View Poll Results: Have you ever driven drunk before?
Yes 110 62.50%
No 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I am pretty sure I have not. I have looked up some of those BAC charts where they estimate your BAC based on number of drinks per hour and your body weight. I've had five drinks in an hour, and I wasn't buzzed - I was hammered. And that's barely to the .08 level.

My folks let us drink when we were younger, so it was never forbidden fruit, and we learned to pace ourselves. Plus I figured out pretty quick that drinking can be fun, but getting drunk per se isn't.

The good side of that is that you don't get arrested or into fights or into trouble. The bad side is that, at high school parties, I was always the one driving people home, cleaning up the barf, hiding the knives, etc.

Attitudes have changed, for sure. My son and daughter take "who's going to be the designated driver?" pretty much for granted.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 06-06-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
It would be interesting to see the ages. Still, even back in the old pre-MADD days not everyone was as stupid as we were. And some didn't have cars.
It would also be interesting to see how long ago was the last time you did it. For me, I was too old for the "young and stupid" defense.I was probably in my Mid-30s (late 1990s)
Old 06-06-2019, 03:59 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

For people who were around when drunk driving was acceptable, what is a modern thing we all do that you think will be looked at just as badly in the future?

Like is using your phone while driving considered just as bad as drunk driving but everyone does it? Supposedly using your phone while driving is just as dangerous as drunk driving, but I've done it and so have most people I know.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 06-06-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookahMacPhellimey View Post
Yes, when I lived in rural Ireland. I believe things are different now, but it was quite widespread at the time.
In 1990, I took a motorcycle trip all around Ireland (Republic and Northern Ireland). It was a lovely, if somewhat damp, couple of weeks.

I was riding a motorcyle that attracted quite a bit of attention -- Harley-Davidsons were then pretty uncommon, apparently, in Ireland.

One day a local club saw me, waved me over, and invited me to join them at a pub a couple of miles up the road. They all wanted to check out my bike.

I joined them, and I had a pint with them. And no more -- I know my limits.

Them? Holy shit, well, I would (and probably could) never ride after four pints in quick succession.

Still, nice guys, and I had a great time hanging with them.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

I haven't had alcohol since my first communion, so that's an easy "no".
Old 06-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I'm surprised at the amount of "no's" in this thread TBH.
The stats on teetotalers are often surprising: Almost a third of (adult) Americans and about half the adult population of the world do not drink at all, for various reasons. About 80% of those are apparently folks who never did, the rest are folks (well represented in this thread) who did and have given it up.

Even post high-school and college (the peak of the "drinking years,"), the folks who aren't partying usually outnumber those who are, but they're invisible and we don't tend to notice them.

Those populations seem to be enough to fill in the poll numbers.

For myself, I've never been drunk or "buzzed." I do drink (about once a year), usually something very very flavored because I find the taste of alcohol itself disgusting, and I often don't finish it. Not religious or cultural in my case, I just never developed a taste for the stuff.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:03 PM

I guess I'm an outlier here. I drink regularly but I've never driven drunk.

Maybe it helped that when I was young and stupid I didn't have a car.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:45 PM

Before what?
Old 06-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Before noon.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca

Last edited by Typo Negative; 06-06-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:49 PM

I like beer. I used to drink and drive on a somewhat regular basis. And then I got arrested for DUI in 2005. (Pleaded to a reduced charge.) It was actually a good thing; because since then, I have never once driven after drinking.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I voted no. I've driven the morning after a late night drinking and been unsure of whether I was under the legal limit in Norway which is 0.2,
Ummm, do you mean .02?
Old 06-06-2019, 08:24 PM

In college back in the 80s, we weren't particularly careful about it. I had grown up Mormon, so no drinking, then when I started I went overboard. I was in a group that went to the clubs on Friday or Saturday nights and we would all drive home. One time I had to keep my elbow on the armrest to keep it steady. Looking back, it was insane.

In Japan, taxis and trains were more convenient.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:34 PM

I grew up in a state that had a 21 y.o. drinking age, Indiana. Ohio and Michigan (bordering states) had 18 y.o drinking age (1970s). Could be in either state in 25-30 minutes. Knew quite a few people that got hurt and a few that died driving back from Charlie's in Hicksville OH or The Matteson House in Bronson MI. Didn't slow us down at all. Lucky to have lived through it without causing harm to anyone else.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Never.
I don't touch the stuff.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjankis630 View Post
Ummm, do you mean .02?
Different figures in Europe, although I'd expect 0.5, not 0.2.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Different figures in Europe, although I'd expect 0.5, not 0.2.
I left off the units and forgot that Norway's a bit of an oddball for insisting on measuring BAC in "promille" instead of percent. It's 0.02, or more precisely:

Quote:
No one may drive a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicating or sedating substance.

If he has a higher BAC than 0.02 percent or an amount of alcohol in the body that would lead to a concentration that high, or a higher alcohol concentration in exhaled air than 0.1 mg/L air, he shall in all situations be considered under the influence of alcohol according to this law.

[More stuff about pills and other drugs]
Old 06-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Many times in college and in my early twenties, form various bars, clubs, parties. I'm not sure how many times would have qualified as "drunk" however, but I can recall a half dozen or so that probably would have. I have been pulled over twice after some significant drinking (6 or so drinks during the outing), and both times passed the street-side breathalyzer.

Good news is that I regret my stupidity and haven't driven like that for over twenty years now.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:05 AM

I keep a breathalyzer in the car. I doubt it's super accurate. I've never driven when I'm above 0.05, and rarely above 0.03.

I had my first drink at age 33, so no college drinking stories from me.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:04 AM

Sure, when I was much younger and dumber I drove many times when I definitely should not have. Never suffered any consequences, thank goodness. I have been pulled over and made to do a sobriety test 3 times in my life and passed them all. I had indeed been drinking on each occasion, and one in particular I can hardly believe they let me go. But they did. So I guess I can be a high functioning drunk? Regardless, I always have a DD or Uber available these days.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Is that when you wake up at home and don't know whether to be happy or sad that your car is parked in the garage?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:35 PM

Lots of times. But I grew up in a small town, and went to college just outside another small town (and the drinking age was 19), so (other than the other drunk drivers) there generally weren't a lot of folks to run over/into. Not any more (smarter, more to lose, easier to find other ways home, wife who doesn't drink much).

A lot of people are talking about their luck in not crashing/killing someone. I'm too lazy to luck up the stats, but even if DD double or tripled your odds, you still aren't very likely to have been in an accident (much less a fatal one). Not that I'm defending the practice because it is a risk that is easily avoided.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:43 PM

Never. never have, never will.

the closest I've come to it was *simulating* it in Forza 4

I did a lap on the Nürburgring in a VW GTI MkV (the closest match to my MkV Rabbit)sober to establish a baseline, then did a lap after I drank a can of beer...

my driving skill started degrading at 2 beers, then became "dangerous" at 3

I clearly am quite incapable of "holding my liquor", I know what my limits are and how not to exceed them.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
I am pretty sure I have not. I have looked up some of those BAC charts where they estimate your BAC based on number of drinks per hour and your body weight. I've had five drinks in an hour, and I wasn't buzzed - I was hammered. And that's barely to the .08 level.

In that driving test thing I did, one of the things was to see how accurately we could all estimate our BAC, as opposed to what it actually was. Like, in my own opinion I was fine after however many drinks. It was beer so I wasn't drinking it fast. (We were drinking and playing video games in between road tests.) I think I had three drinks in two hours, or something like that, which would have been typical for me in a night out drinking, but beer wouldn't have been typical, and beer seems to make me sleepier than wine or gin. (Also meaner, but that didn't figure into this test.)

We were all pretty bad at figuring out if we were at or over the limit, and we erred on the side of not being over the limit. I think one of the reasons I got selected for this was that I was a lightweight, physically speaking, although I also thought I was really good at handling my booze. But on the last one, if a cop had caught and tested me, I would have been over the threshold for the lower offense, and I didn't think I was.

I seem to remember that the person who was best at estimating actual BAC was one of the worst drivers, drunk or sober.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

When I turned 21 and could legally purchase alcohol I was living in a city with good public transportation and didn't own a car so... no problem. I could drink and get home without driving.

Fairly quickly, I discovered alcohol's effect on me was unpredictable. At that point I decided that if I had to drive I would not drink and if I drank I would not drive. Never mind drunk or not, no alcohol for me before getting behind the wheel.

Have not had a problem adhering to that for the subsequent 30+ years.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:02 PM

Absolutely never. I enjoy drinking. I know when to stop or alternatively I know when to call a cab or a friend or a parent.

We have it set up now already with our children (since they were 5 years old we've instilled in them this fact). Any time, any place on earth, any reason, call us and we'll get you immediate transportation out. No questions asked. We don't care, we just want you safe. No exceptions- international collect call. Same day 1st class airline ticket by one of us to get you or for you to get anywhere else on the planet. As a high schooler, our child has Ubered away from get togethers of friends when it got late and her ride wasn't getting to leave at the discussed time and even Uber home from school in the evening when the it looked like bad weather was coming and she didn't trust her driving ability.

I grew up in the boonies and have lived everywhere from their to large cities and in between. There is simply no excuse ever.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
By that standard, I probably never have driven drunk. But I drove when I'd had a couple of drinks, and despite feeling fine, my reflexes were really off. Regardless of what the law might have said, I was driving under the influence, and it was dumb.

Last edited by puzzlegal; 06-07-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I've had five drinks in an hour, and I wasn't buzzed - I was hammered.
Yes. Five drinks in an hour? Holy shit. I'm not sure I could walk, let alone drive.

Male, 180 pounds, for reference.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:30 PM

No. I don't drink. But I stopped driving when I had some health issues I thought would make it unsafe for me to drive, or when taking medications with warnings about operating heavy machinery while taking it.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:25 PM

35 years ago in college I did, and sideswiped a parked car and drove off. What a fucking idiot.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:14 PM

I have never had any alcohol in my life. I watched my older siblings & cousins become alcoholics, & chose not to go down that path.

When I was 18 I got a part time job at a wrecking yard. I got to drive the wrecker quite often as no one else liked to do this & I did not mind operating it. Operating the wrecker was fun, but there were other things about it that I disliked. I can not count how many times the cause of the accident I responded to was drunk driving. It was for the vast majority of the calls that I went on.

Due to being the only wrecking yard on our end of the county, I was often the first on the scene of an accident. I learned first aid fast. I will not go into details, nor will I make any comments about drunk drivers. However, IMHO, Scraping dead bodies off of the blacktop is a sure cure for any thoughts of driving drunk. Trust me on this one. Do not try it for yourself, you will not dig it!

Not surprisingly, I personally have no time, or patience, for BS excuses as to why someone would chose to drive drunk. Please, just don't.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Not even to get away from your would-be killers? Happens all the time!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:24 AM

I didn't have a car the times I got drunk in college, so no. MADD was very big when I was learning to drive, so I was conditioned to never even try.
Since I almost never drink now, there's no opportunity anyway.