Old 02-06-2019, 02:29 PM

NFL - audible advertising

Suppose an NFL team decided to sell "advertising rights" of their audibles to a national company. For example, say the Ravens sell their audible rights to Toyota. The audibles, which used to sound like "green 41" and "red 96" instead are now "Sienna 19" and "blue Camary."

Can a team do something like this on its own? Would corporate NFL be against the idea?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:58 PM

Looks like the league has to approve it:

Quote:
ARTICLE 7. LOGOS AND COMMERCIALIDENTIFICATION. Throughout the period on game-day that a player is visible to the stadium and television audience (including in pregame warm-ups, in the bench area, and during postgame interviews in the locker room or on the field), players are prohibited from wearing, displaying, or orally promoting equipment, apparel, or other items that carry commercial names or logos/identifications of companies, unless such commercial identification has been approved in advance by the League office. The size of any approved logo or other commercial identification involved in an agreement between a manufacturer and the League will be modest and unobtrusive, and there is no assurance that it will be visible to the television audience.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

According to this column, a typical game might have 75-100 different offensive plays. You'll need to subdivide those paid plugs down to something like, "Blue Camry with optional two-tone, touch sensor door locks, moonroof, smart key system, hut hut!"
Old 02-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

On the other hand, at least one company has figured out how to use a quarterback's cadence as advertising.

The Packers' Aaron Rodgers regularly uses the signal "green 19" in his cadence. Titletown Brewing Company, a Green Bay craft brewery, introduced a Green 19 IPA a few years ago.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
According to this column, a typical game might have 75-100 different offensive plays. You'll need to subdivide those paid plugs down to something like, "Blue Camry with optional two-tone, touch sensor door locks, moonroof, smart key system, hut hut!"
I don't think they keep every play available as an audible, just a small group
Old 02-06-2019, 08:24 PM

Audibles are generally lost for the most part so it’d be a pretty bad investment. I can’t see a company wasting money on something the viewer might not hear let alone understand when barked out.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

And do you want your product associated with a play that ends up being a sack that loses 8 yards?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:09 AM

I think most teams have a standard audible which means, "I'm cancelling the play I just called. We're going with the backup plan." Peyton Manning's said in a post-retirement interview his famous "Omaha" call meant that. I think Brady just yells "Kill Kill" which isn't nearly as much fun. For teams where the QB is allowed to call an audible on his own (not all coaches allow this) you'll hear it multiple times during the course of the game.

Back when Manning was still playing Omaha Steaks discussed a sponsorship with Manning. If I remember correctly they decided they couldn't actually pay him to change "Omaha" to "Omaha Steaks," but they did have some sort of deal where each time he said "Omaha" during a game they donated money to charity.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
On the other hand, at least one company has figured out how to use a quarterback's cadence as advertising.

The Packers' Aaron Rodgers regularly uses the signal "green 19" in his cadence. Titletown Brewing Company, a Green Bay craft brewery, introduced a Green 19 IPA a few years ago.
Blue48! Blue48 seeeeeetttt. Green19! Green ninteeeeeeeeeen! green19set.

It won't work unless you drag out the first ones and then hurry up the last one.

It's science.