Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Do you totally suck at anything?

Inspired bythis thread: You've given up your best, now give us your worst!

I have no sense of direction. I do mean I have a bad sense of direction, a sucky sense of direction. or even a shitty sense of direction. I totally lack to ability to get from here to there if someone tells me how. I have to reply on visual clues, memorizing street names and landmarks. I've lived in the same city for over 30 years, and yet I still get totally lost and have to ask strangers for directions.

I blame genetics. No female in my mother's family has a sense of direction. Obviously, that gene was bred out of our pool centuries ago.

What powers do you lack?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Math. My ACT composite score would have been considerably higher were it not for my bombing so terribly in the math section.

To this day I can barely do simple arithmetic. Seriously. I need pen & paper and a calculator to compute the outcome of a 4d6 + 8 roll in Dungeons & Dragons.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:39 AM
born to be shunned

I can't remember names for shit. I always blame it on my stroke but in my case it was here long before and seems to be genetic; my Dad used to forget MY name. He would start to say something and you could see the deer-in-the-headlights look and running through his brain is "I only have two - I got a 50/50 chance - its a family name I know but - with 11 years apart I should be able to". And them he would fall back on the old reliable:
"Son -- run down to the garage for me and grab -------"

Yeah Dad -- right. Good cover!

Now if you want to talk more a skill; I have always wanted to be a good woodworker. Carving gunstocks, making desks, building toys. I don't totally suck at it but the best I can usually manage is refinishing or maybe making a missing part for something for my own use. Its driven me nuts because I am terrific with metal; I can make and/or forge almost anything. I've made car fenders from scratch good enough that people wanted to buy them. I have made flint locks for rifles that are still in use 40 years later. But my woodwork -------- nada. My Dad always claimed it was because I couldn't melt the wood and start over.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 AM

Ball games. I have no grasp of the tactics involved, though I can recognise skill in getting the ball to do what you want it to do. And I have no ability to do anything much with a ball in any sort of game. Whenever the children in the local primary school let their football get over the fence, and I happen to be the passerby they ask to get it back, I'm in a cold sweat.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Same as you - no sense of direction, at all.

I have been walking Leet the Wonder DogTM the same five or six routes for the last seven years, and if I even take a turn one block earlier or later, I am hopelessly confused. And it's even worse at the dog park - we can wander around for twenty minutes and I still have no idea where the exits are. Fortunately, he is in no hurry and is perfectly OK with criss-crossing the park two or three times before I finally figure out which way is which.

Nor can I remember where I parked the car. If I don't park in the same slot as the last fifty times, I have to wander the aisles hitting the Unlock button and listen for the plaintive little beep that signals "I'm over here where you left me, you forgetful old person you".

My handwriting is atrocious, I have no memory for names, and it takes a moment of concentrated thought before I can remember my own cell phone number.

I have an encyclopedic knowledge of things that do me absolutely no good but last Sunday I locked my keys in the car and have no idea what became of the spare. If you want to know who were the participants in the last world heavyweight boxing championship held under London Prize Ring rules (John L. Sullivan knocked out Jake Kilrain in 75 rounds), I'm your man. Where I left my glasses, not so much.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
I can't remember names for shit.
Me either. And hey - faces too. The other week I spent time in the hospital walk-in centre after a minor bike crash. Saw a nurse, had an X-ray, saw another nurse. The second nurse had to explain to me, gently, that actually she was the first nurse. There had been maybe twenty minutes between my two sessions with her, and I had lost her face completely. I'm so bad at this that I'm no longer embarrassed by it - it's not me being disrespectful, it's more like a disability.

You can add to that a couple of practical ones. I am officially the world's worst plasterer - my technique these days is to make a cat's arse of a wall and then sand it flat. And then there's anything that involves superglue. Whatever it is, I will end up stuck to it.

j
Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Playing the guitar. I have short stubby fingers that don't bend all that well plus I have arthritis in some joints. I have been taking lessons and can play rhythm parts okay.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:00 AM

Dating, relationships, etc. As frustrated as some of y'all feel about math, that's how I feel about love.

Oh, and I can't snap my fingers.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 AM

I absolutely cannot sing. In my mind, I sound to myself like I'm hitting all the right notes, but to others it comes out as a droning monotone. I'm also completely unable to dance, though oddly enough I'm pretty good at rhythm-based video games like Beat Saber.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 AM

Spelling. Actually, I really struggle at anything that involves me putting letters in rows. Things like words, sentences, paragraphs, etc.

Anything musical.

Anything requiring physical coordination.

Pop culture trivia.

Recognizing faces and remembering names. A few weeks ago I introduced myself to the same guy twice in 10 minutes.

Can I stop now?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:16 AM

I have zero kinetic sense for sports or things of that nature. Never have, never will.

All my gifts look as though they were wrapped by someone with bear paws rather than primate hands with opposable thumbs.

I can't whistle better than a thin reedy noise that absolutely would not get Lauren Bacall's attention. She would likely check the windows to see if there was a leaky draft or something.

Last edited by Jophiel; 06-12-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Can't remember names. It's one of the reasons I hate meetings at work. Sure, I see you every month, still can't remember your name. People think I just don't care. And they are probably correct.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:05 AM

Math. Names. People's names, names of things. It's like words are just made up randomly.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 AM

I never could run very fast.

Good upper body strength, in pretty good shape, and I've always done lots of walking, so it's really not much a matter of muscle tone. I just can't run very fast at all: never could.

The best I could ever do in the 50 yard dash was low to mid 8s.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:15 AM

Anything artistic: art, music, creative writing...

Like many previous posters I can't remember names, unless there are lots of repetitions.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:16 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Singing, playing music, drawing anything more complex than stick figures. Total fail. I've all the musical ability of a blocked nostril, and my artwork resembles the footprints of poultry having a seizure.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:29 AM

I cannot grasp technology. Can't keep straight my router from my modem from my WiFi from my Network.

CANNOT do anything more complex that very basic algebra. So much so that I will never finish my degree because I just.can't.do.it.

I have no sense of direction
Can't throw or catch a frisbee
Can't play pool
Can't roll fajitas
Old 06-12-2019, 11:29 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Languages. I can learn them through rigorous training but the moment I stop using it they just slip away.

As a near thing on direction. I'm very good at getting places. But place me in a building with multiple exits like a mall or something? I can't for the life of my figure out where my car is and how to get there. I'm always trying to recall which store I came in at and use the maps to get back. It's like the two areas exist on entirely separate planes of existence.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

While working in the real estate office, I learned to give directions because people often stopped by to get directions. I probably could have learned Hebrew easier, but I did it. I'm so good at giving directions that if anyone calls the store I now work at asking for them, or if anyone in the tore askes how to get somewhere else, the staff calls on me.

But following someone else's directions? Forget it.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Pool.

I'm awful, and always have been. In fact, so much so that I haven't played in years. There's no joy in it for me... only frustration.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Multitasking. My wife can read the paper and watch TV and not miss a single plot element. She can do the crossword puzzle and hear everything being said on a radio broadcast. She can be sending emails and following the action on an NBA game at the same time. I, on the other hand...look! A penny!

Also, I have a very poor sense of direction and will almost invariably turn the wrong way.

Last edited by Chefguy; 06-12-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:02 PM

Three things come to mind:

Names - I'm absolutely terrible at remembering names of people I just met. This is particularly difficult as I work in a sales role and engage with new prospects regularly. You tell me your name and before the handshake is through I can't recall it.
Math - I'm not terrible but I was never strong at math in high school or college. I did the minimum required to obtain a diploma or degree. Frankly I rarely have a need for it but when it does come up... I'm f-cked.
Basketball - I'm fairly athletic, or used to be until I hit this later stage of middle-age. But the one sport I could never at least not embarrass myself at was basketball. I can't walk/run and dribble and I can't shoot. I'm basically just a body out there getting in the way.

MeanJoe
Old 06-12-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Handwriting. Was so bad at it that never did it for years until I realized one night that I had forgotten how to write cursive.

Guitar, but it wasn't from lack of talent, I just couldn't do it. Seriously though, one of the times I broke my left arm the bone didn't heal naturally so there's a slight infirmity which hinders how I hold the neck. C'est la vie.

Delicate tasks involving small motions with my fingers. HATE ALL OF THOSE DUTIES. OMG, JUST... NO!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Humility. Damn, it's hard to be humble.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:24 PM

I suck at art. I'm terrible Drawing, painting.

I did ceramics for awhile. I asked my wife to paint them for me. So they'd look nice.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Another person bad at drawing, painting, etc. Can't draw a circle or straight line at all.

Also bad a singing. But that doesn't stop me.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Basketball. Most sports I can fake my way through and probably have some fun playing against my peers. I can throw and catch a football. I can throw, hit, catch a baseball. Play a little tennis for fun.
But anytime I even attempt to shot a basketball through the net I'm horrible. Give me the ball on an empty court by myself and ask me to shoot free throws and layups for 5 minutes and I might make 2 if I'm lucky.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:21 PM

I have great musical ability, even virtuoso ability on one instrument but I can't for the life of me draw anything, seriously my five year old daughter surpassed my drawing ability when she was four.

I'm good with verbal stuff scored in the top 96% on the SAT but I just suck at math, I mean I guess technically I am tested as average in math but that's after forcing myself to study doing the same problems 10 or 20 times, that part of my brain has a peanut in it or something, I just don't understand it and I'm also terrible at doing simple math in my head.

Last edited by pool; 06-12-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
Three things come to mind:

Names - I'm absolutely terrible at remembering names of people I just met. This is particularly difficult as I work in a sales role and engage with new prospects regularly. You tell me your name and before the handshake is through I can't recall it.
Math - I'm not terrible but I was never strong at math in high school or college. I did the minimum required to obtain a diploma or degree. Frankly I rarely have a need for it but when it does come up... I'm f-cked.
Basketball - I'm fairly athletic, or used to be until I hit this later stage of middle-age. But the one sport I could never at least not embarrass myself at was basketball. I can't walk/run and dribble and I can't shoot. I'm basically just a body out there getting in the way.

MeanJoe
Oh yeah, names. It's embarrassing. In fact, if I don't see someone for several weeks or more, I'm likely to forget their name, even though I know them fairly well.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:08 PM

Programming. I excel at maths and sciences but despite repeated attempts, about two weeks into an intro programming course I start to flounder and fumble. I started out wanting to do programming / comp sci, and love the concepts, but totally fail at implementing anything but a simple read/write or single loop and dropped out of more classes than I can count. I passed freakin' quantum mechanics for Og's sake, it shouldn't be that hard!
Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I cannot grasp technology. Can't keep straight my router from my modem from my WiFi from my Network. ...
You and me both, pal. I have never been interested enough in tech to spend time getting familiar with it. Of course, that fuels the reinforcing cycle - the less effort I put in, the more out of touch I get.

When I try to do the same thing I always do - but get a different result, I'm completely befuddled.

I feel so at odds with where the world is going. I see so many things advertised, and I simply have no interest in them - and no clear idea what they are or why so many other people in advertisers' desirable demographics ARE so interested.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:51 PM

Running - This is a genetic thing that my nephew inherited, and I suspect my mother also had the problem (but running was not on her list of things to do). I can sorta trot along, but any actual speed is just not in my physical capacity. As a child in gym class, I was always tagging along with the really obese kids who could barely job.

Singing/Carrying a Tune - I suppose I am tone deaf, and can't keep a tempo. I have even had classes with professional singing coaches (not just local, but entertainment industry professionals). They start by saying "Anyone can sing. I can teach you to sing." I have defeated them all!
Old 06-12-2019, 02:59 PM

Multitasking, especially socially. I hate it when I'm talking to someone and another person says something to me.

Higher maths. Basic geometry and algebra aren't bad, but start putting in those superscript/subscript variables and my vision goes blurry.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Music. I'm tone deaf. When one of my kids was little she took Suzuki violin. I went to her class once, and the teacher was playing notes that these pre-K kids were identifying. I had no idea of what any of them were.
My father-in-law had perfect pitch, I'm totally opposite.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:13 PM

I'm a really shitty house keeper. If left to my own devices, I clean sporadically, essentially in the kitchen and bathroom, because otherwise gross. I can't remember the last time i dusted the place - years is not an exaggeration. I'm not bothered by having a mountain of dirty laundry and ignore it. Sometimes I'm tempted to just throw it all out and buy new shit. There are small piles of stuff around - books, my kid's toys, flyers that need to be recycled.

Fortunately for all involved, Mr. Wonderland is a great house keeper and keeps the place ship shape when he's home. When he's away for work it slowly becomes shabby, and then he tidies when he gets home. He does have a much higher bar for tidiness than I do, and when we first starting living together I told him if he wanted the place spic and span, he would have to do it himself.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Golf. I tend to try to swing the club like a baseball bat, and my boobs are just way too big for any sort of good form. Also I find it to be boring.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:30 PM

Dancing. Even the Wedding Slow Dance Of The Living Dead. No coordination from the knees down, that's me.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:48 PM

I can't roll my Rs. My siblings and children can continuously, but there's no hope for me.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Math beyond 6th or 7th grade level
Spatial relations and mechanical ability (once scored in the bottom 3 percent on an aptitude test).
Reading romantic signals or lack thereof (fortunately Ms. P told me straight out she was interested).
Old 06-12-2019, 04:00 PM

When I was in junior high I took guitar lessons. I had to stop because I could not tune the guitar. The instructor would play a note and we were supposed to tune off of that. I could not tell whether I needed to tune higher or lower to match. I could recognize they were different sounds, but I had no idea the relationship between them. I have had people ask me not to sing happy birthday with the group. I thought I was blending in with everyone else, but apparently not.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:08 PM

I cannot carry a tune. I cannot draw worth a damn. And I have been living in a French speaking province for near 51 years and still cannot carry on a conversation. I took courses, tried, just cannot seem to do it. And I cannot dance, never could, although I took lessons once. Good in math, though.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:12 PM

If it's math involving the alphabet, I'm a goner. The only pi I can deal with ends in an -e and is hopefully lemon meringue.
Faces. I can remember names easily, but putting them to faces, nope. My daughter will ask if I remember someone she went to school with - I can give their life story. Show me a picture of that same kid and I will have no idea.
Knitting and crocheting. I have tried a miserable amount of times to learn, but I just cannot get it.
Deep, philosophical conversation. I try, but HEY! squirrel! I just don't have the attention span or knowledge base.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:28 PM

I'm good at any kind of art and anything musical (instrumental, singing, dance).

But sports... ANY sport... Fahgettaboudit.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Humility. Damn, it's hard to be humble.
I feel ya'. I once thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Other than that...
I suck at leaving voicemails. I just can't leave a nice and concise little message. I usually start off okay, hitting the basics (like my name) but then I realize that every single word is being recorded, which causes a flash of self-consciousness, which invariably leads to a meandering string of words that always ends with me apologizing meekly for my rambling. Never my best work.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:32 PM

Anything whatsoever to do with numbers or visualizing things in space (especially numbers). Unless you have dyscalculia you cannot imagine how many activities and pieces of knowledge have numbers in them. Measuring anything! Telling time! Remembering dates! Let alone virtually any science. If I am measuring an object I have to write down each parameter as soon as I measure it, or I will forget it, instantly. Numbers pour through my head like water through a colander.

I'm also real crappy at fixing anything that doesn't involve sewing, but part of that is learned helplessness due to my husband being a genius at fixing thing. He is also a numbers guy (worked in particle physics).
Old 06-12-2019, 04:37 PM

Drawing. Apart from an outstanding 3-D box, I can't draw a damn thing to save my life. It's actually pretty shameful and embarrassing, which ultimately makes me push it down into the darkest recesses of my mind, which keeps me locked in perpetual drawing suckitude.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:14 PM

I can't whistle. I know, I know -- "You just put your lips together and blow."

Many times over the years people have tried to teach me, but I've never been able to whistle. I once wrote Cecil to ask if my inability was related to my palate torus, but he never answered me.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:30 PM

I am generally a quite competent cook. My pie crusts always come out terrible. It's like i'm cursed.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:38 PM

I am horrible at anything involving time. Bob said we were "calendar-impaired", and that's the solid truth, but also being able to say how long something took? I don't know, could have been 10 minutes or 3 weeks. I think I started on that before today...

We missed our 5 year anniversary by several days.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:14 PM

So, so many things. I can't remember them., well...cause, you know..bad memory.
I cannot keep appointments. I'm a serial cancellation girl. The receptionists at the Clinic just throws any old time and day out there cause, she knows I'll cancel at least once.
I think this is a symptom of my agoraphobia.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 06-12-2019 at 06:15 PM.