Old 06-12-2019, 07:56 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

What have the democrats done since winning in 2018 that you're excited about

Just out of curiosity.

In Illinois, they legalized marijuana. They made it easier to join a labor union. The state joined the US climate alliance. They expanded women's reproductive rights.

I know a lot of states are looking at various forms of health reform. I'm not sure if they've passed any yet, but I hope they pass some good things. Maybe some states will get public options, transparent pricing, abilities to import medications from overseas, etc.

Hopefully some states will continue to expand women's rights and voter rights.

Obviously on the national level, democrats on the house acting as a check on Trump by blocking his legislative agenda and engaging in investigations is something I"m very happy about.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 06-12-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:10 PM

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...163127127.html

Quote:
In New York, Democratic state senator Liz Krueger pushed to codify the 1973 Supreme Court Roe v Wade ruling through the Reproductive Health Act, which was signed into law in January.

In Nevada, state senator Yvanna Cancela helped pass the Trust Nevada Women Act, which was signed into law on May 31.

California, Maine, Vermont and Washington have also "either moved or enacted abortion protections" in 2019, according to Elizabeth Nash, the senior state issues manager for the Guttmacher Institute, a nonprofit reproductive health research and policy organisation.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...ts-11548360294

Quote:
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a legislative package Thursday expanding voting access, including permitting early voting eight days before an election.

The new law also allows 16- and 17-year-old New Yorkers to preregister to vote so they will automatically be eligible to cast ballots by their 18th birthday. Other changes include allowing New Yorkers to transfer their voter registration when they move to a different county rather than having them register with their new county. New York state and federal primaries will also now be held on the same day.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:21 PM

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ll-connecticut

Quote:
In February, New Jersey and Illinois hiked their pay floors to $15. A month later, Maryland lawmakers overrode the governor’s veto to pass its own $15 wage bill.

Senators in Connecticut debated the newest minimum-wage bill late into the night Thursday, and passed it easily with a 21-14 vote at 2:45 am Friday.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 PM

They've disrupted Republican misrule.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 PM

AOC kicking ass and taking names during congressional hearings is always a beauty to behold.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:02 AM

Thanks for this thread. By now, all thinking Americans should know who the good guys are and who needs to be thrown out of office.

When I clicked I was afraid I'd find a "Democrats only want to whine about Trump" rant. Wait a while, and I'm sure such ranters will post in the thread. Sentence them to read this excellent discussion that HMS Irruncible linked to recently.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Thanks for this thread. By now, all thinking Americans should know who the good guys are and who needs to be thrown out of office.

When I clicked I was afraid I'd find a "Democrats only want to whine about Trump" rant. Wait a while, and I'm sure such ranters will post in the thread. Sentence them to read this excellent discussion that HMS Irruncible linked to recently.
Thanks for that link. I read it all the way to the end. It’s critical to understanding the tactical advantages of the right.
*I'm experimenting with ē, ēm, and ēs as pronouns that do not indicate any specific gender nor exclude any specific gender. (I am also contemplating the spellings ë/ëm/ës, é/ém/és, e/em/es, Ē/Ēm/Ēs, Ë/Ëm/Ës, É/Ém/És, E/Em/Es.)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:24 AM

Without the Democratic win, Trump would have had himself crowned king by now!
Old 06-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I'm not sure of the connection, but whatever. (I'm quite familiar with the 'hack gap' because I used to read Matt Yglesias a lot.)
Old 06-13-2019, 09:52 AM

Here in Wisconsin: “Governor Tony Evers said his proudest accomplishment in his first 100 days in office was creating the “people’s budget,” a term used by Evers after touring the state collecting input from voters.

While he continues to tout his budget, Republicans have given clear signals they won’t support most of it. Evers said creating a budget focused on the input of Wisconsinites is an “achievement” despite proposals like Medicaid expansion that GOP leadership have called “non-starters.”

“I think many times people see the budget as this mysterious weird thing that they don’t have any input on it,” said Evers. “We’ve been greatly pleased with the outreach.”

He also praised withdrawing Wisconsin from a multi-state lawsuit aiming to repeal the Affordable Care Act and signing an anti-discrimination executive order focused on LGBTQ individuals.

On Evers’ first day in office, he signed the order to require state agencies to create policies banning discrimination against employees and to include protections on the basis of gender identity.”

https://wkow.com/news/2019/04/16/gov...relationships/
Old 06-14-2019, 02:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Here in Wisconsin: “Governor Tony Evers said his proudest accomplishment in his first 100 days in office was creating the “people’s budget,” a term used by Evers after touring the state collecting input from voters.

While he continues to tout his budget, Republicans have given clear signals they won’t support most of it. Evers said creating a budget focused on the input of Wisconsinites is an “achievement” despite proposals like Medicaid expansion that GOP leadership have called “non-starters.”

“I think many times people see the budget as this mysterious weird thing that they don’t have any input on it,” said Evers. “We’ve been greatly pleased with the outreach.”

He also praised withdrawing Wisconsin from a multi-state lawsuit aiming to repeal the Affordable Care Act and signing an anti-discrimination executive order focused on LGBTQ individuals.

On Evers’ first day in office, he signed the order to require state agencies to create policies banning discrimination against employees and to include protections on the basis of gender identity.”

https://wkow.com/news/2019/04/16/gov...relationships/
You paint a much prettier picture of Evers than whats real. Not a whole lot has actually changed in this state under him, thankfully.

And 3 1/2 years from now you'll have very little to add to this list. Most, if not all of the so called 'Lame duck" legislation got/will get reinstated by the State Supreme Court. Little Tony is going to get cock blocked at almost every turn of his agenda.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
You paint a much prettier picture of Evers than whats real. Not a whole lot has actually changed in this state under him, thankfully.

And 3 1/2 years from now you'll have very little to add to this list. Most, if not all of the so called 'Lame duck" legislation got/will get reinstated by the State Supreme Court. Little Tony is going to get cock blocked at almost every turn of his agenda.
Ladies and gentlemen, your modern Republican Party, Exhibit A. No concern for the people of the state, only for "cock blocking" Democrats.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, your modern Republican Party, Exhibit A. No concern for the people of the state, only for "cock blocking" Democrats.

It is my absolute concern for my fellow citizens that reasons Evers must fail.

Don’t get pissed it’s just politics. Don’t deny you’d like both sides of Congress to block all of Trumps agenda.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:35 AM

n/m

Last edited by QuickSilver; 06-14-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
... Little Tony is going to get cock blocked at almost every turn of his agenda.
Quote:
It is my absolute concern for my fellow citizens that reasons Evers must fail.

Don’t get pissed it’s just politics. Don’t deny you’d like both sides of Congress to block all of Trumps agenda.
I think Chiquirrel's query, to which you did not respond, was asking WHAT you object to in Evers' program. ("Everything" is non-specific. ) Your contribution was glee that Evers would be cock-blcoked, and some Tu Quoque conflating Evers with Trump. Like Chiquirrel, I am also mystified.