Old 06-12-2019, 07:58 PM

Crocheting.

It's weird because I'm usually good at things like that. If it's something to be done with your hands that requires neatness, precision, and a little bit of artistry, I usually pick it up quite quickly. Depending on what it is, I tend to have a decent bit of natural talent at it, but not enough patience to stick to it and really make it a skill. So I can knit, do macrame, sew, do origami, bake... all stuff that mostly requires following instructions carefully and then making your own tweaks when you've got the hang of it. And I've tried to learn to crochet repeatedly. Heck, there's a crochet hook and ball of yarn next to me now from the last time I tried like four months ago. I've tried learning from books, blogs, video tutorials... and there's just something about it that does not make any sense to me.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
Math. My ACT composite score would have been considerably higher were it not for my bombing so terribly in the math section.

To this day I can barely do simple arithmetic. Seriously. I need pen & paper and a calculator to compute the outcome of a 4d6 + 8 roll in Dungeons & Dragons.

This, only substitute Cribbage for D&D.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

I suck at remembering names. I have been at my church for twenty years now, everyone seems to know my name and I know lots of names. But I do not remember all the names of everyone in my womens order, and it makes me feel bad. Other folks I have been around since I have been there and I could not tell you for sure their names. It is like not being ble to read, I have ways of concealing that I do not know names.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:02 PM

I am almost completely incapable of putting a basketball through the hoop, from any distance. Fortunately, nothing in my life has ever demanded that particular skill, but if anyone's life ever happens to depend on my making a layup, they're dead meat.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:02 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
I feel ya'. I once thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.
And I thought I was mistaken once but just wasn't totally correct.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:23 AM

Card games -- i.e. the hearts / diamonds / clubs / spades kind. Anything in this line more complicated than "Snap" (probably called something else Stateside), turns my brain straight to scrambled egg; plus, bores me to catatonia. I can't remember for the life of me, which cards have been played, therefore which may be still to come; and utterly couldn't care less. I have this problem even with the the game "Uno" -- cards, but various shapes rather than hearts diamonds etc.; devised, I understand, to teach kids the rudiments of cards-playing.

This deficiency on my part, spoils things a bit from time to time, re leisure time spent with relations / friends who enjoy card games; but it's an utter aversion on my part, to the point that I'd as soon have a session with the North Korean secret police, as be forced to play cards. Yet -- illogically and inconsistently -- I enjoy Mah-Jongg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post

I have no sense of direction. I do mean I have a bad sense of direction, a sucky sense of direction. or even a shitty sense of direction. I totally lack to ability to get from here to there if someone tells me how. I have to reply on visual clues, memorizing street names and landmarks. I've lived in the same city for over 30 years, and yet I still get totally lost and have to ask strangers for directions.

I blame genetics. No female in my mother's family has a sense of direction. Obviously, that gene was bred out of our pool centuries ago.
My sense of direction is not wonderful, but also not terrible. My brother's sense of direction, though, is thoroughly as non-existent as yours. Nonetheless, he enjoys travelling, and driving: for him, the satnav is the best invention which humanity has ever come up with.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 AM

Not just names, but faces too. It's not crippling, but it can lead to awkward interactions (or deliberate avoidance of such interactions).

Also, I wouldn't call it a bad sense of direction, more of a case of not paying attention to where I am going while driving. Anyone who rides with me with any regularity knows to gently prod me ("you're gonna turn left up here, right?"). I've missed so many turns and exits while driving it's not even funny.

mmm
Old 06-13-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
<snip> ("you're gonna turn left up here, right?"). <snip>
And you turn right, right?
Old 06-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Gymnastics. Even as a young girl with a good back and undamaged knees, I could never manage a handstand or cartwheel, never mind the more tricky bars and balance-beam stuff.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:59 AM

As per my name, no drawing for me.

A high slice... no problem.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrenderDorothy View Post
Crocheting.

It's weird because I'm usually good at things like that. If it's something to be done with your hands that requires neatness, precision, and a little bit of artistry, I usually pick it up quite quickly. Depending on what it is, I tend to have a decent bit of natural talent at it, but not enough patience to stick to it and really make it a skill. So I can knit, do macrame, sew, do origami, bake... all stuff that mostly requires following instructions carefully and then making your own tweaks when you've got the hang of it. And I've tried to learn to crochet repeatedly. Heck, there's a crochet hook and ball of yarn next to me now from the last time I tried like four months ago. I've tried learning from books, blogs, video tutorials... and there's just something about it that does not make any sense to me.
That's strange to me, because crochet makes perfect sense (to me) - it's just a series of increasingly complex slip knots.

I've never been able to do knitting though.

Last edited by Zyada; 06-13-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Placing things in the past. Once something has happened any length of time ago I couldn't tell you whether it happened last month, last year or ten years ago.

Also, judging by the above, I will also submit "forming a coherent sentence".
Old 06-13-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
Placing things in the past. Once something has happened any length of time ago I couldn't tell you whether it happened last month, last year or ten years ago.

Also, judging by the above, I will also submit "forming a coherent sentence".
This is 100% me, too. Literally just this morning I couldn't remember what day a particular meeting took place. It was yesterday. About 20 hours ago. The days/weeks/months/years have just all run together. I have no idea if something took place 6 months ago or 6 years ago.

I also suck at singing, which is unfortunate for those around me at home because I enjoy doing it.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:52 AM

I can sing and I can play some basic tunes on stringed instruments, I have the muscle coordination for both, but musical notes/notation make no sense to me. In order to sing/play something I have to hear it and sing/play along over and over until it is muscle memory. When playing the simple stuff I can do, if I get lost or mess up I have to start all over - I have no ability to pick it up where I left off. It's like when someone asks for the last 4 digits of my SSN. I have to mentally go through the whole thing in order to voice the last 4.

And art, of any kind. Can't do it, it might as well be alchemy.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
I can't whistle. I know, I know -- "You just put your lips together and blow."
Come to think of it, neither can I. Never could whistle the "normal" way, as you describe. I can only "sort of" whistle by doing so by gently exhaling putting the tip of my tongue slightly behind the upper row of my teeth. It makes more of a screech than a whistle, and so it's more like an extreme "s" sound, though I can draw it out.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:42 AM

Enumerating distances. I can tell if one thing is farther away than another, but I can't say how much. 50 feet? 200 feet? I have no idea.

So those GPS directions to turn right in 100 feet? Ugh. Just count down: "Turn right in 5, 4, 3, 2, ... 1".

I'm really good with numbers in general so this is an odd duck.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Geometry. Honor student and the teacher kindly gave me a D in geometry because I simply did not get it.

Directions. I say I can get lost in a big home. And it's true, I have. My first husband's father was a minister and they live in a huge parsonage that had maid's quarters and 3 stairways. I would get lost upstairs forever. In fact, I got lost driving Tuesday despite very clear written in red ink directions.

Craft kits. You know those little kits that have a beautifully done thingie on the front. Nope, never again, mine looked like hash.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

My spirographs never looked like the examples.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Humility. Damn, it's hard to be humble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCsNunGnqE0
Old 06-13-2019, 12:52 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Small talk. I can barely manage if someone else takes the initiative/lead, but if it's up to me to start things only awkward silence will ensue.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Handwriting, printing. I can barely read what I write. No one else has a hope in hell unless I slowly print in block letters specifically so they can understand and even then I can screw it up.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post
I humbly suggest Glenn Campbell as a superior talent.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
Come to think of it, neither can I. Never could whistle the "normal" way, as you describe. I can only "sort of" whistle by doing so by gently exhaling putting the tip of my tongue slightly behind the upper row of my teeth. It makes more of a screech than a whistle, and so it's more like an extreme "s" sound, though I can draw it out.
Yep, same with me. Many have tried to teach me but to no avail.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:10 PM

Throwing a baseball. Not to be sexist, but to use the vernacular: I always have thrown like a girl and always will throw like a girl.

Also to crib off other peoples paper: my hand writing and memory for names is at the level of disability.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
Me either. And hey - faces too. The other week I spent time in the hospital walk-in centre after a minor bike crash. Saw a nurse, had an X-ray, saw another nurse. The second nurse had to explain to me, gently, that actually she was the first nurse. There had been maybe twenty minutes between my two sessions with her, and I had lost her face completely. I'm so bad at this that I'm no longer embarrassed by it - it's not me being disrespectful, it's more like a disability. j
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
Recognizing faces and remembering names. A few weeks ago I introduced myself to the same guy twice in 10 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Not just names, but faces too. It's not crippling, but it can lead to awkward interactions (or deliberate avoidance of such interactions).
There's a name for that. Two, in fact.

I've got it too; not as badly as some people (there are people who can't recognize their own face in a mirror, or their mother's, who they see daily, in an expected context), but badly enough that I could easily be talking to you face to face for half an hour at lunch, and five minutes later be unable to pick you out of a couple dozen people at the same conference. Especially if in the interval you took off that distinctive red sweater.

I'm also bad at names, but not as bad as at faces; and the problem's partly that people expect you to remember their name when all they did was tell you once orally. If I can write it down a few times, or at least see it written down, that helps.

I am absolutely no good at ball games. I duck if the ball comes anywhere near me.

I can't sing.

I'm a klutz: I drop things, I walk into things. And I have a physical labor job that involves working with things like tractors and chain saws -- which I do with extreme caution. No major injuries so far; but it's utterly normal for me to be walking around with bruises that I don't even remember getting, because the extreme caution I use around the PTO shaft or the chain saw blade is impractical to keep up all the time while I'm doing less hazardous stuff.

Joining in with the people who can't multitask; at least, at many things. I can carry on a conversation and cook or weed or set transplants at the same time; but if I'm sorting out field plans or bills or schedules for next week, I need to be able to concentrate.

I have a poor sense of direction, but years of practice and using maps -- old style maps, that give you a general orientation over a wide area and not just a bit on a small screen -- have helped with that.

My social skills are a lot better than they used to be; but boy a lot of that came hard.

And I don't seem to be much good at staying off the internet.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:31 PM

pretty much anything in the creative arts. can't play an instrument worth a damn, can't sing, can't draw worth a damn.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:38 PM

I can't nap for the life of me. When I was a little kid in daycare, they used to put candies on the mats of the children who were sleeping, and yes I'm still bitter about it.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Can’t play guitar due to stubby fingers
Perhaps a smaller instrument might help you. Try a so-called 3/4 length scale.

Last edited by Steven_Maven; 06-14-2019 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Add quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:41 AM

I have a terrible sense of direction - if I come out of a hotel room, I never know which way to turn to get to the elevator or lobby. We were a hockey family and traveled all over for tournaments. I couldn't even count how many times I got lost looking for hockey arenas in other cities after being given directions. This was way before MapQuest. I'd stop at a gas station for help and as they're giving me directions I could almost feel the words going in one ear and flying right out of the other. My son would be freaking out in the back seat that he was going to be late which only added to the delightful car trip.

I can't whistle.

Names and faces - someone will introduce themselves and by the time they walk away, I've already forgotten their name. I'm sure people have thought me rude for not saying hello, but a lot of the time it's because I'm not sure if I recognize them or not.

Arts, crafts, sewing - I have no patience to do all of the appropriate steps. I just want to get it done and then it looks like crap.

I can't roll my Rs or make the telephone ringing sound.

I'm terrible at small talk and mingling. Oh, how I hate mingling. I cannot just walk up and start talking to someone. Especially if they're already talking to someone else. I just had that done to me last Fri at a wedding reception. I was chatting with someone and all of a sudden someone else that I didn't know came up and says, "hi" to the person I was talking to. They started talking and I stood there like a dummy. Finally, I just walked away.

Painting - I'm a very messy painter (as in walls). It's kind of the same reason as my failure in arts and crafts. I just want it done. Luckily, my husband is a good, patient painter.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I can't nap for the life of me. When I was a little kid in daycare, they used to put candies on the mats of the children who were sleeping, and yes I'm still bitter about it.
The military cured me of this affliction - once sleep was so hard to come by, I learned to take the opportunity whenever I get it.

I am not a completely non-athletic person, although I believed I was for years due to my inability to play some sports - looking at you, volleyball and soccer. I am also not a great hockey player, but probably could have been okay if I ever actually tried.

Sense of direction in a city is terrible, but drop me in the woods, and I am pretty good at it.

Remembering names, which is just embarrassing given what I do for a living - I am trying to work on it. I remember faces, so I will remember that I MET you, but I will not remember what to CALL you.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Multitasking. My wife can read the paper and watch TV and not miss a single plot element. She can do the crossword puzzle and hear everything being said on a radio broadcast. She can be sending emails and following the action on an NBA game at the same time. I, on the other hand...look! A penny!

Also, I have a very poor sense of direction and will almost invariably turn the wrong way.
Second multitasking. I'm incredibly good at concentrating on a problem (e.g., fixing a computer, finding the best flight to another city, writing a report, etc.) but I have to be left to it to the exclusion of everything else. My wife is used to me literally waving her off with one hand when I'm engaged in doing something that requires my attention. While I'm completing a task, it needs to get 100% of my attention.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Handling chopsticks.
Swimming.
Cycling, specifically turning and stopping.
Any exercise, for that matter.
Making salads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Do you totally suck at anything?

Yes, I certainly do.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:19 PM

Singing. My mother used to say she couldn't carry a tune in a bushel basket. I couldn't carry one on the flight deck of the Nimitz.

Mechanical devices. I've had people practically ROTFL watching me try to use a screwdriver.

Baseball, football, &c. I find them all to be very boring, so I've never bothered to develop any skill at them.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Golf. I tend to try to swing the club like a baseball bat, and my boobs are just way too big for any sort of good form.
I have the same problem, regrettably. I'm no good at golf, but I enjoy playing it anyway. I've got maybe $8 tied up in clubs (from Goodwill), a ballcap with a brain pattern on it, and a bright red Hawaiian shirt. And longpants because I do spend some time in the weeds looking for balls. I am the Johnny Rotten of the links--I play by my own rules and focus on the simple joy of swinging a metal stick...that occasionally smacks a white ball into another dimension. And then there's the sporty golf carts, and the wandering beer lady with the icy Fosters oil cans. What's not to love about golf?
Old 06-15-2019, 12:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickerman View Post
I can't roll my Rs. My siblings and children can continuously, but there's no hope for me.
Assuming you all use English as your primary language at home, how exactly does the ability to roll Rs come up? Do your siblings and children routinely go about saying things like "RRRRichard gave RRRRRobert a rrrap in the rrrribs for rrrroasting the rrrrrabbit so rrrare"?
Old 06-15-2019, 12:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Creative writing or anything related to it.

The New Yorker's weekly cartoon caption contests mock me with every issue. As somebody who is incapable of even beginning to come up with a clever caption, is not how I want to think of myself, yet it's the truth.

Curiously, I almost always think one of the other two finalists is funnier than the one that was actually chosen. See that? Those who can't do, criticize.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Like Beckdawreck above, memory issues. I date these from a fairly bad head injury many years ago (complete unconsciousness, etc.). It's not like the Memento guy, but lots of problems with short term memory, and a bizarrely limited sense of smell*. I cope by constantly having a pen and notebook with me. FWIW: I'm sitting near a 2-foot high stack of old notebooks that goes back several years.

Ball sports. I am unusually bad at throwing or catching balls. I do a little better with Frisbees for some reason, but everything else is awful.

*Anything subtle is undetectable, and it often "gifts" me with strong phantom smells that aren't really there. I've gotten used to it over the years.

Last edited by pullin; 06-15-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
Assuming you all use English as your primary language at home, how exactly does the ability to roll Rs come up? Do your siblings and children routinely go about saying things like "RRRRichard gave RRRRRobert a rrrap in the rrrribs for rrrroasting the rrrrrabbit so rrrare"?
The guy leading the crew doing a fix up and paint job on our house last year had a first name starting with a rolled "r". He definitely appreciated that I noticed and properly pronounced his name. It might have been the reason he didn't charge extra for extra work.

It's a nice little skill to have when dealing with people from various backgrounds.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
That's strange to me, because crochet makes perfect sense (to me) - it's just a series of increasingly complex slip knots.

I've never been able to do knitting though.
That's why it's so frustrating that I can't get it right. There's NO REASON this should escape me the way it does. Like I can accept that I'm not good at some (or lots of) things that either take inherent talent that I don't have or require extensive practice which I haven't done, but this just irks me. It isn't even that I have this deep desire to crochet (although I would like to make blankets). I mean, I can knit, but I haven't done it in years because I don't have the patience and didn't really enjoy it that much. Really, If I could get it, I would probably crochet like... a potholder and a scarf and then be done crocheting forever, but at least I'd have some peace and be able to lay the whole problem to rest.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Job searching. I absolutely suck at it. I assume it must be hereditary. My dad worked for the same employer for nearly 40 years, and my brother and sister and I have all been with our employers for over 20. For me anyway, a large part of it is that no matter how much my job sucks, it's better than having to look for a new one.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:45 AM

I don't have an ounce of creativity.

I guess I have no finger dexterity or something because I can't braid hair or crochet or knit.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:08 PM

Anything artistic it right out. Creating music, poetry, whatever. I can't even read poetry, my eyes just skip right over it like ice when reading a book.

On the other hand, I'm pretty much a machine with it comes to duplicating techniques. In high school band I was first chair based on technique. But when the director asked me to improvise a jazz solo, that was the worst thing you could ever hope to hear.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:50 AM

I suck at remembering names. I remember faces, personalities, quirks, sometimes even what they were wearing when I met them, where I first met them … basically everything but their names. Worst moment demonstrating just how bad I am at this: I had been dating and <ahem> other stuff with a very nice girl for about 3 weeks. I ran into a friend of mine and was socially obligated to introduce the two of them. Blanked on her name for an inappropriately long period of time before she whacked me in the back of the head and introduced herself.

That was over 20 years ago. I dated her medium-long distance for a grand total of maybe 5 months. I still remember where we were when we met, what she was wearing, what her friend looked like, who I was with, where the fucking club was (which is now undoubtedly no longer in existence). And yeah now I remember her name, but that probably has more to do with that incident than anything else.

I will remember the faces, etc. of people I just talk to once or twice in passing for an absurdly long period, years in some cases. I recognize strangers’ faces I glimpsed in a crowd if I see them again within an hour or two, without conscious effort on my part. Given where I live right now (near Tokyo), that verges on a superpower.

Names? Fuck no. I remember the family names of maybe 20 of the 100 or so people I work with, many of whom I see every single day. (Almost no one uses given/first names, so there’s not a chance in hell I’d remember those.) I screw up my own kids’ names half the time. (But then again everyone’s parents seem to go down a mental list, throwing out the first syllable of every wrong kid before they hit the right one, so at least I’m not alone in my incompetence there.)

I’m similarly useless for remembering dates, schedules, and routine tasks. If I didn’t eventually figure out that I need to write absolutely everything down and religiously capture it in a task manager, reminder list, or calendar, I would have been fired from every job I’ve ever had for gross negligence and chronic lateness. I’d never finish anything on time or ever be where I’m supposed to be without an out-brain system for that kind of information. A teacher in middle school once told me and my parents at our parent-teacher conference that I’d probably be capable of studying for a PhD, but I’d better get a secretary first; I’d flunk out of a community college without better organization than I’d demonstrated to that point. (You were absolutely right, Mrs. T!)

I have to check my schedule to remember what bloody room I’m supposed to go to at what time, for meetings that happen every week. While I have absolutely no problem navigating anywhere I’ve been to even once, and in many cases all I have to do is catch a glimpse of it on a map with one point of reference to find it the first time, I am completely incapable of remembering which of the thousands of mentally-stored locations I’m supposed to go to in 15 minutes, even though I’ve been there literally 100 times.

Considering how competent my brain is at literally every other aspect of memory, it feels like someone was minmaxing when they were rolling my character and took penalties in certain areas to get bonuses in others.

“Okay, you can add +2 to intelligence, class memory, and pathfinding, but take -4 to remembering names, dates, and routines. You’ll be theoretically capable of casting high-order spells, but you’ll never know whether you brought any of the components without using a checklist to confirm, and you’ll need to consult a calendar and a timepiece every single time if there’s a time component or risk blowing yourself up with backlash from a simple fireball spell. Good luck with that.”
Old 06-18-2019, 04:43 AM

Handwriting. I was terrible at it in school, and I still am.

I've also never once in my life successfully snapped my fingers.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 06-18-2019 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
Handwriting. I was terrible at it in school, and I still am.
As well for me. All through high school ( when one had towrite in cursive ), mine always looked like a third-grader's. I plateaued early.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:23 PM

Diagnosed with dyscalculia in high school.
I don't speak math.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

I'd love to be able to draw or paint but I simply do not possess the required fine motor skills. When the family got together to make a quilt for our parents' 46th anniversary, my part was an abstract panel.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:31 PM

Oh, yeah...I forgot that I suck at art. Remember the first lesson in art class? "You can balance a smaller, more interesting object, against a larger, less interesting object." My response was, "Why don't you just use two medium objects so it's symmetrical?"
Old 06-19-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
Oh, yeah...I forgot that I suck at art. Remember the first lesson in art class? "You can balance a smaller, more interesting object, against a larger, less interesting object." My response was, "Why don't you just use two medium objects so it's symmetrical?"
engineer?