Old 02-03-2019, 10:38 PM

From my Twitter feed:

#BREAKING: Super Bowl LIII has concluded and the Detroit Lions didn't lose, extending the franchise's record 53-year streak of not losing the Super Bowl.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:39 PM

Also, just saw this on ESPN:

The Michel TD run was the only red-zone play of the game. For both teams.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Edelman.
This is the case, and deserved (he was named MVP). As I said before at one point he was the only part of either offense that was playing at an elite level.

Cooks started to step up late, but it was too late (and not enough).

Last edited by Atamasama; 02-03-2019 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:09 PM

13-3. One team scored just one drop goal, or field goal as you guys call it and if I did my sums correctly, the winning team scored o e TD and 2 field goals.
Was the defending that good or the attack just that bad?
Old 02-03-2019, 11:18 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
Well, that was pretty much a waste of 3.5 hours.
Yes. Boring first three quarters, horrible horrible halftime show, and the Patriots win at the end. Yech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Yes.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
13-3. One team scored just one drop goal, or field goal as you guys call it and if I did my sums correctly, the winning team scored o e TD and 2 field goals.
The Rams were the second-highest scoring team in the NFL this season; the Patriots were the fifth-highest scoring team.

When two prolific offenses are held in check, credit has to be given to the defenses.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:29 PM

That was easily the worst Super Bowl I've ever watched. Not that I had to really WATCH the game, as it didn't have anything exciting enough to warrant really pulling my attention from the iMessage conversation I was having with a ex-girlfriend about her new boyfriend.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
The Patriots are now the undisputed most successful franchise in the history of the NFL. The Cowboys, 49ers, and Steelers can no longer make that claim.
How so?

Personally, I loved the game itself - it's always said the game is won in the trenches, and that was never more obvious than tonight. The defensive fronts for both teams manhandled their offensive counterparts, and it cascaded through the entire team.

I've said elsewhere - if you can't find the beauty in two of the top offenses in the NFL getting told to sit the hell down, I feel for your soul.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
How so?
Assuming youíre responding to the text youíd quoted, itís simply because no other franchise has 6 Super Bowl wins. Especially not with the same head coach and QB for all of them.

Though the rest of your comment seems like a non sequitur so Iím not sure if you are.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:50 AM

I much prefer defensive struggles than offensive blowouts. But I also prefer college to pro football.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:53 AM

One thing I enjoyed was Romo explaining things and making predictions. He’s really good. He should be the Super Bowl guy from now on.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:55 AM

I rather enjoyed that game, but then again I appreciate that football is more than just offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Assuming youíre responding to the text youíd quoted, itís simply because no other franchise has 6 Super Bowl wins.
The "Sixburgh" Steelers do.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:03 AM

Patriots have won 3 more AFC title games than Pittsburgh, and are also 3-0 against the Steelers in the playoffs. Not much of a contest. And who knows, Brady and Belichick might even get to 7# next year.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Assuming youíre responding to the text youíd quoted, itís simply because no other franchise has 6 Super Bowl wins. Especially not with the same head coach and QB for all of them.

Though the rest of your comment seems like a non sequitur so Iím not sure if you are.
The Steelers haven't won 6 Super Bowls? Guess all those shiny graphics and data sets and history notebooks have it wrong. While the Patriots are indeed the team of the last two decades, proclaiming them undeniably "BEST EVAR" happily ignores almost a century of NFL history. I'd argue that winning in multiple eras, like the Steelers, is a sign of greatness in a franchise, not just a coach/QB combo. Hell, Green Bay only needed 7 seasons to be the best in the NFL five times, not 15.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:29 AM

I think a lot of the patriots mystique faded after that game …….
Old 02-04-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
The Steelers haven't won 6 Super Bowls? Guess all those shiny graphics and data sets and history notebooks have it wrong. While the Patriots are indeed the team of the last two decades, proclaiming them undeniably "BEST EVAR" happily ignores almost a century of NFL history. I'd argue that winning in multiple eras, like the Steelers, is a sign of greatness in a franchise, not just a coach/QB combo. Hell, Green Bay only needed 7 seasons to be the best in the NFL five times, not 15.
And Chuck Noll had more class in his little toe than Belichick will ever have in his entire body. Ditto the Rooneys. (RIP, Dan and Art)

(Besides, we never had to cheat)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 02-04-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:43 AM

I think a lot of the displeasure/boredom people had watching the game wasn't necessarily because it was a defensive rather than offensive struggle, it's because it never felt like the Rams had much of a chance. We were watching the Pats win their 90th superbowl in the last 5 years and that's just the opposite of fun. Sure, it wasn't a blowout, but we all know the feeling of the inevitable Patriots win.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
And Chuck Noll had more class in his little toe than Belichick will ever have in his entire body. Ditto the Rooneys. (RIP, Dan and Art)

(Besides, we never had to cheat)
Isn't the 70s Steelers dynasty the poster child for cheating with steroids? (A much more serious type of cheating than anything the Patriots have been accused of.)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Halftime. I had no idea who any of those acts were.
Loved this quote.
Quote:
Maroon 5, masterful at creating hits that take an active mental effort to distinguish from one another, did not enter this gig with the burden of great expectations.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:26 AM

the other thing is everyone wasn't doing anything that they weren't already doing back in week 8 so almost nothing was surprising in the 2 minutes I watched one of the commentators even said as much

as someone said on another board I read" it was a good game for the regular season...not so much for the super bowl"
Old 02-04-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I rather enjoyed that game, but then again I appreciate that football is more than just offense.

The "Sixburgh" Steelers do.
Yes, but the Patriots have pretty much left the Steelers behind in terms of Super Bowl appearances and AFC Title Game appearances. In fact, even if they had lost the Super Bowl, consider the fact that they've been to the AFC title game, the NFL's final four, 8 straight years. The last time they didn't make it, they were 14-2 and the number one seed, ironically. The Patriots sustained high level of achievement is simply unparalleled in the NFL - in any era over the last century. The Patriots are becoming a super dominant franchise, like the New York Yankees in baseball.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Loved this quote.
The Super Bowl is becoming a consistently good game, or at least a consistently competitive game. But it's becoming way, way too corporate in many other respects. Culturally, as an event that attracts artistic creativity in its live performances and marketing, it's stale and vapid.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I think a lot of the displeasure/boredom people had watching the game wasn't necessarily because it was a defensive rather than offensive struggle, it's because it never felt like the Rams had much of a chance. We were watching the Pats win their 90th superbowl in the last 5 years and that's just the opposite of fun. Sure, it wasn't a blowout, but we all know the feeling of the inevitable Patriots win.
I don't know what game you were watching but the Rams had a chance to win most of the game. The problem is, the real MVP, the Patriots defense, dominated that game. The Rams defense played great in their own respect, but the Pats just came up with huge play after huge play. The Patriots defense was so dominant, it wasn't just affecting Goff, it affected how McVay approached the game. I get the sense McVay and the Rams were confident that they would eventually start to get their looks on offense and that the field would open up - it did for a play or two, but never more than that. I wonder what would have happened if McVay had utilized a hurry-up offense with a little more misdirection, but I don't think that's really their style, and that was obviously never even considered as a backup in case their offense never got going. The assumption was, the offense would eventually kick start itself.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:14 AM

Steelers still have more class. (Well, except that prick, Roethlisberger. I can't wait until he retires)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Isn't the 70s Steelers dynasty the poster child for cheating with steroids? (A much more serious type of cheating than anything the Patriots have been accused of.)
Not that I'm aware of, although someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:35 AM

Interrupting this fascinating attempt to decide who the best franchise ever is (really? Is there ANY franchise that comes close to the Green Bay Packers and what they've accomplished over the history of the NFL??), filled as it is with incorrect statements (I particularly love the claim that the six Patriots Super Bowls are the most ever, not tied for the most ever)...

Is it just me, or was anyone else struck by the ironic contrast between the Peyton Manning/John Malkovich intro (proclaiming that the ONLY story that needed to be highlighted was the game itself) and the actual game, which was pretty much a snooze fest?? Maybe they SHOULD have had some Roman gladiators, and a bit of rain to allow for wet, half-naked bodies...
Old 02-04-2019, 07:40 AM

I hate to say it, but this game all but made me conclude that Bellicheat is the best NFL coach of all time. The way he could gameplan to stymie yet another top offense team (playing a new brand of offense apparently) and hold them to 3 points is just amazing. It was a master class, and McVay simply had no response. It didn't hurt that Goff is young and played very poorly, but the Pats played a lot more zone coverage and did a lot more twisting and stunting on the defensive line than in most games they put on tape. Their ability to be versatile and come up with a gameplan to defeat a specific team is simply outstanding. In the last 15 years, the Pats have had a top 10 scoring defense in every season except 2. And Tom Brady's streak of never winning a Super Bowl without a top 10 scoring defense goes for another game.

Now I have to go shower.

Last edited by Hamlet; 02-04-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:00 AM

Yeah, here here, that's all correct.

But the Pats dominance is like having a never-ending sports movie where the bad guy wins over and over.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
One thing I enjoyed was Romo explaining things and making predictions. Heís really good. He should be the Super Bowl guy from now on.
Quote:
But it's becoming way, way too corporate in many other respects. Culturally, as an event that attracts artistic creativity in its live performances and marketing, it's stale and vapid.
Funny - my wife and I are not big football fans, but we watched the SB (Well, I mostly read while it was on...) My wife's biggest comment after was , "Why on earth did they give a mic to that one idiot?!" I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't really listening.

My wife watches it essentially as a social spectacle. I sit there because she makes a great pot of chili! I'm thinking of posting a thread elsewhere, but does anyone know of a good economic analysis of the SB? It is pretty amazing the resources that go into this single event!
Old 02-04-2019, 08:37 AM

Stupid question - but how come Tom Brady doesn't have to wear/carry his own helmet in/out of the locker room?

I know he is a superstar and handsome and all, but it struck me as odd, that when the Pats lined up to enter the field, Brady was the only one not wearing a helmet. And he wasn't carrying it either. Then, at the end of the 1st half, as everyone headed off the field, the camera showed him handing his helmet to someone.

Do the Pats employ someone to be Brady's helmet gopher?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:42 AM

As I understand it, the QB helmet has a radio in it. Might be installed or being checked. Maybe the officials go over it to ensure that it is within the rules.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But the Pats dominance is like having a never-ending sports movie where the bad guy wins over and over.
The duck boat parade will take the usual route on the usual day.

I liked the Red Sox congratulating the Pats on breaking the city's three-month-long championship drought.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
As I understand it, the QB helmet has a radio in it. Might be installed or being checked. Maybe the officials go over it to ensure that it is within the rules.
Right. The defensive player who makes the calls on that side, usually a middle linebacker, also has a helmet radio. Radio helmets have green stickers on the back.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I hate to say it, but this game all but made me conclude that Bellicheat is the best NFL coach of all time. The way he could gameplan to stymie yet another top offense team (playing a new brand of offense apparently) and hold them to 3 points is just amazing. It was a master class, and McVay simply had no response. It didn't hurt that Goff is young and played very poorly, but the Pats played a lot more zone coverage and did a lot more twisting and stunting on the defensive line than in most games they put on tape. Their ability to be versatile and come up with a gameplan to defeat a specific team is simply outstanding. In the last 15 years, the Pats have had a top 10 scoring defense in every season except 2. And Tom Brady's streak of never winning a Super Bowl without a top 10 scoring defense goes for another game.
Goff was absolutely terrible, but the Patriots defense was outstanding. If they hadn't been outstanding, the Rams might still have won; after all, 14-17 points is a bad day, but would have won yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi
The Patriots are becoming a super dominant franchise, like the New York Yankees in baseball.
The Patriots are quite literally twenty or thirty years away from that. What the Yankees did from 1921 to 1964 has no parallel in any other major North American sport.

What the Patriots would have to do, of course, is to continue their run of dominance with a different head coach and different QB. The thing about the Yankee run is that they started with Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig managed by Miller Huggins, and then those guys were gone but they continued on with Joe DiMaggio and Lefty Gomez managed by Joe McCarthy, and then those guys were gone and they kept winning with Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra as managed by Casey Stengel, and in there they also won with managers Bucky Harris and Ralph Houk and were thiiiiiis close to winning another with Yogi Berra managing. The Patriots would only be approaching that if, prior to the Belicheck/Brady era, they had been the team who drafted Joe Montana and hired Bill Walsh and had won THOSE Super Bowls, too, and then after that they got all the Cowboys stars and won those ones as well.

Of course, where the Patriots get extra points (ha!) is that the 21st century NFL is a much bigger league - literally twice the teams of the Yankees-dominated MLB - and has in place structures to enforce competitive balance that did not exist in MLB prior to 1964. In fact, during the great Yankees superdynasty, MLB didn't even have an amateur draft. MLB had effectively no competitive balance rules of any kind until the bonus baby rule of 1946, didn't implement the Rule V draft until 1959, and didn't have the amateur draft until 1965. It was easier to a team like the Yankees to dominate then. Winning the World Series in the 1950s was likelier than winning a Super Bowl today, but still, the Yankees went 44 years winning the pennant more often than they didn't.

Last edited by RickJay; 02-04-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
The duck boat parade will take the usual route on the usual day.
The Boston PD started restricting parking in Kenmore square on Sunday morning (or earlier) for the expected Tuesday parade.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

The Bruins with Bobby Orr (the nest American to ever play the game), the Celtics with The Bird, and now the Patriots with Tom Brady. Go, Boston sports dynasties.

And the Red Sox are looking pretty good.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Bobby Orr was from Ontario, but wha'evs.

12 titles in 18 years.

Last edited by ElvisL1ves; 02-04-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Loved this quote.

"Maroon 5, masterful at creating hits that take an active mental effort to distinguish from one another, did not enter this gig with the burden of great expectations."
Speaking of which, how do they manage to set up and tear down that big stage so quickly, plus import all the idiots who stand there mindlessly waving their arms around? My theory is that it's all a hologram.

Last edited by jaycat; 02-04-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 AM

Few people in Kansas City watched it after we got ripped off. But then, why would the NFL want a small market team in there? I noticed in the pre-game one of the major sponsors was Turkish Airlines, which doesnt fly out of KC but does out of Boston and LA. Also in the pre game you can tell they had been planning all these Tom Brady and Patriots highlights to show so no way were they going to let KC win.

Now a Saints vs Chiefs game would have been good.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Few people in Kansas City watched it after we got ripped off.
I like the Chiefs, hate the Pats, but KC has no tenable claim to getting "ripped off", especially in light of what happened to the Saints. The Pats beat them, fair and square.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck
NFL want a small market team in there? I noticed in the pre-game one of the major sponsors was Turkish Airlines, which doesnt fly out of KC but does out of Boston and LA. Also in the pre game you can tell they had been planning all these Tom Brady and Patriots highlights to show so no way were they going to let KC win.
Are you seriously positing that the NFL fixes games to get the championship game they want? That would certainly help give me the information I need to determine the level of respect I should give your football opinion.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Few people in Kansas City watched it after we got ripped off. But then, why would the NFL want a small market team in there? I noticed in the pre-game one of the major sponsors was Turkish Airlines, which doesnt fly out of KC but does out of Boston and LA. Also in the pre game you can tell they had been planning all these Tom Brady and Patriots highlights to show so no way were they going to let KC win.

The game is watched by people all over the country, not just in the cities where the teams play. That Turkish Airlines claim is asinine.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I get so sick of seeing New York and LA teams in the Super Bowl every year, don't you?
Old 02-04-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
That makes sense, but ISTR that the Rams QB wore his helmet onto the field.

Quote:
Speaking of which, how do they manage to set up and tear down that big stage so quickly, plus import all the idiots who stand there mindlessly waving their arms around? My theory is that it's all a hologram.
I recall reading newspaper articles in the past about just this thing. Not sure if the "fans" are paid or volunteers, but ISTR they had to rehearse, and were bussed in from some remote site and back again, just for the halftime.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Steelers still have more class. (Well, except that prick, Roethlisberger. I can't wait until he retires)

Not that I'm aware of, although someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Well let's start with the Steelers' team doctor getting a ten year sentence for steroid and pain killer distribution and go from there.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-distribution/

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=3832996

https://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/...he-grave/?_r=0
Old 02-04-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:

I've long been of the opinion that if the NFL is indeed fixing games, it is doing so quite poorly. Sure, it may get a short-term boost by jobbing small-market teams in favor of big-market ones, but that's eating its seed corn. A league in which only 5-6 teams make the Super Bowl regularly is worse off than one in which 20+ teams always have a legit shot at entering. It would be better to rig games so that small-market teams like Kansas City have as much of a fair chance. Sure, the ratings for the SB might not be as great in the short term, but it's what's better for the long run.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

This site is a good compendium.

The Steelers are listed as "Well above average" cheaters.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Oh please. Most of us Chiefs fans know that we had every opportunity to beat the Pats in KC two weeks ago and didn't get it done. Sure, a couple of calls went against the Chiefs, but it's not like KC didn't have a chance to win the game. Chiefs defense, once again, couldn't stop NE with the game on the line.

And don't you think the NFL would want to see Patrick Mahomes, the league MVP, in the Super Bowl? The Chiefs-Rams game during the regular season was one highlight after another. I would think that a rematch would be a dream come true for the NFL.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Well, obviously I was an idiot for forgetting the Steelers.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

You have to go back into the Seventies to find some Steelers wins for the total. The Patriots' 6 have all been with Belichick and Brady.

Have you seen what Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw look like today?
Old 02-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Back to the Super Bowl, it reminded me of the Bears-Rams game earlier this year:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=401030817

Two dominant defenses and awful offenses. The Bears beat the Rams because their offense was slightly less terrible (Rams had 4 interceptions, no TDs, Bears had 3 interceptions and one TD). The 15-6 score was also similar to the 13-3 score of the Super Bowl.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

In yesterday's game, did the Patriots miss the first field goal attempt because their team property staff accidently provided one of their deflated footballs instead of a regular one?