Old 01-12-2020, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Story about unexpectedly large steakhouse bill

You might remember a story from about five years ago in which a diner at a steakhouse in New Jersey ordered a bottle of wine that he believed $37.50 but it actually cost $3,750. (The waitress said it was "thirty-seven fifty.") Link to story on Snopes.

Well, here's a link to a new, sort-of similar story. A guy in Florida went to a steakhouse for a meal with two other couples. They ordered two "tomahawk" steaks and a rack of lamb, among other things. They thought they were ordering the normal versions of both but were served the "golden" option, in which both the steaks and the rack of lamb were wrapped in edible gold foil. They assumed the gold coating was the standard presentation until the bill arrived for thousands more than they expected. The steaks they thought they ordered cost $275, while the gold-wrapped ones cost $1,000 each.

And if you've never heard of Salt Bae, the celebrity chef behind the Florida restaurant, here's his Wikipedia page.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Huh. Well.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:27 PM

Forget the $1000 each. How the hell could anyone be so stupid as to order ones that cost $275 (separately or together)?!?
Old 01-13-2020, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Forget the $1000 each. How the hell could anyone be so stupid as to order ones that cost $275 (separately or together)?!?
For high-end steak, I could totally see that. For Christmas, I bought my brother 8 oz of Grade A5 Japanese Wagyu which was on sale for $100. And that's just the raw product. You still have to cook it and not screw it up. (He tried it side by side with some more normally pricey dry-aged ribeye at $40-50/lb, and said he was surprised at how much difference there was between the two.) A Tomahawk is also a really big piece of steak. That said, I don't get the sense this place is necessarily using ultra high-end Japanese (or similar) beef.

That said, tomahawks at a really good steakhouse usually are something around $100-$125.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-13-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
$275 does not seem expensive for 6 steaks for 3 couples.

$275 each seems like a lot for a single steak unless it kobe or something.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 01-14-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:28 PM

What a scam.

It’s maybe $100 in gold leaf.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
What a scam.

It’s maybe $100 in gold leaf.
That link is $50 for 250 square inches. 2 foot by 10 inch.

Personally, I was given a gold leaf face mask. It was so cheap that it was free (a give-away to get my email address). Though, to be fair, it was also so expensive that someone had stolen it out of the free gift.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:03 PM

From the article:
Quote:
Miranda’s not alone. Nusr-Et steakhouse has called the police on customers disputing a massive check at least a dozen times since it opened in November 2017.
Sounds like either their servers are incompetent when it comes to getting the orders right or else they're just trying to run a scam on people by serving them the "special" option if they can get away with it.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:29 PM

WTH is edible gold foil?
Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
WTH is edible gold foil?
Exactly what it sounds like.
Gold is inert, so it can be eaten safely. But, it’s also pretty tasteless and unappetizing. Why anyone would want their meat covered in it is a mystery to me.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Gold is inert, so it can be eaten safely. But, it’s also pretty tasteless and unappetizing. Why anyone would want their meat covered in it is a mystery to me.
It would just give you some very expensive poop.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
It would just give you some very expensive poop.
Sounds like the time our dog ate some Xmas tree tinsel. But cheaper.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Because rich people are weird.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 01-12-2020 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
They just have more money.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Nah, real rich people don't care about this kind of stuff. It's the newly maybe have some money and want to look rich that do stuff like this.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Sounds to me like there is a perfectly good reason for gold foil - though perhaps not for the customer - but certainly for the owner of the restaurant.

I am so fed up with stories about people who have more money than they know what to do with. Naturally, these stories usually include people who know how to take advantage of these "golden" opportunities. They present an outrageous bill to the customer and that is just the beginning of the fun.

I resist getting the reputation of being a "know-it-all". If I was one, I would try to tell you all about this scam and exactly what to do if you are the customer as well as what to do if you are the owner.

Surely the owner knows about this scam and if the customer is willing to pay the outrageous price or if they can be "persuaded" one way or another, then it is happy days for the owner.

If the customer decides to become loud and maybe put up some kind of fight - either legally or illegally - that is where the wrangling may begin. Maybe the owner will persuade the customer to pay a portion of the extortion. If not, what is the worst that can happen to the owner? They may get sued or they may have to endure a nasty story accompanied by a complaint to the BBB (Better Business Bureau). But I suspect that more often than not, the customer will just pay - especially if they are there with their spouse and/or some guests. They may decide they do not want to appear to be "cheap" in front of their guests.

If I am correct about this scam, I would guess the owner wins maybe enough of the time to make this very profitable. The owner will not care about any bad publicity. The profit will more than make up for any complaints about the restaurant. After all, what is the worst that can happen to the owner? It seems to me to be extremely difficult to convict them of a crime. Bottom line? I think someone may have discovered a wonderful - even "golden" opportunity - to make a whole bunch of money with very little risk. Consider the risk v reward ratio. That should make things very clear.

What a scam!

The only defense may be to make sure the waiter quotes the full price before ordering. So sad!

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-13-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

nm

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; Yesterday at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
WTH is edible gold foil?
Probably the rich person's version of glitter capsules (and I'm NOT talking about edible glitter, which is usually just dyed sugar).

https://www.amazon.com/Edible-Gold-L.../dp/B0006GSQYK

Here's a link to a story about something that is probably giving GI doctors everywhere nightmares.

https://www.disclose.tv/people-now-e...R2NlHjwd1wYWEY
Old 01-13-2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
From the article:
Sounds like either their servers are incompetent when it comes to getting the orders right or else they're just trying to run a scam on people by serving them the "special" option if they can get away with it.
Sounds like a giant scam.

How many other people just quietly paid their bills and resented the place for it? Probably endless dozens more.

Not sure how this is legal.

'oh you ordered a coke? I thought you wanted the coke with gold ice cubes that cost $100'
Old 01-12-2020, 10:41 PM

Still think I'm a rube for sticking with Outback?
Old 01-13-2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
Still think I'm a rube for sticking with Outback?
Do you know how many outback tomahawk steaks you can get for $1000?
Old 01-12-2020, 10:45 PM

Heck, try some Goldschläger with that. Live a little!
Old 01-12-2020, 10:52 PM

Gold leaf? Bah! I want my steak with platinum! https://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/g...leaf/platinum/
Old 01-12-2020, 10:57 PM

This week on New Yankee Workshop: Norm Abram gold leafs a steak!
Old 01-13-2020, 12:40 AM

I only paid $560 (and a Subway sandwich) for my Jeep!
Old 01-13-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I only paid $560 (and a Subway sandwich) for my Jeep!
What kind of sandwich? 12 inch meatball with extra peppers and I'd say it was a good trade!
Old 01-13-2020, 12:54 AM

As someone who casually waits tables from time to time, this is the kind of shit that pisses me off from restaurants. It's rough enough without having every third customer thinking I'm trying to screw them out of money because some other jackass pulls this shit.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Sounds like the time our dog ate some Xmas tree tinsel. But cheaper.
Did it give him tinselitus?
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:45 PM

We don't know for sure that he didn't order the gold steak and try to weasel his way out of it. It is a douche said-douche said situation.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
We don't know for sure that he didn't order the gold steak and try to weasel his way out of it. It is a douche said-douche said situation.
Yeah, I was about to say, this whole news story is based on a Facebook post by the customer.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
That article tries to make a big deal out of the customer ordering a bunch of $25-$50 menu items. But, no matter how many $45 appetizers or drinks the guy bought, there's still a very significant difference between a $250 steak and a $1,000 one and I can't see myself feeling like "Ha, ha, that's what you get you $33 item orderer!" when they throw another $750(x3) onto the bill.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
It says in the linked story

Quote:
After an hour with the police, Miranda and his five companions agreed to pay the bill
I'm interest in the role of the police in this situation, assuming that a customer is not simply trying to abscond. Surely it's not the role of the police to simply enforce payment of whatever the restaurant demands in a situation where there appears to be a bona fide dispute over the amount due? Isn't this a matter for the civil courts?
Old 01-13-2020, 01:22 PM

Edible gold foil is a conspicuous consumption item, it's something expensive to add to show off that you've got money to spend or just to eat something particularly extravagant for the sake of extravagance. It's not generally some kind of scam by the restaurant owner, it's catering to people who want to spend money. I find it hard to believe the story that this guy went to a really expensive restaurant and they tried to push the gold-wrapped steak on him as some kind of scam, it sounds more like the guy trying to scam the restaurant or get his 15 minutes of fame with the public dispute and 'lab analysis' of the gold.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I doubt that the customer is trying to scam the restaurant by ordering the expensive item but disputing the bill. If he wanted a really good steak, he was getting that already (at least, I would hope so, at those prices). The only reason to want the gold foil is to show off "Look, I can waste money!", and if he disputes the bill, he's not getting that benefit.

It is, of course, still possible that he's lying about it, not to get an expensive steak, but just to get attention.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
The only reason to want the gold foil is to show off "Look, I can waste money!", and if he disputes the bill, he's not getting that benefit.
Exactly. In fact, by disputing the bill (and making a public stink), he's pretty much saying that he's absolutely NOT the kind of guy who can throw around an extra $2,250 on gold foil and not care. The diametric opposite of why you'd order the foil in the first place.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:36 PM

I just want to add in that at many restaurants the lighting is so dim and the writing on menus so strange its often hard to see the prices.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:18 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
I resist getting the reputation of being a "know-it-all". If I was one, I would try to tell you all about this scam and exactly what to do if you are the customer as well as what to do if you are the owner.

Surely the owner knows about this scam and if the customer is willing to pay the outrageous price or if they can be "persuaded" one way or another, then it is happy days for the owner.

!
I am getting suspicious enough about such postings on Facebook that I swear, if I were going to one of these level expensive places I would covertly record the exchange with the waiter when I make my order so I can prove without a doubt that I did not order or could prove the waitron was scamming [though I always confirm prices by stating the dollars/cents clearly - You mean thirty five dollars and fifty cents...I have worked in places that did carry multithousand dollar bottles and am aware how many scams can be worked. SInce we are going to be living within fancy dinner driving distance of Las Vegas and Reno, having a liking of going out a couple times a year for a seriously expensive fancy specialty dinner, we are going to have to be aware of this type of possible scam. Also, having serious allergies, if I think it warranted, I would like to prove that I indeed did specify something without whatever ingredient I need to avoid [at a place in Vegas we asked for the bread basket to be removed because one of the offerings in the basket had mushrooms and while I don't think something from the opposite end would be contaminated by direct contact, the person handling the shroom bread is also touching the nonshroom bread and I refuse to risk even that slight a cross contamination. When I explained it to the waiter, he was perfectly wonderful about it, and making sure that he pointed out everything that I couldn't have, and the chef was careful when he prepped my stuff as well. He actually made me a special side from scratch to avoid the one they normally made that would have been a problem =) ]

[in Las Vegas the place mrAru and I had dinner had a bottle of some sort of brandy that was selling for around a thousand bucks a SHOT ....]
Old 01-14-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
[in Las Vegas the place mrAru and I had dinner had a bottle of some sort of brandy that was selling for around a thousand bucks a SHOT ....]
In northern California wine country a slightly (not super) upscale eatery served show-off drinkers genuine mezcal at US$250 per shot. We bought the exact same product in Mitla, Oaxaca for US$15 per liter. I guess their shipping charge was steep.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post

Question: Did the ordinary bartender pout and serve it?

The same for the $1300 bottle of wine. would they have an ordinary waiter deliver it?

the reason I'm asking is I would think anyone getting a product that cost so much would have the manager or other high level person bring it out. I mean what if the bartender spilled that $600 shot or the waiter dropped that bottle?

And how the hell could you as a consumer know if its a scam like if they took the label off one bottle of wine and stuck in on another or maybe they did the same with that whiskey? Ordinary bars all the time will put cheap whiskey in say a Jack Daniels bottle.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:01 PM

It's pretty amazing to me that gold is used in so many ways, some useful but mostly frivolous, considering that all of it that has ever been mined can fit into a 20 meter per side cube...

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21969100

Last edited by Jackknifed Juggernaut; 01-13-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

I read the thread title as "SORRY about unexpectedly large steakhouse bill" and assumed this was a business-expense-reimbursement story.

Like that time I tried to no avail to convince my colleagues that NO, Ruth's Chris is not similar in price to an Outback, and YES, if we are going we need to dress up, or at least not wear ratty shorts. Luckily I was not most-senior-in-country* so the meal did not go on my card nor my expense report.

*The rule in the large multi-national company I worked for was that the most-senior person in attendance from the country you were in paid the bill and did the expense reporting. If no one from the host country was attending it devolved to simply most-senior or separate checks. More than once I was the one to pay for meal expenses for a senior director, even though I was pretty low in the hierarchy at my office. Got lots of credit card points, so it was OK by me.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:18 PM

Here's the menu:
https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...c30G-BUQ/o.jpg

I mean, if my steak came out covered in gold, I probably would've said something about it.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Here's the menu:
https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...c30G-BUQ/o.jpg

I mean, if my steak came out covered in gold, I probably would've said something about it.
Too exclusive to put $ dollar signs on their menu. I guess their customers think that drawing attention to the price is declasse.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

A friend and I spent $290 + tip at the Capital Grille on Christmas Eve. 2 starters, 2 steaks, 2 sides (to share), 2 martinis, 2 glasses of red wine, 2 dessert wines.
We fully expected to spend around $400 + tip and were slightly disappointed in ourselves.

Note: this was the whole of our Christmas. Neither of us have family to buy presents for, so we decided we could go all out on a Christmas meal.

ETA: My point, I Guess, is that there is no question that a high end steak house can be expensive, but $275 just for a steak is pretty far out!

Last edited by Motorgirl; 01-13-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorgirl View Post
A friend and I spent $290 + tip at the Capital Grille on Christmas Eve. 2 starters, 2 steaks, 2 sides (to share), 2 martinis, 2 glasses of red wine, 2 dessert wines.
Capital Grille is crap. They don't even wrap their steaks in edible gold foil.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
The wife and I just ate there (in DC) last night. That was one tasty slice of meat heaven! No gold wrapping though .

The wife and I talked about this last night at the Capital Grille. We both worked in restaurants in our younger days, and we discussed some of the drink and dinner embellishments that the owners would come up with, for no reason other than to see if people would pay stupid money just to say they did. And we'd just shake our heads when someone would order it realizing how amazing stupid it was.

One thing that I could remember was the lobster wrapped in fresh seaweed. We'd knock out the lobster wrap it in seaweed and boil it with the seaweed attached. We take it to the table, and the chef would cut the lobster out of the seaweed, and open it at the table, and serve the tail and claw meat. It was like $125! Man, we crank those things out!. How amazing stupid it was.

The good thing? Our tips would (sometimes) skyrocket with it!

Last edited by spifflog; 01-14-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Truth
Old 01-13-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Silver foil is also edible. Certain Desserts in India are commonly covered with edible silver foil. It doesn’t add significantly to the price.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Silver foil is also edible. Certain Desserts in India are commonly covered with edible silver foil. It doesn’t add significantly to the price.
I’ve had silver-wrapped chicken at numerous Chinese restaurants. I never eat the silver wrapping though. The one time I tried, the instant the silver touched my fillings, I nearly went through the ceiling.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-13-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
The one time I tried, the instant the silver touched my fillings, I nearly went through the ceiling.
Are you sure that wasn't aluminum foil?