record against the Yankees doesn't mean much.

Having sdaid that, Joe Kelly just isn't worth a big commitment. Nothing about him suggests he's worth a multi-year deal; he is not an unusually good relief pitcher by any measure at all, isn't young, and there is no statistical marker to suggest he will magically get better. He pitched great in the World Series, but that's one week. Guys like Kelly are available for much more reasonable prices.

As to the Edwin trade, so let me get this straight - the Mariners have been hacking payroll like crazy to rebuild, so they went and traded for an expensive 36-year-old DH? Huh?

Last edited by RickJay; 12-13-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
As to the Edwin trade, so let me get this straight - the Mariners have been hacking payroll like crazy to rebuild, so they went and traded for an expensive 36-year-old DH? Huh?
They're apparently flipping him to Tampa.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
...Look deeper into Morton and Happ. Check their splits at Yankee Stadium & Fenway and against the AL East in general. Happ is a better bet and generally pitches more often...
The scuttlebutt on Morton is that Astros Mgmt is not convinced he will make it through another year injury free. Particularly not if they have to risk either 15 million a year or 17.8 million a year (the amount of the Qualifying Offer the Astros could have given him). IMHO, they'd have to be absolutely convinced that his arm will grenade sometime around June or July, in order to not have made a QO towards him. As it is, they have to replace 3/5 of their starting rotation, since Keuchel's gone and McCullers is out with Tommy John surgery until 2020.

Given that, I'd have made the QO 10 times out of 10, and faded the injury risk, rather than try to replace 3 guys instead of 2 (who were good for 500 IP at about a 3.3 ERA and a 1.2 ish WHIP, IIRC.) with bullpen pitchers or rookies. Especially when SP is what carried the Astros last year. Of course, it could just be as simple as the Astros are a medium market team, with significant players approaching the end of arbitration and beginning of FA, and ownership just wants to save money now in order to later deal with trying to retain guys like Cole, Springer, and Correa.

I have another question for you all. I think we may have covered a bit of it in the past, but here goes: whose WAR calculation for pitching is considered decent these days, and what goes into calculating it? I bring this up in light of the previous Astros discussion. One of the candidates to go into the starting rotation for 2019 is Collin McHugh. He did very well in the BP for 2018 and often was the only reliable arm there.

In 2014 he came in something like 5th for RoY voting, throwing about 150 innings at a 2.7 ish ERA and a 1.0 ish WHIP. According to BBRef, this was good for 4.0 WAR. Fangraphs had him at 3.2 WAR. In 2016, he pitched about 180 innings, at around a 4.3 ERA, with a 1.4 WHIP. BBRef had him at 1.0 WAR. Fangraphs at 3.0 WAR. WTF?! Same ballpark, same team.

I get that BBRef's defense calculations are a little spotty when it comes to dWAR, and that Fangraphs's are supposed to be better. I am having difficulty though with the idea that you can have an ERA 1.5 greater, a WHIP 0.4 greater, and that only penalizes you about 0.2 WAR.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Or we can go back to the fact that Kelly has shown little sign that he is a closer and it is just some fans' pet idea. His ERA is pretty high for someone you want to close games on a team with nearly the highest payroll, don't you think?
No argument there. I've posted two comments in the last couple of pages to the effect that Kelly often gets into trouble in relief, despite his blazing speed.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 12-13-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:54 PM

Michael Brantley signed with Houston but otherwise the free agent market has been relatively quiet. Sounds like it's still pretty wide open for Harper, maybe the Phillies are the favorite, but there are a ton of teams rumored to be interested and it seems like more every day. Today I saw articles about why the Mariners and Twins should sign him.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:01 PM

Cubs sign Daniel Descalso to a 2-year, $5mil deal with a club option for 2021.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:26 PM

Donnie Murphy signs with Colorado
Old 12-20-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Donnie Murphy signs with Colorado
Who?
Old 12-21-2018, 02:20 AM

Oops. Daniel Murphy. Dunno where I got Donnie.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:45 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Dodgers deal Puig, Wood and Kemp. Off to the Reds in exchange for Homer Bailey, who expects to be released.

Basically a cost-cutting trade that opens up the outfield for going after Harper, for example.

I expected a trade like this, but expected the Dodgers to get some pitching in return, not someone like Bailey.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Basically a cost-cutting trade that opens up the outfield for going after Harper, for example.
Sounds like the Dodgers. Trade one bad teammate, big bat for another 'big bat' (Harper's bat hasn't been that big lately), bad teammate that's more expensive. And they wonder why the Series stays out of reach...

Last edited by Zakalwe; 12-21-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:25 PM

Here's what I said in a different thread on this topic:

Seems like the Dodgers, purely on a player-skill basis, got hosed. Yeah, Bailey will get released. But the other two prospects involved aren't nearly what LA gave up, especially with the extra money they sent to Cincinnati.

It's gotta be a salary dump for the Dodgers. They needed payroll relief and an outfield position open if they want to seriously pursue Bryce Harper.

I'm surprised the Reds did this move, unless they plan on trading one or both somewhere else. Or maybe they've already ceded the division, and want to hang on to Kemp and Puig for a possible trade-deadline move for prospects
Old 12-22-2018, 07:43 AM

CC Sabathia has heart surgery.

Sabathia had a stent inserted to correct an arterial blockage. He's supposed to be ready to go come spring training, but it seems unusual. I can't remember a professional athlete having any type of heart surgery and returning to the field of play. I know baseball is different (just look at CC, lol), but still. Now more than ever the Yankees need another well above average starter in order to compete with the Red Sox, Rays, Astros and whoever else.

I really, really don't want Machado. If Andujar had managed to be a serviceable fielder and Didi didn't wreck his elbow, it probably wouldn't happen. A series of unfortunate facts.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude
I'm surprised the Reds did this move, unless they plan on trading one or both somewhere else. Or maybe they've already ceded the division, and want to hang on to Kemp and Puig for a possible trade-deadline move for prospects
Or they think they can make a playoff run right now. If it doesn't work out and they're headed for another 90-loss season, they could trade both for minor league sub-phenoms.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 12-22-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:55 AM

I'm just glad the Reds did SOMETHING to get better (unlike the staid, boring, Chevy Lumina driving Bengals owner Mike Brown).

This move has obvious potential for the Reds offense. Adding two .290 outfielders that his 25 dingers a year and 90 RBI's? Yes please.

Rumor has it that the Reds are now in hot pursuit of Cory Kluber...and we already got Wood in the Dodgers deal as well. so our rotation has been beefed up as well.

Lots of talent...we'll see I guess.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:

I really, really don't want Machado. If Andujar had managed to be a serviceable fielder and Didi didn't wreck his elbow, it probably wouldn't happen. A series of unfortunate facts.
Yeah, Machado about nothing.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:25 PM

It'll be fun when the Yankees sign Machado and their fans pretend they're disappointed.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
It'll be fun when the Yankees sign Machado and their fans pretend they're disappointed.
And even funnier when Machado wilts under the booing and scorn those moron Yankee fans reign down on him the first time he doesn't hustle. NY is probably the second worst place he could wind up on a long term contract..behind only Philly.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
And even funnier when Machado wilts under the booing and scorn those moron Yankee fans reign down on him the first time he doesn't hustle. NY is probably the second worst place he could wind up on a long term contract..behind only Philly.
So... you're pro not hustling?
Old 12-23-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Yankee View Post
So... you're pro not hustling?
I'm pro hustling. Manny himself claimed that hustling wasn't his thing. Iirc, Steinbrenner said he wouldn't be interested in signing him without a face to face meeting. Manny doesn't have the type A personality that would endear him to Yankee fans.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:19 AM

God knows what you're on about it, but Yankees fans like the same kind of players all fan bases like. Except Boston, of course.

Machado's hustle, or lack thereof, wasn't really an issue anywhere until he brought it up.

The big turn off is the dirty play. Kicking the first baseman wasn't an isolated incident. Manny is a petulant little jerk with poor impulse control. It will happen again. Still, he's a tremendous player. I like him a lot as a third baseman, hopefully in Chicago or Philly, but if it's New York then we'll root for him. What can you do?
Old 12-25-2018, 01:43 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
CC Sabathia has heart surgery.

Sabathia had a stent inserted to correct an arterial blockage. He's supposed to be ready to go come spring training, but it seems unusual. I can't remember a professional athlete having any type of heart surgery and returning to the field of play. I know baseball is different (just look at CC, lol), but still.
(bolding mine)

Other than Kenley Jansen?
Old 12-25-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asimovian View Post
(bolding mine)

Other than Kenley Jansen?
Completely missed that. I guess neither have actually returned yet, so who knows?
Old 12-25-2018, 08:11 PM
The Zeroeth Mod

Quote:
Completely missed that. I guess neither have actually returned yet, so who knows?
Kenley just had his second heart surgery this off season. He returned successfully from the first a couple of years ago.

Obviously hoping for similar success for C.C.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:45 PM

Huh, well whadda ya know? I must confess I don't follow the minor leagues that closely. It wouldn't surprise me if there are many more examples.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:43 AM

Yankees expected to sign Machado.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Yankees expected to sign Machado.
The Machado stories don't appear to be more than a strong rumor so far. I would wait a few more days to see what is actually announced.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:49 PM

Yankees sign Troy Tulowitzki

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...roy-tulowitzki
Old 01-02-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I would laugh my ass off if this was the final free agent signing by the Yankees this offseason.

Well, not really. Could always use more pitching, but it would be better for baseball if Machado went to Philly and Harper signed with the White Sox.