Old 01-11-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
"...He became one of the most influential Christian leaders in the world, ...
Oh, so the religion is Christianity. And you believe Trump is a Christian? In what way has Trump demonstrated this?

Last edited by bobot; 01-11-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane
But, there cannot be a religious test for holding office and Positive Thinking is/was taught as a religious principle. [post 29]

He cannot be removed because there can be no religious test for public office. [Post 37]

Since Trump's relation to truth is based on religion it cannot be a test for holding the Presidency.[Post 49]
I'm not sure why you are obsessing on this point. No one is pushing for removing Trump based on his religious beliefs.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I'm not sure why you are obsessing on this point. No one is pushing for removing Trump based on his religious beliefs.
I'm not positive, but I think the OP believes that the America-hating fuckstick's religion renders him completely invulnerable to removal from the presidency for any reason.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-11-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Trump's delusional world view is the product of his religious education. The result is that he has no ability to deal with objective fact. His utterances are not related to truth. Peale reality = "I think therefore it is".

Since Trump's relation to truth is based on religion it cannot be a test for holding the Presidency.
You need to understand that it doesn't matter if it's this religion that you claim, or it's just that he's a stupid asshole. Doesn't matter one bit.

Religious nut jobs, or stupid assholes are in the same group.

Perhaps you think Trump is both. I don't think 'religion' for whatever form you care to define it, has a thing to do with why Trump is a stupid asshole. And I don't care what made him a stupid asshole. Perhaps that was how he was born, or his destiny. Perhaps both. Doesn't matter one bit.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:34 AM

There seems to be a philosophical and semantic point, is an untruth a lie if the speaker believes it to be true? It's still an untruth, but is it a lie ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
And by what medium do you suppose Trump absorbs his teachings?
It is true that Donald Trump is a follower of Peale. His parents were members of the church where Peale was pastor. Donald grew up listening to his sermons. And Donald stayed a follower. Peale officiated at his first wedding to Ivana.

This article discusses the connection.

Quote:
Trump's delusional world view is the product of his religious education. The result is that he has no ability to deal with objective fact. His utterances are not related to truth. Peale reality = "I think therefore it is".

Since Trump's relation to truth is based on religion it cannot be a test for holding the Presidency.

This is not true. While there is no religious test for office, that doesn't mean anything claimed to be a religious belief has to be allowed. If so, we couldn't prosecute those religious nuts that say their religion requires them to marry thirteen year olds.

Congress could impeach him and remove him for office for being a reckless idiot who has squandered our national influence and weakened our ties to our allies, or for starting a war with Iran without authorization, or for betraying or allies (Kurds) and strengthening our adversaries (Russia). Or they could impeach him for wearing a tan suit. The question is, will they?

Pealism and Positive Thinking aren't a defense against criminal behavior and stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Oh, so the religion is Christianity. And you believe Trump is a Christian? In what way has Trump demonstrated this?
No, the religion is Norman Vincent Pealism, a sect of Christianity with a lot of stuff slathered on top. Trump's religion is positive thinking and self-aggrandizement, not the Jesus stuff.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Perhaps true from our standpoint. But to understand what's going on we have to see it from Trump's perspective.

His world view is totally delusional. That makes him unfit for public office and he should be removed. However, his world view is based in his religious education. He cannot be removed because there can be no religious test for public office.
You have failed to articulate why we must see it from Trump's eyes. In fact, you have only told us why such an interpretation is undesirable. You have even told us that it is the argument that Trump's supporters make.

I see no reason that I should care how Trump sees anything. What matters is that what he's saying is false and causing harm. If you care about not causing harm, then you should want to prevent him from having power.

If you want him to stay in power, then you need to come up with a reason why you can't remove him. Not all defenses of someone actually say "He's the greatest ever." Sometimes they agree something is bad, but argue there is no choice.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
No, the religion is Norman Vincent Pealism, a sect of Christianity with a lot of stuff slathered on top. Trump's religion is positive thinking and self-aggrandizement, not the Jesus stuff.
If it lacks the Jesus stuff, then it isn't Pealism. It isn't a form of Christianity at all. The Secret is not a religion.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:20 PM

So if a worshiper of Satan's Cult of Child Sacrificers were running for office good on him because his beliefs are his RELIGION so he can't be faulted for his RELIGIOUS beliefs. I guess sacrificing children is against the law, but Trumps lies aren't?