Old 03-28-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby View Post
Been watching Kitboga for a while. He’s a great scam-baiter. The more time these scam-baiters waste scammer’s time, the less time they have to scam the elderly. Plus, he’s funny as hell, particularly when he role-plays granny!
Try Jim Browning for the epitome of scam baiting. Not only does he reveal their data files and income sources and watch their closed-circuit video while they try to scam him, he even manages to refund some of the victim's money and prevent others from being taken.

My Mechanics. Never thought a thorough restoration of an antique hacksaw or vise could be so fascinating.

Mentour Pilot, who explains airplane stuff.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:39 PM

Got an Instant Pot? This guy does - several, in fact, and has a new cookbook out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWP...JqJCK27A0NlAKg
Old 03-28-2020, 08:35 PM

Nick Zentner teaches geology and has been live streaming from his home for over a week now.

I'm watching Supercontinents right now. this one is global but most of his lectures are specific to the PNW.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCO...M1JavPCOr_Uydg These are short history lessons, quite fascintating. Look for the one titled "The Broad Street Pump" a really good study of epidemiology. Also, the name of the doctor involved, well, why spoil the surprise?

Here's the first part about the pump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpzHHbFrHY&t=26s

Last edited by Baker; 03-28-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
They have about a billion strands going. One of the best things they ever did was "Elders play Grand Theft Auto V". Once they got a hang of the controls, most of the loveable grandmas and grandads turned into absolute psychos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHoO...-mzd&index=246

Last edited by Baron Greenback; 03-29-2020 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
Old thread or not, there are always new channels, so post 'em if you got 'em!

One of my new favorites: Mr. Carlson's Lab

That fellow is an amazing teacher who walks the viewers through complex rebuilds of old tube radios and associated paraphernalia. Even though my understanding of electronics is poor-to-none, I enjoy following along as he brings a radio from 1938 back to life.
I love this guy. Saw one the other day where he stated his preference for Robertson screws. Of course he does!

He's amped up the pace of release to give people stuck at home more things to watch.

Another Canadian fix/repair things channel is Hand Tool Rescue. The guy has a thing about square head adjustable wrenches. He even makes and sells his own. His running sandblasting gag is fun to look out for.

He's the Bizarro Mr. Carlson.

(One that that gets me about many of these restoration/fixit people is that they do so much wrong. Wrong sized screwdrivers, wrong type of wrenches, all too often not using any penetrating oil before trying to unscrew something, etc. But they still do great restorations.)

From the other side of the globe, there's Grandpa Amu. Amazing hand made stuff. Here's a folding stool made out of a single block of wood. Like I said, amazing.

There's several channels from Asia like this and this, where guys "find" really junker stuff and fix it up. There's something I'm not so sure about in terms of finding this stuff. Some of the electronics would be beyond repair if they had really been sitting in a field or ditch for at all long. Nevermind the practicality of it. (I fix up old crap all the time. But I have limits.)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:19 AM

Atomic Shrimp is one of my favourites. It's hard to describe, but it's essentially just a load of things from a nice man with an interesting and curious mind. Some food, some tech, a lot of well stuff. It's run by a well-known member here.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:00 AM

Every Sunday at 7pm (london time), you have the "Mother of All Talk Shows" with George Galloway. I used to watch it every Sunday, but its get redundant, being 3 hours long, but its better than most.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MoluccaMedia/videos
Old 03-29-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Here's our own Mangetout washing his hands.
https://youtu.be/BPGfu0AG1pI
Old 03-29-2020, 11:27 AM

Here are some of mine:

Bummed out by a lack of sports? We've still got Jelle’s Marble Runs. Marble racing taken to a new level, with breathless commentary, standing, stats, qualifiers, and team merchandise. Jelle's doing Marbula One now, but has a large video backlog of Marblelympics/Marble Games events, Sand Marble Rally races, and so on.

NPR Music-Tiny Desk Concerts are consistently good, whether you've heard of the acts or not.

Rodney Smith at WatchItPlayed isn't the most exciting guy doing explanations and playthroughs of board games, but he's clear, concise, to the point, and has good production values, with clear audio and visuals (A lot of game channels lack these.)

Lindsay Ellis doesn't do a lot of updates these days, but has a lot of backlog. A smash-up of funny pop culture commentary with critical theory.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:50 AM

Speaking of sports, here's a good one. I pasted the Kobe Bryant episode from "All The Smoke" with Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3KIyEgCgc&t=942s
Old 03-29-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Baumgartner Restoration

It’s restoration of beautiful works of art. The guy is personable and very amazing at his job. The pacing and delivery are wonderful. Honestly one of the most soothing things I’ve found to watch. It’s so meticulous and exacting, and draws your focus in, its beautiful to watch him work, plus the fulfilment of seeing it through to completion. It’s very pleasant indeed.

Kris Harbour

This is a young man in Gr Britain, building a life on his own. He’s young and strong and determined, doing the green homestead thing in a most refreshing fashion. He has amazing skills at many things and builds very hobbity structures, (hard to describe, I’m not doing it justice). His optimism and warmth really shine through, it’s a very addictive thing. I watched him build several things already. While I have no intention to ever do such a thing myself I some how find it very enjoyable to watch someone else do it.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I agree about Baumgartner Restoration. I've never had any interest in art restoration. The subject never really crossed my mind. But it's fascinating seeing how its done. It's such meticulous work, I don't think I'd ever have the patience to do it, but it's good that somebody does.

Last edited by davidm; 03-29-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:20 PM

I'm a big fan of Cole And Jay They do fishing and herping videos. I'm not an angler myself and not so into the fishing stuff but love the herping. Herping is searching for reptiles and amphibians. A lot of their herping videos are wading up creeks at night with headlamps. I love that stuff. They are a fun, young couple, headquartered in Arkansas, I believe.
I have other herping channels I follow.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:48 PM

NKF Herping is good too
Old 03-30-2020, 10:20 AM

Oxford Union Debates; Watched last night the darling, Ann Widdecombe debating freedom of speech & 'no platforming', - a joy!
Old 04-01-2020, 03:26 PM

I love Burr, don't care for Bert, but some might like this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGJonzHr6E
Old 04-01-2020, 05:51 PM

Rick Beato's stuff is great: some of it's maybe slightly more technical for musicians who know their way around basic music theory concepts, but the "What Makes This Song Great?" series and the Best Drum Fills/Guitar Intros/etc. series are pretty wicked. He's a musician and music teacher who really knows his shizzle.

Paul Davids: guitar teacher who makes this drummer-who-knows-a bit-of-guitar spectacularly excited about just looking at guitars. He talks about guitars, about playing, does lists of greatest riffs (while playing them), writes music, teaches about how to do so and how to record it, teaches music theory (in a way that means you really get it), reviews guitars...
Music just falls out of him and his videos make you believe you're brimming over with it too. I don't know, but I'm pretty confident you don't have to be a muso to enjoy.