Old 01-14-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post

[in Las Vegas the place mrAru and I had dinner had a bottle of some sort of brandy that was selling for around a thousand bucks a SHOT ....]
Question: Did the ordinary bartender pout and serve it?

The same for the $1300 bottle of wine. would they have an ordinary waiter deliver it?

the reason I'm asking is I would think anyone getting a product that cost so much would have the manager or other high level person bring it out. I mean what if the bartender spilled that $600 shot or the waiter dropped that bottle?

And how the hell could you as a consumer know if its a scam like if they took the label off one bottle of wine and stuck in on another or maybe they did the same with that whiskey? Ordinary bars all the time will put cheap whiskey in say a Jack Daniels bottle.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
WTH is edible gold foil?
Wow. It’s a thing.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Ooh! Ooh! Mr. Athena and I almost BECAME one of those stories!

We were in London on vacation this past fall, and one rainy day we found ourselves near the Savoy Hotel. A friend of ours had said it's worthwhile to duck into the bar there and have a drink since it's such a gorgeous and historic place. It being rainy and us being thirsty, we decided now was the time.

We sat at the bar, and perused their fancy seasonal cocktail list. One part of the list talked about "Vintage" cocktails, which we interpreted as being the classics - Sidecars, Vespers, etc. The other part of the list was their own concoctions, and that's the side we ordered off.

Later on, I was looking at their non-seasonal list, which had the same Vintage section. Only this time, it went into more depth, and explained that "Vintage" meant that the cocktails were made with vintage booze. Like, a bottle of Cognac from 1785, that kind of thing. And this menu listed the prices for the Vintage, which the other one did not (I think it said something like "varies depending on the cocktail itself.).

Most of those cocktails were $1K+

It would be totally and completely in character for one of us to have ordered one of those, thinking to ourselves "this is expensive but I'm on vacation and it'll be a splurge." But splurge, to us, is like.... maybe $80, tops, because the cocktail has some expensive booze in it. It never even occurred to us that a cocktail could be 4 figures. We dodged a bullet.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Capital Grille is crap. They don't even wrap their steaks in edible gold foil.
The wife and I just ate there (in DC) last night. That was one tasty slice of meat heaven! No gold wrapping though .

The wife and I talked about this last night at the Capital Grille. We both worked in restaurants in our younger days, and we discussed some of the drink and dinner embellishments that the owners would come up with, for no reason other than to see if people would pay stupid money just to say they did. And we'd just shake our heads when someone would order it realizing how amazing stupid it was.

One thing that I could remember was the lobster wrapped in fresh seaweed. We'd knock out the lobster wrap it in seaweed and boil it with the seaweed attached. We take it to the table, and the chef would cut the lobster out of the seaweed, and open it at the table, and serve the tail and claw meat. It was like $125! Man, we crank those things out!. How amazing stupid it was.

The good thing? Our tips would (sometimes) skyrocket with it!

Last edited by spifflog; 01-14-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:39 AM

In the "unexpectedly large bill" department, there's also this story:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/t...cli/index.html

Summary: a restaurant in Rome lists a "seafood-mixed dish" menu item at 6.5 Euros per 100 grams. The unwritten detail is that the dish actually weighs in at 2 kilos, which mean the final cost is about 130 Euros. Surprise!
Old 01-14-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
And how the hell could you as a consumer know if its a scam like if they took the label off one bottle of wine and stuck in on another or maybe they did the same with that whiskey? Ordinary bars all the time will put cheap whiskey in say a Jack Daniels bottle.
Jack Daniels bottles come pre-filled with cheap whiskey.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Jack Daniels bottles come pre-filled with cheap whiskey.
[slingblade]I like the way you talk[/slingblade]
Old 01-14-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

It's possible that some places have a gold-wrapped option even without expecting to sell any, just for the perceived value. "Yeah, we ate at this super-fancy steakhouse. How fancy? Well, you can order a steak covered in gold there." Never mind that the person telling the story didn't actually order the gold, but it's the sort of steakhouse where they could have.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Forget the $1000 each. How the hell could anyone be so stupid as to order ones that cost $275 (separately or together)?!?
$275 does not seem expensive for 6 steaks for 3 couples.

$275 each seems like a lot for a single steak unless it kobe or something.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 01-14-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

It's not Kobe but it is Wagyu beef and if you look at the photos, it's pretty big. (I'm not a steak eater, so I can't tell you how many it can feed.)

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 01-14-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
It's not Kobe but it is Wagyu beef and if you look at the photos, it's pretty big. (I'm not a steak eater, so I can't tell you how many it can feed.)
That steak would have to be at least 40 oz for me to even consider it and at the point I think it's prime rib not steak. $6/oz is the most I could spend even for something crazy and they are probably serving a 24 or 26 oz steak.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Capital Grille is crap. They don't even wrap their steaks in edible gold foil.
Truth
Old 01-14-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
It's possible that some places have a gold-wrapped option even without expecting to sell any, just for the perceived value. "Yeah, we ate at this super-fancy steakhouse. How fancy? Well, you can order a steak covered in gold there." Never mind that the person telling the story didn't actually order the gold, but it's the sort of steakhouse where they could have.
That, and the super-crazy-expensive dish can make the crazy-expensive dish seem more reasonable. "Yeah, I paid three hundred dollars for a steak, but I didn't get the thousand dollar steak; that would have been crazy!" That's certainly part of the reason to have expensive wine on the list.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:44 PM

After reading the first few posts, I was under the impression that the restaurant was trying to pull something, but then some of the links offered by other posters swayed me.
(1) The 275 tomahawk is not listed as Wagyu; the 1000 gold tomahawk is Wagyu. A good chunk of the upcharge is the cut of meat itself, not just the gold leaf.
(2) Based on the picture, the gold tomahawk has more than a little gold on it. It's encased in gold leaf. There is no way, an ordinary diner gets that served to them and think, "yes, this is perfectly normal."

Not the type of restaurant I'd like to visit, but I don't think they are doing anything "wrong."

My main experience with Kobe Beef was at a restaurant where we ordered one 2 oz serving "just to try it" but the kitchen made a mistake (or were extraordinarily generous) and made a 2 oz for each of us (3 people). They served the extra to us with their complements. We are very happy to go to this restaurant as repeat customers.

Last edited by sachertorte; 01-14-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
We don't know for sure that he didn't order the gold steak and try to weasel his way out of it. It is a douche said-douche said situation.
It says in the linked story

Quote:
After an hour with the police, Miranda and his five companions agreed to pay the bill
I'm interest in the role of the police in this situation, assuming that a customer is not simply trying to abscond. Surely it's not the role of the police to simply enforce payment of whatever the restaurant demands in a situation where there appears to be a bona fide dispute over the amount due? Isn't this a matter for the civil courts?
Old 01-14-2020, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachertorte View Post
My main experience with Kobe Beef was at a restaurant where we ordered one 2 oz serving "just to try it" but the kitchen made a mistake (or were extraordinarily generous) and made a 2 oz for each of us (3 people). They served the extra to us with their complements. We are very happy to go to this restaurant as repeat customers.
You (the general "you") do have to be careful as to what is labeled as "Kobe." If it was priced at $20-$60/oz, then it was probably the real deal. If not, then it's probably some American-raised Wagyu. I'm guessing if what you ordered was 2 oz, then it probably was plenty expensive and authentic Kobe, but just wanted to put it out there that the term can be abused ("American Kobe" or "Kobe-style" is what you may find, although I've been to pubs where they serve a "Kobe burger with a beer" for $10, and you can bet that's not authentic Kobe (besides, why would you want to turn it into a burger to begin with?)

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-14-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:54 PM

Thinking about it more, it makes no sense for the restaurant to pull this kind of scam. I could see it if the steaks were otherwise the same meat, but since one is Wagyu and the other is not, this is a fairly risky scam to pull. If the diners recognized the mistake and sent the steak back, the restaurant would have lost valuable product.

Also, I'd expect there to be examples of people who did send the gold version back. So far, it seems like the only people who get scammed are the ones who don't notice until the bill comes.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
If it was priced at $20-$60/oz, then it was probably the real deal.
Let's just say, we felt like we won the lottery.
Though, we are more prone to splurge there now, so maybe the house wins anyway.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachertorte View Post
(1) The 275 tomahawk is not listed as Wagyu; the 1000 gold tomahawk is Wagyu. A good chunk of the upcharge is the cut of meat itself, not just the gold leaf.
Someone linked to the menu upthread. The listing for the tomahawk doesn't specifically say Wagyu but above the various steaks is something about how 99% of the steaks are Wagyu. So it's quite likely that the ungilded tomahawk steak is also Wagyu. (Also I can't imagine them having two types of tomahawk steak on hand; seems like an inventory nightmare.)
Old 01-14-2020, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

And if the ungilded one isn't Wagyu, then it makes the $275 price tag even more ridiculous.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:51 PM

Yeah, the menu says that 99% of their "meat selection" is Wagyu. I'd assume that the non-Wagyu stuff is going into the burger or spaghetti sauce, not being served as a $275 tomahawk-style steak.

Rather than one side trying to scam the other, I'd say the most probable answer is that the server screwed up and transmitted the wrong order. In which case the restaurant should still be covering it.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I am damn near tempted to buy this just to put a postage stamp of gold on something like a hot pocket for an ironic picture after seeing how cheap it is.

https://www.amazon.com/Edible-Genuin...08936322&psc=1.

Next time I can't think of anything useful to fill out 5 more bucks to get free shipping, I think I will.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

It's a little tricky to work with. If you separate the gold from the paper backing, it's very delicate, easily torn and will move around with air currents.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Silver foil is also edible. Certain Desserts in India are commonly covered with edible silver foil. It doesn’t add significantly to the price.
I was already thinking that somewhere, foodies are earnestly pontificating or arguing over which foils properly accompany which foods.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:41 PM

Of course, gold and silver are cheap. If you want to look really rich, you should use Enriched Plutonium foil.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, gold is very expensive, if measured by the ounce or by the cubic inch. But measured by the square inch, it's very cheap, because it can be shaped into much thinner layers than almost any other substance.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 PM
SDSAB

Slackers. If my pot roast isn't wrapped in plutonium foil, I'm not even picking up my fork.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Of course, gold and silver are cheap. If you want to look really rich, you should use Enriched Plutonium foil.
Yeah, but that stuff's pretty high-calorie.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
To put gold foil on their steaks. Yeah, and I as a plebe just put screws and bolts into my müsli.
But no nuts?

Sorry. I just couldn't resist.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
But no nuts?

Sorry. I just couldn't resist.
No, I'm allergic to nuts .
Old 01-15-2020, 09:53 PM

Apparently gold food is a really stupid trend.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemann
Surely it's not the role of the police to simply enforce payment of whatever the restaurant demands in a situation where there appears to be a bona fide dispute over the amount due? Isn't this a matter for the civil courts?
Ah, memories. Among the pleasures of serving in law enforcement in Florida was enforcing state statute 509.151, "Defrauding an Innkeeper" (note that a value of over $1,000 is a felony).

It's right at that border of criminal/civil. I mean, really, it's a civil dispute, but the criminal law was created for vagrants and assorted miscreants who might make a habit of such shenanigans, and is usually enforced (criminally) when the diners flee the scene.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
One of the items in the first link is called a Douche Burger...

BTW, I do remember reading about edible gold in a magazine back in the late 70s or early 80s.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:52 AM

Gold plated food sounds like one of those things we'd laugh at people in previous eras doing.

"Did you know that they used to wrap their food in gold and eat it because they thought it made them look fancy in 18th century Versailles?"
Old 01-16-2020, 11:29 AM

Salt Bae Tomahawk vs Golden Tomahawk. They don't sound alike, so unless the restaurant is noisy I don't see how the server misheard.

That said, while I have been a server, I have never been a high-end steakhouse server. We have eaten in a few (not this level, but Bern's in Tampa and Ruth's Chris) and my experience on both sides of the table is that the I/server tends to go out of their way to clarify what is being ordered when it's gets pricey.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
Salt Bae Tomahawk vs Golden Tomahawk. They don't sound alike, so unless the restaurant is noisy I don't see how the server misheard.

That said, while I have been a server, I have never been a high-end steakhouse server. We have eaten in a few (not this level, but Bern's in Tampa and Ruth's Chris) and my experience on both sides of the table is that the I/server tends to go out of their way to clarify what is being ordered when it's gets pricey.
"I'd like the Tomahawk steak".

"Golden?"

(not at all listening, unaware there were 2 choices) "Sure".

FWIW, when I worked at a restaurant, wait staff were instructed to always try an upsell, even a hidden upsell. So if someone ordered a glass of "house red", at say $4, the waitstaff would reply "Merlot?", as if they were clarifying which red they wanted, even though a glass of Merlot was a seperate menu item that was $6.50. So this could easily have been a hidden upsell like that. Especially if they're calling the police a few times a month over bullshit like this.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Well, the "tomahawk steak" itself is just a novelty, at best. It's literally just a ribeye with the rib bone still attached, an honor for which you will pay a 200-300% premium.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Here's the menu:
https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...c30G-BUQ/o.jpg

I mean, if my steak came out covered in gold, I probably would've said something about it.
Too exclusive to put $ dollar signs on their menu. I guess their customers think that drawing attention to the price is declasse.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Well, the "tomahawk steak" itself is just a novelty, at best. It's literally just a ribeye with the rib bone still attached, an honor for which you will pay a 200-300% premium.
Yes, it's ridiculous. It's one of those things designed to be flashy and attract attention from the other tables. (Plus how does that work on the table? Don't you need a bunch of room for the bone sticking out?)
Old 01-16-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
What a scam.

It’s maybe $100 in gold leaf.
That link is $50 for 250 square inches. 2 foot by 10 inch.

Personally, I was given a gold leaf face mask. It was so cheap that it was free (a give-away to get my email address). Though, to be fair, it was also so expensive that someone had stolen it out of the free gift.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:02 PM

This is why, when I state my order, I also point to what I want on the menu. It reduces confusion.

Last edited by Moriarty; 01-16-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:33 PM

nm

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 01-17-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Apparently there's a restaurant in Rome whose business model is based on screwing customers, tourists especially, via ambiguous/deceptive menu descriptions.

TLDR: customers think they're ordering a sampler platter at a few euros per hundred grams, then get brought kilos of food. That, and a mandatory tip, equals a bill of several hundred euros.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Already mentioned upthread. BTW, the fix for this sort of thing is to specify that you want only 100 grams (or whatever amount).

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 01-18-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
Too exclusive to put $ dollar signs on their menu. I guess their customers think that drawing attention to the price is declasse.
I don't imagine that it's snobbery, but rather just good graphic design.