Old 04-16-2019, 07:17 PM

Ford CEO: “This was harder than we thought. But we’ll have something by 2021.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...omous-vehicles
Old 04-16-2019, 07:24 PM

Well that's a heck of a point there, Jim.

Quote:
We overestimated the arrival of autonomous vehicles,” Jim Hackett said Tuesday at a Detroit Economic Club event. While Ford’s first self-driving car is still coming in 2021, “its applications will be narrow, what we call geo-fenced, because the problem is so complex.”
So something by 2021, but not a self driving car.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:44 AM

FYI here is the latest 'hack' of a Tesla on autopilot: some paint on the road and the car veers into oncoming traffic.
Tesla says it's not a big deal because the human is supposed to be paying attention.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:48 AM

Musk is clearly unphased by the skepticism coming from some SDMB quarters.

In the last few days..

1. Tesla release a 2 minute "full self driving" video, clocks 2.5m+ views in three days.

2. Musk again publicly comments on how close a fully autonomous car is:
Quote:
"There are three steps to self driving. There's being feature complete, then there's being feature complete to the level where we think the person in the car doesn't need to pay attention, and then there's a reliability level where we can also convince regulators that this is true. We expect to be feature complete in self driving this year. We expect to be confident enough from our standpoint to say that we think people don't need to touch the wheel or look out the window somewhere probably around second quarter of next year. And we expect to get regulatory approval, at least in some jurisdictions, toward the end of next year.

"That's roughly the timeline I expect things to go on. Probably for trucks, platooning will be approved by regulators before anything else. If you're driving a long-haul you could have one driver up front, and have four semis behind in a platooning manner, and I think the regulators will probably be quicker to approve that than other things."

Looking at a history of Tesla's achievements to date, he added: "All these things, we said we'd do them, and we did it. We're gonna do the RoboTaxi thing too. The only criticism, and I think it's a fair one, is that I'm not always on time. But I get it done, and the Tesla team gets it done. We expect to have the first RoboTaxis operating next year, with no-one in them.

"When things are on an exponential curve of improvement, it's very difficult to wrap our minds around it because we're used to working on a linear base. But when you've got massive amounts of hardware on the road, the cumulative data is increasing exponentially. The software is getting better at an exponential rate. I feel very confident in predicting autonomous RoboTaxis from Tesla next year.
Musk talks about this stuff like it's tantalisingly close. I'm rooting for him. Go Elon, go!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCriterion View Post
Musk talks about this stuff like it's tantalisingly close. I'm rooting for him. Go Elon, go!
I'm rooting for him too but I'm also skeptical. Musk is an unreliable source of information about what Tesla will accomplish. He's even been sued by the SEC for his misstatements.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCriterion View Post
Musk is clearly unphased by the skepticism coming from some SDMB quarters.

I'm still waiting for that coast-to-coast autonomous drive he said was going to happen in 2016. I have little doubt that Tesla will get there someday, but Musk is generally happy to adopt Trump-like predictions based primarily on his hopes and dreams.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I'm still waiting for that coast-to-coast autonomous drive he said was going to happen in 2016. I have little doubt that Tesla will get there someday, but Musk is generally happy to adopt Trump-like predictions based primarily on his hopes and dreams.

"We could have gamed an LA/NY Autopilot journey last year, but when we do it this year, everyone with Tesla Full Self-Driving will be able to do it too" Elon Musk, May 2019
(Datestamping some of these quotes so we can check back in later ).

Last edited by KellyCriterion; 05-13-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:37 PM

Waymo bringing self-driving trucks to Phoenix area freeways:
Quote:
Google’s self-driving vehicle division says it’s bringing autonomous trucks to the Phoenix area.

Waymo announced Wednesday that its self-driving tractor-trailers will start driving on freeways this week and will expand to more routes over time.

Waymo’s self-driving passenger vehicles are ubiquitous in the eastern Phoenix and its suburbs, where the company conducts extensive testing and runs a taxi service.

The company says the big trucks use the same sensors as passenger vehicles but they’re configured differently. The testing will start with two drivers in each truck.

Companies including Uber and TuSimple have driven self-driving trucks on Arizona roads. Waymo says it tested trucks in Arizona in 2017.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Google’s self-driving vehicle division says it’s bringing autonomous trucks to the Phoenix area.

Waymo announced that its self-driving tractor-trailers will start driving on freeways this week....
with TWO drivers in each truck.
So, in other words there are absolutely no self-driving trucks on the road.
(In fact,the trucks are so NON-self-driving that they require twice as many humans. )

The title of this thread remains true: Self driving cars are still decades away.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
So, in other words there are absolutely no self-driving trucks on the road.
(In fact,the trucks are so NON-self-driving that they require twice as many humans. )

The title of this thread remains true: Self driving cars are still decades away.
The guy who ran Google's self-driving car program agrees with you. (as do I)

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/23/1...riverless-cars
Old 05-31-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
The guy who ran Google's self-driving car program agrees with you. (as do I)

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/23/1...riverless-cars
He thinks decades for privately owned self driving vehicles but “within 5 years” for fleet vehicles, e.g, taxis / Uber types. Which means he thinks the technology is good for the shorter timeframe but other factors will delay the pickup by the general public.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:21 PM

"Sometime next year.. the car will be autonomous without supervision.

Sometime thereafter.. convince regulators.. the car can go around with no one in it."

Elon Musk, June 2019.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:23 AM

GM and Cruise Automation's SDC test fleet isn't doing so hot. It has close calls every 450 miles while taking 80% longer than a person-driven car to complete trips. The software also behaves unpredictably and stops working frequently. The biggest highlight for SDC fans is that the fleet's collisions seem to be taking place while people are driving the cars. Of course, if the software worked well, people wouldn't be driving them very often.

https://jalopnik.com/gms-cruise-self...tec-1835414849
Old 06-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pearse View Post
He thinks decades for privately owned self driving vehicles but “within 5 years” for fleet vehicles, e.g, taxis / Uber types. Which means he thinks the technology is good for the shorter timeframe but other factors will delay the pickup by the general public.
And obviously the incentive is much greater for fleet vehicles. For private owners, it's merely a convenience. For fleet operators, it replaces the cost of employees. (Or "contractors" as some operators call them.) A self-driving car that operates 24/7 is worth the cost of 4.2 full-time employees (24x7 = 168 = 40x4.2).

Last edited by scr4; 06-12-2019 at 11:13 AM.