Old 12-27-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
You aren't thinking clearly. Or you are not expressing yourself well.

I think that Republicans realized a long time ago that they couldn't win elections without the racists. Other Republicans turned a blind eye to the racism in Republican campaigns because that was the only way they could get close enough to win from time to time. This is nothing new. Unless you want to blame every fucking Republican win since Nixon on racism, you are barking up the wrong tree. You are arguing that Trump was able to mobilize the racists more than Barack (product of miscegeny) Hussein Obama could. I find that proposition doubtful. And even if he could, you are then saying that Hillary was not able to overcome that higher participation rate from racists despite the obvious negative impact that blatant racism has had on every race since the civil rights movement.

Of course minorities can be bigots. being a minority doesn't make you immune to bigotry. Just more sensitive to its presence.
I'll let someone else deal with the salad here. You seem to be shadowboxing with yourself and connecting though.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:43 PM

What the fuck is Trump up to? First, he asks for the names of all government employees working on climate change. Then he asks for the names of those working on gender equality, and now he wants the names of those working on terrorism.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN14D00N
Old 12-27-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
What the fuck is Trump up to? First, he asks for the names of all government employees working on climate change. Then he asks for the names of those working on gender equality, and now he wants the names of those working on terrorism.
He wants to make sure everyone gets a trophy.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
He wants to make sure everyone gets a trophy.
More likely, he can't wait to say "You're fired!"

Last edited by dasmoocher; 12-27-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
AFAIK trump has been more successful with the latest requests, but with Climate Change the government group refused to comply until Trump gave them a good reason, the only hopeful bit was that the Trump group decided then to tell news groups that the one making the request was tossed under the bus "admonished".

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...taffers-names/

Put a check mark in favor of the eternal vigilance guys. It is going to be a long 4 years.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Targeting them for firing, persecution and replacement with his cronies, no doubt. He'll replace anyone working for or supporting work on climate change or gender equality, and probably have them designated "security risks" so he can have them harassed long term for daring to disagree with him. Or even "disappeared" and tortured as terrorism suspects.

And he'll want to replace anyone working on terrorism so they'll go along with the Trump/Republican program of "Muslims are all terrorists, the American right wing are never terrorists".
Old 12-27-2016, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Have the other big oil guys contacted Exxon to start negotiating their surrender? I mean. open merger talks?
Old 12-27-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Have the other big oil guys contacted Exxon to start negotiating their surrender? I mean. open merger talks?
Would all you hysterical peeps be as hysterical if his cabinet was filled with union leaders?
Old 12-27-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Would all you hysterical peeps be as hysterical if his cabinet was filled with union leaders?
I think the labor sec should be a labor leader, not a magnate who has been trying to automate his workers out of their jobs. I guess I'm just a pinko.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:05 PM

Get ready to be wowed:

Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump plans to make an announcement related to the economy on Wednesday afternoon, his transition team said, adding it would be a boost to workers but giving no other details.

Trump plans to make the statement between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. Central time, incoming White House spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters on a conference call, adding that the news "should be very positive for American workers."
http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...ampaign=LEEDCC

I will try to keep an open mind. If he makes an announcement that has at least some details and affects more than a handful of people and doesn't smack of crony capitalism, I will drop in here to applaud him.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
I will try to keep an open mind. If he makes an announcement that has at least some details and affects more than a handful of people and doesn't smack of crony capitalism, I will drop in here to applaud him.
So Trump is to be applauded for doing the minimum that he is supposed to do?

As Chris Rock once said [to paraphrase]:

Man: "I take care of my kids!"
Rock: "You're supposed to! Why are you bragging?"

Last edited by dasmoocher; 12-28-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
So Trump is to be applauded for doing the minimum that he is supposed to do?
I'll take any positive sign I can get. I'm trying to get through the next four years without drinking myself to death, here, man!
Old 12-28-2016, 03:12 PM

Well, it's after 4 PM, any signs of an announcement?
Old 12-28-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Well, it's after 4 PM, any signs of an announcement?
I believe the announcement was supposed to be between 3 and4 central. It's after 4 eastern now.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
I believe the announcement was supposed to be between 3 and4 central. It's after 4 eastern now.
Right. It's almost 4 Central as I type now. I haven't seen anything about the announcement. He's probably working hard to whittle it down to 140 characters.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Right. It's almost 4 Central as I type now. I haven't seen anything about the announcement. He's probably working hard to whittle it down to 140 characters.
I'm guessing the announcement will be something like, "I'm going to make America great again." Or words to that effect.

He lurves that suspense, keep 'em waiting and wondering shtick, doesn't he? Like the true carnival barker that he is.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:04 PM

So apparently, the announcement was that Sprint was going to bring back 5000 jobs from overseas.

Sprint disagrees.

And yes, the link is to a partisan site, but the reason why I'm using it is because there are so many links in this site to a variety of Trump lies on the same subject.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:22 PM

NPR has an article about it here: http://www.npr.org/2016/12/28/507305...m_content=2056

Quote:
In a statement on its website, Sprint said it "anticipates these jobs will support a variety of functions across the organization, including its customer care and sales teams." But the jobs aren't finalized yet — the company said it will "begin discussions immediately with its business partners" and aims to fill the positions by the end of the 2017 fiscal year.
So, I'm skeptical but reserving judgement. On the one hand, the new investment and jobs is of course good news. On the other, it's unclear how much Trump really pulled the levers on this one and how much he's taking credit for things already in progress for months. Also, it's worrisome when a President makes personal deals with businesses and doesn't disclose the terms. No transparency, no accountability, just shady cronyism. That's not the way we ought to be doing things.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Five thousand jobs! Wow! Now we can fill in the Grand Canyon and build a real spiffy hotel there!
Old 12-28-2016, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Sprint announced that it would be hiring 5000 people back in April. Of 2015. That man has nothing to do with it, he's just stealing the credit for it, as he has done with other things.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

Story implies, at least to me, that those 5,000 in your cite were not going to be permanent, all part of a promotional effort. So, they could easily have been long gone before now.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Sprint announced that it would be hiring 5000 people back in April. Of 2015. That man has nothing to do with it, he's just stealing the credit for it, as he has done with other things.
His supporters are too stupid to pick up on that. They take what he says at face value as gospel truth. Pretty soon he'll start taking credit for the weather (the good weather, of course... bad weather is Obama/Hillary's fault).
Old 12-29-2016, 02:42 PM

Trump has chosen Paula White to give the benediction at his inauguration. White is one of a group of "prosperity gospel" pastors who were investigated by the US Senate, led by Republican Senators, but cleared in the end.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40960871/n.../#.WGV0f_krLIV
Old 12-29-2016, 05:53 PM

The Buffalo, NY Board of Education has voted to dump Carl Paladino's ass. And the rest of him, as well.

He has to agree with it, but if he doesn't, they're going to appeal to the state commissioner of education.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffal...s_reports.html
Old 12-29-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Didn't Obama already call Trump out as taking over existing projects, slapping his name on them, and then taking the credit?

Provided Trump doesn't fuck them up, first, and maybe even if he does. Many of his supporters won't know the difference.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:27 AM

nvm

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 01-03-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Didn't Obama already call Trump out as taking over existing projects, slapping his name on them, and then taking the credit?

Provided Trump doesn't fuck them up, first, and maybe even if he does. Many of his supporters won't know the difference.
Well, Obama is just jealous that he won't have a lasting legacy like Trumpcare.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I want to see how this plays out. I take it you mean TrumpObamacare. I get the feeling most of America is going to regret Trump's lasting legacy. I think even liberals are looking wistfully back at the halcyon days of GWB's Presidency.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I think this is exactly what will happen.

And the Republican base will eat up the lies with a spoon.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:47 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post

When did they start using utensils?
Old 01-04-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I'll let someone else deal with the salad here. You seem to be shadowboxing with yourself and connecting though.
I guess what I was saying is that if you are going to blame racists for Trump's win, you have to deal with how Obama won 4 and 8 years ago. You have to deal with the fact that there was a reason the other Republican candidates didn't throw away their do whistles and try to take away some of Trump's appeal to racists during the primary. Being racist might help you in a crowded primary field but it has generally hurt you in the general election since the civil rights movement.

If Hillary couldn't overcome an appeal to racism despite being a really good candidate you are basically saying that America turned back the clock on race relations at least 50 years since the last election.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, etc.

I think the simpler, and more factually accurate explanation is that she is a weak candidate with some fatal flaws who ran a horrible campaign. I.e. she is a horrible candidate.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 01-04-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I want to see how this plays out. I take it you mean TrumpObamacare. I get the feeling most of America is going to regret Trump's lasting legacy. I think even liberals are looking wistfully back at the halcyon days of GWB's Presidency.
That is exactly what I meant. A mere rebranding of Obamacare perhaps with some minor revisions and some low hanging fruit improvements like a public option or allowing medicare to negotiate for drug prices.

I hope you are wrong about looking back wistfully at GWB. A 15 year war (and counting), the greatest economic recession since the great depression, deregulation, deficits, debt. You are basically predicting that Trump will either unleash the Zombie virus or start a nuclear war.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 01-04-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:

I'd be OK with that. most of them didn't reason themselves into their position against Obamacare and I don't expect reason to prevail when things get turned around.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:59 AM

So now he picks Jay Clayton, best friend of Wall Street and large banks, to head the SEC. Refresh my memory: Wasn't Hillary's relationship with Wall Street constantly brought up during the election? Isn't picking people like this what Trumpy Wumpy voters DIDN'T want?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
So now he picks Jay Clayton, best friend of Wall Street and large banks, to head the SEC. Refresh my memory: Wasn't Hillary's relationship with Wall Street constantly brought up during the election? Isn't picking people like this what Trumpy Wumpy voters DIDN'T want?
That's that "Drain-y Swamp-y" thing again.

It doesn't mean his idiot fans think it means.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Trump is not "picking" anyone. He's selling these positions.

Trust me; some of these people have paid Trump a LOT of money to be in his cabinet. You don't think Donald Trump had Betsy DeVos on speed dial, do you? Of course not; she paid him to be Secretary of Education. Like her brother did, her aim is to make as much of the taxpayer's money as she possibly can. A Cabinet position could allow her to shape policy to make hundred of millions, even billions of dollars.

Trump wouldn't have given DeVos the time of day unless she paid up. I assure you DeVos has paid, or will pay, Trump tens of millions in return for the appointment. Clayton probably bought his seat at the table, too.

Last edited by RickJay; 01-04-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Gordon Gekko administration...
Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
No, no, no.

Trump's fans are very flexible. They can believe 4 contradictory things before breakfast.

Sure Hillary's relationship with Wall Street insiders was bad. That was then. Now Trump's relationship with Wall Street insiders is good. This is now.

It's easy if you have the soft and pliable brain of a Trump supporter.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
No, no, no.

Trump's fans are very flexible. They can believe 4 contradictory things before breakfast.

Sure Hillary's relationship with Wall Street insiders was bad. That was then. Now Trump's relationship with Wall Street insiders is good. This is now.

Trump said, live on 60 Minutes, that Pence voting for the Iraq war was forgivable mistake. A mistake that was unforgivable for Clinton to have made. Not even an attempt to disguise the double standard.

Last edited by running coach; 01-04-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
No, no, no.

The brains of Trump fans are soft? No, their brains are downright gooey.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind's Eye, Watering View Post
The brains of Trump fans are soft? No, their brains are downright gooey.
I thought their brains ran out their ears.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I hope you are wrong about looking back wistfully at GWB. A 15 year war (and counting), the greatest economic recession since the great depression, deregulation, deficits, debt. You are basically predicting that Trump will either unleash the Zombie virus or start a nuclear war.
Dubya demonstrated one virtue that Trump has not: explicit rejection of the corrosive premise that The West is at war with Islam. Trump's campaign rhetoric, and some of the people he's picked for key national-security posts, have supported that premise. Bizarrely, it aligns them perfectly with ISIS, who profess to believe the same thing.

I think it entirely possible that if a Trump administration implements policies based on that premise, "you ain't seen nothin' yet" on the terrorism front. To which Trump et al. could very well respond with "you ain't seen nothin' yet" levels of military force with no consideration of collateral damage.* Which would engender a terrorist response, which would engender an unrestrained military response ad nauseam ad infinitum. So no zombies or nuclear war, "just" a cycle of escalation that could make the terrorist attacks of the last couple of years look like a pickpocketing compared to a school massacre and be even more bloody for the "other" side.

*Ignoring for now the prospect of domestic official repression of Muslims, which is not as straightforward for a President and his Cabinet to carry out as the external use of military force. The courts have a lot to say about domestic measures, and aren't in Trump's control except until "enough" Federal judges die or retire, but the war powers of the President as Commander-in-Chief have been interpreted very broadly.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking a new Great Depression, the end of American democracy, theocracy, state mandated racism, sexism & other bigotry, and yes, probably the use of nuclear weapons. Not so much a "war", as a one sided attack; probably on either Mecca or Tehran.

And that's only some of what I expect from Trump and the Republicans.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:08 PM

Trump has ordered all politically appointed ambassadors to leave their posts by election day. We're going to be almost totally unrepresented in the world until the Senate gets around to approving all of his nominations.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

In the meantime, Republicans have reinstated an obscure law that allows Congress to reduce the salary of any federal employee to as little as $1.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:22 PM

No longer satisfied with threatening US companies that move production outside the country, Trump has now threatened Toyota with a "big border tax" if it produces vehicles for the US market in Mexico.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...ta-cars-mexico

Toyota is planning to expand an existing plant in Baja California that makes Corollas. It is also planning to build a new plant in Guanajuato. It doesn't appear that they have announced that they're moving any US production to either location.

I want to see good quality blue collar jobs in the US as much as the next guy. But, does Trump have any coherent plan for creating those jobs? Or is it going to be four years of odd threats and small scale deals with companies for a few thousand jobs here and there? Is he planning on a "big border tax" for ALL foreign cars? I'm no economist, but I thought protectionist tariffs had fallen out of favor.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No longer satisfied with threatening US companies that move production outside the country, Trump has now threatened Toyota with a "big border tax" if it produces vehicles for the US market in Mexico.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...ta-cars-mexico

Toyota is planning to expand an existing plant in Baja California that makes Corollas. It is also planning to build a new plant in Guanajuato. It doesn't appear that they have announced that they're moving any US production to either location.

I want to see good quality blue collar jobs in the US as much as the next guy. But, does Trump have any coherent plan for creating those jobs? Or is it going to be four years of odd threats and small scale deals with companies for a few thousand jobs here and there? Is he planning on a "big border tax" for ALL foreign cars? I'm no economist, but I thought protectionist tariffs had fallen out of favor.
He's a little behind. That was announced back in April 2015.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

That just shows that way back then, Toyota knew who was going to be President. They're smart people, the best.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Trump has ordered all politically appointed ambassadors to leave their posts by election day. We're going to be almost totally unrepresented in the world until the Senate gets around to approving all of his nominations.
Someone needs to tell this guy that politically appointed ambassadors are basically figureheads and that the staff do the real work. We will not be unrepresented in any way.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
In the meantime, Republicans have reinstated an obscure law that allows Congress to reduce the salary of any federal employee to as little as $1.
Both Houses of Congress would have to agree and the law has to be reapproved every year.