Old 01-11-2020, 09:14 AM

Shocking
Old 01-11-2020, 10:15 AM

Rush was my first concert experience in 1984.

I am deeply saddened by Neil's passing.

My Uber passengers will now be enjoying the Rush Channel until further notice whilst I drive, teary eyed, on through the night.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:33 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Here's a neat article somebody posted on my FB feed yesterday (it seems like most of my friends are Rush fans, judging by the volume of teary posts). It's about Neil's dad and how proud he was of his son when he went off to live his dream by joining Rush.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
Here's a neat article somebody posted on my FB feed yesterday (it seems like most of my friends are Rush fans, judging by the volume of teary posts). It's about Neil's dad and how proud he was of his son when he went off to live his dream by joining Rush.
Thanks for this.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor View Post
Man, first Mitch Mitchell and now Neil Peart. My favorite drummers are dead.
Suggestion: insert "Ginger Baker" between Mitch and Neil.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:28 PM

Just adding my voice to the "this sucks" chorus.

Growing up in Cleveland, Rush was certainly popular and one of those bands who's music was always playing.

However, it wasn't until I had some Rush lyrics thrown back at me by a counselor at a very tough time in my life that I really started to "get" it. That lyric at that moment something clicked for me and enabled me to start getting out of where I was, and it's not an exaggeration to say I likely wouldn't be here today without that.

So, thanks Neil. I hope you find rest in peace.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:54 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

I donít have the musical vocabulary to talk about his unique musical genius. How every bar in every song was unique and meticulously crafted. Beyond his physical prowess at banging the drums, his talent at composing was unsurpassed. I think this article does a pretty good job of analyzing it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ribute-936430/
Old 01-12-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I donít have the musical vocabulary to talk about his unique musical genius. How every bar in every song was unique and meticulously crafted. Beyond his physical prowess at banging the drums, his talent at composing was unsurpassed. I think this article does a pretty good job of analyzing it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ribute-936430/
Terrific - thanks. Interesting how the fact that he wrote the lyrics made his drumming fit each part of a song better (including, by not getting in the way of the vocals); it wasnít just that he did two things well.

Loved this part:
ďI donít think itís an accident that his drumming uncluttered itself at more or less the exact moment his writing started tackling human emotion directly, without an extra layer of allegorical or sci-fi trappings.Ē
Old 01-13-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
How do most people pronounce Peart?

I've always said "pert," and CTV agrees, however two CBC news people have now said "peert."
The "E" is long.

Back when I worked at the grocery store pharmacy, I had several customers with that surname (and no, I'm not in Canada) and they always pointed this out when I pronounced their names correctly.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I found his mom Betty's Facebook page. She had last posted in 2017, but this implies that his parents are still alive. He knew all too well that nobody should outlive their children.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

FYI Sirius/XM is featuring Rush on channel 27

Brian
Old 01-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
I found his mom Betty's Facebook page. She had last posted in 2017, but this implies that his parents are still alive. He knew all too well that nobody should outlive their children.
According to one of the obituaries I read, at least his dad and all three of his siblings are still alive. Can't remember if it said his mom is too.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
We had a thread about which celebrity death will hit you the hardest. I have my answer. This one.
This....
Old 01-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogginit View Post
This....
Same here. I've been surprised over the last few days how much I've been thinking about Neil. I can't think of another celebrity death that's hit me harder, or that I've grieved this much over. I think the only one that might rival Neil is when Alan Parsons goes (hopefully not for a good long time).
Old 01-15-2020, 02:06 PM

I learned of Neil's passing over the weekend while I was on the road, somewhere in Oregon. I got home Sunday late so was not really able to start processing things until Monday. To me, it's like losing a friend from high school; someone you stayed in touch with over the years that reminded you of a different stage of life. The words, the music - fortunately we have all the recordings, interviews, and writings of this man. That his creativity is now silenced is sad, indeed. Neil left a positive mark on a lot of us. Thank you, Neil!
Old 01-20-2020, 07:02 PM

Still in denial. Fake news and all that. Think I saw something about tour dates...
Old 01-20-2020, 08:42 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lou...l-pearts-death

(sighs)

(rewinds cassette of Caress of Steel, presses play)