Old 01-11-2020, 11:01 AM

I've been able to get past the expired certificate to read, but then the board eats my posts. Let's see if I can get this one through...
Old 01-11-2020, 11:10 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Plus there's the fact that it's completely different people doing it this time than last. There's been a complete change in leadership since last year at this time. I doubt it's even the same tech people.

Sure, ideally they'd check the expiry when they took over. But I have a feeling that our admin is handling it herself, and she was kinda busy at that time. It's entirely understandable that Tuba didn't keep track of when the certificate would expire.

All this said, I don't see any reason not to use Let's Encrypt, which is both free and auto renews ever few months. Since Tuba was involved in handling the main site, I'm hoping she may have gotten a Let's Encrypt certificate and made this a problem of the past.
Yeah, the product I support is used by a bunch of multinationals and government orgs, and we have a constant stream of tickets saying their cert expired and they need assistance updating it NOW! I kind of see it as a failure of their processes (we had automated notifications set up when I worked in hosting), but it's far from an uncommon mistake. I see it all the time.

On top of that, you have to know all of the places you want to install the cert. I've helped more than one customer over the years track down where that request was being served from. Again, should be documented in your processes, but it's not a rare situation for it not to be.

Let's Encrypt is great, but you've got to be running in an environment that supports one of the clients. The product I support doesn't support it, so it's not an option for my customers.

So, yeah, not a stellar moment, but I have sympathy.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
The boards won't let me come in using https, so there's still definitely an issue. I had to prefix the URL with http://
It's working for me again using https.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:09 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

From where I'm sitting the site is secure and the certificate expires January 10 2021.

I AM seeing "HTTPS." in the web address bar. Is it possible that you are seeing "boards.straightdope.com" or some other variant? That would show as Not Secure and trigger warnings.

Would clearing cookies help? Please try that and see if tat helps.

Sorry for the troubles. I'm really really starting to hate weekends.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 01-11-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post
From where I'm sitting the site is secure and the certificate expires January 10 2021.

I AM seeing "HTTPS." in the web address bar. Is it possible that you are seeing "boards.straightdope.com" or some other variant? That would show as Not Secure and trigger warnings.

Would clearing cookies help? Please try that and see if tat helps.

Sorry for the troubles. I'm really really starting to hate weekends.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
As one data point, my Chrome on Windows 10 now shows a legit certificate, issued by Avast Web/Mails Shield Root, valid until 01/11/2021. The site works again without getting the certificate warning. But in the website info area (left to the address bar), there's still the red warning "not secure". I edited the URL by hand and inserted https:, and the site opens, but the "not secure" warning remains. That may confuse Chrome users, but rather seems to be a Chrome issue than having anything to do with the new certificate.

And as a fellow IT guy, I feel ya . It always happens on the weekends/holidays.

ETA: wait, I just opened the board on a second tab, and the red "not secure" is gone. So for Chrome users who get it still, my advice: close all current tabs with the SDMB and open a new one, and it should go away. Maybe that applies to other browsers too.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 01-11-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:49 PM

Acting normally again today. Chrome on Windows 10.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:25 PM

Clock error resolved... finally. Still pisses me off that it kept saying my clock was wrong when it wasn't. If it was an error due to the certificate expiring, then just say that, don't blame the fucking clock.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:05 PM
born to be shunned

Browser working normal.

Dopers still being abnormal.

Balance to the universe has returned.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

If you're still getting 'Not Secure' messages, try clearing cookies. Worked for me just now.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:59 PM

If any of us was normal, would we be here?
Old 01-11-2020, 10:35 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimnie View Post
If any of us was normal, would we be here?
Possibly. But we would be very confused.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:39 PM

When I read the board on Safari on my iPhone, it says “Not Secure” at the top of the page. I am running the newest version of iOS 13.