Old 06-05-2019, 10:43 AM

Something You Thought Would be Awful But It Turned Out to Be Great

I remember when my theater told us they were switching to assigned seating. We hated it. I liked sitting in a certain section and always made sure I got there early to get the seat(s) I want. Why should someone else waltz in a minute before the movie starts and get t? And now I have to buy online. And what if I decide to see a movie spontaneously? Or switch seats? This is terrible and I hate it!

I'm an idiot. It's wonderful. I get the seats I want because I can buy them in advance and (usually) there is something I like available. Now I don't have to come early and I have the freedom to come just before the movie starts. Buying online is a breeze. I have never had to change seats so it's a non issue and the one time I couldn't make a movie I had bought a ticket for I got a free pass as a refund. I literally wouldn't go to a theater that doesn't do assigned seating now.

What is an example for you?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:32 AM

I was invited by some home-school kids at my church to attend their play ($4 a ticket). I've been to school plays before and I'm not a huge fan. I am not even a big fan of musicals overall.

They were jaw-dropping good. It was long, almost 3 hours, and I heard maybe one or two stuttered lines the whole time. It is obviously not Broadway, but still better than most adult plays I have seen. The singing was great. They also run all the sound and the lights.

We went again this year (Anne of Green Gables) and it was even better than last year.

I was also asked to be a "judge" for a regional home school speech competition. They presented better than 98% of adults I have ever seen (including myself).

I can see how homeschooling can free up a lot of time and allow students to pursue and master a particular interest if they desire.

Last edited by Hermitian; 06-05-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:34 AM

Caller ID seemed like a terrible idea when it was announced. Within weeks of getting it, I realized it was one of the greatest telecommunications innovations of the late 20th century.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:41 AM

Texting. I didn't do it for years after the technology was available to me. I figured, why not just make a quick phone call? Phones aren't for typing!

Hahaha, I laugh about those days now. I rarely ever use my phone for voice calls anymore. Texting (and messaging) are so easy, they can be silent so they don't disrupt anybody, most messages can be easily time shifted for the recipient's convenience. Still, I'm glad I have a full qwerty keyboard on my phone. Those numeric keypad days were rough.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:42 AM

Gin and tonic.

Either one on their own is disgusting to me but it is amazing how they synergize.

I don't like the taste of alcohol so I typically drink "girly" drinks and was relieved I found one that is at least somewhat masculine.

Also, a Rueben for the same reasons. Hate the individual ingredients mostly, LOVE the sandwich.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Sushi - went from "can't imagine eating that" to "Dayum, that's good stuff!"
Apple Pay/Google Pay/Samsung Pay - so much faster than debit/credit card, check or even cash. Also more secure since it requires my phone and fingerprint as well as (my version anyway) uses a unique CC number every transaction.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Ketchup on scrambled eggs. It sounded horrible, but it's actually tasty.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Then the iPad was announced, my reaction was "So it's an iPhone that's too large to carry around and you can't make calls with it? Hahahah..."

While I don't have an iPad, I use the Android tablet that the iPad helped popularize* on a nightly basis and have for years.

*I know Apple didn't invent the tablet but they were instrumental in making it a household consumer device
Old 06-05-2019, 01:03 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Pineapple on pizza. Rejected it for years, but then actually tried it, and YUM!

Kindles. I am a bibliophile, with a huuuuuuuge library. But the ease of travelling with a Kindle is just too great a draw, and 99% of new book purchases are electronic. Still, if the book is heavy with maps, pics, illustrations, art, etc. then there is no substitute for a hard copy.

Bidets. Why would I want to sit on a water fountain? Well, once they made a bidet seat for a regular toilet, I learned why. And now I'm a proud owner of one.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 06-05-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Avenue Q. A show that began in a summer workshop and somehow got to off-Broadway. And it has puppets? I only went because a friend who had seen the show bought me a ticket.

Well, that show transferred to Broadway, beat out Wicked for the Best Musical Tony, and has been performed all over the world. The puppeteers are on stage, yet the human actors play totally off the puppets. And the puppeteers move their mouths exactly like the puppets.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:35 PM

I'll second testing & Kindles.

I thought texting was ridiculous, although back then you had to tap "5" 3 times to type an "L". So that was one of the things that kept me from it. Now I don't know how I'd live without it.

I LOVE books - everything about them from the feel to the smell. Why would you ever want a Kindle? But I've owned one for about 5 years and rarely read an actual book. It's so convenient.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
Ketchup on scrambled eggs. It sounded horrible, but it's actually tasty.
Agreed.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:49 PM

Agree on all the ones mentioned so far, both on my initial "whyever would one want that" and eventual embrace and never looking back, except for

- Assigned seating in movie theaters: I always wished that were available, who the heck wants to stand in line to see a movie TWICE, first to buy the ticket (the line for the ticket counter) and then to jockey for first pick of physical seating (the ticket holders' line)? Now I do neither and it's so sweet: I simply select tickets, and their seating location, on my phone, then go a few minutes before show time.

- Ketchup on scrambled eggs. Sorry, ketchup is the blood of Satan. To each his own, but I will politely decline. Salsa on eggs, sure, like with huevos racheros, but ketchup is not a substitute for salsa.

I remember the first time I had falafel in a pita with salad and tahini sauce, I hated it so much I threw it out after eating about 1/4 of it, something I rarely ever do. It was completely unlike anything I'd ever had before, the mouthfeel of the "fried ground chickpeas" was far mealier and harder than I had imagined it would be, and it probably doesn't help that I got it from a street cart vendor who had taken the spot of a hot dog cart I'd long frequented after school, and I had gone there originally been hankering for a hot sausage with mustard, sauerkraut, and onions.

I have since learned to love the stuff.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Caller ID seemed like a terrible idea when it was announced. Within weeks of getting it, I realized it was one of the greatest telecommunications innovations of the late 20th century.
(checks date on thread. Nope not a zombie)

Caller ID WAS great when it was new, but it is useless now. With spoofing, you can't tell who is calling anymore. You can't even trust known numbers, as I have gotten spam calls from "myself" several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I get the seats I want because I can buy them in advance and (usually) there is something I like available. Now I don't have to come early and I have the freedom to come just before the movie starts. Buying online is a breeze..... I literally wouldn't go to a theater that doesn't do assigned seating now.
Your town has to be different than here. Reserved seats here cost more, plus on-line ordering adds another surcharge. Movie tickets are already too high priced, why should I add 2-4 bucks more per ticket for minimal benefit? I haven't been in a full theater in years, if not a decade. There's always someplace good to sit.

But I must admit, those recliner chairs are pretty comfy!

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 06-05-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
(checks date on thread. Nope not a zombie)

Caller ID WAS great when it was new, but it is useless now. With spoofing, you can't tell who is calling anymore. You can't even trust known numbers, as I have gotten spam calls from "myself" several times.

Your town has to be different than here. Reserved seats here cost more, plus on-line ordering adds another surcharge. Movie tickets are already too high priced, why should I add 2-4 bucks more per ticket for minimal benefit? I haven't been in a full theater in years, if not a decade. There's always someplace good to sit.

But I must admit, those recliner chairs are pretty comfy!
My theater has an app where you reserve your seats, where you can pay an extra $10 a month or so to be in their "club", and you get a free accumulating ticket per month, free online ordering, and 20% off concessions. It's a pretty good deal if you go to the movies frequently. I don't think the theater even does regular seating anymore.

I freaking LOVE assigned seating. I'm picky where I sit, and you don't have to stand in those stupid lines anymore! I remember on some of the big releases the line would wrap around the whole damn theater. No more anxiety about being sold out or crappy seats or having to show up an hour early. Theaters are way better now. They have to be, because home viewing is a whole lot better now too.

Last edited by Ashtura; 06-05-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Las Vegas sounded unappealing till I was convinced to join some coworkers on a weekend trip. Love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Pineapple on pizza. Rejected it for years, but then actually tried it, and YUM!
Pineapple pairs really well with cured pork on pizza. Try one with pepperoni and jalapeno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
I thought texting was ridiculous, although back then you had to tap "5" 3 times to type an "L". So that was one of the things that kept me from it. Now I don't know how I'd live without it.
I sort of miss the numeric keypad alpha entry. It kept the messages shorter and less frequent. But I especially miss being able to write and send a message without looking at the phone.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:52 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Rear view (back-up) cameras in cars. I thought "what a waste of technology" till I actually drove a car with one. I have to admit that being able to tell exactly where the bumper of my car is in relation to other objects is pretty useful.
I usually drive a Tacoma (with a camera) but this applies to both cars and trucks.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:14 PM

Cell phone cameras. When they first were introduced in the mid-2000s I thought "what a silly idea". I was still in the old fashioned mindset that cameras were only for taking pictures of things you wanted to stick in a scrapbook so you could remember them forever -- vacations, graduations, weddings, and those sorts of things. But I now use my phone's camera all the time for all kinds of things. I can snap a picture of some random interesting thing I want help identifying. Or I can take a picture of an informational sign at a trail head an reference it later. I'll take a picture of the row I parked in at the airport so I can remember it when I return. It's incredibly handy to have a device with a camera in it with me all the time.

Also, a couple of TV shows: Scrubs and The Orville. From how their networks promoted them I thought both of those shows were going to be stupid and not something I'd like. But I ended up enjoying both of them.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:23 PM

I hate assigned theater seating with the hatred of a thousand suns. I prefer to be able to sit centered in a row and at a level in the theater I prefer. The seat selection screens are never accurate about how the seats are positioned relative to the screen. Oh, sure, they're sort of accurate, relative to the other seats and such, but it's always an annoying guessing game.

Back when seating selection didn't suck, you would just go a little earlier, get your seat, and then kick back in it and relax and enjoy the downtime for a while. Nowadays you can pull in forty minutes early and find that somebody else has prebought all the (possibly) decent seats anyway, presumably from home. Why don't I do the same, since seat position is the same sort of lottery whether you're picking online or on the little screens at the box office? Because if you want to prebuy your tickets online they cost more! The screw you coming, they screw you going, and the only infintessimal benefit is that you don't have to leave somebody to guard your seats when you go to the bathroom.

I swear, once my dad dies and stops wanting to go to the theater with me, I'm never going to the theater again.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:46 PM

I love pre-purchased theater seating. A couple bucks is well worth it to not have to hustle my wife out early, have someone watching my kid for an extra hour and spend 45min unscrambling actor's name MOT HANKS five times in between Coke commercials from our prime seats.

Last edited by Jophiel; 06-05-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:55 PM

Peter Jackson's The Fellowship of the Ring. I refused to see it at the movie theater. My husband bought the DVD and got me to watch it. One of my favorite movies ever, and of course I loved the other two as well.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
I hate assigned theater seating with the hatred of a thousand suns. I prefer to be able to sit centered in a row and at a level in the theater I prefer. The seat selection screens are never accurate about how the seats are positioned relative to the screen. Oh, sure, they're sort of accurate, relative to the other seats and such, but it's always an annoying guessing game.

Back when seating selection didn't suck, you would just go a little earlier, get your seat, and then kick back in it and relax and enjoy the downtime for a while. Nowadays you can pull in forty minutes early and find that somebody else has prebought all the (possibly) decent seats anyway, presumably from home. Why don't I do the same, since seat position is the same sort of lottery whether you're picking online or on the little screens at the box office? Because if you want to prebuy your tickets online they cost more! The screw you coming, they screw you going, and the only infintessimal benefit is that you don't have to leave somebody to guard your seats when you go to the bathroom.

I swear, once my dad dies and stops wanting to go to the theater with me, I'm never going to the theater again.
Getting to pick your seats ahead of time is the greatest thing since ketchup on scrambled eggs.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I remember thinking "texting" was a really dumb idea.

Now I get annoyed when people call me when they could have texted instead. lol
Old 06-05-2019, 07:42 PM

A few years back, everyone in my workplace (except for me) got two computer monitors. I could have gotten an extra one too, but for some reason the IT people didn't give me one. Since dealing with the IT people is a pain in the neck, I decided I was fine with my single monitor.

My coworkers would not stop singing the praises of having two monitors, and they were driving me nuts. Because I was sick of hearing about it, I convinced myself that using two monitors was just a stupid waste of money and energy, and that I'd just be confused all the time if I added another one. I also convinced myself that my desk was too small for another one and I wouldn't have any room for my papers.

Well, eventually I managed to secure another monitor and I set it up. OMG. I wanted to invent a time machine so I could punch my past self in the face for being so stubborn. Two monitors makes life so much easier that I can't even imagine how I managed to be productive with just one.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:47 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Sushi, as was mentioned earlier. I didn't try it until my mid 20s. But I didn't have 'good' sushi until my 30s. That stuff is amazing.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Sushi, as was mentioned earlier. I didn't try it until my mid 20s. But I didn't have 'good' sushi until my 30s. That stuff is amazing.
I never had the idea that it was probably awful, but I'm glad that I didn't find out that I like sushi back when I was too broke to afford it. Mmmmm.

When I think of liking/affording, I always think of my dad. He refused to every try real maple syrup because if he tried it, he might like it, and it was expensive. If he never tried it, he'd never miss it and never have the urge to spend extra.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Getting to pick your seats ahead of time is the greatest thing since ketchup on scrambled eggs.
But I don't have to pay extra for ketchup.

Query: are you all going to the first night of a release? Because even though I live in the fifth most populous city in America, I never see a crowd. And I always sit in the middle. But i never go on Friday. Just asking questions curious.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:00 PM

Streaming subscriptions. When they were first introduced, it seemed like a rip off. I wouldn't own the DVD/mp4/CD, and when I cancel the subscription I'm left with nothing? I'm subscribed to four services, and I don't have a bunch of discs collecting dust that I'll probably never use again, and it's a piece of cake to pull up a song or a show on any of my devices at any time without having to worry about hard drive space or hooking up equipment.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:04 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
I never had the idea that it was probably awful, but I'm glad that I didn't find out that I like sushi back when I was too broke to afford it. Mmmmm.

When I think of liking/affording, I always think of my dad. He refused to every try real maple syrup because if he tried it, he might like it, and it was expensive. If he never tried it, he'd never miss it and never have the urge to spend extra.
Where I live there are multiple all you can eat sushi places that are about $20 a person.

So not something a broke college student could afford, but not much more than a regular restaurant meal.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Gas grills and Kindle (E) Readers. Total charcoal snob for no actual reason. My Charbroil Patio Bistro ripped me out of that necessity. As for abandoning real books, I tend to read very thick, heavy, 600+ page tomes. Fuck it, I said.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
But I don't have to pay extra for ketchup.

Query: are you all going to the first night of a release? Because even though I live in the fifth most populous city in America, I never see a crowd. And I always sit in the middle. But i never go on Friday. Just asking questions curious.
When we saw Endgame there were four people in the audience. Including my wife and me. But I only go to the theater with reclining seats. In the afternoon. For senior tickets. Maybe in the fifth largest city price is an object, but not where I live.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:40 PM

I'm just waiting for the stream of people who finally decided to try salt on their watermelon.

The only thing better than reserved seats for a movie is reserved seats, good food, and craft beer delivered to your seat.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:24 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

The movie The Emperor's New Groove. When I first saw the synopsis, I thought it would be the stupidest thing ever and would go down in flames.

Not only was I wrong, but now it's one of my favorite movies.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:42 PM

Add me to the list for sushi. A rare occasion where I succumbed to peer pressure. I'm glad I did.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:16 AM

Jogging.
Always been one of those things where I couldn't see the point. It took a day of extreme boredom for me to finally decide to try it.
But since then I have run around 30km a week, every week, for the last 10 years.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post

Well, eventually I managed to secure another monitor and I set it up. OMG. I wanted to invent a time machine so I could punch my past self in the face for being so stubborn. Two monitors makes life so much easier that I can't even imagine how I managed to be productive with just one.
Similar situation, and agreed.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:25 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by Ashtura; 06-06-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:16 AM

Spam. I used to scoff at the notion of eating it, because it sounds so unappetizing and low end.

But it’s damn good when you fry it up and put it in a sandwich.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:43 AM

I always loved the idea of going to all different sites in Europe, but I never thought Spain was worth seeing. Until I watched a TV show on the country, and started planning my trip. It turned out to be WONDERFUL!!!
Old 06-06-2019, 08:06 AM

I can't say that I thought is would actually be awful, but I knew very little about Poland and Polish culture other than some general history, and I hadn't ever given it too much thought, and even though I had spent considerable time in a few countries that border it over the years, Poland hadn't ever really been much of a draw for me, but on a whim, I decided to go to Krakow for a week, just to sightsee (specifically pay my respects at Auschwitz) and to check out someplace new (to me).

That was nearly 4 years ago, and every day when I wake up in my stunningly beautiful, safe, friendly, welcoming, historic and affordable new home of Krakow, I Thank God for my incredible good fortune.

I have never been happier in my entire life...
Old 06-06-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
I can't say that I thought is would actually be awful, but I knew very little about Poland and Polish culture other than some general history, and I hadn't ever given it too much thought, and even though I had spent considerable time in a few countries that border it over the years, Poland hadn't ever really been much of a draw for me, but on a whim, I decided to go to Krakow for a week, just to sightsee (specifically pay my respects at Auschwitz) and to check out someplace new (to me).

That was nearly 4 years ago, and every day when I wake up in my stunningly beautiful, safe, friendly, welcoming, historic and affordable new home of Krakow, I Thank God for my incredible good fortune.

I should add that I was certainly more than a little apprehensive of leaving the USA (where I was born & raised) to strike out for Parts Unknown and hit the "Reset" button on my life, (I literally bought a one way flight) without a single friend or relative, or any actual, concrete plan for starting my new life here in Eastern Europe, but I can assure you that each and every day when I get up and read the news from America, I am incredibly, overwhelmingly grateful to be an entire world away from the social and political nightmare that sadly has become 2019's America.

Last edited by Royal Nonesutch; 06-06-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
I'm just waiting for the stream of people who finally decided to try salt on their watermelon.

The only thing better than reserved seats for a movie is reserved seats, good food, and craft beer delivered to your seat.
Not salt, but watermelon and feta cheese rocks! I only tried it by accident ( really, who puts brightly colored spotlights over a buffet table ) because I thought it was tomato and mozzarella. But I’m glad I did.

And I can second texting, Kindles, and pineapple pizza.

One of my own, cruises. I took my first cruise because some old friends of mine were doing one as a reunion event. I thought I would hate it, I thought it would be boring, crowded and generally obnoxious. And I ended up loving it and I’ve been vacationing on cruise ships ever since.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 06-06-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I should add that I was certainly more than a little apprehensive of leaving the USA (where I was born & raised) to strike out for Parts Unknown and hit the "Reset" button on my life, (I literally bought a one way flight) without a single friend or relative, or any actual, concrete plan for starting my new life here in Eastern Europe, but I can assure you that each and every day when I get up and read the news from America, I am incredibly, overwhelmingly grateful to be an entire world away from the social and political nightmare that sadly has become 2019's America.
Okay. Gotta admit.... That's inspirational. Do you work or are you retired? Language not an issue?
Old 06-06-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
The movie The Emperor's New Groove. When I first saw the synopsis, I thought it would be the stupidest thing ever and would go down in flames.

I could have posted this.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post

Since this isn't CS, I stayed off movies, etc before but my example here would be the recent Into the Spider-Verse movie. In a world of increasingly realistic special effects and giant budget, well-written live action superhero movies, the idea of cartoon Spider-Man (and with a pig, no less!) sounded stupid. At best niche for die-hard comic fans. Instead, it was a great movie and an excellent superhero flick and one of the top movies I've seen in the past year, well deserving of its Oscar for Best Animated Picture.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:03 AM

Martinis.

Well it was awful at first, my father insisted I have one with him when I turned 18, the legal age at the time.

I've come to like them, but indulge only a few times a year.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:07 AM

Cell phone cameras is a good one. I actually started a thread on here many many years ago about how that seemed stupid and random. Not one of my finest hours
Old 06-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Nevermind.
Me Too! I resisted at first, but after trying it decided to spring for Nevermind Prime.

[Sorry, couldn't resist]
Old 06-06-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Cell phone cameras is a good one. I actually started a thread on here many many years ago about how that seemed stupid and random. Not one of my finest hours
That's actually a more nuanced thing than it sounds.

On one hand, the best camera is the one you have with you (in the sense of it's better to have any camera than none at all).

On the other, you have the fact that until very recently, camera phones were distinctly inferior to good quality P&S or DSLR cameras in terms of metering, low light capability, etc... I mean, my Galaxy S5 had a decent camera, but my Canon T2i and S100 still handily took better pictures in almost every circumstance.

But my Galaxy S9 pretty much equals or exceeds the S100 in most every way, and is comparable to the T2i as far as metering and autofocus are concerned, with the main difference being in the versatility of the DSLR format- I can swap lenses and more easily adjust settings myself on the DSLR. But for most photos, I just use the phone and it's great. Plus, I can text them to relatives right away and it automatically scales them for texting, etc...
Old 06-06-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
. . Well, eventually I managed to secure another monitor and I set it up. OMG. I wanted to invent a time machine so I could punch my past self in the face for being so stubborn. Two monitors makes life so much easier that I can't even imagine how I managed to be productive with just one.
Reminds me of a Terry Pratchett interview. He led the interviewer into his writing room (nook?) and gestured to the six huge monitors on the wall. He said (paraphrased) I know what you're going to ask and of course the reason that I have six monitors is that eight wouldn't fit on the wall.