Old 03-27-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
Yes, they're idiots.

Years ago while working tech support, I came across the case of a doctor who had to get his floppy drive replaced because he'd shoved a 3.5 disk into a 5 inch drive. It's possible to be an MD and still be a mororn.
I certainly agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode View Post
Because there is zero proof it would help, substantial proof it might harm, and there are patients out there who do need this drug.
That's not what Fauci is saying, and not at all what I have been hearing from numerous media outlets. What I have heard, directly from Fauci and it seems to be the consensus is: There is anecdotal evidence that it works. However, anecdote does not equal data. Medicine is a science and until you have proof you cannot say that medicine X is a good treatment for a certain condition.

Fair enough, but that would seem to say that all off-brand uses should be prohibited.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Fair enough, but that would seem to say that all off-brand uses should be prohibited.
Off label use is generally based on at least a consensus that there's a moderate amount of halfway decent science to support said use. Unlike the study behind the use of the antimalarials and zithromycin.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:27 PM

Administer large doses of heroin to COVID patients. Sure, it's off-label, but it will quiet them. I hate whiny patients.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:53 PM

There is a massive conspiracy by the French government and BIG PHARMA to suppress this cheap miracle cure and discredit the brilliant Dr. Raoult.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/03/why-fr...ed-virus-cure/
Old 03-29-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
I'm a bit disturbed by governors who apparently know so much about medicine that they overrule doctors.
If you follow that through, you're being a bit disturbed by doctors who apparently know so much about medicine that they overrule other doctors. Because the governors aren't making this up: they are following medical advice.

And this isn't a one-off special case for COVID-19: restrictions on prescribing and dispensing are a normal part of the medical system.

The only thing that's odd here is that it normally takes years for a government to pull their finger out and enact some kind of necessary medical action.

Last edited by Melbourne; 03-29-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
It's not going to kill anyone else if they take these drugs, right?
There's a very good chance that diverting the limited supply of hydroxychloroquine will kill somebody, specifically lupus patients who don't respond to the other available treatments. Did you miss that in post 23?