Old 01-13-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Bob's Burgers has Regular-sized Rudy, to distinguish him from Pocket-sized Rudy.
Terry Pratchett has "Medium" Dave Lilywhite, to distinguish him from all the other Dave Lilywhites.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:42 PM

I know a father and son who are known as Big Jim and Little Jim. It made more sense when we were kids, and little Jim was still little. But Little Jim grew up to be a foot taller than dad, 100 pounds heavier and built like a lumberjack.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
Terry Pratchett has "Medium" Dave Lilywhite, to distinguish him from all the other Dave Lilywhites.
He must really like that joke, considering this is the author who also had No'-As-Big-As-Medium-Jock-But-Bigger-Than-Wee-Jock Jock.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:26 PM

When I got ro high school, my older brother two years ahead already was called "LastName." Those who knew him called me "Little LastName." I didn't much care for either, so when I was given the nickname "Muscles" at the start of Sophomore year, I happily accepted. Heaven forbid people use real names.

Hockey player Joe Pavelski briefly got tagged with "Little Joe" due to playing with Joe Thornton who already had "Big Joe" and "Jumbo Joe." Fans etc wisely decided that wasn't there best nickname for a really good professional athlete. Along with "Pavs," we wound up with "The Big Pavelski" playing off the movie The Big Lebowski.

I worked with two Michaels at an event facility, one of Japanese decent and one was Scandinavian I think. At this facility we used colored tape to identify different microphones: red mic, blue mic, yellow, white, etc. Somebody joked that we should start calling the two Mikes "Yellow Mike" and "White Mike." This got laughs all around, but having Mikes surrounded by mics was confusing enough, and one of them gently let us know that wouldn't become a thing. Understandable.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:29 PM

We had only one Cub foods store in our town until they opened another by a new development. To distinguish between the two we called them Ghetto Cub and New Cub.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace309 View Post
Intentionally obtuse, or just born that way?
Born and raised in Hawaii where PC gets its but kicked everyday by us locals who understand and appreciate that all the different peoples were/are able to live on these on these tiny islands because we make fun of each other's differences and attributes and don't take things too seriously.

I'm probably the last generation where we were able to openly call each others names and be understood that it's a sign of affection and acceptance. Buddhahead, katonk, japanee, pake, yobo, borinki, portagee, popolo, olopop, blallah, tita, flip, sole, kanaka, haole, hapa, all words from my parents and ingrained in my mind. Do I use them everyday? No, but every once in a while someone will use it and memories of much simpler time will come back to me.

Oh! How crass and non-PC! So what! Nostalgia has certainly given me rose colored glasses, but unlike some others who lived here, my childhood days weren't filled with hatred, just a bunch of kids living and playing happily together. Born this way? Possibly. Intentionally obtuse? Probably. Proud to be a resident of Hawaii when things, at least for me, was much simpler and glad to having just a few more decades at most to put up with the ridiculousness of the PC extremes we're in and headed to and having no children to suffer with it!

Last edited by lingyi; 01-14-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Nostalgia has certainly given me rose colored glasses, but unlike some others who lived here, my childhood days weren't filled with hatred
Of course, your childhood days weren't filled with hatred. You were a Hawaiian who was growing up in Hawaii. And I'm a white guy who grew up in rural New England.

But if you had grown up in my hometown, you might have a different perspective. Those friendly nicknames might not have seemed so friendly if you had grown up looking different from the majority of people around you.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:10 PM

Not putting on my PC hat, just being respectful to the native people. A Hawaiian is someone with Hawaiian blood. I'm a Hawaii local or Hawaii born.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:44 PM

When I was working in Iraq, we had two guys on our team, for the purpose of this story, we'll call them Joe. One of them was killed in an attack while on the road. After that, our team would refer to them as Dead Joe and Not Dead Joe when clarification was needed (but only when amongst ourselves).
Old 01-20-2020, 11:06 AM

My great-grandfather was alive for the first four years of only maternal cousin's life. Like his dad and his grandfather, my cousin was named after great-grampy. So for a while they were Joe senior, Joe, Joey, and baby Joey. At least until one memorable holiday dinner when my then four-year-old cousin had a screaming meltdown insisting that "I'm not a baby!!!" which of course my then five-year-old brother and my eleven-year-old self immediately supported.

He was called Little Joe after that. Still is, actually
Old 01-20-2020, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I was working on a project once with a Finnish guy named Mika. He was a good sized guy, 6'3" tall or so and 240 pounds. When another guy named Mika showed up on the job we started to call the new guy Little Mika. This kind of upset Little Mika, because he wasn't little other than in comparison, he was in every respect average, or even a bit larger, but we already had a Mika, and we weren't going to change his name to Big Mika in the middle of the job. There was some discussions and we ended up going with Mika for the large one and Regular Mika for the average one.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
Hockey player Joe Pavelski briefly got tagged with "Little Joe" due to playing with Joe Thornton who already had "Big Joe" and "Jumbo Joe." Fans etc wisely decided that wasn't there best nickname for a really good professional athlete. Along with "Pavs," we wound up with "The Big Pavelski" playing off the movie The Big Lebowski.
When Pat Verbeek played right wing for the Rangers he was given the nickname "The Little Ball of Hate" to distinguish him from teammate Ray Ferraro, "The Big Ball of Hate".