Old 01-07-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Wentz is the better/younger/more upside QB. I'm curious why, after a game where he threw two interceptions and had a woeful 77.7 passer rating, you would say that Foles has "demonstrably shown" that he is better than Wentz. Foles, like most average NFL QBs, has had very good games (last years' playoff run), and very bad games (his final two starts before the playoffs last year), and a big chunk of "Meh" games (most of his career before last years' playoff run). He just so happened to have his very good games at very opportune times, ala Joe Flacco or Eli Manning. But overall, he has not "demonstrably shown" he's better than Wentz.
Foles was brilliant against the best defense in the NFL. He kept his team close and engineered a playoff win on the road. This is the second season Foles has led the Eagles to playoff victories.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 AM

I'm not a big football fan, but had heard of icing the kicker. Did not realize, tho, that the kicker frequently got a kick off while being "iced."
Old 01-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
I'm not a big football fan, but had heard of icing the kicker. Did not realize, tho, that the kicker frequently got a kick off while being "iced."
I imagine that it's usually a matter of the timeout coming at the moment before the long snapper snaps the ball, and so the ball is still snapped. At that point, the holder and kicker may well have been coached to go through with the kick, in case the timeout didn't actually come through before the snap.

In the case of last night's game, it seemed like the snap was made at least a full second after the officials blew the whistle to stop the play.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

That can also happen because there's a risk of injury if the kicker tries to stop the kick once he's started the motion. That's the same reason a baseball pitcher will usually complete a pitch once he's started it even if time is called.

Also, if there's any question about the footing or the wind, the "iced" kick lets a kicker assess them and adjust as required.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 01-07-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:07 PM

League ought to change the rules so that no timeouts are permitted within the last few seconds of a ball about to be snapped on an FG try. Something about this yanking-the-carpet-out from under people's emotions as the timeout is called right AS the ball is kicked is just wrong.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
League ought to change the rules so that no timeouts are permitted within the last few seconds of a ball about to be snapped on an FG try. Something about this yanking-the-carpet-out from under people's emotions as the timeout is called right AS the ball is kicked is just wrong.
Thatís valid but it also rewards a coach who has the foresight to keep a time out in his pocket for just such an occasion.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The Bears had better fire that kicker tonight.
If they do, it will cost them $5.25 million--the remaining guaranteed portion of his contract. Of course, $5.25 million is chump change to an NFL team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq
The League has confirmed that the referees got it right on review. On review of a called incomplete pass where the other option is a catch followed by a fumble, the call of incomplete can only be overturned if there was a clear recovery of the "fumble." If not, the play must stand as incomplete.
And, speaking of people who should be fired, NBC should fire that former referee who was in the booth as an alleged "rules guru" and not only didn't know the rules, but unnecessarily and incorrectly dumped on his former colleagues.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Foles was brilliant against the best defense in the NFL.
Brilliant? He threw two interceptions, including one in the red zone. We have vastly different definitions of the word "brilliant".

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool
He kept his team close and engineered a playoff win on the road.
The Bears offensive ineptitude in the first half and the kicking game was what kept his team close. Foles played fine after those two picks, sure, but the inability of the Bears to score points in the first half and a boinked field goal attempt were what led the Eagles win, not Foles' "brilliant" play.

Last edited by Hamlet; 01-07-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Great idea. The NFL hasn't changed any of its rules in at least a week.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
So, what is the cutoff? And what if the offensive coach notices he has 12 men on the field - can he not call timeout to avoid the penalty?

And I agree the last-second TO call is childish. Maybe just not have an official standing right next to the coach, requiring said coach to get some official's attention?

I'm assuming that an official doesn't normally stand right next to the sideline.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Brilliant? He threw two interceptions, including one in the red zone. We have vastly different definitions of the word "brilliant".

The Bears offensive ineptitude in the first half and the kicking game was what kept his team close. Foles played fine after those two picks, sure, but the inability of the Bears to score points in the first half and a boinked field goal attempt were what led the Eagles win, not Foles' "brilliant" play.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...gles-vs-bears/

The Washington Post doesn't agree with you. I'm not an Eagles fan but Files has been brilliant when he has been called upon. All credit to him.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:48 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I'm assuming that an official doesn't normally stand right next to the sideline.
Actually, there are several who do. As this picture in the Wikipedia article on football officials shows, there are two (the Line Judge and the Down Judge) who stand at the line of scrimmage, one at each sideline.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...gles-vs-bears/

The Washington Post doesn't agree with you.
You do realize the word "brilliant" isn't in that article at all, let alone describing Foles' play.

Foles is a great story, and, at times, can play very, very well indeed. But his two interceptions could (and should) have cost them the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool
I'm not an Eagles fan but Files has been brilliant when he has been called upon. All credit to him.
All credit, but no blame whatsoever. Got it.

Like I said, Foles is a great story. Who doesn't love the "underdog backup QB who plays amazing when the lights are the brightest" story that he embodies. It's fun. It's cute. It adds a sense of magic to the game. But confusing that storyline with actual "brilliant" play when he threw two interceptions and did just barely enough to eke out a win thanks to a blown field goal try that should have been good, is just silly.

By all means, enjoy him. Enjoy the story. Enjoy his success. Like I said, it's fun.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Your Boys are going to be handled next week like altar boys in a room full of drunk priests.
I predict that LA will win, but it might not be the mismatch everyone assumes it to be. If the Cowboys defensive can stop Gurley, they've got a chance. The Rams defense is a potential liability, but I suspect Wade Phillips is going to scheme his ass off against his former team.

Last edited by asahi; 01-07-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Maybe just not have an official standing right next to the coach, requiring said coach to get some official's attention?
I always assumed the coach tells the official beforehand "I'm going to call a TO at the last possible second" so the official is ready with his whistle to stop play.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I know thereís evidence that the kick was tipped so it might not be his fault, but sometimes the timing or the way the ball is kicked can make it easier for a defender to get a hand on it, so that doesnít necessarily absolve him of all blame.
From the video, it looks like Hester was still at the line of scrimmage, and jumped at most a foot to get a hand on the ball. So that's still 100% the kicker's fault, IMHO. For a 43 yard kick, he absolutely should have had a high enough trajectory that it was out of reach by the line of scrimmage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
I always assumed the coach tells the official beforehand "I'm going to call a TO at the last possible second" so the official is ready with his whistle to stop play.
Absolutely. You can often see the coach talking to the ref as the clock winds down, waiting for when he's going to call it.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:31 PM

Bumping this because people seem to have forgotten it existed and are posting about the playoffs in the old thread.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:17 AM

Even without Hunt, the Chiefs still put up about 30 or more points per game. Can the Colts maybe shave some points off the Chiefs normal productivity and can Andrew Luck's offense keep up? And is Andy Reid a coaching leopard who can change his spots and still attack in the 3rd and 4th quarters if the game is close? I know I shouldn't, but I'm going with Indy in a tight one, 30-28 on a Vinatieri field goal in the closing seconds. One thing to keep an eye on: as bad as KC's defense has been all year, it did seem to improve a little in the last 2 games. Granted, they didn't play great teams, but it'll be interesting to see if defensive adjustments help against Indy.

I'll go with the Rams over the Cowboys, but I wouldn't say that they're exactly a lock coming into this game, but I think the Rams have too many weapons and they've had 2 weeks to recuperate and they've seen the Cowboys on tape.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:51 AM

If the Colts, Chargers, Rams, and Eagles win, then the Chargers would host the AFC Championship. I believe that they’d probably have to move the game to the Rose Bowl, because their home field, the StubHub Center, only has a seating capacity of 27,000, and I don’t imagine that they’d have both Championship games at the Coluseum.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:55 AM

Apparently, the Coliseum would host both games.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
Apparently, the Coliseum would host both games.
And they might move one to Monday night if that happens.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
And they might move one to Monday night if that happens.
Which I think is cool. They should probably do it anyway and have an extra day of football.

Well, unless itís the normal MNF broadcasting crew, thatís a negative.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:37 PM

I hope the Colts can pull off a win over the Chiefs. That would be epic.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
One thing to keep an eye on: as bad as KC's defense has been all year, it did seem to improve a little in the last 2 games. Granted, they didn't play great teams, but it'll be interesting to see if defensive adjustments help against Indy.
KC allowed 38 points in Seattle (a playoff team) in Week 16. Then they allowed only 3 to the Raiders, who turned the ball over 4 times and looked totally disinterested in playing.

The conditions at Arrowhead are frightful...cold, windy, and still snowing. I think that favors the Colts, who have a better run game than KC. I'll also pick the Colts in a close one...23-21 sounds about right.

As a Chiefs fan, I am prepared for another season-ending disappointment.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:13 PM

I'm going with Colts, Chargers, Rams and EAGLES as winners this week. More of that is hope than analysis, but you never know.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
I hope the Colts can pull off a win over the Chiefs. That would be epic.
The Colts will probably do better on the second KC drive if the Indy defense actually goes out on the field.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
KC allowed 38 points in Seattle (a playoff team) in Week 16. Then they allowed only 3 to the Raiders, who turned the ball over 4 times and looked totally disinterested in playing.

The conditions at Arrowhead are frightful...cold, windy, and still snowing. I think that favors the Colts, who have a better run game than KC. I'll also pick the Colts in a close one...23-21 sounds about right.

As a Chiefs fan, I am prepared for another season-ending disappointment.
Turns out, we both totally missed it. KC's defense is actually starting to improve, and they inflicted a beat down on a quality offense. And it turns out, Adam Vinatieri might have cost them the game.

I knew Andy Reid would have KC off to a fast start - he always prepares well. It's just a matter of whether his teams can finish games. KC won in almost every phase of the game except for special teams, and the irony is that the blocked kick in the end zone ended up putting the already-tired Colts defense right back on the field.

Congrats to KC!
Old 01-12-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Turns out, we both totally missed it. KC's defense is actually starting to improve, and they inflicted a beat down on a quality offense. And it turns out, Adam Vinatieri might have cost them the game.

I knew Andy Reid would have KC off to a fast start - he always prepares well. It's just a matter of whether his teams can finish games. KC won in almost every phase of the game except for special teams, and the irony is that the blocked kick in the end zone ended up putting the already-tired Colts defense right back on the field.

Congrats to KC!
I am happy to be wrong today! I was shocked to see how good the Chiefs D played today. And, other than the blocked punt, really everything went KC's way in the first half, especially the missed FG by Mr. Reliable.

Now, had you told me that Mahomes would have ZERO touchdown passes today, I would have figured that the Chiefs would be on the short end of the score. Now we can look forward to hosting the AFC championship game next Sunday.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:53 PM

Congratulations to the Chiefs. My Colts were beaten by a better team. After winning our first playoff games against KC, you guys were due.

I'm rooting for you to win it all, now.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:24 PM

Its fucking exhausting listening to Aikman and Buck talk about Cole Beasley and his injury. Dude is an adequate slot receiver, and they're talking him up like he's Randy fucking Hutson-Rice. As if his injury will be the reason the Cowboys might not win.

Pays to be a white WR in Dallas.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:47 PM

The Rams have that jet sweep down pat. Hell, even I could keep my eyes on that last one for Cooks.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Not surprised that the Rams won, but was definitely surprised at how the Cowboys were dominated by the running game. And if the Rams can run like that against the remaining defenses, the remaining 3 teams after today are going to be in some trouble.

Meanwhile, in today's action, I had initially thought that the Pats would face the Ravens, but now that they're up against the Chargers, it's a harder game to call. I like the Charges of 2018, but I also know I'll regret picking against Bellichick's and Brady's genius. I'll have to take the Pats, considering they've not been denied a trip to the AFC title game in, what, 9 years?

I'm going with New Orleans but I think it'll be a close game.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Not surprised that the Rams won, but was definitely surprised at how the Cowboys were dominated by the running game. And if the Rams can run like that against the remaining defenses, the remaining 3 teams after today are going to be in some trouble.

Meanwhile, in today's action, I had initially thought that the Pats would face the Ravens, but now that they're up against the Chargers, it's a harder game to call. I like the Charges of 2018, but I also know I'll regret picking against Bellichick's and Brady's genius. I'll have to take the Pats, considering they've not been denied a trip to the AFC title game in, what, 9 years?

I'm going with New Orleans but I think it'll be a close game.
Pats have been to the last 7 AFC championship games, and their record is 4-3 in those games. Last time they didn't go was following the 2010 season, when they were beaten by the Jets in the divisional round.

Patriots are 3 1/2 point favorites, and the Saints are 8 1/2 point favorites. I'd take both of the favorites if I were to bet on the games. Which means, of course, that the underdogs will both cover.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:45 PM

Pretty horrific officiating call last night - the ref ruled that Dak was sacked on 3rd down - by a fellow Cowboys player!

That being said, Dallas couldn't expect to win when surrendering 273 rushing yards.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:34 PM

An LA/LA Super Bowl is looking extremely unlikely at this point.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:54 PM

There's not enough Patriots love in this thread.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliana View Post
8th straight AFC championship with the Patriots in it. Itís hard to be excited about that.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
8th straight AFC championship with the Patriots in it. Itís hard to be excited about that.
Speak for yourself
Old 01-13-2019, 05:10 PM

The folks at Westlake High School is Austin are torn between rooting for Drew Brees, class of ‘97, or Nick Foles, class of ‘07.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:12 PM

Football was a better game before the 2004 pass interference "focus" changes meant to cater to Peyton Manning. This game feels like a throwback to that, where the DBs can play a bit.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliana View Post
It's calm confidence. Let the yahoos of the one-year-wonder teams get excited.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Football was a better game before the 2004 pass interference "focus" changes meant to cater to Peyton Manning. This game feels like a throwback to that, where the DBs can play a bit.
Eagles drive saved by a tickytack DPI call. But comes to nothing.

Last edited by Hamlet; 01-13-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Saints impressed me. After a horrible start they recovered nicely. They can all but seal the win with a good drive now.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:40 PM

Poor Alshon.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:51 PM

Conference championship games feel "right" for this year. What were clearly the three best teams this year, plus what has been clearly the best team over the last 20.

Last edited by wolfman; 01-13-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:00 PM

Geaux Saints! I'm so relieved. What a game.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:04 PM

All home teams won this weekend.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Pretty horrific officiating call last night - the ref ruled that Dak was sacked on 3rd down - by a fellow Cowboys player!
I loved that call, and not even because I hate the Cowboys. I loved that finally, FINALLY, a bullshit ticky-tack protect-the-QB call ended up hurting the offense instead of the defense. 7249 more of those and we'll start to reach equilibrium.

My favorite part of this weekend was from the Eagles @ Saints game, when they put up the "He's Mr. Clutch!" graphic about how Nick Foles was 79.2% completions on 3rd & 4th down, 10 TDs, 1 Int, and had a passer rating of like 138.

Of course I immediately thought to myself "Now watch he shits the bed on 3rd down in this game." And yep; his next four 3rd down passes were incomplete. Five if you count the one that was rendered moot by a defensive penalty.

All four teams I was rooting for won, and now I'm totally on the Chiefs bandwagon. (It helps that Kelce and Williams carried my fantasy team to victory this year.) I'd love to see a Chiefs/Rams Superbowl, but if it happens I'll be bummed it came too late for a Missouri showdown.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 01-13-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 PM

To whoever it was wondering upthread why the Eagles are committed to Carson Wentz over Nick Foles for the long-term: that's why.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
All home teams won this weekend.
And by extension, no team that played Wildcard Weekend is playing in the Conference Championships.