Old 06-11-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
- I always had the feeling that a lot of Parisians were being dicks more because they could, not because of a legitimate cultural difference.

Parisians are generally being dicks to everyone, including fellow Parisians. It´s nothing personal and you´re not being singled out for being a tourist.

For some it´s part of the charm, for others a real turn-off. YMWV
Old 06-11-2019, 06:15 AM

Mostly I go to Paris for the food. Recommendations:

Angelina, on the rue de Rivoli. The hot chocolate ('Africain') is mind-blowingly good if you're a chocolate fan. Downside: you may spend the rest of the day twitching. But it's worth it.

Bofinger, near the Place de la Bastille. The food ranges from decent to great (they do French fries [sic] fried in duck fat), but the Belle Epoque décor is beautiful, the waiters entertaining (as long as you are polite to them - ask them for recommendations of food and wine) and on the whole a nice night out. Expect late seatings, though - every time we've eaten there our reservation has been at 10pm.

Au Pere Louis, in the Latin Quarter. Holy crap, get the profiteroles.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickLondon View Post
I may be a bit weird, but one thing I like to do is check out the hardware/DIY department in the basement of the BHV department store: apart from seeing what's different in style from what you're used to, they have potential souvenir items like assorted signs for your house. Or the kitchenware/housewares departments will have small gadgets and easily-packable items.
I hate French cooking-stuff stores They assault me! I promise! I went in without meaning to buy anything! *waaaaaaah* Then again, I've bought stuff there for every kitchen my family owns, with good results...

Last edited by Nava; 06-11-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:27 AM

The big items have been covered so it depends on your interests. My lesser known recommendation is the Marmottan-Monet. The core of the collection is the art work owned by Monet - and not sold by his son. It includes some by his peers and the painting that gave the impressionist movement its name.

https://www.marmottan.fr/
Old 06-11-2019, 11:40 AM

Some special interest thoughts:

If you are into railway history at all, you'll be fascinated by the way you keep stumbling on odd bits of disused railway. This the Petite Ceinture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemin...etite_Ceinture

If you like science museums, you'll love the arts and metiers museum:

https://www.arts-et-metiers.net/

Do not confuse it with the City of Science and Industry, which is a quite different place. A beautiful location but the science is all dumbed-down-for-kids.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:43 PM

For a really quirky suggestion, one of my most fun memories of Paris is standing on the top of the Arc de Triomphe at afternoon peak hour. Because of the strange traffic rules on the Place de L'Etoile (where joining traffic has priority over traffic already in the roundbout) it's an amazing dance show as vehicles mush themselves into an unbelievable cram of traffic.

Or maybe it's just me.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:11 PM

My info is based on a few years back. The Paris Visite is marketed for tourists and you pay tourist prices. I found that buying a Navigo, marketed for residents but anyone can buy them, might be better. The monthly is by calendar month. The weekly is Mon-Sun. By careful planning when you walk and when you ride you can do better but we were happy to just buy a pass and be able to ride any time, any where.

For your 9 day stay you would need two five-day Paris Visite passes, all zones at 65.80 Euro.
The Navigo monthly for all zones is 75.20 Euro.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:51 PM

Yes, there is some bullshit where you can no longer buy a Carte Orange and are forced to get a (more expensive than a piece of paper) smart card.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mondegreen View Post
For a really quirky suggestion, one of my most fun memories of Paris is standing on the top of the Arc de Triomphe at afternoon peak hour. Because of the strange traffic rules on the Place de L'Etoile (where joining traffic has priority over traffic already in the roundbout) it's an amazing dance show as vehicles mush themselves into an unbelievable cram of traffic.

Or maybe it's just me.
Nope, not just you. It's a beautifully chaotic ebb and flow.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:44 PM

Although you won’t be able to go in the cathedral, if you go down the street beside it there is a nice cafe where you can have lunch back of Notre Dame.

Last edited by tim-n-va; 06-11-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:32 PM

A few more thoughts. (Yes, I've just come back from Paris)

The Parc des Buttes-Chaumont, in the north-east, is an amazing artificial lake with an artificial island in the middle. And a suspension bridge.

While we're talking buttes, there's an area called the Butte-aux-Cailles which has a high concentration of good bars and resturants. I have eaten at the Auberge de la Butte on the Rue Butte-aux-Cailles and it was great and not expensive.

Finally, look up the Rue Mouffetard. It's quite a long hill lined with restaurants and bars, covering just about every ethnic variation.Have eaten at Le Tournbride and it was good. Nearest metro is Censier-Daubenton.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-n-va View Post
Although you won’t be able to go in the cathedral, if you go down the street beside it there is a nice cafe where you can have lunch back of Notre Dame.
I love the park behind Notre Dame with all the lovely lime (linden) trees. Probably not so wonderful in January though.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:50 PM

Lots of +1 agreements

We also liked the Rodin museum--a bit off the beaten path, but accessible on the Metro. Much of the sculpture is outdoors, so save this one for a day when you'd like to be outside.

Take the Metro to the Trocadero stop after dark and walk up to the gardens/park for Instagram-worthy views of the Eiffel Tower. Actually, it's lovely during the daylight hours as well.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:59 PM

If you are in any way fond of ice cream or sorbets then I heartily recommend Berthillon. Absolutely epic.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudest Monkey View Post
We also liked the Rodin museum--a bit off the beaten path, but accessible on the Metro. Much of the sculpture is outdoors, so save this one for a day when you'd like to be outside.
Oh, yes! Aside from The Thinker, you can also see The Kiss and sculptures by Rodin's wife/mistress, Rose Beuret. There is a wonderful café on the grounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
If you are in any way fond of ice cream or sorbets then I heartily recommend Berthillon. Absolutely epic.
Expect a long line, but well worth the wait.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Expect a long line, but well worth the wait.
My wife and I ate at a nice little restaurant a few doors down and the food was very good in general whilst the ice cream at the end was spectacular. I commented on this specifically to the waiter and asked if it was made in-house. He said that of course it would be under normal circumstances but seeing as they had the world's greatest ice-cream maker just across the road he'd be fool to do anything other than serve Berthillon.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:04 AM

I stayed at the Tonic Hotel Du Louvre a couple of years ago and it was fine. Not great, but fine. What it has going for it is that it is right in the center of things and inexpensive.

Le Musée des Arts et Métiers was incredible and I highly recommend it.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
sculptures by Rodin's wife/mistress, Rose Beuret.
I think you mean Camille Claudel. Rose was his lover then wife and not a sculptor, Camille was his mistress and a sculptor.

Last edited by MrDibble; 06-15-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I think you mean Camille Claudel. Rose was his lover then wife and not a sculptor, Camille was his mistress and a sculptor.
Oops, yes I did mean Camille Claudel. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Just to say it again, y'all are awesome. I've just about got accommodations settled and from there I'll be making my plans for things to do - there's a lot of options in here I wouldn't have otherwise considered.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

fwiw, Louvre tickets to the da Vinci exhibit obtained today. Thanks again bonzer !
Old 06-19-2019, 09:47 PM

There is a lot to see in Paris, but if you have friends in London you want to see, then why not? Paris is a truly beautiful city. I speak passable French and did not find the Parisians rude. However, some are willing to take advantage of tourists, like many places.

Stay in a hotel close to a metro station, the subways are easy to use and convenient. I couldn’t really say about AirBnBs, I have heard the hostels are nothing special. Taxis are pricey, and soda pop and many tourist trap restaurants can be overpriced. Look for a restaurant filled with locals and be prepared to walk some distance from the Seine and famous landmarks. Paris has many good restaurants cheaper than the mediocre ones. If on a budget, grocery stores like Montprix have amazing cheese, meat, fruits and vegetables where you can stock up fairly cheaply. Paris has many wonderful bakeries and famous cafes. Chocolatines are croissants filled with chocolate, and are particularly good with coffee.

I like the Louvre but there is a lot to see and miles to walk. La musee d’Orsay is smaller with more modern works, and on the whole is more enjoyable. A day trip to Versailles is highly recommended. I also went to Chartres which also has a lovely and famous cathedral. I had no wish to see Euro Disney nor La Defense but have heard many people recommend them. Le Tour Eiffel and L’Arc de Triomphe (and connecting Champs-Élysées and Tuileries) are great. I liked Sacre Coeur and Notre Dame as well, but don’t know much about Notre Dame’s current state.

There are many wonderful smaller museums and galleries. There are also many picturesque neighbourhoods - including Saint-Germain and Marais. I rode a boat along the Seine which was okay but hardly mandatory. It might be fun to hang out at Paris Beach (all artificial) though I have no idea.

Seeing a movie in Paris is a fun experience. It has many wonderfully strange book and antique stores, and lots of very expensive fashion places which was of limited appeal to me. There are some okay parks. I did not go to Marseilles, Nice or the Loire Valley and you may have to save these for another time.

By all means learn a little French. But being respectful with shopkeepers and waiters/waitresses goes a long way. Taking a little cooking class might be fun, but I didn’t do this.