Old 05-30-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
I'm presenting the list to the Money this evening.

Final thoughts and suggestions? Speak now!
Of the ones on your not-so-short list, by far I think the best one is "The Shop of Holding". Maybe even "Little Shop of Holding."

Oh, and don't overlook this bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Probably something that makes it clear you don't mean video games (unless you do mean those too...)
Where there is a continuum from selling CCGs including Yu-Gi-Oh!, to also selling Pokemon cards, to plush Pikachu toys, and on to Nintendo games, yeah?

PS: I only saw this thread late and not that it would have made your short list, most likely, but my first thought was "R'lyeh and Weep".
Old 06-01-2019, 06:37 PM

<Favorite Color> Dragon Games
Old 06-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Game Theory
Old 06-03-2019, 07:15 AM

"A Shop For Smart People"

"Books And Art Featuring Those Superhero People From All Those Movies"

"That's How We Roll"
Old 06-03-2019, 07:16 AM

Dice Dice Baby
Old 06-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Dice Dice Baby
Too vanilla.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:25 PM

It is probably too late since you said you were meeting with the money guy a few days ago, but I really suggest you don't alienate the average Joe who may be tempted to walk in and spend money. If it is something simple like "Greenbrook Games, Collectibles, and Arts." (Substitute Greenbrook for wherever the shop is) I would take a look. You could even go with something like "Games and Things" and I still may walk in. Anything that I think will be way too serious D&D players or the sort I won't bother to enter. There are lots of people like me who aren't serious gamers but may have a decent disposable income and tend to make impulsive purchases for things that seem fun (says the guy who recently found an auction for a local bar that closed and now owns a neon beer sign he has to figure where to hang in the basement bar without my wife noticing.)
Old 06-05-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Has The Android's Dungeon & Baseball Card Shop been ruled out already?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Any updates?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
It is probably too late since you said you were meeting with the money guy a few days ago, but I really suggest you don't alienate the average Joe who may be tempted to walk in and spend money. If it is something simple like "Greenbrook Games, Collectibles, and Arts." (Substitute Greenbrook for wherever the shop is) I would take a look. You could even go with something like "Games and Things" and I still may walk in. Anything that I think will be way too serious D&D players or the sort I won't bother to enter. There are lots of people like me who aren't serious gamers but may have a decent disposable income and tend to make impulsive purchases for things that seem fun (says the guy who recently found an auction for a local bar that closed and now owns a neon beer sign he has to figure where to hang in the basement bar without my wife noticing.)
You say that but I have my doubts it is good messaging. Maybe you would walk into a store called "Games and Things" but then you might be annoyed when you see it's only war games and comic book things. How many gamers walk by because it sounds like they sell 10 versions of Monopoly and desktop trinket things? And I have to ask, what interesting random purchase do you think you'll find in Schenectady Games rather than Goblin's Gulch Games?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Honestly, I think you should go with what you like best and can live with in the long run.

You want to be distinctive so you don’t get confused with similar businesses, but I don’t think it’s very important if new customers don’t get references or have different associations at first.

You’ve got the description right up front, so that she okay. If you run a good business, that good will will transfer to whatever name you choose.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Best comic store I have ever been to was Chapel Hill Comics. It used to be called Second Foundation, but the new owner changed the name to something simple, direct, and easy to understand. That change, among others, transformed the store from a niche place that only a few nerds went to, to a really hopping comic store that made bank.

I think this is the way to go.

Add "Bloodbath & Beyond" over some appropriate game area inside.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
The (Your Town or Community) Fan Collective-Games, Comics and More
Precisely this- not with the name of the town, but as written. Maybe with [] rather than ()
Old 06-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Well, the money settled on 'Final Quest'. Given that such was what she came up with, it was an uphill fight.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Well, the money settled on 'Final Quest'. Given that such was what she came up with, it was an uphill fight.
Did you explain that a bunch of internet randos who will never go to the store as we live across the globe had decided on something else?
Old 06-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

As a point of fact, I did. I shared the list here with her. She systematically crossed them all off and magically arrived at the one she came up with.

It's a mystery.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:16 PM

The most ominous name for a business venture since "Sudden Valley".
Old 06-11-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Best comic store I have ever been to was Chapel Hill Comics. It used to be called Second Foundation, but the new owner changed the name to something simple, direct, and easy to understand. That change, among others, transformed the store from a niche place that only a few nerds went to, to a really hopping comic store that made bank.
I think cleaning the place up made much of a difference there. Not that it was dirty, but it felt rickety and claustrophobic in a way that truly appealed to the power comic book nerd, and put off the casual shopper.
Alas, the terrible location put it out of business a couple of years back.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
You say that but I have my doubts it is good messaging. Maybe you would walk into a store called "Games and Things" but then you might be annoyed when you see it's only war games and comic book things. How many gamers walk by because it sounds like they sell 10 versions of Monopoly and desktop trinket things? And I have to ask, what interesting random purchase do you think you'll find in Schenectady Games rather than Goblin's Gulch Games?
Goblin's Gulch isn't horrible like some of the ones where the common passerby wouldn't get the reference, but I'd tend to think it was more of a Harry Potter or D&D place and would likely pass by.

Schenectady Games I'd probably at least walk into to see what they had. That right there is an important first step... get them into your store. I actually loved playing Diplomacy back in the day (30 years ago) and I might think it would be fun to pick up a copy of that or something similar to either try to play when my adult kids are visiting or possibly send as a gift. I also love puzzles so if there are some interesting and nice looking puzzles (not jigsaw... more the get these two pieces apart type) I would almost guarantee you one would be sitting (along with others) on my desk at work the next day.

Again, if you get them in the door you have a chance for a sale... if not you don't.

Just my opinion. I won't be offended if it is ignored.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Did you explain that a bunch of internet randos who will never go to the store as we live across the globe had decided on something else?
And yet no one suggested Story McStoreface! I admit, I very nearly did but resisted the urge. I know, that joke's old and tired by now but it's my default response whenever anyone on the internet request help naming something now.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:30 AM

For those asking, "The Black Lotus" is a reference to the most powerful and expensive card in Magic The Gathering. It was only printed over twenty years ago and copies run tens of thousands of dollars.

Last edited by Quimby; 06-12-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 PM

I think "Final Quest" will work for most people familiar with gaming and gaming stores. I think if I drove by and saw that name, I would assume it was some kind of game shop. I wouldn't automatically think that they would have comics. However, I know that there's a lot of overlap between gaming and comic stores, and would check it out even if I was just interested in comics. It's like how head shops have a lot of stuff non-drug related stuff like frisbees, weird toys, posters, etc.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:45 PM

Talky Man Games

(from OotS - a giant was trying to get Roy Greenhilt to shut up and fight)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Too late to change it to The Mighty Store (Comics, Games and Art)?
Old 06-12-2019, 01:32 PM

"Final Quest" seems like a good enough name. It's not that distinctive but it's also not offensive. It suggests both RPGs and comic plot lines. I'd at least call it "Final Quest Comics and Games" to help Google maps classify you but perhaps that was part of the plan already. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Talky Man Games

(from OotS - a giant was trying to get Roy Greenhilt to shut up and fight)
Pretty sure that was Thog, who is a half-orc, not a giant.

As for the name: eh - Final Quest works. A bit dull and dated but it gets the message across.