Old 02-28-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
The news article linked by Bijou drains just above your post was co-written by a guy named Dukes...

Coïncidence. I think not!
My first clue should have been the rabbit who asked me the time so he could set his pocketwatch correctly.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

New primary on May 14th, new general election on September 10th.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

It seems that underneath the Boss Hogg getup is a man firmly committed to the principles of openness and transparency, as evidenced by this public pledge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stony Rushing
Had a very nice reporter from Washington ask me about my sexual history today. I made a deal with him and I will make it to others in the media.
I will give an exclusive interview about my sexual history from loss of virginity to today to the reporter who can get Dan McCready to answer these three questions;
Dan McCready, will you vote for partial birth abortion including killing the child outside the womb?
Dan McCready, will you vote for the Green New Deal?
Dan McCready, when were you told that organizations campaigning for you were tipped off by the NCSBE about the Bladen County Election Investigation?
It is unclear whether the questions about Stony's sexual history were related to this story:

Quote:
On December 7, 2015, Rushing submitted a hand-written complaint to the Union County District Court on behalf of his tween daughter. The filing was quite serious: "COMPLAINT FOR NO-CONTACT ORDER FOR STALKING OR NON-CONSENSUAL SEXUAL CONDUCT." The complaint targeted a woman named Tracy Wesolek, who was active in local Republican politics....
In the deposition, Rushing, who is married, admitted to having an affair with Wesolek and -- shortly before filing the lawsuit on behalf of his daughter -- professing his love for Wesolek....
Old 03-05-2019, 03:59 AM

I genuinely don't want to know about that guy's sexual history.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Or about anyone who has shared it with him.

Why is this the only race being re-run? Aren't all the other outcomes on the ballot in this district equally bogus?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Or about anyone who has shared it with him.

Why is this the only race being re-run? Aren't all the other outcomes on the ballot in this district equally bogus?
I assume that none of the other outcomes were close enough to be possibly flipped by the GOP fraud, but that's just an educated guess not based on any specific research.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

The Republican Voter ID Laws thread, and its discussion of the primacy of the importance of voter confidence, became very quiet when this story came out, didn't it?
Old 03-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

That's probably more because of Bricker's absence-- He was one of the driving forces of that thread.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:45 PM

His dead-horse-beating arm must've worn out.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
That's probably more because of Bricker's absence-- He was one of the driving forces of that thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
His dead-horse-beating arm must've worn out.
He may well have IRL reasons for dropping out of sight, but his arguments in that particular thread kept getting undermined by the actions and statements of Republicans themselves, and he was struggling to defend the indefensible.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Oopsie:

Federal prosecutors have unsealed an indictment charging North Carolina State Republican Party Chairman Robin Hayes and three associates in an alleged bribery scheme involving campaign contributions to the state insurance commissioner.

Hayes and three business associates have been charged in a scheme to pay the commissioner of the North Carolina Department of Insurance at least $1.5 million in exchange for making staff changes and other things that would benefit their businesses.

(And FWIW, the insurance commissioner is also a Republican and was the one who ratted them out).

I have a feeling this is going to get bigger.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
Oopsie:

Federal prosecutors have unsealed an indictment charging North Carolina State Republican Party Chairman Robin Hayes and three associates in an alleged bribery scheme involving campaign contributions to the state insurance commissioner.

Hayes and three business associates have been charged in a scheme to pay the commissioner of the North Carolina Department of Insurance at least $1.5 million in exchange for making staff changes and other things that would benefit their businesses.

(And FWIW, the insurance commissioner is also a Republican and was the one who ratted them out).

I have a feeling this is going to get bigger.
I hope all these motherfuckers go down.

Seriously, both parties have been corrupt in NC, but at this point the Republican party is starting to look like 1920s Chicago.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:29 AM

Updating this thread since we had our cute, little, special-election primary last week. And the winner is………… NOT Stoney Rushing, thank god. The Republican primary was won handily by The Honorable Dan Bishop.

Here is a snippet of the values that Mr. Bishop brings to the race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballotpedia
Bishop said he led the effort to get the successful North Carolina Voter ID Amendment on the ballot in 2018, which created a constitutional requirement that voters present a photo ID to vote in person.[18]
Bishop released an ad contrasting himself with McCready and Democrats in Congress. "These crazy liberal clowns. The things they say. The way they act. What they believe. They’re not funny. They’re downright scary. ... I’ll go to Washington and fight these clowns for you," Bishop said in the ad.
https://ballotpedia.org/North_Caroli...election,_2019

Last edited by shunpiker; 05-21-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: bennet /= bishop
Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

"The things they say". Yeah? Like what? What specifically do you find scary?
Old 05-21-2019, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

"Bad things. Scary things. Things against nature. Need I go on?"
Old 06-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Gerrymander archvillain's files show that the NCGA lied to courts when they claimed they couldn't draw neww maps in time for a special election:
Quote:
The Republicans told the federal court hearing the map case that they would not be able to draw new legislative districts and hold public hearings on them in time for a proposed special election in late 2017 or early 2018. In fact, Common Cause said, Mr. Hofeller’s files show that almost all the work was already done: proposed new boundaries had been drawn for more than 97 percent of the state’s proposed Senate districts and 90 percent of House districts.

The federal court’s decision not to call a special election left the existing legislative gerrymander — and a veto-proof Republican majority in both the state House and Senate — in place for roughly an additional year.
Seriously, there should be some people serving time.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:24 PM

Should be; aye. But will anyone? I doubt it. And will all the things done by the illegitimate legislature(s) be undone, or will they stand until another legislature can un-do them? I bet they stand until they are undone. So the perps win. In almost every resultant scenario, the perps win.

When you look it that way, it kind of becomes more of a question of "why the fuck doesn't everyone just do it this way?"

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-06-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:43 PM

This just showed up on the AP: Feds to finally examine 2016 NC poll books for hacking
Quote:
More than two years after voter check-in software failed on Election Day in a North Carolina county, federal authorities will finally conduct a forensic analysis of electronic poll books to see if Russian military hackers who targeted the software provider may have tampered with registration information to disrupt voting.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security analysis of laptops used in Durham County is the first known federal probe of voting technology that malfunctioned during the 2016 election, when Russian hackers infiltrated election systems in several states, part of what special counsel Robert Mueller said was an effort to favor Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.

The malfunction of VR Systems’ electronic poll book software forced officials in the heavily Democratic county to issue paper ballots and extend voting hours. How many voters may have been disenfranchised as a result is unknown.
Quote:
DHS spokeswoman Sara Sendek said the forensic examination, first reported by The Washington Post, along with other support her agency is providing North Carolina “may help to provide a better understanding of previous issues and help to secure the 2020 election.”

The FBI did not immediately respond to requests for comment on whether it was investigating the Durham County poll book failure and whether it had examined the laptops’ contents.
Quote:
On Election Day in 2016, some Durham County voters complained that the electronic poll books registered them as having voted when they hadn’t. The company blamed the trouble on poorly trained poll workers and inadequate computer maintenance. A report by a security consultant hired by Durham County’s elections board supported that claim.

“We believed then and now that the cause of the problem was poll worker error, and that a forensic analysis would prove it,” Martin said in an email. The company remains confident the DHS review will prove its voting software “was not breached or compromised.”
Old 06-07-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Even if it was poll worker error, that still doesn't let them off the hook. Who was in charge of training the poll workers? Did they all get the same training? Were they all using the same system? Who decided which poll workers were at what polling places? Were the errors equally easy to make for all voters?