Old 06-07-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEmouse View Post
From your list, it looks like the average Briton is similar to the average US Democrat. If you asked the average Canadian, Australian or Japanese what they thought of US presidents, they would probably think much the same thing.
My wife (born/raised in Japan) keeps up with Japanese news sources on an ongoing basis. She notes that the stupidity of the things that Trump says is somehow lost when translated into Japanese, so it may be that the average Japanese person has an inflated perception of his intellect and demeanor.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
They represent just about half the electorate.
Well, actually 42% of the 68% who voted in 2017, so something less than a third of the electorate. And if you count the 9% of the 37% who turned out for the European elections, that's down to roughly 3% of the electorate.

As for Trump, it's partly contempt for his personal failings, partly fear of both what can and can't be predicted in his behaviour, and partly that many of us just expected better of you.

Another point on the NHS issue: it's not just the question of whether the likes of Kaiser Permanente would be allowed to bid for commissions of NHS services. It's more that the whole system might be hollowed out, by the combination of the bias towards outsourcing written into the last NHS Act and the "investor-state dispute resolution" systems in similar agreements (allowing companies to sue governments for loss of expected income resulting from state regulations), which would allow them to enforce cherry-picking of the easier services, leaving a reduced state service to deal with the difficult ones. Some of the pro-Brexit and pro-Americanisation voices are quite keen on demolishing the NHS.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Nato really isn't front of mind for British people - we give our fair share to it, and pull our weight militarily around the globe, and really don't look upon America as protecting us.

More likely, we look upon America as bullying us, and Trump is the biggest bully in the playground. And as giant twat, let's face it.
Fair points. I wasn't thinking of the US protecting the UK so much as NATO in general providing stability and cooperation across Europe. If the US says "Eh, forget NATO", it would seem to undermine the global order that has helped prevent any major European wars for the past 70+ years. Point taken, though.

And, yeah, Trump is, without a doubt, a giant twat.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Why does the UK hate Trump so much?

They've spent more than 100 years expecting The Hun to attack from the East... only to find that Trump comes from the West.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
And who voted in the
300-and-change Conservative MPs in Parliament?

They represent just about half the electorate.
No they do not, the Brits call that first past the post and they still like it. Wait until next general election, when due to vote splitting among parties some constituencies will be won with under 30% of the vote cast or under 20% of the electorate. Neither the Torys nor Labour have ever won 50% of the vote since WWII, cite, though the torys came close in 1955 and 1959.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Well, there's plenty of contempt and disdain for him on his own side of the pond:

Quote:
Group wants to protest president's 4th of July speech with 'Baby Trump' balloon

An activist group is hoping to protest President Trump's planned Lincoln Memorial 4th of July address with an orange, yellow haired "Baby Trump" blimp that also appeared during his visits to the U.K....

The group wants to fly the blimp over any open grassy area nearest to [the] Lincoln Memorial, the Post reported, citing the National Park Service permit application....
Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Group wants to protest president's 4th of July speech with 'Baby Trump' balloon

An activist group is hoping to protest President Trump's planned Lincoln Memorial 4th of July address with an orange, yellow haired "Baby Trump" blimp that also appeared during his visits to the U.K....

The group wants to fly the blimp over any open grassy area nearest to [the] Lincoln Memorial, the Post reported, citing the National Park Service permit application....
If it can't be rigged that only his true believers are close to the stage, he's gonna spend the day in 'executive' time.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Well, there's plenty of contempt and disdain for him on his own side of the pond:
The link won't open on my work computer. What do they need? Do they need help with funding? Tell me what they need!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I get that Trump is an easy person to hate.

But with the Baby Trump balloons and the tens of thousands showing up at protests, it leaves me with the impression their distaste for Trump is more of a personal nature.

Oh and by the way, I'd like to give a tip of the hat to my friends across the pond. You guys know how to snark WAY better than us Yanks.
Why shouldn't they be enormously motivated to hate him?

The American presidency is not some abstract curiosity to people around the world. Whoever holds that office has enormous potential to affect lives everywhere. The U.S. president might not quite be executive of the world, but it's a very important office to everyone. Everyone has an interest in who holds that office and what actions and decisions ē takes.

Beyond that are the specific things that this particular president has said and done to offend British people in particular.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings /m/s, /m/s, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, /m/s, /m/s, E/Em/Es.)

Last edited by Acsenray; 06-12-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Fair points. I wasn't thinking of the US protecting the UK so much as NATO in general providing stability and cooperation across Europe.
In Europe there's no such perception, really. On the military front, countries don't need to be part of NATO to take part in international campaigns or to host NATO troops; on the civilian front, most people don't even know NATO has a civilian front. I happened to get a NATO research grant which had really nice conditions (or rather, very few conditions compared with most others), but if my boss and one of his pals hadn't known about that particular program I would never have heard of it. They simply don't publicize those aspects.

Last edited by Nava; 06-12-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The link won't open on my work computer. What do they need? Do they need help with funding? Tell me what they need!
They need a permit, so it comes down to whether the Park Service is sufficiently cowed/corrupted by the Swampy Trumpy to concoct some BS excuse (e.g. "it's too dangerous to fly a helium balloon during the day when they'll be setting off fireworks that night) to prevent them from hurting the Howling Yam's delicate fee-fees.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 AM

Damn. I can't help them with that, but I'll wish them luck.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Why is that?
More of the population has living memory of Franco?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:12 AM

Bad press?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WotNot View Post
Not at all; we like or dislike them on an individual basis, according to their perceived qualities.

Obviously, theres a range of opinion across the population, but broadly speaking, Id say it breaks down like this:
We liked Kennedy, didnt much care for Johnson, and disliked Nixon.
Ford seemed like a bit of a twit, but we mostly liked Carter.
Most of us thought Reagan was a dangerous idiot, but Bush The First seemed mostly sensible.
We rather liked Clinton. Bush The Second appeared to combine the worst of Reagan and Ford, so Obama was something of a relief.
Before or after they were elected? and from what perspective, left or right?
Old 06-14-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueYonder View Post
Before or after they were elected? and from what perspective, left or right?
Oh, if youre asking those sort of questions, youre already giving my post more thought than I did

I was only intending to give a rough, thumbnail impression of the range of opinions that people in the UK have had of different US presidents.

My sole point was: no, of course we dont just hate them as a matter of course.