Old 05-30-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
You might not know- but is it really a matter of her giving up something for Lent or them as a couple giving something up? I wouldn't find it at all odd if they both gave up soda or red meat or candy or anything else where it might be easier in some sense for both to give it up rather than having soda in the house that he can't drink. I would find it odd if he gave up buying lottery tickets and she gave up Facebook.
Nope. I mean, obviously she is doing it because she is supporting her husband doing it, but they give up different things. Like for example he may give up beer, and she gives up chocolate.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Sticking with food related weirdness, Iíve never understood dipping pizza crusts in ranch dressing nor dipping fries in mayo. One of my closest friends does this and he is a professional chef!
Fries with mayo are freakin' delicious, and whenever I eat them I thank Tarantino and Travolta for putting the idea in my head.

Ranch dressing has never made any sense to me, though

My boyfriend, now, he has some weird, obnoxious eating habits. Like, sometimes he eats dry, uncooked pasta or rice right from the package.

Even worse, he eats dry powdered milk by the cupful. Dry flour, too. And pancake mix, and instant mashed potato flakes when he can get away with it. That really pisses me off, especially when I was planning on using the pancake mix or powdered milk or potato flakes to make something with.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=manson1972;21666987]When I'm at home, I put the Coffee-mate in first, just so putting the coffee in after mixes it up. You are right, no spoon necessary.

This is how I make a bourbon and Coke. If I'm making an especially tall one I'll put some coke in first, then the bourbon then more coke.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:51 AM
born to be shunned

Behavior: voting straight party tickets. In other words pull one lever and vote for all the endorsed whatevers. I know people from both side who do that and I just never fathomed the concept. Dammit vote the person and not the Party dammit.

Things; half/mostly-empty freezers. Its a waste of energy. OK, you can't keep it full of food but fill some of the dead air with stale bread in a plastic bag or something. IMHO it also helps prevent freezer burn.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post

Same friend still uses snail mail to pay all his bills. It's weird because he's an engineer that works on sophisticated, high tech equipment. You'd think he'd be less of a luddite but he's not.
As an engineer who until recently also paid all bills snail-mail only, let me offer a possible explanation: doing so minimizes accounting errors and increases your level of control through consistency. This kind of thinking process is so engineering that I'm surprised you call it "Luddite." Heck, it's practically NASA-level "mitigation of risk."

Here's what I mean. If you have a number of different ways to pay bills, I find it's easy to forget to pay some of them, or if you properly pay them, you may forget to update your ledger. So I had to take deliberate steps to invent ways to prevent these mistakes from happening, as I could all too easily see myself screwing it up if it were left to chance. I came up with a system that ensured that every paper bill had its spot in my drawer, that all bills were gathered before paying them, and every payment had a "receipt" (email or text ok) provided. Then I update my ledger by hand, and all is good. Repeat monthly, ad infinitum, and don't put too much thought into it.

Grumble: now my phone company is saying they won't send me a paper bill because I've been paying online for a while. Hope I don't forget to pay them...

Last edited by Limmin; 05-30-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Behavior: voting straight party tickets. In other words pull one lever and vote for all the endorsed whatevers. I know people from both side who do that and I just never fathomed the concept. Dammit vote the person and not the Party dammit.
I'd say you got it backwards?
1. The party supports your views. Hence you support the party.
2. Vote the party.

The individuals' quirks do not matter. I don't watch politicians on TV or listen to their speeches. I just do a sanity check to see if they'll support my views for real (no crypto candidates) and are capable of winning an election (because if not, why bother?) and can hold their own during ad-lib speeches, discussions, etc. Play well with other international leaders, etc. Don't do anything too stupid or angry, etc. Don't be a jerk. That's about it for me. Which almost always leads to the endorsed candidate. So I'm cool with party voting. Heck, I'd be happy to automate the process, just record my vote for the next 50 elections right now, so I don't have to go vote.

If they're charismatic and otherwise interesting as a person, that's a bonus, but not a reason to vote for them. Voting the party takes the personality right out of the picture, as is right and proper.

Last edited by Limmin; 05-30-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Things; half/mostly-empty freezers. Its a waste of energy. OK, you can't keep it full of food but fill some of the dead air with stale bread in a plastic bag or something. IMHO it also helps prevent freezer burn.
Having more stuff in there requires more energy than having less stuff And I'd rather be able to reach the ice cubes without needing to claw my way through everything else. Littlebro and 2.SiL are on my side; Middlebro, 1.SiL and Mom are on yours. Electric bills right after siesta!*

* It's when Littlebro the Comptroller is at his best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limmin View Post
As an engineer who until recently also paid all bills snail-mail only, let me offer a possible explanation: doing so minimizes accounting errors and increases your level of control through consistency. This kind of thinking process is so engineering that I'm surprised you call it "Luddite." Heck, it's practically NASA-level "mitigation of risk."

Here's what I mean. If you have a number of different ways to pay bills, I find it's easy to forget to pay some of them, or if you properly pay them, you may forget to update your ledger. So I had to take deliberate steps to invent ways to prevent these mistakes from happening, as I could all too easily see myself screwing it up if it were left to chance. I came up with a system that ensured that every paper bill had its spot in my drawer, that all bills were gathered before paying them, and every payment had a "receipt" (email or text ok) provided. Then I update my ledger by hand, and all is good. Repeat monthly, ad infinitum, and don't put too much thought into it.

Grumble: now my phone company is saying they won't send me a paper bill because I've been paying online for a while. Hope I don't forget to pay them...
What's Luddite is needing to pay them individually e-billing for the win, man.

Nava, engineer.

Last edited by Nava; 05-30-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El DeLuxo View Post
My boyfriend, now, he has some weird, obnoxious eating habits. Like, sometimes he eats dry, uncooked pasta or rice right from the package.

Even worse, he eats dry powdered milk by the cupful. Dry flour, too. And pancake mix, and instant mashed potato flakes when he can get away with it. That really pisses me off, especially when I was planning on using the pancake mix or powdered milk or potato flakes to make something with.
He is training for the zombie apocalypse/nuclear war/end of the world. Just add water.

He had better really hope that there is some water available.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The one great thing I've learned from the French is using mayo for pomme frites.
Isn't it the Dutch who dip their fries in Mayo?

One 'weird' thing I participated in, with respect to fries, was at a fair or similar outdoor activity in Germany a while back. They served fries in a serving-sized tray, into which you could squeeze whatever condiment you liked, then you ate the fries...then ate the tray.

The tray was made out of a flat, tough, baked material a bit like a communion wafer. It was not cardboard, but looked like it. When soaked with fry oil and salt after holding the fries, it was perfectly palatable.

Have never seen this outside of that one time, maybe it's common in EU??
Old 05-30-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
What's Luddite is needing to pay them individually e-billing for the win, man.

Nava, engineer.
Yeah, I too was eventually moved to use e-billing through the promise of not having to keep buying books of stamps. My desire for consistency and control lost out to my desire to do as little work as possible.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The one great thing I've learned from the French is using mayo for pomme frites.
And if you ask for Pommes rot/weiss in Germany (or Fritten rot/weiss, depending on the region) you will get them with mayo and ketchup
Old 05-30-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
When I'm at home, I put the Coffee-mate in first, just so putting the coffee in after mixes it up. You are right, no spoon necessary.

When I reheat coffee, I have to put the Coffee-mate in after it's heated, and then I have to dirty a spoon. Annoys me to no end.
You reheat coffee? That is weird to me. Does it not get bitter?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:43 PM

I had a friend in college that would not touch any of the beverages (usually, 3 glasses of soda, 2 of milk) he had on his cafeteria tray until he finished ALL of his food. I know that the OP was about not calling friends out on their weirdness, but we had to ask, and he explained that at home, his family would not even put drinks on the table until all of them had finished their food. His MO at school was a concession to the distance between the drink dispensers back in the cafeteria and the tables where we ate.

At my house, my mom yelling "milk and water" was a warning to me and my sibs to finish setting the table by putting the drinks out - dinner was nearly ready to serve. So his "no drinks until food is done" was really weird to me.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:

One 'weird' thing I participated in, with respect to fries, was at a fair or similar outdoor activity in Germany a while back. They served fries in a serving-sized tray, into which you could squeeze whatever condiment you liked, then you ate the fries...then ate the tray.

The tray was made out of a flat, tough, baked material a bit like a communion wafer. It was not cardboard, but looked like it. When soaked with fry oil and salt after holding the fries, it was perfectly palatable.

Have never seen this outside of that one time, maybe it's common in EU??
It sounds like a modernized and modified version of a trencher to me: a hard, flat bread which was used as a plate in olden times (from which we get the word trencherman for an accomplished eater). The idea was, you ate your meat and vegetables and so forth off it and it soaked up all the juices and you finished the meal by eating your plate.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
I just add more Coffee Mate

Plus, I don't really care how it tastes, it's really just for caffeine. Coffee with milk and sugar or Coffee Mate tastes better, but it's not a deal breaker.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:46 PM

My mother actually does organize her plastic grocery bags. She folds them neatly into about a 3-inch strip, and rolls them up together. When the cylinder reaches about 4 inches in diameter, she starts a new one. (And offers the "completed" roll to whomever seems likely to need a roll of plastic bags, because heaven knows that two old people with one dog don't need 3000 plastic grocery bags!)

OCD and hoarding behavior seriously run in my mother's family, though. (Ma's middle sister does the "no beverage until food is fully consumed" thing, but I think that ties in with her orthorexia, and she never made it a family rule or anything.)
Old 05-31-2019, 12:37 AM

I actually would assume that clingwrap is nearly sterile. Why wouldn't it be? Nothing has touched the inner side of it since it was manufactured, which involves a lot of heat. The issue I have with the shopping bags is that they've been used for other things. And, since most food is packaged in some way, I wouldn't even expect them to be made out a food grade plastic, while clingwrap would have to be to serve its function. They even removed a chemical from it because it was toxic.

Now, I don't know if this makes any appreciable difference, or if it is correlated with other behaviors I would find less sanitary, but I totally get being uneasy about the bags touching the food. Though I admit I'd've done the same thing as monstro.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Oh, that''s a good one. I belong the Church of Right Side Up Glasses. While I understand the idea of keeping dust out by storing them upside down, my reasoning is: a glass is typically in the cupboard for a few days before I used it. It won't get much dust in that time. On the other hand, the cupboard shelf itself sits there collecting dust all the time, and I actually remove all the glasses and clean the shelves maybe once a year. So putting the glass upside down on the shelf causes a bunch of dust to adhere to the rim, and is thus worse if you're worried about drinking dust (which I'm not really, but I'd just as soon not).
Mine is simply that I'm going to rinse the glass anyways before I use it.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
What weird habits (to you) do your friends have? And have you ever pointed those habits out to them?

Someone I know has a very strange case of plasticbag-o-phobia.

Never could understand where that came from, possibly some childhood trauma or something similar.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinKitFox View Post
Someone I know has a very strange case of plasticbag-o-phobia.

Never could understand where that came from, possibly some childhood trauma or something similar.
Maybe she feels like a plastic bag drifting through the wind, wanting to start again.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmatt View Post
I had a friend in college that would not touch any of the beverages (usually, 3 glasses of soda, 2 of milk) he had on his cafeteria tray until he finished ALL of his food. I know that the OP was about not calling friends out on their weirdness, but we had to ask, and he explained that at home, his family would not even put drinks on the table until all of them had finished their food. His MO at school was a concession to the distance between the drink dispensers back in the cafeteria and the tables where we ate.

At my house, my mom yelling "milk and water" was a warning to me and my sibs to finish setting the table by putting the drinks out - dinner was nearly ready to serve. So his "no drinks until food is done" was really weird to me.
Not the least weird thing in this story (to me) is the idea of drinking five drinks all in a row.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDS View Post
She's recycling her grocery bags as food wrap. It's not sterile but, then, as you ponited out, neither is single-use cling film or aluminium foil. I doubt that this practice presents a signficant poisoning hazard and, from an environmental point of view, it has much to commend it.
Like what? The plastic for grocery bags is not food grade, so it contains chemicals that can leach out into the food. The gruesome chemical details can found in the 'Net. It is even more gruesome if the printed side comes into contact with the comestibles, printing dyes are really, really not intended for consumption.

Saran wrap are not medically sterile, unless you wish to autoclave them before use, but are food grade and are inherently clean due to be packed in a roll.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:54 AM

Food grade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
I love the fact that, despite your revulsion, you still ate the mac n cheese!

I have a friend who's a recycling nazi - I'm pretty good, but not on her level (she harasses me about my use of teabags, for instance). For Christmas, she gave me some home made grease proof paper for use instead of cling film (salen wrap??)

This stuff involved her spreading wax over old wrapping paper, and telling me to not ever throw it out, but just wipe and reuse it at will.

It's in my top kitchen drawer. Makes me heave a bit every time I look at it.
She seems to be gloriously unaware that greaseproof paper is made in quite a different way. Maybe you should sneak into her house one day and stick a "Is is food grade?" label on her more interesting attempts.

I do my best to reduce the amount of plastic waste, but we still produce about one sack of metal and plastic waste a week - we get these pretty little pale yellow sacks that are, I think, 120 liters in size. Yup, Europe is big on separating and recycling. Also, several countries introduced a charge for plastic bags within the past few years. It can be a bummer if you have forgotten to bring a bag with you, but in general it is a good idea. I was using cloth bags for shopping before this anyway. In the old days we could easily end up with bags full of other bags, but now we just have a small collection.

Since we don't have so many shopping bags now, I use bin liners instead if the "bag of bags" is getting low. Like one or two other posters here, I find shopping bags are really handy for storing shoes when traveling.

But no way would I go to ridiculous lengths to recycle. Some things do have to be thrown away.

BTW, regarding the recycling of paper, the old-style newsprint was ideal for composting due to the carbon-based ink. But that stopped ever since newspapers used color printing, the dyes are poisonous and don't break down in composting.

More on composting; a while back we bought some bags for food waste that said they were compostable. They might have been chemically harmless, but they sure as heck did not compost, or at least, on any reasonable time scale.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:56 AM

Bread goes stale MORE QUICKLY at fridge temperatures. Strange but true.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:

Does he get stomach trouble or worse? Humans were not designed to consume raw wheat. Milk powder would just dehydrate him.

As a kid I sometimes ate small bits of pastry dough, but it quickly became nauseous.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
BTW, regarding the recycling of paper, the old-style newsprint was ideal for composting due to the carbon-based ink. But that stopped ever since newspapers used color printing, the dyes are poisonous and don't break down in composting.
That's largely not true any more- I think all EU newspapers now use soy or water based biodegradable coloured ink, due to toxicity concerns about the older stuff.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:19 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
I'd say you got it backwards?
Nope; meant it the way I said it. A Party represents nothing more than its collective need to retain power however you happen to define it. And with extremes in both major parties the overall platforms are a compromise at best and a planned assault on the "other guys" at worst. Since both sides can have good people under their flags, take the time to study and vote the person you feel best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Having more stuff in there requires more energy than having less stuff And I'd rather be able to reach the ice cubes without needing to claw my way through everything else.
I was speaking of the larger chest/upright freezers not the little one in your frig. And since every installer and repairman I know uses the old "cheap bagged bread as an air filler" trick I'll stick with them. YMMV of course.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It sounds like a modernized and modified version of a trencher to me: a hard, flat bread which was used as a plate in olden times (from which we get the word trencherman for an accomplished eater). The idea was, you ate your meat and vegetables and so forth off it and it soaked up all the juices and you finished the meal by eating your plate.
Or if you were rich, your almoner would collect your hall's uneaten trenchers and distribute them to the poor.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Does he get stomach trouble or worse? Humans were not designed to consume raw wheat. Milk powder would just dehydrate him.

As a kid I sometimes ate small bits of pastry dough, but it quickly became nauseous.
I thought raw wheat was ok, except for possible food safety issues, but raw beans are actively poisonous.

Do I have that backward?
Old 05-31-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
No kidding. Fat makes things taste better, as well as ruining your health. Mayo is just gobs of fat, so of course it tastes good. But unlike the French, sometimes I like to mix some chipotle or curry powder in the mayo. Because fat + spice > fat alone.

I have a friend who eats all his french fries before he will even touch his burger. I donít understand it, but I feel like the window to ask has long since closed.
I'll sometimes eat all my fries first if I know they're going to cool off quickly, and they taste a lot better hot. If they're mid range quality fries, I'll just eat them interspersed between bites of burger.

I like mixing my dipping mayo with sriracha, but curry powder is great, too!
Old 05-31-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Today while I was organizing my "plastic bag" drawer, my mind flashed on a memory of something that happened awhile ago.

A friend invited me to hang out with her. She's a coworker friend and we'd never hung out before, so I said OK.

She offered me some food--some macaroni and cheese that her husband had made the night before. Of course I accepted. She opened the refrigerator and pulled out a casserole dish. Instead of being wrapped in aluminum foil or saran wrap (or one of those tupperware covers), guess what it was covered in? A plastic grocery bag. The grocery bag had somehow been so snugly enveloped around the dish that every square centimeter of the plastic was in contact with the food. I had to turn away because I didn't trust my face not to reveal the disgust I felt in that moment. I didn't want to ruin the friendship we were solidifying by suddenly being rude and anal-retentive.

But I wanted so badly to say, "WTF!" Doesn't everyone know those things aren't food safe? I mean, I'm not gonna act like saran wrap is sterile, but surely it's cleaner than the bag that all your groceries have been jostling around in, right? Why would anyone use a grocery bag when there are so many better alternatives? I could understand if my friend was impoverished, but she's comfortably upper middle class. She can afford a 99 cent box of foil!

The mac and cheese was delicious and amazingly I didn't die from the grocery bag cooties. But I swear, every time I see a grocery bag I have a mini flashback to that macaroni and cheese.

What weird habits (to you) do your friends have? And have you ever pointed those habits out to them?
I'm afraid this story has me decided that it's you that's weird. What the hell is wrong with reusing plastic? When you show me the data that proves one can get sick from grocery bags, I will stop thinking you're some kinda neurotic strange-o.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
I'm afraid this story has me decided that it's you that's weird. What the hell is wrong with reusing plastic? When you show me the data that proves one can get sick from grocery bags, I will stop thinking you're some kinda neurotic strange-o.
Part of it is the unappetizing nature of using something which most people think of as garbage to wrap food. I'd feel similarly grossed out if it was an unused garbage bag wrapping the food.

I assume that most people would feel grossed out if they had to lick the packaging of their groceries. The carton of eggs might have some spilled yolk, the meat may have some residue on the outside, etc. When those groceries go into the bag, all that gross stuff is now pressed against the plastic of the bag, where likely some of it ends up on the plastic. If you ever use reusable bags at the grocery story, the inside does not stay pristine and clean. It gets stained and gunky from the groceries. I'm pretty sure everyone would find it gross to lick the inside of such a bag. It's unappetizing to have that gunk pressed against food regardless of whether it's going to make me sick or not.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:49 PM

I'll just arrive on scene to say that reusing plastic grocery bags in the way described in the OP is definitely unsanitary and weird. Absolutely. As mentioned before, industrial inks are definitely not meant to be ingested, and it doesn't take a lot to give you issues. I found out in college that all the oil paint I was casually getting on my skin or maybe getting in my mouth from the brush without a thought could give you a huge range of ailments from losing your sense of smell to coma and cancer. I started washing up properly after that. You don't want the ink on bags touching your food. And of course, the plastic itself is not food-grade and can leech poisonous chemicals into your food. I'm honestly boggled that anyone would consider this. I also consider plastic grocery bags inherently too dirty, not even mentioning the toxic chemicals. I mean, I put them directly on the floor of my car's trunk. That is definitely not clean enough to eat off of.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:20 PM

Before they were banned (or discouraged by charging for them) here in CA, we collected the plastic grocery bags we didn't use to line small garbage cans and brought them to our church, where people apparently wove them together to use as sleeping mats for our unfortunately large homeless community. I never actually saw the output but we delivered lots of bags to this cause.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:33 PM

I had two good ones, but they aren't acceptable because I've mentioned it to my friends. Here they are anyway:

I have a friend who places the empty egg shell back into the egg carton. Yup...cracks the egg into whatever, then nests one half of the shell on the other and places it back in the carton in the recently vacated spot. He says it saves dripping the empty shells across the floor or counter and that the refrigerator dries out the remnant of the white. He says he's done it for at least thirty years. I have to admit that I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with doing it. (I know someone is going to say that it's a salmonella hazard or something, but I don't really see how it is.)

Another friend always orders a soft drink (usually Coca-Cola) with every meal and then stirs it until the carbonations pretty much disappears. He says he likes the flavor, but not the fizz. I've seen him stir a drink on and off for ten or fifteen minutes to get it to the point it's acceptable.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
You can usually get away with reheating it once. Reheating it over and over, or leaving it on the heat for long stretches of time, can make it bitter.

Quote:
It takes a whole lot longer to get moldy in the fridge, however. (Possibly not an issue if your bread has lots of preservatives in it.)

And it doesn't go stale all that fast if it's well wrapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I thought raw wheat was ok, except for possible food safety issues, but raw beans are actively poisonous.

Do I have that backward?
I don't think raw wheat is toxic; but I doubt you can digest it, so eating a lot of it might get you no nutrients and cause extra bathroom visits.

Some varieties of raw dry beans, and apparently raw edamame, can be toxic. Raw green beans are perfectly fine (if not contaminated with something.)
Old 05-31-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
Part of it is the unappetizing nature of using something which most people think of as garbage to wrap food. I'd feel similarly grossed out if it was an unused garbage bag wrapping the food.

I assume that most people would feel grossed out if they had to lick the packaging of their groceries. The carton of eggs might have some spilled yolk, the meat may have some residue on the outside, etc. When those groceries go into the bag, all that gross stuff is now pressed against the plastic of the bag, where likely some of it ends up on the plastic. If you ever use reusable bags at the grocery story, the inside does not stay pristine and clean. It gets stained and gunky from the groceries. I'm pretty sure everyone would find it gross to lick the inside of such a bag. It's unappetizing to have that gunk pressed against food regardless of whether it's going to make me sick or not.
I refuse to reuse any bag that held any potentially leaky product. Ones that had held stuff like DVDs or even canned and boxed food can be reused to carry stuff around in - I'd never use them to wrap food in, though.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
I have a friend who places the empty egg shell back into the egg carton. Yup...cracks the egg into whatever, then nests one half of the shell on the other and places it back in the carton in the recently vacated spot. He says it saves dripping the empty shells across the floor or counter and that the refrigerator dries out the remnant of the white. He says he's done it for at least thirty years. I have to admit that I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with doing it. (I know someone is going to say that it's a salmonella hazard or something, but I don't really see how it is.)
I've read this a few times and still don't understand. Crack the egg into a bowl or whatever and throw into the sink with a garbage disposal, or if no disposal, set on the counter. You are going to wipe the counter anyway after cooking or whatever, so it seems like a waste of time to put back in the carton.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:36 PM

Putting the egg shells back into the carton doesn't seem odd to me. That's the way my parents did it when we were growing up. Don't know why but they did. I don't now because I don't want any shells sticking to a carton I'm going to recycle. They didn't have to worry about that then.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:52 AM

Our eggshells go into a dish by the sink. When the dish is full, the eggshells are crushed and fed to the chickens.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:36 AM

My eggshells go in the compost, and the egg cartons go back to one of the places I usually buy eggs from (individual farms, farmers' market, or a couple of the smaller groceries around here will take them and give them back to the farm.)

I've had to stop people from putting eggshells back into the cartons; it makes them too grubby to return. It would also make them too grubby to recycle. Of course, some people don't have any setup available to them which allows returning or recycling their cartons.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Am I supposed to be bothered about being a "neurotic strange-o"? Because I've long accepted that's what am I am. And sorry, I don't give a rat's patootie what some faceless stranger who goes around eating out of plastic grocery bags thinks about me. Someone who'd do such a thing is likely prone to lots of crazy-ass beliefs.

Here is something you may not have come across before:

Plastic shopping bags laced with dangerous levels of toxic lead
Old 06-01-2019, 10:43 AM
SDSAB

My mom had the shelves in her linen closet painted light blue "because it keeps the sheets, pillowcases etc. cleaner longer."

A friend of mine heads a small political club which could be run very informally, but he has elaborate rules, virtually every member of the club has a title of some kind, when he's heading out of town he formally designates the vice president to be in charge in his absence (and sends out an email to that effect), and, at election time, has a 17-page questionnaire for any candidate seeking the club's endorsement. Nice guy, but takes it all 'wayyyyyy too seriously.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
A plastic bag drawer? Sure, sure.

But you were organizing it?!
Quote:
By "organized", I mean squooshing them all into the drawer so that there's nothing hanging out.
I don't have a drawer big enough to put a decent amount of bags in so instead I go all meta and stow to-be-reused plastic bags in a plastic bag. When it gets full I start a second bag and then that gets about a half-dozen in it (more than I'll ever use in one go) the full one gets taken to the grocery store and stuffed into their recycle bin; the city recycle program here does not accept them for some reason
Quote:
Which worked so well with Challenger
Quote:
Maybe my life is simpler than yours but I have only four major bills a month to pay. Minor ones (Netflix, Patreon) are on auto-pay and the big 'uns (utilities, ISP) I pay online but manually. I have a Notepad file (bills.txt) and when I pay the bill I open it up and update it with that month's number. Come December when it's time to put in the last '12' I wipe them all, leaving just the bills' labels and start over again. No paper and I even recycle the file.
Quote:
"The starch crystalizes" -- whatever the hell that means. I suspect it has something to to with gelatinized gluten or something but haven't been arsed enough to look up bread chemistry.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
It takes a whole lot longer to get moldy in the fridge, however. (Possibly not an issue if your bread has lots of preservatives in it.)

And it doesn't go stale all that fast if it's well wrapped.
I keep my bread in the fridge for this reason. If I leave bread on the counter it will go moldy before I'm done with the loaf. In the fridge I've never had a problem. I might get a few stale slices to the end, but it's better than looking at a sandwich and seeing half a green spot.

Last edited by Patch; 06-04-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Even better is Thousand Island dressing.
Add a bit of horseradish to that to make what is essentially Big Mac sauce
(some people say add ketchup or that TI dressing by itself is BM sauce,
they are not correct- ya need to add horseradish).
Old 06-06-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
We do, but so so the French *and* the Belgians and they are the people who actually invented them, though they rarely get the credit, so arguably the OP is the weird one for omitting it. 🙂

I'm a true Dutchwoman, I think chips (US fries) without mayo are a waste of time and prefer them to be drowning in it, as the film rightly has it.

As for the shopping bags, I don't use them to cover salad, but I do use them to smash up digestive biscuits for a cheesecake base.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Letting grocery bags come in direct contact with naked food is about as unhygienic as eating off a strange table or counter top. The things become contaminated once you put groceries--which have been dropped on the floor and handled by hundreds of hands--in them. People might not get sick by using them like saran wrap, but there's a reason this is not a common practice.

But I do use them to transport my lunch in.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Somebody way upthread mentioned pancake syrup in the refrigerator: I do that too, (although mine is pure maple syrup), because otherwise it will get moldy.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:24 AM

My ex wife used to wash plastic grocery bags and food ziploc bags along with the dishes. Then she would leave them on cloth drying rope in the garden, flapping in the breeze.