Old 05-27-2019, 06:48 PM

Things your friends do that are weird (to you), but you don't say anything to them about it.

Today while I was organizing my "plastic bag" drawer, my mind flashed on a memory of something that happened awhile ago.

A friend invited me to hang out with her. She's a coworker friend and we'd never hung out before, so I said OK.

She offered me some food--some macaroni and cheese that her husband had made the night before. Of course I accepted. She opened the refrigerator and pulled out a casserole dish. Instead of being wrapped in aluminum foil or saran wrap (or one of those tupperware covers), guess what it was covered in? A plastic grocery bag. The grocery bag had somehow been so snugly enveloped around the dish that every square centimeter of the plastic was in contact with the food. I had to turn away because I didn't trust my face not to reveal the disgust I felt in that moment. I didn't want to ruin the friendship we were solidifying by suddenly being rude and anal-retentive.

But I wanted so badly to say, "WTF!" Doesn't everyone know those things aren't food safe? I mean, I'm not gonna act like saran wrap is sterile, but surely it's cleaner than the bag that all your groceries have been jostling around in, right? Why would anyone use a grocery bag when there are so many better alternatives? I could understand if my friend was impoverished, but she's comfortably upper middle class. She can afford a 99 cent box of foil!

The mac and cheese was delicious and amazingly I didn't die from the grocery bag cooties. But I swear, every time I see a grocery bag I have a mini flashback to that macaroni and cheese.

What weird habits (to you) do your friends have? And have you ever pointed those habits out to them?
Old 05-27-2019, 06:50 PM

I totally thought this was IMHO. Sorry!!
Old 05-27-2019, 09:30 PM
Mod Rocker

Not a problem. Here it is in IMHO.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:52 PM

She's recycling her grocery bags as food wrap. It's not sterile but, then, as you ponited out, neither is single-use cling film or aluminium foil. I doubt that this practice presents a signficant poisoning hazard and, from an environmental point of view, it has much to commend it.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

I have a friend that uses those bags to toss salad in. (Didn't really bother me though. But I can understand why it would others).

Same friend still uses snail mail to pay all his bills. It's weird because he's an engineer that works on sophisticated, high tech equipment. You'd think he'd be less of a luddite but he's not.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDS View Post
She's recycling her grocery bags as food wrap. It's not sterile but, then, as you ponited out, neither is single-use cling film or aluminium foil. I doubt that this practice presents a signficant poisoning hazard and, from an environmental point of view, it has much to commend it.
I recycle the bags too. I used them as a receptical for kitty litter box turds. And I also use them to carry my shoes when I'm traveling. So perhaps this is why I have a psychological hang-up about these bags coming in contact with food.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
Today while I was organizing my "plastic bag" drawer,
Um, um ... That's actually kind of funny to me that you open a post with this subject with this sentence. You have a plastic bag drawer? That is pretty weird to me, especially if you're freaked out about food contamination. Do you reuse plastic bags? What exactly is in your "plastic bag" drawer?

ETA: ok maybe your ninja post answers that. You recycle them but don't use them for food?

Last edited by markn+; 05-27-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:13 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Um, um ... That's actually kind of funny to me that you open a post with this subject with this sentence. You have a plastic bag drawer? That is pretty weird to me, especially if you're freaked out about food contamination. Do you reuse plastic bags? What exactly is in your "plastic bag" drawer?

ETA: ok maybe your ninja post answers that. You recycle them but don't use them for food?
Maybe it's a bag drawer made of plastic.. She stores all manner of bags in there.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Sticking with food related weirdness, I’ve never understood dipping pizza crusts in ranch dressing nor dipping fries in mayo. One of my closest friends does this and he is a professional chef!
Old 05-27-2019, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

You don't save your bags? That seems weird to me. There are all kinds of non food stuff those things come in handy for.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
You don't save your bags? That seems weird to me. There are all kinds of non food stuff those things come in handy for.
If I start saving plastic grocery bags, my biggest storage problem quickly becomes "what do I do with all these grocery bags?" Once I bought one of those insulated lunch bags years ago, I had/have almost no use for them. They go straight into the recycle bin at my house.

The annoying thing is I've got a cloth grocery bag somewhere. I used it all the time when living in Chicago, but here in KY people the common perception seemed to be that I was shoplifting (despite often loading the bag right in front of store staff). It stopped being worth the security hassle pretty quickly.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:42 AM

markn+, over the past year, I've been really good about using reusable tote bags for my grocery shopping. But I've still got a really big plastic bag collection. I primarly use them as garbage bags (they fit nicely in the small garbage can in my bathroom) and to lug various knicknacks (shoes). I find it weird that someone would not have a "plastic bag" drawer (or cabinet or whatever)...assuming they live in a place where they haven't been banned. It is kind of hard to be a modern consumer and not accumulate those things, even when one is conscientious about using reusable bags as much as possible.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
markn+, over the past year, I've been really good about using reusable tote bags for my grocery shopping. But I've still got a really big plastic bag collection. I primarly use them as garbage bags (they fit nicely in the small garbage can in my bathroom) and to lug various knicknacks (shoes). I find it weird that someone would not have a "plastic bag" drawer (or cabinet or whatever)...assuming they live in a place where they haven't been banned. It is kind of hard to be a modern consumer and not accumulate those things, even when one is conscientious about using reusable bags as much as possible.
I have a "bag of bags" on a shelf under my kitchen table. Because my husband.will.not throw.them away. We need a limited amount to recycle- no pets, and we only need maybe 10 bags a year to pack shoes.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:

The mac and cheese was delicious and amazingly I didn't die from the grocery bag cooties. But I swear, every time I see a grocery bag I have a mini flashback to that macaroni and cheese.
I love the fact that, despite your revulsion, you still ate the mac n cheese!

I have a friend who's a recycling nazi - I'm pretty good, but not on her level (she harasses me about my use of teabags, for instance). For Christmas, she gave me some home made grease proof paper for use instead of cling film (salen wrap??)

This stuff involved her spreading wax over old wrapping paper, and telling me to not ever throw it out, but just wipe and reuse it at will.

It's in my top kitchen drawer. Makes me heave a bit every time I look at it.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:

I'm genuinely amazed there's still people who don't reuse their plastic bags, and who therefore don't have a plastic bag drawer/cupboard.

I reuse my plastic bags for, wait for it, grocery shopping!
Old 05-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Sticking with food related weirdness, Iíve never understood dipping pizza crusts in ranch dressing nor dipping fries in mayo. One of my closest friends does this and he is a professional chef!
I prefer mayo over ketchup for fries. It's good!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:06 AM

I think I was a little confused by the term "plastic bag drawer". I was picturing a drawer full of old ziplock bags crusted with food residue. I used to recycle plastic grocery bags (although I would not refer to a grocery bag by the simple term "plastic bag", adding to my initial confusion). Plastic grocery bags have been banned where I live for several years, so I no longer recycle any type of plastic bag, although I have a closet full of paper grocery bags.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:06 AM

The one great thing I've learned from the French is using mayo for pomme frites.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
I'm genuinely amazed there's still people who don't reuse their plastic bags, and who therefore don't have a plastic bag drawer/cupboard.

I reuse my plastic bags for, wait for it, grocery shopping!
Grocery store started charging for bags (well every store in town), so I just buy the things like 5000at a time on Amazon. We use 'em for all kinds of stuff, but mostly trash related.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I put the plastic grocery bags in the recycle bin by default, and then if I need one (for non-food purposes), I fish one out. It's basically clean in there. That way, i don't accumulate a huge drawer full. I generally can find one near the top if I need one.

I am probably the weird one here, but I don't understand why almost everyone puts coffee in first, and then milk and sugar. Sugar doesn't dissolve as easily, but if you do milk or sweetener or both, if you put them in first and then the coffee, you don't have to dirty a spoon. It's much more efficient. But almost no one else seems to do this.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:51 AM

My sister:
Bread and pancake syrup (Aunt Jemimah not real maple) are kept in the fridge. I know a lot of people keep their bread in the fridge (many threads/posts about this) but it's weird to me! IMO it dries out.

My mom:
Drinking glasses are put right side up in the cupboard. I always put mine upside down so dust, etc don't fall inside. Although, I can't imagine there is a lot of dust falling in the glasses. It's just something I've always done.

MIL:
ALL electrical cords are unplugged every night - except for the fridge. She is terrified of fire, so she unplugs all of her lamps, TV, washer, dryer, etc.

Friend:
I consider myself a type A, but this friend takes type A to the next level. If you are invited to her home for dinner she will tell you that she doesn't want any help doing dishes. She has her way of doing them and that's the only way they can be done.

Aunt:
I don't know if she still does this but back when I would babysit my little cousin for her, I remember going into the fridge and seeing leftovers still in the pan the meal was cooked in. She never put them into a container and most of the time they weren't even covered. There would be a large frying pan with a small amount of leftover sloppy joes, uncovered shoved in the fridge.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda JO View Post
I am probably the weird one here, but I don't understand why almost everyone puts coffee in first, and then milk and sugar. Sugar doesn't dissolve as easily, but if you do milk or sweetener or both, if you put them in first and then the coffee, you don't have to dirty a spoon. It's much more efficient. But almost no one else seems to do this.
I always end up needing to stir it anyway, or I end up with undissolved sugar crystals at the bottom of my cup. Maybe it's a geometry thing where some cup shapes mix the contents better or something?

To the OP's question:

I know quite a few people whose home renovation/decor choices are dramatically NOT in keeping with their everyday cleaning habits. In particular, someone who's a neat-freak to the point of it nearly being a mental illness got dark cherry floors when they renovated. Seems to be to be a recipe for driving yourself crazy if you can't stand dirt/dust. Or people who are on the other end of that spectrum getting light colors that show dirt/dust/stains. Seems weird to me that they'd be that... unaware.

And finally... as far as mayonnaise on fries goes, that's a classic Belgian/Dutch way to eat fries, not some oddity of personal taste. And it's good! Different than ketchup, but good nonetheless.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
My mom:
Drinking glasses are put right side up in the cupboard. I always put mine upside down so dust, etc don't fall inside. Although, I can't imagine there is a lot of dust falling in the glasses. It's just something I've always done.
Oh, that''s a good one. I belong the Church of Right Side Up Glasses. While I understand the idea of keeping dust out by storing them upside down, my reasoning is: a glass is typically in the cupboard for a few days before I used it. It won't get much dust in that time. On the other hand, the cupboard shelf itself sits there collecting dust all the time, and I actually remove all the glasses and clean the shelves maybe once a year. So putting the glass upside down on the shelf causes a bunch of dust to adhere to the rim, and is thus worse if you're worried about drinking dust (which I'm not really, but I'd just as soon not).
Old 05-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I grew up in my mother's house, where the trash cans were inside and the garbage can was outside on the porch. We never put any food residue whatsoever in a trash can. My mother would go batshit crazy. We went outisde and put it in the garbage can.

I cannot understand people putting food in inside trash cans. I cannot even put a paper cup that held water into the little bag at my register. I have to take it to the big trash can in the corner to deposit it, otherwise I go crazy. But I don't tell my friends about it.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I grew up in my mother's house, where the trash cans were inside and the garbage can was outside on the porch. We never put any food residue whatsoever in a trash can. My mother would go batshit crazy. We went outisde and put it in the garbage can.

I cannot understand people putting food in inside trash cans.
That's because you grew up somewhere where you could keep a garbage can on the porch which was presumably right outside the kitchen door ( or at least close by). For me to put all items with food residue outside would require me to walk from my kitchen through the first floor and out the front door - which I suppose I might do if my husband and I didn't both grow up in apartments that required walking a couple of flights of stairs to put food waste outside.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
When I'm at home, I put the Coffee-mate in first, just so putting the coffee in after mixes it up. You are right, no spoon necessary.

When I reheat coffee, I have to put the Coffee-mate in after it's heated, and then I have to dirty a spoon. Annoys me to no end.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I put the plastic grocery bags in the recycle bin by default, and then if I need one (for non-food purposes), I fish one out. It's basically clean in there. That way, i don't accumulate a huge drawer full. I generally can find one near the top if I need one.

I put the cream in first. My wife takes it and I don't, so when I pour coffee into our to-go mugs in the morning I put the cream in hers first, then an inch or two of coffee and give the mug a swirl. Then I pour mine and then top hers off.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:42 PM

Friend's wife's grandmother washes all her paper towels and leaves them to dry on a lattice in her back porch. He took a picture of it with the intent to show how weird it was, but I thought it was a pretty picture. She obviously grew up when times were tight.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
I love the fact that, despite your revulsion, you still ate the mac n cheese!

I have a friend who's a recycling nazi - I'm pretty good, but not on her level (she harasses me about my use of teabags, for instance). For Christmas, she gave me some home made grease proof paper for use instead of cling film (salen wrap??)

This stuff involved her spreading wax over old wrapping paper, and telling me to not ever throw it out, but just wipe and reuse it at will.

It's in my top kitchen drawer. Makes me heave a bit every time I look at it.
So why keep it, then?
Old 05-28-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I prefer mayo over ketchup for fries. It's good!
Even better is Thousand Island dressing.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

A plastic bag drawer? Sure, sure.

But you were organizing it?

Like, folding them neatly? Lining them up exactly? Sorting them by colour?

Every collection of plastic bags, I have ever seen employed, involved a mighty and crumpled mass. Zero organization!

But ORGANIZED plastic bag drawer?

It’s sounds wonderous indeed. I, for one, am beyond impressed!
Old 05-28-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The one great thing I've learned from the French is using mayo for pomme frites.
No kidding. Fat makes things taste better, as well as ruining your health. Mayo is just gobs of fat, so of course it tastes good. But unlike the French, sometimes I like to mix some chipotle or curry powder in the mayo. Because fat + spice > fat alone.

I have a friend who eats all his french fries before he will even touch his burger. I donít understand it, but I feel like the window to ask has long since closed.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDS View Post
My concern is that who knows what was in the bag before and what kind of contaminates there might be. If the bag held cleaning products, poisons, uncooked meats, or something like that, some residue could be left behind. I agree that cling film and foil are not sterile, but there's little chance that they have some liquid from raw meat on them if they come straight out of the box.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I have a friend that uses those bags to toss salad in. (Didn't really bother me though. But I can understand why it would others).
OK, maybe I'm weird, but that actually seems like kind of a good idea.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post

Every collection of plastic bags, I have ever seen employed, involved a mighty and crumpled mass. Zero organization!

Itís sounds wonderous indeed. I, for one, am beyond impressed!
By "organized", I mean squooshing them all into the drawer so that there's nothing hanging out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore
My concern is that who knows what was in the bag before and what kind of contaminates there might be. If the bag held cleaning products, poisons, uncooked meats, or something like that, some residue could be left behind. I agree that cling film and foil are not sterile, but there's little chance that they have some liquid from raw meat on them if they come straight out of the box.
Thanks for showing me I'm not the only one who is squicked out by wrapping cooked foods in grocery bags. For a moment there I thought maybe I was the weirdo.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Friend's wife's grandmother washes all her paper towels and leaves them to dry on a lattice in her back porch. He took a picture of it with the intent to show how weird it was, but I thought it was a pretty picture. She obviously grew up when times were tight.
Yes, indeed. My paternal grandmother used to do this. I remember it well, and I thought it was weird when I was a kid, but as an adult, I realize that (a) her husband, my grandfather, died very young (WWII), she didn't make much money (she work retail in a department store in NYC), and (b) she was raising three kids through the Depression and WWII.

So, yeah, she saved stuff, even when it was no longer necessary. Her grown kids more than paid her back, got her a nice apartment, everything, but she was still saving paper towels and foil and string and who knows what else.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:01 PM

We were at dinner at our friends apartment and they mentioned their dirty dishes cupboard, as if this was a universally understood norm.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
We were at dinner at our friends apartment and they mentioned their dirty dishes cupboard, as if this was a universally understood norm.
Itís a porcelain porn set
Old 05-29-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I have a friend who eats all his french fries before he will even touch his burger. I donít understand it, but I feel like the window to ask has long since closed.
Ooh, I know this one!

It's because fries are only amazing when they're hot. And with all that surface area, they get lukewarm fairly quickly. Whereas the burger will stay warm with its little hat on.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

I can understand putting the cream in second if you are at a place whose strength you do not know: it is easy to mix in more cream if you need to but not easy to dilute it if you put in too much - and if you don't put in enough that you're in danger of putting in too much, you'll most likely have to add more in anyway, unless you know the exact strength. I put in the cream afterward because I only use cream at places who brew their tea strongly anyway and I rarely partake at the same place enough to know how much I want.

Sweetener is another story since putting it in early lets it dissolve better and you're more likely to know exactly how much you're using. I no longer use sweetener so I don't have to worry about that.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Maybe they were just using a 'cutesy' term for their dishwasher? If not, that is totally weird. What isn't weird is having 2 dishwashers and not bothering to put the clean plates in the cupboard in between, but I haven't remodelled my kitchen to do that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Itís a porcelain porn set
Ha!
Old 05-29-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Oh, that''s a good one. I belong the Church of Right Side Up Glasses. While I understand the idea of keeping dust out by storing them upside down, my reasoning is: a glass is typically in the cupboard for a few days before I used it. It won't get much dust in that time. On the other hand, the cupboard shelf itself sits there collecting dust all the time, and I actually remove all the glasses and clean the shelves maybe once a year. So putting the glass upside down on the shelf causes a bunch of dust to adhere to the rim, and is thus worse if you're worried about drinking dust (which I'm not really, but I'd just as soon not).
This.

The lip of the glass is touching the cupboard surface so it has to be in contact with something that hasn't been cleaned recently versus theoretical dust in an enclosed environment.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:10 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

As of yesterday, a dear friend got a job as a hospice chaplin. She had previously been a rape crisis counselor, but found that too stressful. I will not be remarking on this to her, but it sure seems like a "frying pan to fire" situation to me.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post

Yeah, that's the part I was wondering about.

Quote:
By "organized", I mean squooshing them all into the drawer so that there's nothing hanging out.
Ah, now that's my kind of organizing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
It's because fries are only amazing when they're hot. And with all that surface area, they get lukewarm fairly quickly.
Yes, this is exactly why fries have to be eaten first.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Yeah, that's the part I was wondering about.

Ah, now that's my kind of organizing!

Yes, this is exactly why fries have to be eaten first.
Mouthful of burger, stuff in fries, fill the voids with chocolate milkshake. Chew. Delicious.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:03 AM

^^^^^ Just No!^^^^
Old 05-30-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Mouthful of burger, stuff in fries, fill the voids with chocolate milkshake. Chew. Delicious.
I endorse this post.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I have a co-worker who is Hindu but her husband is Catholic, and they often participate in each other's religious rituals. But I still find it odd when I hear her talk about what she's giving up for Lent.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I have a co-worker who is Hindu but her husband is Catholic, and they often participate in each other's religious rituals. But I still find it odd when I hear her talk about what she's giving up for Lent.
You might not know- but is it really a matter of her giving up something for Lent or them as a couple giving something up? I wouldn't find it at all odd if they both gave up soda or red meat or candy or anything else where it might be easier in some sense for both to give it up rather than having soda in the house that he can't drink. I would find it odd if he gave up buying lottery tickets and she gave up Facebook.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Then say hello to Debbie Diabetes.