Old 05-07-2019, 06:33 PM

Decade in the red. Trump taxes.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ump-taxes.html

I'm sure not many of us are surprised. He's paid very little in Federal taxes.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the link. I might comment more later. It depends on the stupidity of the (posts of the )Trump defenders.

Last edited by bobot; 05-07-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 PM

President Trump is such a great businessman that he structured all his businesses to show losses to avoid paying liberal-imposed taxes. That's what great businessmen do! #MAGA
Old 05-07-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
In fact, year after year, Mr. Trump appears to have lost more money than nearly any other individual American taxpayer, The Times found when it compared his results with detailed information the I.R.S. compiles on an annual sampling of high-income earners.
Not, wow, Trump lost a lot of money over the years. Or, whoa, he was a pretty bad businessman. Or wow, he wasn't really all that great a deal maker.

No. Donald J. Trump lost more money than practically every other human being in the whole fucking United States during the "Art of the Deal Years".

Quote:
His core business losses in 1990 and 1991 — more than $250 million each year — were more than double those of the nearest taxpayers in the I.R.S. information for those years.
And this is the CEO for America that Trump supporters thought would make a great president. I wonder if any of them would ever admit to being hoodwinked.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 05-07-2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-07-2019, 07:03 PM

Is this a news story from 2015? Didn't we already know this?

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 05-07-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Is this a news story from 2015? Didn't we already know this?
The Times story is from today.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Here's a thought: the 2016 campaign was supposed to be nothing more than a tax shelter.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
The Times story is from today.
Yes, talking about his taxes from 1985.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:19 PM

I recommend the most politically loyal act for any Republican is to invest in every stock the President holds. He's a genius, you know. You'll be rolling in money in no time.

Tris
Old 05-07-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Getting upset because of a simple attempt by someone to be helpful:

A story printed today, with new analysis, btw.

Quote:
Since the 2016 presidential campaign, journalists at The Times and elsewhere have been trying to piece together Mr. Trump’s complex and concealed finances. While The Times did not obtain the president’s actual tax returns, it received the information contained in the returns from someone who had legal access to it. The Times was then able to find matching results in the I.R.S. information on top earners — a publicly available database that each year comprises a one-third sampling of those taxpayers, with identifying details removed. It also confirmed significant findings using other public documents, along with confidential Trump family tax and financial records from the newspaper’s 2018 investigation into the origin of the president’s wealth.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 05-07-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
... Donald J. Trump lost more money than practically every other human being in the whole fucking United States during the "Art of the Deal Years". ....
This deserves highlighting.

This is another of those truths about Trump that his fans have to twist themselves into bizarre logical knots in order to defend.

Factually, Trump has been---for every minute of his life---utterly dependent on being funded and bailed out by others. First (and for many years) his father; then foreign entities who saw the cash they were pouring down that particular drain as an investment in future political control of the USA.

Trump is an epic, blockbuster, legendary failure. World's worst businessman.

And his defenders are chumps.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
It's pretty futile trying to spin what the article is actually about since the article is right there for anyone to read, including the following intro:
[Trump] has attributed his first run of reversals and bankruptcies to the recession that took hold in 1990. But 10 years of tax information obtained by The New York Times paints a different, and far bleaker, picture of his deal-making abilities and financial condition.

The data — printouts from Mr. Trump’s official Internal Revenue Service tax transcripts, with the figures from his federal tax form, the 1040, for the years 1985 to 1994 — represents the fullest and most detailed look to date at the president’s taxes, information he has kept from public view.
I have to say it paints a picture of such staggering business incompetence that even those familiar with his string of failed businesses and bankruptcies -- not to mention outright frauds like Trump U -- are probably surprised at the extent of it.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Factually, Trump has been---for every minute of his life---utterly dependent on being funded and bailed out by others. First (and for many years) his father; then foreign entities who saw the cash they were pouring down that particular drain as an investment in future political control of the USA.

Trump is an epic, blockbuster, legendary failure. World's worst businessman.

And his defenders are chumps.
I don't think it's fair to call him a business failure without knowing what he has done since those years. By many accounts, his licensing of his name has made him tons of cash, and that cannot be discounted. This doesn't make him the "Art of the Deal" type businessman he wanted/still wants to be portrayed as, but it's also not a failure.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 PM

Meanwhile, the only bad investment his father made during the same time period, was his son:

"While Donald Trump reported hundreds of millions of dollars in losses for 1990 and 1991, Fred Trump’s returns showed a positive income of $53.9 million, with only one major loss: $15 million invested in his son’s latest apartment project."
Old 05-07-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
By many accounts, his licensing of his name has made him tons of cash, and that cannot be discounted. This doesn't make him the "Art of the Deal" type businessman he wanted/still wants to be portrayed as, but it's also not a failure.
It probably was one of his few reliable sources of income; it's not clear that is any more since it's now well known that it was a deception based on two fallacious myths: one, the false myth of his alleged successes, implying great investment potential in the properties, and two, the false implication that he was personally involved in the licensed properties. In fact, most such properties turned out to be unscrupulous developments by shady enterprises that Trump later had to distance himself from by claiming (correctly, for once) that he had nothing to do with them. Some of the condo developments that were licensed that way were tremendous money losers for initial buyers, who subsequently had great difficulty unloading them, and some were the subject of lawsuits. Saying "yes, but he made money out of it" is the kind of compliment you could also pay to a pimp or a heroin dealer.

Last edited by wolfpup; 05-07-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:10 PM

So you're saying The Big Loser couldn't run a business to save his life, but he conned enough people to think he could that he became a success? I don't see that pig flying with anyone outside of his cult.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Getting upset because of a simple attempt by someone to be helpful:
What is "helpful" about linking to a silly article about someone's taxes in 1985?

No one, not even the IRS cares, about tax returns from 33 years ago.

Should we take another look at Harry Truman's tax returns from 1945?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:28 PM

Remember when Romney bashed the 47% of the population that don't pay income taxes and told us about how bad those evil, lazy people are? And remember how a lot of people agreed with him and lectured us on the importance of reforming the tax law so that everyone has "skin in the game", no matter how poor you are?

It's funny how those people seemed to forget all about people like Trump. Why does this argument not apply to him? Why should we not view Trump as a "leech"? Why should someone who is on disability and unable to work be required to have some "skin the game", while a guy living off his father's inheritance can do whatever the fuck he wants?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duality72 View Post
So you're saying The Big Loser couldn't run a business to save his life, but he conned enough people to think he could that he became a success? I don't see that pig flying with anyone outside of his cult.
Whether he "became a success" is arguable; he certainly didn't become nearly as big a success as he wants people to believe, and he most definitely didn't do it on his own. The only thing he did on his own was lose vast amounts of his daddy's money. But as for not being able to run a business to save his life but conning people to think he could, why do you think the conman was the only presidential candidate in modern times to refuse to release his tax returns, and even now is fighting a vigorous court battle to keep the remaining ones secret?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:41 PM

At least a decade in the red, and no one forecloses? Can nobody see through the Emperor's new clothes?

Last edited by Jinx; 05-07-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
Remember when Romney bashed the 47% of the population that don't pay income taxes and told us about how bad those evil, lazy people are? And remember how a lot of people agreed with him and lectured us on the importance of reforming the tax law so that everyone has "skin in the game", no matter how poor you are?

It's funny how those people seemed to forget all about people like Trump. Why does this argument not apply to him? Why should we not view Trump as a "leech"? Why should someone who is on disability and unable to work be required to have some "skin the game", while a guy living off his father's inheritance can do whatever the fuck he wants?
Could you kindly provide a cite for the bolded part of your post, please?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
What is "helpful" about linking to a silly article about someone's taxes in 1985?

The president of the United States is a complete fraud. You get that, right?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
The president of the United States is a complete fraud. You get that, right?
No, he doesn't get it. He still thinks the article is "about someone's taxes in 1985".
Old 05-07-2019, 08:51 PM

It doesn't matter. He had his own plane, his own hotel, his own resort, his own marketing empire. He must be a billionaire.

And how many Trump supporters or even right-leaning voters read the New York times? Like not many.

Let's talk about Trump's Madoff skills when the recession hits, because then there might be some angry people ready to blame someone for their misery.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Thanks for the link. I might comment more later. It depends on the stupidity of the (posts of the )Trump defenders.
Quote:
Yeah, sure, what the fuck, eh?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubricious Integument View Post
Could you kindly provide a cite for the bolded part of your post, please?
Not my quote but I think I can back it up. The bolded part with a bit of the preceding part for context is "Romney bashed the 47% of the population that don't pay income taxes and told us about how bad those evil, lazy people are".

Here are Romney's actual statements:
In the video, Romney said: "There are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what.

"All right, there are 47% who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to healthcare, to food, to housing, to you-name-it," he said.

He added: "These are people who pay no income tax."

... He adds: "I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-secret-video
I think that supports the quote quite accurately.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
No, he doesn't get it. He still thinks the article is "about someone's taxes in 1985".
Perhaps he "gets it" but realizes that it doesn't matter? The President's approval rating is at an all-time high.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
The President's approval rating is at an all-time high.
Nope.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:16 PM

Ok, a few percentage points difference. Not gonna matter in the next election.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Not my quote but I think I can back it up. The bolded part with a bit of the preceding part for context is "Romney bashed the 47% of the population that don't pay income taxes and told us about how bad those evil, lazy people are".

Here are Romney's actual statements:
In the video, Romney said: "There are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what.

"All right, there are 47% who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to healthcare, to food, to housing, to you-name-it," he said.

He added: "These are people who pay no income tax."

... He adds: "I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...y-secret-video
I think that supports the quote quite accurately.
I remember the incident quite well and have regarded Romney as nothing short of despicable for it. I don't recall Mittens referring to anyone as evil.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
It's low, but in reality, it's as high as it has ever been. He was elected as a historically unpopular president, so the fact that he's unpopular now isn't really newsworthy.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It's low, but in reality, it's as high as it has ever been.
No, that was the 45.5% approval rating when he took office. Except for dips in September and January, he's been at a steady ~42% since last May.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubricious Integument View Post
I remember the incident quite well and have regarded Romney as nothing short of despicable for it. I don't recall Mittens referring to anyone as evil.
You know, if someone else wants to engage in that kind of semantic pedantry with you, they are free to do so. I'm not going to.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:48 PM

Hey they called Kylie Jenner, the youngest self made billionaire and a business woman for whoring out the name that her whore sister had already whored out so why can't Trump be a great businessman for whoring out his name?

Whores have great business sense!

Last edited by pool; 05-07-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:28 PM

CNN has now picked up the Times story and introduced it as a front-page lead.

Sadly, in another example of poor journalism, they quote Trump's lawyer as claiming that IRS transcripts are "notoriously unreliable", but they completely fail to mention that the Times story refutes that claim. From the original Times story:
Mark J. Mazur, a former director of research, analysis and statistics at the I.R.S., said that, far from being considered unreliable, data used to create such transcripts had undergone quality control for decades and had been used to analyze economic trends and set national policy. In addition, I.R.S. auditors often refer to the transcripts as “handy” summaries of tax returns, said Mr. Mazur, now director of the nonpartisan Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center in Washington.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
And in 1994, and for the years in between. Somehow D'Anconia overlooked that. I'm sure he was just tired.

But yeah, let's see something more recent, such as the six years of returns requested by the Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee. I mean, surely those will show once and for all how Trump has spectacularly reversed his previous losses, right?
Old 05-08-2019, 12:00 AM

nm

Last edited by septimus; 05-08-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Perhaps he "gets it" but realizes that it doesn't matter? The President's approval rating is at an all-time high.
This!

Look, I get that it's fun to bag on the retarded Orange man. But none of this is going to help Dems take back the WH in the next election.

Dems getting their panties in a twist over shit like this is the exact type of thing anyone who isn't a Dem makes fun of us for.

By all means, have your fun, but I do hope a lion's share of your focus goes towards shit that actually matters.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:10 AM

this will be forgotten in a few days. I wonder if the guy who saw and leaked this info can also view more recent years returns. If he can then I would think there will be more articles with recent info coming out .
Old 05-08-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
No, that was the 45.5% approval rating when he took office. Except for dips in September and January, he's been at a steady ~42% since last May.
But he was elected with a favorability rating that was the lowest in history - it was even lower than the person he defeated. His popularity went up in the month or two following the election because the nastiness of the race was over, but once he was inaugurated, people remembered he was a douchebag. His popularity as president has been remarkably stable.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:00 AM

People who voted for him solely because they didn't like Hillary can be swayed next time by the idea that Trump considers himself above paying taxes. It doesn't require huge numbers- Trump won Wisconsin's electoral votes because of something like 23,000 voters. Sounds like a lot, maybe, but it is not.

Last edited by bobot; 05-08-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Of course, the returns were 1985-1994. You just happened to choose the earliest year of the span for effect.

Harry Truman died a pauper. Of course, he didn't have a rich dad to bail him out or give him a huge inheritance.

We wouldn't be talking about his 1985-1994 returns if he had released his latest returns like everyone else who has run for office since Nixon.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:27 AM

But guys, in 1994 he was but an idealistic young 48 year old. We can't judge him based on his youthful exuberance. And besides, being a terrible businessman is just locker room talk.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
People who voted for him solely because they didn't like Hillary can be swayed next time by the idea that Trump considers himself above paying taxes. It doesn't require huge numbers- Trump won Wisconsin's electoral votes because of something like 23,000 voters. Sounds like a lot, maybe, but it is not.
Exactly. Americans don't like it when the rich play by different rules. And, now, Trump is doubling down and in his decision on whether to be considered a terrible businessman or a tax cheat, he's gone with tax cheat:

"Real estate developers in the 1980’s & 1990’s, more than 30 years ago, were entitled to massive write offs and depreciation which would, if one was actively building, show losses and tax losses in almost all cases. Much was non monetary. Sometimes considered “tax shelter,” ......

....you would get it by building, or even buying. You always wanted to show losses for tax purposes....almost all real estate developers did - and often re-negotiate with banks, it was sport. Additionally, the very old information put out is a highly inaccurate Fake News hit job!"

This is something Democrats can make a big deal about, because it IS a big deal and it happens to coincide with their message that the rich are not paying their share. Trump isn't paying any share at all.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
"After only his outsider status, Gallup polling showed earlier this year, backers of the real estate mogul turned reality TV star cited his record as a "good businessman" as the leading factor driving their support."

Daily Kos, 6/5/2016
I mean, some people might be upset that they were tricked by a conman. And then there's the likes of D'Anconia.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:14 AM

So it's fake news. Or it's just stuff people like him did. One or the other.

Last edited by not what you'd expect; 05-08-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Someone beat me to it.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:48 AM

what would be funny is if his net worth now was less than the amount of money he got from his father. Which means in total he never made profit over the past 30 years or so.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
I mean, some people might be upset that they were tricked by a conman. And then there's the likes of D'Anconia.
There's one born every minute. While some suckers never realize they've been had, others just don't want to admit it. And then there are those who just like--or put up with--having a steaming pile of bullshit in the Oval Office, for various reasons, and become chronic apologists (c.f. Mitch McConnell).

It's a coalition of suckers and bottom feeders.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:16 AM

Decade in the red. Trump taxes.

I think that a wealthy businessman cheating on his taxes for “sport” provides a pretty legitimate legislative purpose to looking at his taxes in Congress. If we want legislation to stop such a sport, we should understand the methods.

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 05-08-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
No, talking about a decade of incredible losses, 1985 to 1994. Over 1 billion dollars in loss during the time he was supposedly extremely successful. Your habitually lying president is now your financially incompetent habitually lying president. He lied to you...and you eat it up as if it were caviar.