View Poll Results: Have you ever driven drunk before?
Yes 110 62.50%
No 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Have you ever driven drunk before?

What were the details in your situation?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:40 PM

I rarely drink and until my husband quit, I was always the designated driver. It's never been an issue for me.

But......I think back to high school days when we'd all meet at the beach or in the woods to party. There would always be a keg and we'd always get some TJ Swan "wine". Back then I'd drink a little bit but was too afraid my parents would find out. I got in cars with drunk drivers many a time. How stupid. Thank God nothing ever happened.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:42 PM

Sober 15 years.
Before that, many many times.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:43 PM

I very, very rarely drink ( I think the last drink I had was at least 15 years ago), and have never had more than one drink. So... no.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:53 PM

Sometimes: drinking, ran out of beer, went & got more beer.
Sometimes: gathering ran late, had to work tomorrow, got myself home.
Never had any problems. Last time was maybe 15+ years ago. My big drinking days are behind me.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:56 PM

Never. I will not take one sip unless I have a designated driver (usually wife).
Old 06-05-2019, 01:56 PM

Oh yeah, all the time back in college, and across varying distances.

Most of the time was going less than a mile from the bars on campus to my apartment. I walked whenever I could (and biked too) but I wasn't about to do that in the depths of an Indiana winter. The furthest I ever did was probably from the bars to my apartment after college....that was a 20 min drive or so. I never drank so much that I woke up the next morning and wondered how I got there, but I shouldn't have been driving. I mostly chalk it up to arrogance. I was (am?) a very good driver while drunk and never really lost my wits about me.

Haven't done it in years mostly because I never drink anymore. The rare times I do it's never in excess, and the ultra-rare times its in excess has been when I've had a ride or could walk.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:57 PM

Yes. I was young and stupid. And lucky nothing bad happened.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:57 PM

Nope. Never. Oh wait, maybe.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:03 PM

Oh yeah, Uber. More prompt than a taxi, and cheaper. Now if you go out and someone starts ordering shots, you can say "what the hell?" and cut loose knowing you will get a ride home within minutes of calling it a night, and they've already got the payment info so you don't need money at the time. Taxi was an expensive PITA back in the day. Now I think about it, I have had occasion to rely on Uberman in the not to distant past.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 06-05-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM

Drove drunk once in college. Received a car just before my junior year, so that fall was the first time I had to deal with car ownership and alcohol exposure at the same time. Attended a party on the first weekend back at school, drove back to the dorm afterwards. I found that I could manage my speed, or my direction of travel, but not both simultaneously. Freaked me out as it was happening, but I managed to get back to the dorm - thankfully a short drive, perhaps a mile or two. Made sure that never happened again.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:22 PM

haha nice try copper
Old 06-05-2019, 02:42 PM

It is hard to know. I once drove in the middle of the night 60 miles from Atlantic City to Philly after having had more than one beer. I felt light-headed, but I have no idea if I was truly drunk. That was at least 60 years ago.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:43 PM

File me under "I was young and stupid."
Old 06-05-2019, 02:59 PM

I don't think so. Unless I had a couple drinks some time and unknowingly got into the car too soon without realizing I was technically impaired.

No real morality tale -- most of my heavier drinking days were in college and I didn't have a car. By the time I had a car, I wasn't drinking very often. These days I'm a cheap drunk so, if I'm driving, I'll start the evening with a drink and then switch to something else to give me time to clear up.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:14 PM

So many people did. My friend's parents would make a cocktail every evening and go out for a drive, cocktails in hand. They never had any trouble that I knew of.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I don't think so. Unless I had a couple drinks some time and unknowingly got into the car too soon without realizing I was technically impaired.
Aye, there's the rub.

I didn't know which answer to pick for the poll... So I guess the strict answer would be "yes". But not thoughtlessly, rather a case of having been educated on alcohol and driving 30+ years ago, I think the current recommendations are more strict.

I have never "knowingly" driven drunk. I don't even think I've ever been legally DWI (though I cannot rule it out). However, I have operated motor vehicles several hours after last having a drink, adhering (or trying to adhere) to a 1 drink to 1 hour ratio rule, having been taught in Driver's Ed a rule of thumb that it takes one hour to metabolize one drink, where one "drink" was a 12 oz. beer, one glass of wine, or one shot of liquor.

On several occasions, on the order of between 5 and 10 times, I have driven 3-4 miles (10-15 minutes) home from a 3+ hour baseball game that we'd gotten to 90 minutes before the game began, where I'd had 2 beers, with my last beer having been 90 minutes to 2 hours ago. OK, as a matter of fact they were large (24 oz.) cans of beer, but on the other hand, they were cans of Bud Light and not "full strength" beer, and I didn't even finish the second one, so... Was I good to go?

And on the last of those occasions, after a few minutes of driving, in being honest with myself, I thought "no, I can feel the effect on my driving." Because maybe it had only been 75 minutes since I'd finished the last one. But, I didn't pull over on the highway shoulder to switch places with my wife, that seemed nuts, especially since I was so close to home already. I just got home and resolved to be more conservative in the future.

That probably wasn't good, but was it "driving drunk?" I don't know what my BAC was. I may or may not have been legally DWI.

Similarly, one time I rode my motorcycle home after a dinner outing for work. I had had two caipirinhas (Brazilian sugar cane and rum cocktails), one before the food began being served, the other as the food began to be served - and I finished the second one at least 90 minutes before the meal ended, had also eaten a lot of food, and had had some coffee (caffeinated) with dessert as well. I didn't feel at all drunk any more.

But on my ride home, on local city streets (not on a highway), I found myself thinking the steering column felt slightly wobbly. "Weird. Maybe someone knocked my bike over while it was parked, and now the steering column is out of whack. I'll check it out in the daylight." And the next day, the steering was fine.

Logically, it was a "you didn't feel drunk, but you were impaired" level of alcohol at work. Kind of chilling to realize. And again, my takeaway was "don't try to cut it close in the future". Now if I am on a motorcycle, my rule is absolute abstention.

Last edited by robardin; 06-05-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I would not have said that I was when I got in the car: I'd gotten to the restaurant before my friend and had a couple of beers. Then I ate some dinner once she got there, and drank water while eating. While we were there about an hour, the combination of tired + the beer made me feel like I was driving drunk on the fairly short drive home. I don't know if I would have passed a breath test or not. I might have but I probably wasn't completely safe to drive either.

I don't drink anything alcoholic often, then or now, so I don't have much tolerance at all.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:19 PM

No. I don't drink anymore and the last time I was ever even tipsy was over 30 years ago in college and I was not a driver then.
I have ridden in a car with someone who has back in college. It really was the wild west for a while and I remember friends of my parents drinking and driving home drunk. These were the days before MADD and seat belts.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:47 PM

as a student a couple of miles
Old 06-05-2019, 05:31 PM

Nope. But then I've never been drunk before, due to never having drunk before.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Yep, young and stupid. A Sheriff who knew my Dad pulled me over, gave me a lecture, followed me home , and told me if any of them ever caught me again, they'd throw the book at me. I was buzzed, not plastered, and driving slow.

I never even had a beer and drove after that. I learned my lesson.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
This right here, exactly.

But it's been decades.

mmm
Old 06-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

We were so casual about drinking and driving I remember the phrase "Driving by braille" being brandied about.

It only took one DUI to set my mind straight. Spent 10k on what could have been avoided by a $20 taxi ride.

And that's back when the legal limit was 0.10 BAC limit.

Last edited by Grrr!; 06-05-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Me too. Old enough to know bette, but did it anyway. At least two times way too drunk. Iím grateful I never hurt anyone.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:41 AM

No, Thank Og. But I suspect that I owe this fact as much to the vigilance of my friends as to my own convictions. I was a freshman in high school the year Kevin Tunell was a senior. Susan Herzog went to my best friend's school. We were steeped in the horrors of drunk driving during a time when "MAD" was new, wounds were fresh, and the newspapers were all over the story every chance they got.

Nobody in my friend group ever drove drunk. No party was without its key minder. I sincerely doubt that any of us have ever let a friend get in the car when they shouldn't have.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:33 AM
born to be shunned

College, stupidity, and justifying it by telling myself that since I was on a motorcycle I wasn't as dangerous as if I was in a car. In cars I always had a friend driving; sometimes drunker than me.

How I survived a couple of those years I will never know.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

In the long, long past, I've driven with a probable BAC that exceeded a stupid arbitrary limit, but I don't recall actually driving drunk. Thank goodness for being blackout drunk.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Back when I started driving, in the 70s, everyone that drank, and that was nearly everyone I knew, regularly drove drunk or at least under the influence of alcohol.

There was no such thing as the designated driver and a typical Friday or Saturday involved many carloads of us going to the pub, drinking all night, buying more grog to take to a party, drinking all that grog at the party and then driving home. Every car would have been piloted by someone well over the limit.

It was so common that I think many drinkers did it. When random breath testing was introduced there was such a furore that NSW clubs banned local members of parliament from coming to the clubs because of it.

Once RBT came in with the overwhelming education/advertising program it was impossible to ignore the stupidity of drinking and driving.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Me, too. Once. I was young and stupid and didn't realize how impaired I was. It scared me, and I haven't done it since.

Now I'm married to a teetotaler, so if there's any question, he drives home.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Back when I started driving, in the 70s, everyone that drank, and that was nearly everyone I knew, regularly drove drunk or at least under the influence of alcohol.

There was no such thing as the designated driver and a typical Friday or Saturday involved many carloads of us going to the pub, drinking all night, buying more grog to take to a party, drinking all that grog at the party and then driving home. Every car would have been piloted by someone well over the limit.

It was so common that I think many drinkers did it. ...
My experience was the same. In college, whoever had the car drove. No question of anyone being sober (or more sober). On into young adulthood. Folk would meet at someone's house for a party. Everyone would drive to the party, drink heavily, and drive home - often with a beer or 2 (road pops) for the ride home.

But I realize I was experiencing the drunkard's fallacy. Just because everyone I KNEW did it,didn't mean EVERYONE did it. Because the subset of people I knew and hung with were all heavy drinkers.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:50 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Many times. The last time was before 1984, however. Never got stopped.

I was often the 'designated driver' back in the bad old days because back then I could 'hold my liquor'. I appeared to be more sober than my peers, even though I'd had more to drink, so I was given the keys.

<<shudder>>

I ain't what I ought to be, I ain't what I want to be, I ain't what I'm gonna be, but I'm very thankful I ain't what I used to be.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
We were so casual about drinking and driving I remember the phrase "Driving by braille" being brandied about.

It only took one DUI to set my mind straight. Spent 10k on what could have been avoided by a $20 taxi ride.

And that's back when the legal limit was 0.10 BAC limit.
This almost exactly mirrors my situation. Right or wrong, it was a different day with different mores. I'm glad things have changed but "everyone was doing it" , lame as it sounds, is exactly how it was.

Uber and the like are a godsend. Well, not that much for me because I'm Billy no mates so I rarely go out But if this had been around when I was in my twenties, it would have spared me a lot of money and time and scorn and who knows what.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:07 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I said yes, but it's more of a maybe. San Diego, circa 1975, I'd gone out with some friends. One of the guys kept buying us Golden Cadillacs (I think??) so I may have had 2 or 3, and I was definitely feeling a bit woozy. I remember being hyper-aware as I drove home, windows wide open for fresh air and energetic music on the radio. Luckily, it was late and not a lot of traffic up the strand from Imperial Beach to Coronado, and I got home without incident.

In recent years, I hardly drink at all, and pretty much never when I go out, so it's not an issue. Alcohol makes me sleepy. If I do drink, it's at home to help me sleep.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:53 AM

Countless times. No DUIs or wrecks. Crosses himself.

Haven't in many, many years.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Have I ever driven? Nope
Have I ever been drunk. Yep. But not for over 30 years.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:31 AM

50 years ago, once, when I was young and stupid.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:51 AM

I voted no. I've driven the morning after a late night drinking and been unsure of whether I was under the legal limit in Norway which is 0.2, but I've never driven when I couldn't reasonably assume zero impairment from alcohol. Which is different from "feeling impaired", your reaction times are reduced by alcohol even if you aren't feeling a buzz.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Countless times. No DUIs or wrecks. Crosses himself.

Haven't in many, many years.
Same here, from high school onward. I can't believe now how foolish and reckless I was over the course of some 30 years. I'm just glad nobody was hurt or killed.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Stone-cold hammered? No. Buzzed? Yes, a couple of times. I mistake I shan't repeat (nothing happened, but still, WTF was I thinking?).
Old 06-06-2019, 12:00 PM

Yes, in a controlled experiment.*
I did not feel drunk. (That was the controlled-experiment part.)
But, I also did not drive badly. We were tested. I still drove better "drunk" than most of the others in the experiment did sober. We were judged on whether we veered out of lanes, whether we hit any pedestrians (cones & cardbooard things rolled out into our way), and one panic stop (cardboard pedestrian).
The only thing that changed when I was "drunk"--and drunk is putting it very extremely--was that my time increased.
But, we also knew we were being tested, which may have inspired us to work a little harder at driving better. And slow down.
Honestly, when I first got a cell phone and tried to drive while talking on it, I thought that was a much bigger challenge, but then I learned how to do it. After all, my husband was a cab driver, he handled a cab, talked on the radio, and talked to a passenger, writing up his trip sheet as he went, and he learned all that just fine. But that first time, sheesh.
*Maybe one or two other times in the distant past.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:22 PM

Yes, when I lived in rural Ireland. I believe things are different now, but it was quite widespread at the time.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:25 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Nope. Whenever I'd do a day long bender I always made sure I didn't have to drive anywhere that day, or that my driving was done before I started.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:27 PM

I'm surprised at the amount of "no's" in this thread TBH.

Knowing that the board skews older I figured there would be more "Yes, in my youth before we knew better" than there are. Figured the focus on drinking and driving is a newer thing.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:28 PM

Yes, of course.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Twice, once after a friend's bachelor party and once on my last day of work when my cow-orkers congratulated me on my escape. I think the alkies on the board would call it really, really, buzzed, but I'm such a lightweight, it felt like drunk to me.

The second time I carefully drove around the corner out of sight and stopped in a parking lot for an hour before continuing on.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My stepfather was a drunk driver who thought it was funny to shut the headlights off at night while he was swerving down the road. As a result, if I have any amount of alcohol I refuse to drive.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I'm surprised at the amount of "no's" in this thread TBH.

Knowing that the board skews older I figured there would be more "Yes, in my youth before we knew better" than there are. Figured the focus on drinking and driving is a newer thing.
It would be interesting to see the ages. Still, even back in the old pre-MADD days not everyone was as stupid as we were. And some didn't have cars.

Last edited by TriPolar; 06-06-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:46 PM

Yep. In college in the 1970s I did it routinely.

But in the last 35 years or so? Definitely not.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:05 PM

Numerous times, back in college, usually over the summer. During the school year one could get as much to drink as you could without leaving campus - Thursday pub nights, Friday afternoon cocktails (which the university president and a lot of faculty would frequently attend), Friday and Saturday night parties.

Over the summer, though, we would need to drive into the city to find bars that would serve our underage asses. Many times I'd wake up on Sunday morning and rush to the front window to make sure I had parked the car straight. I always parked on the street next to a telephone pole, I have no idea how I never hit that pole.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 06-06-2019 at 03:05 PM.